Jerry Sullivan Strikes Back With A VENGEANCE, Slams The BN, The Pegulas, and some of the Buffalo fanbase

BuffaloRush

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

How much joy was there really during the drought?  The Bills losing was tiring.  IMO they deserved a lot of bad criticism.   How much praise did the Bills really deserve?  

There is a TON of room between vicious criticism and glorious praise. Most people get that, except Sully and you. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Nope, I think there’s an aversion because people want to read positive things about their favorite football team.  They want to feel good about their favorite team.

The problem is, there really weren’t many positives during the drought.  Sully constantly called out the Bills for many very bad decisions that they made.  He called them

embarassing and yes it was embarrassing.  

Anyone in the Buffalo media who calls out the team is disliked among the Bills fan base.  This includes Sully, Mike Schoop, and Mike Rodak.   How many times to fans in this forum attack a writer who writes something negative about the team?  It happens all the time.  

Yes Sully was very critical of the team and I think that many Bills fans internalized his comments.  It used to piss me off to hear reporters loft softball questions to coaches or players.  Or when a good question was aske, they’d give a BS answer and the reporter wouldn’t follow up.  Sully did neither and for that I appreciate his style.

I do agree that he came off as a curmudgeon or prickly.  Maybe even as a jerk, but again, I recognized what his role was as a columnist and never held it against him

Okay....  thanks for answering.

5 minutes ago, bklnpete said:

Amazing how the mere mention of Jerry Sullivan triggers these types who couldn't dare read anything negative about their team. That, I believe, is the definition of "snowflake." 

Thank you brother.  It it my belief that this is exactly why there is such resentment toward jerry 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Since when did Bills fans get so sensitive to criticism?  It boggles my mind.  I think must be Stockholm syndrome associated with 17 years of epic failure.  If someone criticizes the team, they are an idiot.  

Grab the peanut butter and your dog and head to bed Jerry. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think the problem is that a lot of us remember Larry Felser, and respected his columns and his opinions. He was critical when needed, and positive when needed. It was balanced. After he left we got a 2nd rate replacement in Sullivan, and the News being comatose for 25 years, because they were rolling in cash, kept him way too long. 

The he guy is not good, period. Never has been. It has zero to do with criticism. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dubs said:

There is a TON of room between vicious criticism and glorious praise. Most people get that, except Sully and you. 

I guess...maybe he should have praised the Bills for hiring Marv Levy as GM?  Or maybe it was hiring Russ Brandon to be GM?  Or the cost-effective and stellar hires of Dick Jauron or Chan Gailey?  

Just now, Watkins90 said:

I have no problem with him leaving a job, but to bad mouth your current employer is just bush league. 

Why?

Just as a general theory I mean.

I'm not saying Sully should have. I think he was once a valuable columnist for them because he got people to read his articles and discuss them, liking or hating. I often said over the years that his editors must love him. The last few years, however, his detractors that only grew up with his negativity, and the fact that he seemed to get lazy, seemed to make it no longer worth it for the News. 

The guy who fired him that he is complaining about, as you may recall, was on here for months sticking up for Sully when he took the job. Endless people here badmouthed Sully and very few stuck up for him.

After awhile, it seems to me that bossman realized the bad pub was not good pub.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Nope, I think there’s an aversion because people want to read positive things about their favorite football team.  They want to feel good about their favorite team.

The problem is, there really weren’t many positives during the drought.  Sully constantly called out the Bills for many very bad decisions that they made.  He called them

embarassing and yes it was embarrassing.  

Anyone in the Buffalo media who calls out the team is disliked among the Bills fan base.  This includes Sully, Mike Schoop, and Mike Rodak.   How many times to fans in this forum attack a writer who writes something negative about the team?  It happens all the time.  

Yes Sully was very critical of the team and I think that many Bills fans internalized his comments.  It used to piss me off to hear reporters loft softball questions to coaches or players.  Or when a good question was aske, they’d give a BS answer and the reporter wouldn’t follow up.  Sully did neither and for that I appreciate his style.

I do agree that he came off as a curmudgeon or prickly.  Maybe even as a jerk, but again, I recognized what his role was as a columnist and never held it against him

- " they felt my voice was becoming bad for business."

So do you think his employer didn't understand his role and were just fans of the Bills?

Just now, Sanners said:

I think the problem is that a lot of us remember Larry Felser, and respected his columns and his opinions. He was critical when needed, and positive when needed. It was balanced. After he left we got a 2nd rate replacement in Sullivan, and the News being comatose for 25 years, because they were rolling in cash, kept him way too long. 

The he guy is not good, period. Never has been. It has zero to do with criticism. 

Actually Sully speaks of Felser and Jim Kelley in glowing terms.  The two were close and very good friends.  He admired him a lot.

To be honest I was kind of young when Felser was writing.  Sadly, I only remember him as “that old guy reporter” on Empire Sports

8 minutes ago, bklnpete said:

Amazing how the mere mention of Jerry Sullivan triggers these types who couldn't dare read anything negative about their team. That, I believe, is the definition of "snowflake." 

People who wouldn’t dare read anything negative about their team don’t last long on this board.  New around here, aintcha.

2 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I have no problem with him leaving a job, but to bad mouth your current employer is just bush league. 

Well journalist see their jobs and the organizations they work for as an important function in providing information to society.  So bad mouthing an employer is a little different in the circumstance where a journalist thinks the organization isn’t fulfilling its duty as well as it should and letting the public know is part of that function.  But..let’s be real sports writing and reporting is stretching all of the above a bit much.  We’re not talking about Watergate Journalism and it’s a lot closer to entertainment weekly. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

- " they felt my voice was becoming bad for business."

So do you think his employer didn't understand his role and were just fans of the Bills?

I’m sure taken Sully’s column away did wonders to boost subscriptions for The Buffalo Blitz

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Actually Sully speaks of Felser and Jim Kelley in glowing terms.  The two were close and very good friends.  He admired him a lot.

To be honest I was kind of young when Felser was writing.  Sadly, I only remember him as “that old guy reporter” on Empire Sports

It’s a shame he didn’t take that admiration and learn from him. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Why?

Just as a general theory I mean.

I'm not saying Sully should have. I think he was once a valuable columnist for them because he got people to read his articles and discuss them, liking or hating. I often said over the years that his editors must love him. The last few years, however, his detractors that only grew up with his negativity, and the fact that he seemed to get lazy, seemed to make it no longer worth it for the News. 

The guy who fired him that he is complaining about, as you may recall, was on here for months sticking up for Sully when he took the job. Endless people here badmouthed Sully and very few stuck up for him.

After awhile, it seems to me that bossman realized the bad pub was not good pub.

It would be scary if a BN news executive was making personnel decisions based on comments from members of a message board.  #justsaying

I was not a fan of Sully myself, but I do know for a fact that A LOT if not most all of the local writers really liked him as a guy, contemporary, mentor, drinking partner, friend, etc. I don't really know of one of them that didn't like him.

I guess...maybe he should have praised the Bills for hiring Marv Levy as GM?  Or maybe it was hiring Russ Brandon to be GM?  Or the cost-effective and stellar hires of Dick Jauron or Chan Gailey?  

Did you even read what I wrote?  I said, everything doesn’t have to be criticism or praise. Then you come back with a comment about praise. ?‍♂️ 

Who cares about Sully anyway. There are hundreds of sources of media about the NFL and Bills. Same goes for Schoop. Both are pretty terrible in my opinion so I stopped reading/listening to them long ago. 

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

It would be scary if a BN news executive was making personnel decisions based on comments from members of a message board.  #justsaying

Obviously, this place was just one of many places he heard the same thing. I spend a lot of (too much) time on Twitter and it was the exact same thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m sure taken Sully’s column away did wonders to boost subscriptions for The Buffalo Blitz

So now you know more than them too.  

I agree with previous posters that you seem like a nice guy but you're acting silly now.  

They did what was best for business and their research showed readers didn't want Sullivan to be a columnist anymore.   You may not like that because you disagree but I think you should at least respect that fact.  

whether one agrees or not, print media has become a dinosaur. the only question that remains is the exact date and time of the extinction.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll say this much. The BN coverage of the Bklls has gotten a lot more boring since Sully left. As far as Sully not being a 'good writer', I've yet to see a clear and concise example of this from anyone. Sorry, but your say so isn't at all convincing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I'll say this much. The BN coverage of the Bklls has gotten a lot more boring since Sully left. As far as Sully not being a 'good writer', I've yet to see a clear and concise example of this from anyone. Sorry, but your say so isn't at all convincing.

Why don't you show a clear and concise example of his excellent writing to support your opinion?

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

So now you know more than them too.  

I agree with previous posters that you seem like a nice guy but you're acting silly now.  

They did what was best for business and their research showed readers didn't want Sullivan to be a columnist anymore.   You may not like that because you disagree but I think you should at least respect that fact.  

Yeah I get that.  I don’t doubt they thought Sully was “bad for business.”  I’m just saying where’s the proof that proves their vision to be correct.  

It is my opinion though that some fans hold Sully’s criticism against him.  As a fan who was often frustration with the lack of direction with the Bills over the past 20 years or so, I was appreciate that Sully expressed criticism rather than biting his tounge.  I do see how he could be perceived in a negative light, but again I think many fans internalized his comments and took what he said about the team personally.  I found that to a little silly as well.  

I appreciate the nice words.  I do like to come

here and have fun bantering with others.  I suppose it sometimes comes off the wrong way.  Thanks for the reminder.  

Just now, cba fan said:

???

Yes.

It is noted in the article posted on this thread.

And yet the OP’s response to a comment about a TBN employee gathering opinion here, was to imply the decision might have been made based upon here, when he knows there were polls surveys whathave you.  Huh.

5 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

They’re opinions, dude.  They don’t have to convince you, just the people who hold them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

As far as Sully not being a 'good writer', I've yet to see a clear and concise example of this from anyone. Sorry, but your say so isn't at all convincing.

Does his employer's demotion of him considered "a clear and concise of the example " of his lack of prosperous writing style?

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wasn’t there supposedly some kind of survey or opinion poll?

Yes an Sully mentions the survey.  My response was I reference to the suggestion that the decision was made due to the negative feedback Mr. Barnett received here

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I don't know either way but it seems pretty hard to judge excitement until the actual season starts.

13 minutes ago, Foxx said:

whether one agrees or not, print media has become a dinosaur. the only question that remains is the exact date and time of the extinction.

Yep and again, Sully mentions this in the interview.  You people really need to listen!

He said the bigger papers will always be around but the midsized papers like The Buffalo News are in trouble.  He suggests they focus more local news/sports and possibly move a weekly format

5 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Does his employer's demotion of him considered "a clear and concise of the example " of his lack of prosperous writing style?

No. A few clear and examples based on relative attributes like word usage, paragraph structure might. In fact, if he weren't a good writer, people wouldn't whine about him so much because his articles wouldn't evoke any emotional response. Also, "prosperous" is not necessarily a relevant response here and was not mentioned by anyone at the BN. It's just as likely that he was given poor career choices at the end because so many fans just didn't want to hear the truth.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1

Yep and again, Sully mentions this in the interview.  You people really need to listen!

He said the bigger papers will always be around but the midsized papers like The Buffalo News are in trouble.  He suggests they focus more local news/sports and possibly move a weekly format

so, i need to listen to a miserable old curmudgeon tell me exactly what i said? again, yeah, no thanks.

Yes an Sully mentions the survey.  My response was I reference to the suggestion that the decision was made due to the negative feedback Mr. Barnett received here

I didn't imply that at all. I said that only to suggest that it wasn't new management who just had it in for him from the start. The Sports Editor was sticking up for Sully for a long time here and the negative to positive about him was about 9-1. I didn't say or suggest this site was the only reason.

Full disclosure I write a column for them once a week during the season, and will do it again this year. But I am not a shill for them or just support the news. I was criticizing a lot of the News writers. Some of them are gone now and some remain.

24 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Buffalo Rush, that suggestion came from you.  KtD points out that Barnett was on here listening and defending Sully for months.  He doesn’t say TBD had any significant role in the decision, only that “bad pub was not good pub”.  Clearly you know TBD was far from the only source of negative feedback, so why go there?

Wow so many replies!  Never meant to piss anyone off.  I just listened to this interview and heard a lot of passion from Sully for his profession and for the Bills.  You don’t have to agree but I’m pretty sure that if you listen to this interview, you won’t be disappointed 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Buffalo Rush, that suggestion came from you.  KtD points out that Barnett was on here listening and defending Sully for months.  He doesn’t say TBD had any significant role in the decision, only that “bad pub was not good pub”.  Clearly you know TBD was far from the only source of negative feedback, so why go there?

The way that I read the comments made it sounds like he made the decision strictly based on the feedback here.  I knew that wasn’t the case.  As you said, Sully mentioned the readers survey 

3 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

No. A few clear and examples based on relative attributes like word usage, paragraph structure might. In fact, if he weren't a good writer, people wouldn't whine about him so much because his articles wouldn't evoke any emotional response.

Lol you read what I wrote and you added your bias.  The paper no longer found his writing style to be prosperous THUS they demoted him.  IF more found his writing "stellar" and profitable....  he would STILL be at the BN.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Seems like somewhat of an immature response and this is why I feel Sully is misunderstood.  To me it's like your saying "he wrote something negative about my favorite team so I don't want to read his work"

No relative but I am a fan and I am going to write a longer column for a new Bills blog about Sully.  I will post it here too.  Bills fans owe Sully and apology

Yes, that's exactly what a certain type of Bills fan thinks!  

It's ridiculous but there you go.

I really enjoyed the full podcast.  It's worth a listen to anyone reading this thread.

Didn't realize Sully would be doing 3 hours of talk radio 5 days a week.  Sounds like competition for Schopp/Bulldog.

I'll give them a listen and see how it goes for a while.

50 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

He’s not out of work.  He has a daily radio show on 1270 AM and he’s running Buffalo Maven!!!!!!!!    

Bro... the Buffalo Maven? What is that like his own website he just started to take down BN? Lol get out of here with that.

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Yes, that's exactly what a certain type of Bills fan thinks!  

It's ridiculous but there you go.

I really enjoyed the full podcast.  It's worth a listen to anyone reading this thread.

Didn't realize Sully would be doing 3 hours of talk radio 5 days a week.  Sounds like competition for Schopp/Bulldog.

I'll give them a listen and see how it goes for a while.

More like people get sick of negativity for the sake of negativity. "To stir conversation". Its really not what you are looking for from your beat writer imo

Ever check out Rodaks twitter?

Edited by BillsFan692