Would you draft Oliver or Bosa?

Skins Malone

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Forget those guys. I found Sean’s #1 pick. :). Bald too. 

The product of Highland, Illinois, wasn’t smiling as he walked off, either. The 6-foot-4, 325-pound Farmer said he’s been serious about what he can do — what the team can do — with a little more direction than what the previous staff provided. He was serious about recovering from a leg injury that cut short his 2017 season after eight games. He was serious about increasing his strength and is now lifting up to 765 pounds.

“Whenever I first came to Nebraska, I had the goal of, ‘Oh, I want to squat 700 pounds one day,’ ” Farmer said. “I was thinking, ‘That’s a goal that I could achieve, but I’m going to have to really put in a whole bunch of hard work to get there.’ So now I’m squatting close to 800 pounds, so I need to set a new goal. I’m thinking maybe 1,000 pounds.”

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/tanner-farmer-believes-he-can-lift-pounds-and-win-a/article_5f70d460-180b-5727-9dcf-28fa912cf7bd.html

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, baskingridgebillsfan said:

If they pick first overal then you trade down.  The roster is in need of a major addition of talent 

I agree, but it’s not possible every year.  When there isn’t a big-time QB available, it can be hard to find a partner willing to trade a boatload of picks.  

4 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Agreed. Here is hoping somebody falls in love with a quarterback 

Before the new rookie wage scale came into being, the top pick was sometimes a hot potato.  It’s better now...and this looks like a pretty good draft.

Edited by mannc

12 hours ago, wppete said:

I would draft Bosa. He is a stud. Better than his brother. 

really?....serious question,  i haven't watched him yet.

11 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Stay at 1 for gods sake.  No brainer.  This team needs top end talent.  

not only that, but having 10 picks means we can stay put and even use a few on the back end to trade up.  if we are picking high in round one that means we are picking high in every round. i would go bpa with out a doubt.  we could end up hitting on a half dozen picks in the 1st 4 rounds.

The best case scenario is Josh Allen leads us to 4-5 wins and we're not in discussion for #1 overall. Much more important for us going into next year knowing he's the guy then him going 1-15, us not being sure and taking Bosa #1.

I'm hoping we go 4-12 pick #5 and take either of these guys who all immediately improve our team

1. Jonah Williams-T Alabama 6'5 310

2. D.K. Metcalf-WR Ole Miss 6'4 225
3. Brian Burns-DE Florida State 6'5 245

23 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

The best case scenario is Josh Allen leads us to 4-5 wins and we're not in discussion for #1 overall. Much more important for us going into next year knowing he's the guy then him going 1-15, us not being sure and taking Bosa #1.

I'm hoping we go 4-12 pick #5 and take either of these guys who all immediately improve our team

1. Jonah Williams-T Alabama 6'5 310

2. D.K. Metcalf-WR Ole Miss 6'4 225
3. Brian Burns-DE Florida State 6'5 245

Even 4-12 likely won’t have us at 5. How many NFL teams are going to win less than 4? At the moment we are clearly the worst team in the league. Arizona may be next but they play Seattle twice. They also have the Broncos, Raiders and Lions at home. They have some wins on that schedule. I don’t see the Bills winning more than 4 (max) and that probably still gets you the 1st pick IMO. 

13 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

Just for conversation....

Just assuming the Bill's get the first pick..which we certainly maynot..and your the GM would you draft Bosa or Oliver?

I dont watch alot of college so my expertise is limited to highlights...which means I have no clue...but Bosa obviously is a prolific pass rusher...but Oliver to me seems like more of an overall disruptive force.

Who would you guys rather have on the Bills?  

Sell the pick off getting a good package for that QB needy team. 

Could all likely go to 5 getting many more picks and have a shot at one or both these players. 

I think Phillips will replace Kyle if he retires, we have no one really for DE. Not sure if Hughes is on his last year or has one more, either way we will need a DE for sure.

Bosa all day, but if we dont have #1 then Oliver is a good consolation prize

Obviously you haven't been around as a Bills fan long enough.  Here's the way it works. The Bills are front-runners for the #1 pick all year.  They love and need Bosa. The season looks like a disaster then in meaningless December games when the Patriots and Dolphins are resting starters, we go and WIN!!!! Woo-hoo, we end up 4-12 and pick 3rd or 4th and both guys are off the board, so we grab the best OT and hope he pans out.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Obviously you haven't been around as a Bills fan long enough.  Here's the way it works. The Bills are front-runners for the #1 pick all year.  They love and need Bosa. The season looks like a disaster then in meaningless December games when the Patriots and Dolphins are resting starters, we go and WIN!!!! Woo-hoo, we end up 4-12 and pick 3rd or 4th and both guys are off the board, so we grab the best OT and hope he pans out.

Oh I'm fully aware of how it's gone down in the past.  Again this is just for fun who knows where we actually end up picking.  

52 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I am among those who would trade back if I could, just not too far.  If trading back was not an option, then Oliver would be my pick.  

It's very difficult to find a scenario where that has been successful in the past 10 years.  In most cases you are better off drafting the better player.

Oliver.  I think we can find a pass rusher in free agency with all that money we have.  Ansah & Lawrence should be available, as will Fowler.  We should try and secure one of those 3.  

If he has potential to be someone incredibly disruptive like donald or cox, it just makes you so hard to play against. 

Edited by dneveu

2 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Tired of seeing Josh Allen running for his life. I want a trade down and stock up on O-line and WR.

I lean toward offense as well. WR or OL. I would sign the best pass rusher in FA. Overpay if you need to. It is very difficult to sign a WR in FA with the current offense unless Josh is lighting it up at some point this season. Good FA WRs who aren’t one foot in retirement are near impossible to get to Buffalo. Other option is trading for a WR.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Haven't seen Oliver so I don't know, but Bosa looks great against top competition so I would be stoked to get him.

What principle ??

Unless they play QB, don’t burn any high draft picks on high motor lunch pailers, especially if they may be roidheads*. Better safe than sorry.

* to be fair, I haven’t studied him enough to determine if this is indeed the case here.:D

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, pimp on da' net said:

I would take Oliver due to the fact that he has played in every game (and started) in his career at Houston.

I like Bosa but the nagging injuries are a concern...those pumped up guys never seem to last. 

Side note: If we are the worst team at the end of the year and pick 1st overall, McBean better be ready to trade down (even a few times) and fill this rosters depth with good prospects/ starters.

He’s been hurt once in 3 years, the result of a weaponized, uncalled hold

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I lean toward offense as well. WR or OL. I would sign the best pass rusher in FA. Overpay if you need to. It is very difficult to sign a WR in FA with the current offense unless Josh is lighting it up at some point this season. Good FA WRs who aren’t one foot in retirement are near impossible to get to Buffalo. Other option is trading for a WR.

2 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Tired of seeing Josh Allen running for his life. I want a trade down and stock up on O-line and WR.

Can't argue here. If we can get solid trade down value go load up on OL/WR.  Apparently the 2019 FA wrs are weak.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s been hurt once in 3 years, the result of a weaponized, uncalled hold

Lets see how he holds up this year. That groin injury that took him out of the game last week will linger...I stand by my assessment that pumped up guys don't last long in the league...

Oliver has started every game since day one and has been a disruptive force up the middle ala Aaron Donald. 

Both players are difference makers, I'd prefer the guy that will push the middle of the pocket & be a playmaker in the running game.

4 minutes ago, pimp on da' net said:

Lets see how he holds up this year. That groin injury that took him out of the game last week will linger...I stand by my assessment that pumped up guys don't last long in the league...

Oliver has started every game since day one and has been a disruptive force up the middle ala Aaron Donald. 

Both players are difference makers, I'd prefer the guy that will push the middle of the pocket & be a playmaker in the running game.

What are pumped up guys?  And where is the evidence they dont.  Tons of guys in the league are jacked.  Edmunds is a monster.

If the choice is between Nick Bosa and Ed Oliver, I probably have to go with Bosa.

We need an edge rusher much more than a defensive tackle.

It's hard to make a determination at this point though.  How deep is this draft truly going to be, and what trade-down options would be available?

1 hour ago, Skins Malone said:

What are pumped up guys?  And where is the evidence they dont.  Tons of guys in the league are jacked.  Edmunds is a monster.

I'm referring to the weight room warriors/ measureable type...very seldom do they last. One exception is James Harrison (pretty sure that was chemically induced) but he has gotten away with it.

Bosa is on a very good team at OSU with many NFL talents in the rotation. Is he that dominate or is it the scheme? Oliver on the other hand, is the identity of the Houston defense who never leaves the field. That is why I chose him in this discussion.

Pumped up guys that I'm referring to are guys like : Tony Mandarich; Brian Bosworth; Mike Mamula; Aaron Maybin; Vernon Gholston; Aaron Curry;Courtney Brown...there are more. These guys, looked like tarzan in college and for whatever reason injuries, schemes or PED's shortened their careers.

That injury to Bosa that sideline him last week imo, will affect his play if OSU isn't patient with him...speed & power with a groin injury is not a good mix but time will reveal.

21 hours ago, BoldBully said:

Trade back with Oakland for there 2 first rounders and draft O-line and WR

I actually really like this idea, especially if Oaklands own pick is in or near the top 10 which it very much looks like is a strong possibility.  Then Oakland can get the pass rusher to replace Mack and we can focus on OL and WR like you said which for me are substantially bigger needs right now.  

Yes, be nice to get some pass rush help, but truthfully we have 2 young prospects developing on D right now in Edmunds and Phillips, but we have NOTHING developing on offense outside of Allen, and he needs help desperately if he will ever have a chance to succeed.  Our current WR's struggle getting open and separation, and our OL would struggle to block a college team let alone an NFL team.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, KD in CA said:

You won't get anywhere close to that unless some QB turns into the second coming this season.   Also, there aren't that many teams who will be desperate for a QB next draft.  It'll be a year of teams drafting the heir apparent, not the immediate starter.

yea you would, look at the draft chart,  1 to 20

jets gave up 3 2nd round picks to move up like 2 places lol.

Edited by BakersBills

23 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What if the O-line prospects aren't as good as Bosa?

The last 2 "future HOF" LTst the Bills draft were a TE and a @2nd rounder.

Save 1st round picks for game changers.  It's what smart teams do.

Any individual OL would likely be a Bosa, but this team has too many holes. 1st round game changers like Sammy? Watkins was drafted with the fourth overall pick after we traded our first round selection (the 9th pick), and first and fourth round selections in 2015.  Game changer, right! If we trade out of a top 5 pick, we wouldn't get a high 1st and use it on an OL. More likely a mid to lower 1st and a 2nd and 3rd or another 2nd in the next year. That's three value picks for a single gamble on another WR? Bad idea.

Since '86, the Bills 1/2 round picks of OL which I felt were worthy include Will Wolford, John Fina, Rueben Brown, Eric Wood, Cordy Glenn, Dion Dawkins. The only huge miss was Mike Williams back in 2002. There are lots of misses on game- changing play-makers.

With the exception of the Eagles, the top 10 OLs in football all have at least one and most have two first round picks anchoring their lines. We can get mid-round and even late round gems to sprinkle in , but the line needs a foundation of talent. Badly. Smart teams get a franchise QB and then build from the inside out to protect and then exploit his skills.