What I haven’t seen from Peterman

Buffalo716

From all of his preseason play from last year, his regular season appearances and his preseason this year

Was the ability to throw over the top of a defense to keep them honest... yes a quick rhythm passing game is nice, but it’s only effective for so long if you cannot stretch the Defense 

even Fitz attempted and has pushed the ball downfield, with success and failure 

eventually CBs and Safeties will sit on the underneath routes and jam up passing lanes if   Peterman shows he will not throw downfield

Hopefully he takes some calculated shots downfield this Sunday to Benjamin and Company to open up some room for Shady, ivory and Murphy 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I’m pretty sure he’ll run the plays they send into his helmet.

Most plays have someone going deep to stretch the field. Whether a 9 route or deep post

some QBs pull the trigger some don’t 

Edited by Buffalo716

I've never seen him play a game from start to finish. 

I've never seen him win a game as the starting QB that didn't involve what an insurence agency would classify an "Act of God".

I've never seen him quit either. 

I've never seen him make excuses.

I've never seen him work harder than he did this off-season to improve.

I've never seen a player with so much to prove.

While I don't expect Nate to look like Rodgers 2.0 I am hopeful that the work he put in during the off-season and the addition of Brian Daboll can show he is at the very least a servicible spot starter in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I've never seen him play a game from start to finish. 

I've never seen him win a game as the starting QB that didn't involve what an insurence agency would classify an "Act of God".

I've never seen him quit either. 

I've never seen him make excuses.

I've never seen him work harder than he did this off-season to improve.

I've never seen a player with so much to prove.

While I don't expect Nate to look like Rodgers 2.0 I am hopeful that the work he put in during the off-season and the addition of Brian Daboll can show he is at the very least a servicible spot starter in the NFL.

He doesn’t have that much to prove. He is a 5th round QB who is keeping the seat warm for a first round pick 

Nobody expected him to be anything other than MAYBE a backup... except  saviorpeterman ... he should only be trying to prove to himself he can play.. not care about anyone else

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you think our OL can hold long enough to let a WR get deep? 

That depends hapless... do I think we can go 3-4 wide with only 5 lineman and dial up a deep play? No

Do I think Daboll can go singleback or I form, keep in some extra blockers and dial up a PA shot play? Yes

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That depends hapless... do I think we can go 3-4 wide with only 5 lineman and dial up a deep play? No

Do I think Daboll can go singleback or I form, keep in some extra blockers and dial up a PA shot play? Yes

Agreed.   I guess I was keying on "Most plays have someone going deep to stretch the field. Whether a 9 route or deep post ".

I agree that if they put in extra blockers and chip they can dial up a deep route, more thinking that the "most plays" deep guy isn't gonna see much action

Just watched a Cover1 analysis of a few Peterman plays in the Panthers game  and he pointed out something I have not been aware of  - reliance on cuts by our OT (it's at 9:40)

Cover1 points out the positives of this strategy and praises the scheming by Daboll, but of course the negative is if the QB does not get the ball out lickety-split or the play busts up downfield, chances are you now have two big, athletic DE who stayed on their feet and are coming for the QB like a pair of deranged bookends.   Tell me why I should agree with Cover1 that this is a Good Thing

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He doesn’t have that much to prove. He is a 5th round QB who is keeping the seat warm for a first round pick 

Nobody expected him to be anything other than MAYBE a backup... except  saviorpeterman ... he should only be trying to prove to himself he can play.. not care about anyone else

I tend to disagree. 

When he came out (and no, I dont care what round he was drafted in) hehad a small amount of buzz around him. In his first chance like it or not, he became a national punchline. Any man with any self worth is going to strive to prove himself. Now, as I stated no, he's not likely to be a franchise QB for any team. But he can still be what I believe he would have become . A back up, spot starter. I could easily still see him (if he shows well this year) having a Todd Collins/Chase Daniel type career.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I tend to disagree. 

When he came out (and no, I dont care what round he was drafted in) hehad a small amount of buzz around him. In his first chance like it or not, he became a national punchline. Any man with any self worth is going to strive to prove himself. Now, as I stated no, he's not likely to be a franchise QB for any team. But he can still be what I believe he would have become . A back up, spot starter. I could easily still see him (if he shows well this year) having a Todd Collins/Chase Daniel type career.

Yes, as I said the only person he has to prove anything to is himself 

he can certainly become a capable backup but he can certainly fail... thats why I wouldn’t say IVE NEVER SEEN a player with that much to prove... he was projected as a backup, not a starter 

he doesnt have that much pressure on him except the pressure he creates 

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

We did see it on the 1st drive vs Carolina. I'm begging them to call a hitch and go on the very 1st play. You know the Ravens will be thinking INT early in this game. 

What ball on the first drive traveled 30+ yards in the air? I don’t recall

22 minutes ago, billsherd said:

I thought he threw one long ball to either Benjamin or one of our back up receivers in the 1st preseason game. 

The ball traveled around 17 yards In the air on a Benjamin TD... doesn’t really qualify as a deep ball

Edited by Buffalo716

My concern with Peterman is that he is too easy to defense. The OL can’t protect for long. If you are scheming against Peterman you rush the passer, jam the pass catchers to prevent the quick timing routes and run underneath everything. The ONLY way to keep teams honest is to step around the rush and hit some plays over the top. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

What ball on the first drive traveled 30+ yards in the air? I don’t recall

The TD pass to Streater than was called back was almost 30 yards in the air IIRC but it was just a lob and I could throw a pass like that. It showed nothing whatsoever about his arm strength, or ability to get downfield either way. It may or may not have been a completion without the glaring pushoff by Streater.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My concern with Peterman is that he is too easy to defense. The OL can’t protect for long. If you are scheming against Peterman you rush the passer, jam the pass catchers to prevent the quick timing routes and run underneath everything. The ONLY way to keep teams honest is to step around the rush and hit some plays over the top. 

Totally agree.

The only other way we can really score some points is if Daboll designs and calls some clever plays and short passes to Shady, Murphy, Ray Ray, Croom or Thomas, with the Ravens crowding the box, we execute them, and they somehow break tackles and/or break free and have an open field ahead of them because the Ravens were so bunched up.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.   I guess I was keying on "Most plays have someone going deep to stretch the field. Whether a 9 route or deep post ".

I agree that if they put in extra blockers and chip they can dial up a deep route, more thinking that the "most plays" deep guy isn't gonna see much action

Just watched a Cover1 analysis of a few Peterman plays in the Panthers game  and he pointed out something I have not been aware of  - reliance on cuts by our OT (it's at 9:40)

Cover1 points out the positives of this strategy and praises the scheming by Daboll, but of course the negative is if the QB does not get the ball out lickety-split or the play busts up downfield, chances are you now have two big, athletic DE who stayed on their feet and are coming for the QB like a pair of deranged bookends.   Tell me why I should agree with Cover1 that this is a Good Thing

Cut blocking with Tackles on pass protection has been used in the quick hitting passing game for a while

it can make the D end think twice about how fast he wants to shoot upfield, knowing now that he might eat the turf hard at fast pace 

it also immediately takes a defender out of the play...

it can be used successfully on quick passing plays and back side screens and such...

on the flip... a whiff of a cut leaves your QB on a 1 way trip to the concussion tent...

on the positive... Dawkins and Mills are 2 maulers who are more physical players than finesse blockers 

Dawkins excelled at cutting at Temple

Bill Belichick has used this technique over The years 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The only pass I'm worried about is outs and curls to the far right sideline. He zipped a ball to Reilly over the middle of the field in a tiny window between three defenders. He also zipped a ball to Kerley running an out pattern to the far left sideline. His near interceptions have come to the right which makes sense because he is right handed. That is not that bad of a handicap.

Look, i hear what you are saying about the deep ball. Peterman can throw the ball deep.  Is he going to throw it 70 yards? No. Can he throw it 30 to 40 yards accurately over the top if defenders cheat up on the short routes? Yes. Anyone in the NFL can throw the ball 40+ yards with enough accuracy and velocity to keep a team honest. It will be Peterman's ability to do so consistently that will determine the effectiveness. This goes for any one of the routes. Keeping the defense off balance is a great key to success. I hope Peterman can make the throws he needs to when he needs to make them. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have never seen him throw a bomb in 1 full regular season game approx and 7 pre sesson games.  So I assume he can't until I see him throw one.

And yes, the OLIne could hold long enough.  they did for Josh to throw a few.  doesn't take long for the QB to drop back and then throw it way down field to a guy that at the time is about 15 yards down field.  Even Hotrod could do that.

Edited by reddogblitz

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The only pass I'm worried about is outs and curls to the far right sideline. He zipped a ball to Reilly over the middle of the field in a tiny window between three defenders. He also zipped a ball to Kerley running an out pattern to the far left sideline. His near interceptions have come to the right which makes sense because he is right handed. That is not that bad of a handicap.

Zips is probably a good description. The Reilly pass was a great pass and the one that made me think he possibly has enough zip on them. I wasn't convinced though. Just my opinion. If he shows that he can throw a wee bit harder than that, 20 yards downfield, I will completely change my opinion of him. I just haven't seen it yet.

That was a great pass because it was very accurate and as you said between a few guys, and almost twenty yards. I personally just didn't see that it was enough of a dart to make defenders lay off jumping him all day long.

15 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What I haven't seen:

After throwing a record-setting 5 INT's in a half, and immediately getting benched, Peterman curled up into the fetal position, and was never heard from again.

No... that would be saviorpeterman.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

From all of his preseason play from last year, his regular season appearances and his preseason this year

Was the ability to throw over the top of a defense to keep them honest... yes a quick rhythm passing game is nice, but it’s only effective for so long if you cannot stretch the Defense 

even Fitz attempted and has pushed the ball downfield, with success and failure 

eventually CBs and Safeties will sit on the underneath routes and jam up passing lanes if   Peterman shows he will not throw downfield

Hopefully he takes some calculated shots downfield this Sunday to Benjamin and Company to open up some room for Shady, ivory and Murphy 

Not that this is earth shaking but there is a clip from a pre-season or regular season game last year where Nate threw the ball 55 yards.  Yeah, that's right; 55!  I re watched it like 6 times to make sure I had the yardage makers right, but it was 55 alright.  JFYI

1 minute ago, Deadstroke said:

Not that this is earth shaking but there is a clip from a pre-season or regular season game last year where Nate threw the ball 55 yards.  Yeah, that's right; 55!  I re watched it like 6 times to make sure I had the yardage makers right, but it was 55 alright.  JFYI

Every qb in the NFL, including all of the PS and all of the weak armed ones like Matt Barkley can throw the ball 55 yards in the air. Every one. That does nothing to dispel weak arm worries.

56 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes.  I fully expect to see opposing defenses press at the LOS and sit on everything under 10 yards.  They will give him some single coverage on the outside and we will see if he has the arm talent to deliver and if the line can keep him upright long enough for deeper routes to develop.  Dust off the old Fitzmagik defense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Yes.  I fully expect to see opposing defenses press at the LOS and sit on everything under 10 yards.  They will give him some single coverage on the outside and we will see if he has the arm talent to deliver and if the line can keep him upright long enough for deeper routes to develop.  Dust off the old Fitzmagik defense.

I expect them to dust off the Trent Defense.

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The real problem is that 99 out of 100 high school coaches anywhere in this country know to do that. Our only hope is the Ravens overthink it and say to themselves, "They'll never think we're going to lay off them, that would be retarded, let's do it and fool 'em!!"

• Haha (+1) 1