LeSean McCoy says he’s playing vs GB even though cutting is still an issue

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I actually think Ivory's style helped us more Vs the Vikings. He's more of a straight ahead runner, which I think suits the limited abilities of this offensive line.

Ivory is a strong backup, but McCoy is an elite talent. Ivory would break down if he had to be the lead back for more than a few games.

McCoy has been the focus of the offense for the last three years - the QB was really just a point guard or a complementary piece. What's interesting is that Daboll is now getting the chance to build "The Josh Allen offense" and figure out how the running game fits into it. Your point is valid in the sense that we can't have JA facing a ton of 2nd and 14s because McCoy got blown up in the backfield. But I'll still take a future HoFer over Ivory any day of the week.

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It's been the only knock on Shady since his Philly days... he needs to run more north/south.   Instead of the mundane 2-3 yard run up the gut,  he too often will take a minus -1.

It's all about his mind set, I think. If he thinks he needs to carry the offense, then he looks for the big play too much. But, he also make plays that Ivory and Murphy simply can't.

Against the Packers, they need to get McCoy out to the edges. Give him a FB or TE to run behind, too.

24 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I actually think Ivory's style helped us more Vs the Vikings. He's more of a straight ahead runner, which I think suits the limited abilities of this offensive line.

It does, and that's exactly the sort of bruising, take-a-beating style that will aggravate Shady's ribs most.  Our line is just not opening much in the way of holes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It does, and that's exactly the sort of bruising, take-a-beating style that will aggravate Shady's ribs most.  Our line is just not opening much in the way of holes.

I think ivory has played well. He runs hungry. Nice complement to Shady, who I think should be used in more of the role of Alvin Kamara in NOLA.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Believer said:

Think both he and Ivory prepare to start... Then start Ivory... use Shady sparingly... Let him recharge his battery... These are the coaching decisions that make a difference in a season...

This - I would really like to start Ivory then use Shady in the second back role..

We will see

• Like (+1) 2

Daboll needs to be creative with his use of Shady.  Get him touches in open spaces. Let Ivory and Murphy pound the gut of the defense and wear them down. If it was me, I'd have Shady and Ivory in the backfield together. Use play action, even use them both with a 2 TE set where Shady acts as the flanker. We don't have great WR's anyway so lay off 3WR sets.  I'd rotate in my WR's and make use of Croom and Clay setting the middle of the field. 

With a thunder and lighting running attack, quick precision passing to my TE's and RB's out of the backfield and keep them backed off with Foster and the deep ball. I'd try to get Zay downfield and hope that KB can make contested catches downfield too.

Edited by BillsRdue

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Ivory has been a pleasant surprise.

I’d rather have Ivory or even Murphy as the lead RB going forward. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to see Shady in there. Give me 5-8 rushes a game out of Shady depending on his effectiveness. Give me 3RB formations coming out of the huddle. Confusing the defense. Only to swing Shady our wide. He’s probably our best WR anyway considering the talent we have a WR right now. Some wishbone offensive calls could be nice with options for Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would love to see him line up in the backfield with Ivory like that did with Murphy last week, could be used as a good decoy to help the line out a bit 

46 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I hope he's not pushing it too far.

This is just my opinion, but if he's having trouble cutting I think he should sit another week, let stuff heal.  We're gonna need him more down the stretch.

I "get it" he's a gamer and he wants to get on the bus, not stand on the sidelines. 

But almost every yard gained last Sun. was brutal

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is just my opinion, but if he's having trouble cutting I think he should sit another week, let stuff heal.  We're gonna need him more down the stretch.

I "get it" he's a gamer and he wants to get on the bus, not stand on the sidelines. 

But almost every yard gained last Sun. was brutal

have they talked about whether it can be damaged any further or if its just a pain management issue until it gets healed?

if its management you let him play and if he's not a liability you keep rolling him out there don't you? but I legitimately don't know enough to say one way or the other.

23 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

have they talked about whether it can be damaged any further or if its just a pain management issue until it gets healed?

if its management you let him play and if he's not a liability you keep rolling him out there don't you? but I legitimately don't know enough to say one way or the other.

From what he says it sounds like it is pain management

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

people can say what they want about this dude off the field. and i'll admit I wondered about him when he initially caused a fuss about coming to buffalo and then had the bar incident.... but what a freaking teammate and professional on the field and in the locker room.

at the end of the day its the national FOOTBALL league, not the national good Samaritan league. ultimate teammate and ball player. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Im not worried about Shady. He is tough. Remember last year playoff game aginst Jacksonville his ankle was messed up bad and he played a great game.

Shady is normally going to break loose for a big gainer, but the problem I have is stalled drives which McCoy is a contributing factor because of the amount of negative or little to no gain. Something his average yardage per carry does't indicate.

The down hill running of Ivory is helping sustain drives IMO.

Edited by Figster

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Im not worried about Shady. He is tough. Remember last year playoff game aginst Jacksonville his ankle was messed up bad and he played a great game.

He had an OL then

7 minutes ago, Figster said:

Shady is normally going to break loose for a big gainer, but the problem I have is stalled drives which McCoy is a contributing factor because of the amount of negative or little to no gain. Something his average yardage per carry does't indicate.

The down hill running of Ivory is helping sustain drives IMO.

I think I said this elsewhere - from what I saw on Chargers all-22 and what I've seen so far on Vikings - Shady is patiently hanging back waiting for the OL to open a hole, only it doesn't do so resulting in -1 or -2.  Ivory is plunging in there and making 1-5 yds on sheer muscle.  That has never been Shady's thing.

• Like (+1) 1

I enjoy Shady and understand his style of running, hesitating and moving laterally until a hole opens up but this OL isn't opening holes. I'd rather see Ivory gashing through to set up 2nd and medium for Allen. Seemed to be pretty effective against the Vikings. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He had an OL then

I think I said this elsewhere - from what I saw on Chargers all-22 and what I've seen so far on Vikings - Shady is patiently hanging back waiting for the OL to open a hole, only it doesn't do so resulting in -1 or -2.  Ivory is plunging in there and making 1-5 yds on sheer muscle.  That has never been Shady's thing.

Exactly, and at the very least something another poster touched on recently, bang away with Ivory for the most part in the 1st half and in the 2nd half start mixing in McCoy after the D begins to wear down.