Jerry Sullivan Strikes Back With A VENGEANCE, Slams The BN, The Pegulas, and some of the Buffalo fanbase

BuffaloRush

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, GunnerBill said:

Thougts on Jerry are always the same. He is not a good writer. That always bothered me more than his opinions. 

He's a fine writer. Not to everyone's taste but it's not an accident he got offered a job as a columnist at the third-biggest paper in America at the time (9th biggest now, Newsday). And turned it down to come to Buffalo.

On 9/6/2018 at 9:07 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Since when did Bills fans get so sensitive to criticism?  It boggles my mind.  I think must be Stockholm syndrome associated with 17 years of epic failure.  If someone criticizes the team, they are an idiot.  

Around 1966

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's a fine writer. Not to everyone's taste but it's not an accident he got offered a job as a columnist at the third-biggest paper in America at the time (9th biggest now, Newsday). And turned it down to come to Buffalo.

Maybe he was back in the day. I don't know. But in the period I have been reading Jerry (since 2009) his writing has been well below the standard I'd expect for a respected columnist. As I explained earlier, I was a journalist, I have professional accreditations, and I stand by what I have said about his writing. 

......hard to deny "the 17 year drought" did not earn a substantial share of negativity and rightfully so...OBD post Polian was the epitome of "Dysfunction Junction".......look at the woeful cast of characters as unqualifieds in key positions, "over the hill" crustaceans thought to be qualified because they were "re-tired", as well as "blue light coaching specials" running the Big Top....so the neophyte Pegulas buy the club and make EXPECTED mistakes......first, doubt they ever anticipated the Marrone exodus, which forced them to keep Brandon/Whaley for somewhat organizational stability (BOTH were under contract).....safe to say (IMO) they have made a supreme effort to atone for their mistakes (ie. Rex hire with special thanks to Market Boy Brandon) to where we have a semblance of a REAL football organization in place....faced with a long term fix plan....yet Sullivan refused to even offer a sliver of positives moving ahead......as have others.....

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......hard to deny "the 17 year drought" did not earn a substantial share of negativity and rightfully so...OBD post Polian was the epitome of "Dysfunction Junction".......look at the woeful cast of characters as unqualifieds in key positions, "over the hill" crustaceans thought to be qualified because they were "re-tired", as well as "blue light coaching specials" running the Big Top....

Not buying it.   

The Bills during much of Felser's run were even more abismal.   Outside of the AFL years, OJ era and the Chuck Knox cup of coffee, they were some of the worst teams ever.  Good columnists don't have to be defined by the teams they cover.  They're good because they respect their readers and put in the work needed to entertain and inform regardless of the jamokes on the field...

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not buying it.   

The Bills during much of Felser's run were even more abismal.   Outside of the AFL years, OJ era and the Chuck Knox cup of coffee, they were some of the worst teams ever.  Good columnists don't have to be defined by the teams they cover.  They're good because they respect their readers and put in the work needed to entertain and inform regardless of the jamokes on the field...

....just my thought from an opinion perspective.....thanks for your perspective..............

He just doesn't get it. I didn't need to read the negativity, I watched the games. I didn't need nor want to read the constant finding of  new things he chose to whine about.

There was room for occasional articles telling it like it is, but i dont think i can remember Jerry ever finding a positive without reminding the reader it was screwed up. 

I choose to watch the Bills and i sure didnt want to sum up bad games and seasons with more levels negativity 

Reading Jerry Sullivan is a lot like playing old school depressing county music while drinking a 5th of whiskey and cleaning your shotgun... right after your wife leaves you. 

Edited by ddaryl

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Reading Jerry Sullivan is a lot like playing old school depressing county music while drinking a 5th of whiskey and cleaning your shotgun... right after your wife leaves you. 

Wait!  This could be crucial!  So if you read Sullivan backwards, do all the good players rejoin the team and the team starts winning again?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Childish reasons? Do you click links about the Kardashians or the cast of Jersey Shore to hear their take? 

Id bet, no. Why? Because you don’t care! Jerry had his time and now it’s over. Most of us are happy and have moved on. Obviously he, and you, haven’t. That’s really a Sully and Rush problem. Not ours. 

Give ol’ Jer a message for us. “We don’t care. Bye.” 

Fine. I'm sure it's mutual, but if you really didn't care, you wouldn't post. You say as much. You don't click links to the Kardashians, right, yet you posted here.

Jerry's time at the BN is indeed over, because he decided to step down, and his reasons for doing so are right on. Sully's writing developed on a newspaper, and newspaper - columns anyway - developed around writing columns which are thoughtful and reasonably though not perfectly neutral. And then the BN turned to a fan site, which is a site where neutral articles are not what people are looking for. They're looking for actively positive slants. Graham pointed out the same thing when pointing out why he left. Fanboy articles aren't what Sully and Graham signed up to write. Pretty reasonable to be a bit pissed when someone hires you and then changes your job description almost completely.

And yeah, many here are happy. Again, this also is a fan site and most on here actively don't like much that's negative about the Bills, even when it's well-deserved and spot on point.

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

He just doesn't get it. I didn't need to read the negativity, I watched the games. I didn't need nor want to read the constant finding of  new things he chose to whine about.

There was room for occasional articles telling it like it is, but i dont think i can remember Jerry ever finding a positive without reminding the reader it was screwed up. 

I choose to watch the Bills and i sure didnt want to sum up bad games and seasons with more levels negativity 

It was like that. And as you point out, so was watching the Bills. They've sucked or been mediocre with extreme consistency. It was Sully's job to describe that, not to fill lives with sunshine. So yeah, fair enough that you or anyone doesn't want to read that kind of thing. But for sunshine, you've got Murph and Chris Brown and all the rest of the buffalobills.com crew. And now the BNBlitz.

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Pretty reasonable to be a bit pissed when someone hires you and then changes your job description almost completely.

After 30 years.... and under different ownership. 

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It was like that. And as you point out, so was watching the Bills. They've sucked or been mediocre with extreme consistency. It was Sully's job to describe that, not to fill lives with sunshine. So yeah, fair enough that you or anyone doesn't want to read that kind of thing. But for sunshine, you've got Murph and Chris Brown and all the rest of the buffalobills.com crew. And now the BNBlitz.

See to me Sully and Murph are in the exact same category. Doing their jobs badly because they are not thinking through coherently the views that they want to articulate. Instead they are both in such a rush to come to a judgment they miss the bit that features in coherent commentary where you show your reasoning to your audience. 

My problem with Sully was never negativity. My problem with Murph is not positivity. It is that neither do their job very well and I suspect from hearing each speak, they both have a lazy sense of entitlement. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Perhaps..  mistake OR not Josh decided Sully's contribution needed to be altered and took away his "dream job".  Thus, Josh decided Jerry was "expendable" based on the mass reaction to Sully's tired act.

Also,  why would TBN promote from within if the ideas were stale and dying?  IF my job was on the line I would want an ally in power vs "some kid out of college".  Sully in the interview comes off as a get off my lawn grump as we as a lover scorned.

No, you're spinning like crazy. He did take away the job he had but asked him to keep writing for the paper. That is in no way "expendable."

And both Graham and Sully have said that from many responses, the complaints were very few. Enough, apparently, but have BNBlitz subscriptions soared since Sully left? Nobody has said so. I don't hear any of the folks here saying, "Now that he's gone, I'm signing up." Not that I've read all ten pages. But if there have been one or two, have there been many?

And not all promotions from within would mean everything staying the same. And while newspapers are disappearing, their sports sections are generally considered the strongest circulation drivers. It's the other stuff that people are finding elsewhere. Why else would they try to sell the BNBlitz separately.

20 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fine. I'm sure it's mutual, but if you really didn't care, you wouldn't post. You say as much. You don't click links to the Kardashians, right, yet you posted here.

Jerry's time at the BN is indeed over, because he decided to step down, and his reasons for doing so are right on. Sully's writing developed on a newspaper, and newspaper - columns anyway - developed around writing columns which are thoughtful and reasonably though not perfectly neutral. And then the BN turned to a fan site, which is a site where neutral articles are not what people are looking for. They're looking for actively positive slants. Graham pointed out the same thing when pointing out why he left. Fanboy articles aren't what Sully and Graham signed up to write. Pretty reasonable to be a bit pissed when someone hires you and then changes your job description almost completely.

And yeah, many here are happy. Again, this also is a fan site and most on here actively don't like much that's negative about the Bills, even when it's well-deserved and spot on point.

Honestly, nothing against you but this has all been explained ad nauseum and I really don’t feel like making the same points I made over ten pages or whatever it is now. 

I genuinely couldn’t care any less about Sullivan, I took a look in the thread, noticed a guy singing his praises and decided to tell him why I thought he was wrong. Responded to quotes/reactions (like now) after that. Like Sully, it had a time and place. It’s passed. 

Its also a bit ironic that you call me out for basically doing what you are praising Sully for. Offering a different, non-rainbow take on a topic. Can’t take an opinion that differs from yours? Much like Sully, you’re taking a bit of a hypocritical stance here. Of course I’d expect that. Which is again why I won’t give the interview the time of day. I know exactly what to expect from tired ol’ Jer. On the other hand, debating a fellow Bills fan, why not? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

I loved Sullivan, read his work, listened to him on the radio. He did hold the Bills accountable for their ridiculous decisions. 

For the “he’s too negative” crowd, this is the franchise that:

-Fired Bill Polian

-Ralph made Wade bench Flutie

-Let Pat Williams go

-Hired Donahoe

-Cancelled Ralph’s halftime speech because he’d get booed

-Hired 81 year old Marc Levy to be GM

-Extended Dick Jauron after 4-0 start in 2008 and refused to acknowledge it

-Let Tom Modrak live in Florida while being Pro Personnel director

-Kept Littmann and Overdorf is place for 20+ years

-Made Russ Brandon GM

-Traded Peters because $10MM/year was too much for a HOF LT

-Hired 70 year old Buddy Nix after “scanning a list of names”

-Drafted Aaron Maybin

-Spent 6 years with Trent and Fitzpatrick as starters

-Had Doug Whaley conduct that ridiculous Press Conference in which he claimed he had no idea that Rex was fired

-Flip flopped from a 4-3, to a 3-4, back to a 4-3 in consecutive seasons

-Traded Marshawn for squat

-Thought Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney could be OLBs

-Had Overdorf cutting Troy Vincent without telling Coach

-Couldn’t tell Rex that he was fired, let him twist in the wind for weeks

-Allowed Saint Doug to get a $4MM buyout

-Sold home games to Toronto for money (good old boys club between Ralph & Rogers

-Had Anthony Lynn take the heat for benching  Tyrod

-Employed Scott Bettchold to police Sullivan and Fairborn

-Cut Fred Jackson

-Drafted Spiller 9th overall and gave him 78 carries as a rookie

-Drafted McGahee when they had a 1,400 yard rusher on the roster

Want me to keep going? 

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I loved Sullivan, read his work, listened to him on the radio. He did hold the Bills accountable for their ridiculous decisions. 

-Cut Fred Jackson

Want me to keep going? 

I know about all of these other items that you mentioned - except the one on Berchtold.  I know he was hired in 1989, but I am pretty sure he was not hired to keep Matt Fairburn in line.   You must mean someone else because Fairburn would have been in Elementary school back then

8 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

-Fired Bill Polian

-Ralph made Wade bench Flutie

-Let Pat Williams go

-Hired Donahoe

-Cancelled Ralph’s halftime speech because he’d get booed

-Hired 81 year old Marc Levy to be GM

-Extended Dick Jauron after 4-0 start in 2008 and refused to acknowledge it

-Let Tom Modrak live in Florida while being Pro Personnel director

-Kept Littmann and Overdorf is place for 20+ years

-Made Russ Brandon GM

-Traded Peters because $10MM/year was too much for a HOF LT

-Hired 70 year old Buddy Nix after “scanning a list of names”

-Drafted Aaron Maybin

-Spent 6 years with Trent and Fitzpatrick as starters

-Had Doug Whaley conduct that ridiculous Press Conference in which he claimed he had no idea that Rex was fired

-Flip flopped from a 4-3, to a 3-4, back to a 4-3 in consecutive seasons

-Traded Marshawn for squat

-Thought Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney could be OLBs

-Had Overdorf cutting Troy Vincent without telling Coach

-Couldn’t tell Rex that he was fired, let him twist in the wind for weeks

-Allowed Saint Doug to get a $4MM buyout

-Sold home games to Toronto for money (good old boys club between Ralph & Rogers

-Had Anthony Lynn take the heat for benching  Tyrod

-Cut Fred Jackson

Want me to keep going? 

No thanks. All old news just like Sully.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yep and i didnt need or want to read it. I gave up reading him because of this style. I guess i dont like getting kicked in the nuts and then instead of geting an ice pack for my nards i get another kick in jewels from Sully, Bucky or the rest. 

This is what it is. I actually have removed news in general from my life, and my life is better for it. But when it comes to my past times i am definitely not interested in overly negative pessimistic commentary while im witnessing it 1st hand for 16 games. For me Sully was always sharpening his ax. It became a huge bore

Edited by ddaryl

As some people here new Bucky and Sully's new venture is the Buffalo Football Maven.  It's a website that follows a similar model of The Athletic.  The only difference is that it's only NFL football and it's free and supported through advertising.  You can check it out here:

https://footballmaven.io/bills/

I was on my phone and I saw a link on Twitter that the Jerry Sullivan mailbag was back so I clicked on it.  I read the article for about 10 second when all of a sudden an annoying dialogue box pops up.  I tapped on the button that said "ok" to close it, thinking it would take me back to the article.  Instead I was forced onto another site where it said my ISP was giving me a free $100 Wal-Mart gift card.  There was no way to get back to the article without closing the browser tab completely.   So I closed it and read the mailbag again, when the same exact thing happened.   This happened about 3 times before I said "forget this."

I do have to say, I didn't have these issues when I used my laptop.  Still the ads made the mobile experience horrendous.  I'm curious to know whether it's just my experience on my iPhone of it works like this for all mobile devices because I literally couldn't read the articles on the site without getting the gift card pop up

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

My problem with Sully was never negativity. My problem with Murph is not positivity. It is that neither do their job very well and I suspect from hearing each speak, they both have a lazy sense of entitlement. 

Agreed.  Old and lazy is a bad combination for any profession.    it's a natural progression that is hard to combat for anyone, regardless of what they do...

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

As some people here new Bucky and Sully's new venture is the Buffalo Football Maven.  It's a website that follows a similar model of The Athletic.  The only difference is that it's only NFL football and it's free and supported through advertising.  You can check it out here:

I was on my phone and I saw a link on Twitter that the Jerry Sullivan mailbag was back so I clicked on it.  I read the article for about 10 second when all of a sudden an annoying dialogue box pops up.  I tapped on the button that said "ok" to close it, thinking it would take me back to the article.  Instead I was forced onto another site where it said my ISP was giving me a free $100 Wal-Mart gift card.  There was no way to get back to the article without closing the browser tab completely.   So I closed it and read the mailbag again, when the same exact thing happened.   This happened about 3 times before I said "forget this."

I do have to say, I didn't have these issues when I used my laptop.  Still the ads made the mobile experience horrendous.  I'm curious to know whether it's just my experience on my iPhone of it works like this for all mobile devices because I literally couldn't read the articles on the site without getting the gift card pop up

The crap they have to say would be bad enough - hope it fails very quick for them.

Will not have to worry about my mobile experience or my computer experience with their site as I will never be going to it. 

Also can I ask what the topic of tomorrows Sully and Bucky thread is going to be OP so I can mentally prepare myself 

Edited by MAJBobby

Firstly, please don’t turn into a walking advertisement for that website.

Secondly, this is a problem everywhere. Spammers take advantage of code in ads and insert these  malicious gift card ads. This is more of a hijacking then it is purposeful on their part. Presumably, it could happen here without my knowledge.

• Like (+1) 3

This entire Millenium, aside from a small reprieve last year, has been an embarassing Titanic style disaster. Let's forget about all the buffoon HCs, the incompetent GMs, the clueless owners, the wasted draft picks and questionable trades, the bottom line is this little table.

Bills Millennium Record v.s. Playoff Teams

2000 = 1-6
2001 = 1-8
2002 = 0-3
2003 = 1-5
2004 = 3-4
2005 = 2-4
2006 = 1-6
2007 = 0-6
2008 = 1-3
2009 = 1-4
2010 = 0-8
2011 = 3-2
2012 = 0-5
2013 = 1-4
2014 = 2-3
2015 = 1-4
2016 = 1-3
2017 = 3-2

TOTAL = 22- 80 (20%) 

it is just the facts ma'am about the year over year, abject failure. Whenever the Bills faced a good, playoff bound team- they generally folded... badly... 4 times out of 5.

That's what Sully kept on about relentlessly and I for one, appreciated it!

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Whats your obsession with this guy? Its one thing to post several similar threads about a bills player in less than 24hrs but doing so about a sports columnist? Nobody cares.