WR Rishard Matthews Done in Tennessee - Signed by the Jets

26CornerBlitz

It's not clear what is going on with RM and the Titans. It's an odd way of going about it but it's possible that this is just a player on a one year deal and needing production to maximize his value venting his displeasure at the lack of targets. Vrabel's position is normal coach speak: you earn your role on game day based on how well you are executing in the offence in practice. RM was unable to practice through most of the off season due to miniscus surgery and an injured ACL. Given the injury to Delaney Walker and the inexperience of their WR group, the Titans may well be interested in retaining him so it's possible that the team and the player resolve their differences.

Its hard to know exactly how the Bills might feel about RW. There is little doubt that he would upgrade our passing game. OTOH the "process" folks might be wary of him. They may think that he went about dealing with his issue in the wrong way. They may feel that he should have gone about resolving this internally without all the drama by earning a bigger role and more targets in the normal way. And while a player is free to negotiate his own deal without an agent his having done that might strike some as odd and maybe a sign of poor judgement. I don't know where the Bills are at regarding the whole kneeling/protest thing but it may be relevant that RM was amongst the more visible Titans taking a position aligned with CK.  In any case he would not necessarily be seen as the easiest guy to assimilate to a new lockerroom and culture. Not criticizing the player, just saying that he is an outspoken kind of guy with a personality. If his request to be released were regarded as " all about me" he might not be seen as a process/team oriented player.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

I cant wrap my mind around why Buffalo is dragging its feet on OL and WR.  Its blatantly obvious our WRs are the worst in the league by a mile, our OL is swiss cheese.  If they cared so much about their qb investment why are they letting him get blitzkrieg'd and let down by garbage wrs.  Am i missing something?

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Enough of everyone going to help out NE

If I'm the Titans I trade him to an NFC team.

But we all know how this will go... He'll end up in NE and suddenly their offense will be great again and they will go 13-3 and end up in the Super Bowl

Or, we could offer him the opportunity to sign at halftime of the Titans game and start in the second half!  How could he turn that down - would be all the talk on the sports channels and twitter....   ;)

... yes, I know, there are rules about this, but the juxtaposition with the Davis situation would be hilarious. 

We should be in on this. This is a good opportunity here for him. He's been a solid #2 receiver and could be a good fit opposite Benjamin. Still would be a mediocre WR core but baby steps in the right direction. 

We need to give Allen better options to throw to. The more guys that get open the less likely he'll be to run the ball and risk injury. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, mead107 said:

Can he handle Josh Allen’s balls?  

We all know Allen's balls are hard, at least most of the time.

But Matthews said in a recent interview that he doesn't mind hard balls and he feels he can handle them well.

If Robiske thinks he can get something out of Matthews and get him to buy in, then we need to bring him in asap and get him signed. I didn't remember this connection, but it's important and I'm hoping Robiske reaches out to the McD and Beane and convinces them it's worth the risk. We have the cap $$ and this would be the best use of it now.  Plus once Matthews gets to know SuperJosh, he'll want the chance to pad his numbers to get a bigger contract next year. He'd immediately be our #2 and with KB dogging it, he may have a chance to get even more targets.  

Edited by BillsRdue

34 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Why was he being marginalized in Tennessee?  Was his play falling off?  I don't watch the Titans at all, but looking at their list of receivers.. it's hard to imagine a decent player struggling for playing time in that particular position group. 

I believe the Titans run a lot of 1 and 2 WR sets. For example, Tajae Sharp is their #2 WR in terms of snaps this season, and even he has only been on the field for a little over half the offensive snaps. Add on top of that the fact that their QB play has been pathetic and they only attempt 27 passes per game, you have all the makings of an underutilized WR.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to WR Rishard Matthews Done in Tennessee - Requested and Received His Release

I have always liked him. Thought Miami never really realised what they had there. Then he has been good in Tennessee. Does he want to sign a deal for just the rest of this year? Or a 2 year deal where this year is fully guaranteed and next to nothing is next year? 

If not then my answer is still no. 

35 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Did he play for the Panthers?  If not, we won’t sign him. 

Good one man.

I'll bet Hyde, Poyer, Lewis, Lacey, Stanford, Trent Murphy, Yarbrough, Orchard, Ducasse, Marcus Murphy, Ivory, Holmes, Hauschka, and Bojorquez would think that's pretty funny!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

You would think we’d at least throw a late conditional like we received from Newhouse at him. 

Unless teams think they’ll be able to pick him up cheaper than his current deal. 

He’s officially a FA, no need to give away picks.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think this one depends on Terry Bs recommendation to Bean.  He would know whether this guy can can in and help or is just another trouble maker type.  

I think this comes down to Matthews.  I’m confident that we’ll be talking to him.....but does he want to play here?  That’s the question imo.  We won’t be the only team calling 

He developed in Miami under the Dennis Hickey regime as well. So that's a front office connection. Brian Gaine, who was with us last year, was assistant GM when he was drafted. Nothing earth shattering, but connections. The Robiskie connection is probably the strongest one. I think he would be a good add, but he is not a big deal. Solid contributer. 

• Like (+1) 2

Does he have good hands?   I mean, generally I'd say WR's do, but after watching the drop-fest at Minn I'm questioning that ! 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

He developed in Miami under the Dennis Hickey regime as well. So that's a front office connection. Brian Gaine, who was with us last year, was assistant GM when he was drafted. Nothing earth shattering, but connections. The Robiskie connection is probably the strongest one. I think he would be a good add, but he is not a big deal. Solid contributer. 

Solid contributer=#1 or 2 WR on this team at the current time.  

• Like (+1) 2

I honestly don't know if anyone has asked this question because I haven't read through this thread, but who does he replace?

If you assume a WR, just for argument sake, do you want to give up on Foster and his speed right now?  Ray-Ray?  We know they love Holmes on ST, and they are not letting go of KB and ZJ.

I want better receivers, too, but it starts to get tricky when the talent level comes close to looking parallel.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts