Does rain make this a winnable game?

Hebert19

I think it was without rain as I think ravens are waaaaay overrated but that's just me. 

I think our run game is our strength and I believe we can grind it out in the rain and get a W better than most.  Shady isnt afraid of the snow or rain as we know. 

Thoughts?  Weather even the playing field?  

Its the first week of the season. There are no unwinnable games. Always surprises that would never happen later in the year.  Your entire premise is wrong. 

Firstly the Ravens arent some powerhouse team. They are probably a little better than we are but if we are a 5 they might be a 6 or 7. Surely not some major upset if we win.

Secondly, as I mentioned above. First week of the year there are always some crazy results because nobody has anything real on film yet. Its hard to know exactly what a team will do.  I believe a few years ago the 49ers crushed the Rams on opening day then didn't win another game until they played them again in week 11 or 12 I think...they finished the year 2-14. Opening week doesn't mean much in terms of a teams win-loss record for the year.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

QB arm strength is at a premium in the elements. I know Peterman has improved in this metric this offseason, but still to a level of just barely passable by NFL standards. However, on a slick ball, accuracy actually is pretty vital, too, to out it exactly where the receiver can bring it in, instead of having to make a circus catch, which they won't bring in, with the wet ball. I feel Peterman is more accurate than Flacco, but obviously has worse arm strength. I think Flacco wins out.

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

This.  Mostly because I have no idea what to expect.  If peterman is decent we may be decent.  If terrible we are looking at the first pick overall. 

...and this! I don’t even know what our offense will look like, much less what to expect from most players. Let’s just hope Shady stays Shady (and healthy). 

But weather may play a factor, for sure. 

I don't want there to be any excuses for the doom and gloom train riders. I want there to be perfect conditions AND see the Bills win, just to get some peace and quiet around here for a couple of days.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't want there to be any excuses for the doom and gloom train riders. I want there to be perfect conditions AND see the Bills win, just to get some peace and quiet around here for a couple of days.

As you well know, if the Bills win it will be embarrassing and won’t really count because obviously the Ravens must suck obviously. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 years ago we lost the opener there 13-7.  Rex was the coach and Tyrod had an awful game yet it was still winnable.

This team is better coached.  By this reason alone I think we win!  It will be like the opener a few years ago against Da Bears.  Nobody picked the Bills that day but turned out to be a great win.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

I think it was without rain as I think ravens are waaaaay overrated but that's just me. 

I think our run game is our strength and I believe we can grind it out in the rain and get a W better than most.  Shady isnt afraid of the snow or rain as we know. 

Thoughts?  Weather even the playing field?  

Since when can this defense stop the run again?

58 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Its the first week of the season. There are no unwinnable games. Always surprises that would never happen later in the year.  Your entire premise is wrong. 

Firstly the Ravens arent some powerhouse team. They are probably a little better than we are but if we are a 5 they might be a 6 or 7. Surely not some major upset if we win.

Secondly, as I mentioned above. First week of the year there are always some crazy results because nobody has anything real on film yet. Its hard to know exactly what a team will do.  I believe a few years ago the 49ers crushed the Rams on opening day then didn't win another game until they played them again in week 11 or 12 I think...they finished the year 2-14. Opening week doesn't mean much in terms of a teams win-loss record for the year.

What matters is whether you would bet $1,000 on the Bills to win the game, or a larger sum to make it actually hurt to lose

to say “I don’t gamble” makes you ineligible to make a comment among men who watch football

to say “hell no” makes you ineligible to make a pixie whim wish for a win among men who watch football

42 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I believe Baltimore also places a lot of faith in their running game.  If Buffalo is going to win, it will be because they  play better.  Their much maligned offensive line has to step up big time.

They will run the ball a lot as well, how much our run d has improved will play a huge factor.

If we game plan run heavy, it will cover up a lot of the warts on the o line.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Since when can this defense stop the run again?

I think it actually hurts our odds. If it doesn't rain, the Ravens will be more inclined to throw the ball and create more opportunities for our secondary, which is our strength. If it rains, the Ravens will run the ball and I'm not entirely optimistic about our run defense improving this year. Hope I'm wrong though. 

26 minutes ago, row_33 said:

What matters is whether you would bet $1,000 on the Bills to win the game, or a larger sum to make it actually hurt to lose

to say “I don’t gamble” makes you ineligible to make a comment among men who watch football

to say “hell no” makes you ineligible to make a pixie whim wish for a win among men who watch football

What does betting have to do with anything? Would I "bet" them to win this game? No. Would I be shocked if they won? No. Do i expect them to win? No.  

Are their odds higher to win than they would be any other week of the season? Yes.

37 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

2 years ago we lost the opener there 13-7.  Rex was the coach and Tyrod had an awful game yet it was still winnable.

This team is better coached.  By this reason alone I think we win!  It will be like the opener a few years ago against Da Bears.  Nobody picked the Bills that day but turned out to be a great win.  

2 yrs ago is about as relevant to this matchup as the operating system of a Commodore64 is to a Macbook. 

We will have a hard time stopping the run game I predict. 

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I believe Baltimore also places a lot of faith in their running game.  If Buffalo is going to win, it will be because they  play better.  Their much maligned offensive line has to step up big time.

Next thing you'll say is we have to score more points than them too.  Get out of here with that crazy talk.

46 minutes ago, row_33 said:

What the hell are you going on about?

I think this game is winnable no matter what. I mean we made the playoffs and they didn't. Sure it's a different year but McDermott is focused on building a winning culture and if he successfully did that we should be able to continue to win from year to year regardless of who is on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

And Collins alot better than Hyde and how did that Cleveland game look at stopping the run?

I didn’t realize you were analyzing the preseason. I thought you were referring to meaningful games. I do not know how good the rush D will be. Just answering the question.  Carry on. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Has to be the worst post of the year for the title alone.  People seriously think the Bills need an act of God to beat the Baltimore freaking Ravens and Joe freaking Flacco?  We might not be a great or even good team this year but there is some serious delusion going on here about the NFL.  Any given Sunday probably applies now more than ever with parity.  I think the Ravens are going to be a good team this year but they are basically imo on the same tier as the Bills at the beginning of the season.  I could see the Bills having a better defense and I still believe LeSean McCoy is going to get his yards.  

People are just putting way too much stock into preseason as coaches are putting less and less.  I was on vacation for the first preseason game so I don't know if McCoy played in that one but he didn't play in any other.  You think what we saw this preseason is a true representation of what the Bills will be this season?  Do you think that Daboll is going to  be so bad at scheming that the QB will be running for his life on every passing play?  Also the national media is clueless about small market teams especially the Bills.  They are wrong more than they are right.

There is zero percent chance that this is going to be the worst team in the league.  Zero, zilch, nada.  If they are, I will never post here again.  This team young but they are a team with great leadership in the locker room and from the coach.  I actually love all the negative press they are getting because this is the type of team that can feed off of that.  Also despite what you saw in the preseason, I think the Bills defense is going to be good this year.  When all the starters are in and the game matters, I think it is going to be completely different from what we saw from the defense this preseason.

Finally, it is discouraging that 1 day away from the season opener, in a year where we drafted a QB the highest we have ever drafted one, 7th overall, a QB who despite his preseason ups and downs is easily the most promising rookie QB we have had since Kelly, we have a large portion of the fans already in doom and gloom mode.  One day before the season opener the year after we ended the 17 year playoff drought and people have accepted this team is going to be terrible.  Let's let these guys play a few games before everyone declares they suck.  I can't wait to watch tomorrow.  GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I completely agree.  Everyone, and it seems everyone, is saying this is an easy win for the Ravens against the worst team in the league.

How did we go from a playoff team with promising coach and team to the worst team in the league over the offseason? 

The Ravens, on paper, should have more proven talent than the Bills.  I get that.  But week 1 is the biggest crapshoot week of the season!  All those new players need time to learn the system and play together.  Did anyone see the game on Thursday, neither of those teams looked in sync and came out of the gates on fire.  I expect more of the same from our game.  Will the Bills win?  I'd be surprised.  But to out right dismiss them and annoit the Ravens the team to beat, at this point in the year, is completely unfounded.

The only reason I half expect a loss is because of the Ravens Defense.  They should be able to containl our offense.   How our defense fairs agaisnt their O is a much bigger question mark.  This game comes down to coaching, in my opinion.  Can McD and Daboll have them prepared, focused and a game plan developed to negate the Raven's D?  We'll see.