What I haven’t seen from Peterman

Buffalo716

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I've never seen him play a game from start to finish. 

I've never seen him win a game as the starting QB that didn't involve what an insurence agency would classify an "Act of God".

I've never seen him quit either. 

I've never seen him make excuses.

I've never seen him work harder than he did this off-season to improve.

I've never seen a player with so much to prove.

While I don't expect Nate to look like Rodgers 2.0 I am hopeful that the work he put in during the off-season and the addition of Brian Daboll can show he is at the very least a servicible spot starter in the NFL.

How do you know he worked harder this off season than last?

He really doesn't have much to prove.  He's a late round pick with very little expected of him at all, and a 1st round stud waiting to take his job any week this season.  That's pretty much zero pressure.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Cut blocking with Tackles on pass protection has been used in the quick hitting passing game for a while

it can make the D end think twice about how fast he wants to shoot upfield, knowing now that he might eat the turf hard at fast pace 

it also immediately takes a defender out of the play...

it can be used successfully on quick passing plays and back side screens and such...

on the flip... a whiff of a cut leaves your QB on a 1 way trip to the concussion tent...

on the positive... Dawkins and Mills are 2 maulers who are more physical players than finesse blockers 

Dawkins excelled at cutting at Temple

Bill Belichick has used this technique over The years 

It's the 'flip' I'm worried about - on the play in the clip I linked, I dunno if it counts as a whiff, but both DEs remained on their feet and bore down on Peterman....

....the good news is the ball was already gone.

The bad news is, if the WR had tripped or failed to gain separation, Peterman better chuck it OOB PTQ if he wants to finish the game

Found this highlight from camp of Peterman launching one

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/camp-highlight-peterman-to-phillips-touchdown

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's the 'flip' I'm worried about - on the play in the clip I linked, I dunno if it counts as a whiff, but both DEs remained on their feet and bore down on Peterman....

....the good news is the ball was already gone.

The bad news is, if the WR had tripped or failed to gain separation, Peterman better chuck it OOB PTQ if he wants to finish the game

Found this highlight from camp of Peterman launching one

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/camp-highlight-peterman-to-phillips-touchdown

I would say the RT semi whiffed and the LT did not do great because his man hurdles him

a clean cut at the LoS leaves the defender completely out of the play

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I have never seen him throw a bomb in 1 full regular season game approx and 7 pre sesson games.  So I assume he can't until I see him throw one.

And yes, the OLIne could hold long enough.  they did for Josh to throw a few.  doesn't take long for the QB to drop back and then throw it way down field to a guy that at the time is about 15 yards down field.  Even Hotrod could do that.

I am not sure what you mean by a bomb but i assure you every pro qb can throw a ball 60+ yards. He will not get it there as quick as allen but he can reach the guy. As for the line i doubt there ability to get the qb enough time consistently to throw deep.

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am not sure what you mean by a bomb but i assure you every pro qb can throw a ball 60+ yards. He will not get it there as quick as allen but he can reach the guy. As for the line i doubt there ability to get the qb enough time consistently to throw deep.

Something like this:

3 seconds from snap to throw.  surely our OLIne will be able to do that if we have a QB that can throw it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How do you know he worked harder this off season than last?

He really doesn't have much to prove.  He's a late round pick with very little expected of him at all, and a 1st round stud waiting to take his job any week this season.  That's pretty much zero pressure.

He is starting in a NFL game on the road in week one of the season for a team with alot of question marks and a fan base who is just waiting for him to fail so they can see Allen play. Sounds like alot of pressure to me.  The question is how will he handle it. Will be interesting to watch.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would say the RT semi whiffed and the LT did not do great because his man hurdles him

a clean cut at the LoS leaves the defender completely out of the play

Then one factor in the horrific Cincy game, and even in the first game, is that these guys are doing this cut thing semi-successfully and leaving the DT free to roam

Obviously in the clip we're talking about, it was a non-issue because Peterman got it out quick but it resulted in Allen being buried a few times.

1 minute ago, billybob71 said:

He is starting in a NFL game on the road in week one of the season for a team with alot of question marks and a fan base who is just waiting for him to fail so they can see Allen play. Sounds like alot of pressure to me.  The question is how will he handle it. Will be interesting to watch.

When everyone is expecting failure---that's the opposite of pressure.   It would be much more different if Allen was out there Sunday....

I think we'll just need to see how this thing unfolds...  He has limitations to be sure - that's why he was a 5th round pick, not a 1st round pick.

Like you said, if he can't (or won't) throw it downfield, the whole field shortens and that will crush the running game as well.

Here is one "quick" analytics site I found for him in 2017.

Game Charting
Year Team Pos G GS YAC Rank Short Mid Deep Bomb
2017 BUF QB 4 2 2.9 -- 42% 42% 13% 4%

I could not find an explanation for the chart - I presume it is completion percentages - but no idea what the ranges used were.  There was some other site I saw last year which had a TON of analytic information - game by game.  It was posted here, I just don't recall it and am too busy/lazy to find it at the moment.

EDIT - I just answered my own question I think...  That is the attempts range.  4% of his pass attempts were a "bomb", 13% were deep, . . .  those % add up to 101% (with rounding 100%).

2nd EDIT - for comparison, here's the numbers for Tyrod:

Game Charting
Year Team Pos G GS YAC Rank Short Mid Deep Bomb
2017 BUF QB 15 14 4.8 23 57% 27% 8% 8%

Edited by MTBill

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

When everyone is expecting failure---that's the opposite of pressure.   It would be much more different if Allen was out there Sunday....

Yeah you could be right might be a good spot for him to be in. I know I'm gonna be more nervous than I normally am watching him play. I hope he does well seems like a good kid. Man he has got to be chomping at the bit to get back out there after what happened last year.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

What receiver on this team is stretching the field? 

They have 0 speed at the position. 

If the QB can't put it down there, it doesn't matter if you have the Flash as a WR.  Not disagreeing with you we don't have a lot of speed though.

It takes two to make it work. I think if NP can at least get it consistently out 15-20 yards once in a while that will help, but if it becomes a dink-dunk Trent Edwards type of QB play - the field is going to contract and not much will succeed.  You have to be able to lay it out there once in a while just to keep them honest.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

That depends hapless... do I think we can go 3-4 wide with only 5 lineman and dial up a deep play? No

Do I think Daboll can go singleback or I form, keep in some extra blockers and dial up a PA shot play? Yes

Then, theoretically, the defense will eventually figure out that when the Bills line up with 3-4 wide, they can still cheat short, clog passing lanes, and and try to take away the run game.  I suppose they could line Croom up in a slot, then have him motion to the backfield for extra blocking and hop the defense doesn't figure out what they're doing, but until the blocking of the 5 offensive linemen improve, it's going to handcuff the play calling to a degree.

1 minute ago, billybob71 said:

Yeah you could be right might be a good spot for him to be in. I know I'm gonna be more nervous than I normally am watching him play. I hope he does well seems like a good kid. Man he has got to be chomping at the bit to get back out there after what happened last year.

McD has given NP, again, house money to play with.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

McD has given NP, again, house money to play with.

Disagree, WEO. Peterman owes his career to McD. There is a lot of pressure on Nate to perform.

He desperately does not want to be known as the only player in NFL history whose HC had to stand up and apologize to the team for playing him, TWICE!

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

A game without an interception?

can you ever stick with the topic?...instead of..whatever.  i hope he puts on a clinic.....but if not and they lose, it's a process until josh wins the job.

i choose to be a fan and not a critic. i even started that way with tierod last year.        bills 27-17.    nate 27-33 276 2 tds. 1 rush td. kb the happiest man on the team.( he did say nate was outstandingly  accurate...paraphrasing)  of course the game depends on one guy....trent you better show the f up murphy.

also, 40 yards in the air is a bomb.  nate can do that...and drop it in the basket. just getting that ball out in 2 seconds or less is gonna be huge. you cannot defend that i don't care if it's ivory out of the backfield or kerley over the middle for 15-20 or zay down the right side.

smother kb all you want but we have other guys that nate can target.  foster will catch a couple of huge throws.

Edited by billsredneck1

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Something like this:

3 seconds from snap to throw.  surely our OLIne will be able to do that if we have a QB that can throw it.

We have seen repeatedly that the line can not hold up for more than one second much less 3, josh allen has the greatest arm i have seen in a long time but he is not going to get a chance with our line.

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Disagree, WEO. Peterman owes his career to McD. There is a lot of pressure on Nate to perform.

He desperately does not want to be known as the only player in NFL history whose HC had to stand up and apologize to the team for playing him, TWICE!

Worst case scenario?  He goes back to being what he was supposed to be in this league.  No shame in that.  His career would continue as it should.  

No one, save a few Petermaniacs here, expect NP to be anything other than a very temporary placeholder for Allen.  Sure, the kid doesn't want to bomb for the same reason none of us would....but there really isn't much pressure on this kid to anything but hold tight for a few games.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Worst case scenario?  He goes back to being what he was supposed to be in this league.  No shame in that.  His career would continue as it should.  

No one, save a few Petermaniacs here, expect NP to be anything other than a very temporary placeholder for Allen.  Sure, the kid doesn't want to bomb for the same reason none of us would....but there really isn't much pressure on this kid to anything but hold tight for a few games.

If he throws two INTS early, his career is over. I do truly understand what you are saying. But as soon as he plays bad he goes to the bench and never gets off it. You as a fan may think that he's just going back to where he should be or always was going to be. But he doesn't think that. He probably still thinks he is going to be Tom Brady. As soon as he throws that first INT, especially if it's early, an enormous avalanche of pressure comes on him.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He doesn’t have that much to prove. He is a 5th round QB who is keeping the seat warm for a first round pick 

Nobody expected him to be anything other than MAYBE a backup... except  saviorpeterman ... he should only be trying to prove to himself he can play.. not care about anyone else

yeah, but everyone knows him as the guy that threw five picks in a half. historically bad. i'm sure he wants that taste out of his mouth. and i am also pretty sure that he will have to move mountains in order to silence some of his harsher critics. not to mention, there will be a large contingent of fans screaming for the rookie with every drive not resulting in a td. that is some serious pressure.

1 minute ago, swnybillsfan said:

yeah, but everyone knows him as the guy that threw five picks in a half. historically bad. i'm sure he wants that taste out of his mouth. and i am also pretty sure that he will have to move mountains in order to silence some of his harsher critics. not to mention, there will be a large contingent of fans screaming for the rookie with every drive not resulting in a td. that is some serious pressure.

In some ways, it is better that he is playing on the road. If this game was at New Era, boos for him and booze for us could come very early.

Just now, swnybillsfan said:

Casual NFL fans have no idea who Nathan Peterman is. He is playing with house money 

no one expects anything great and we have a young kid waiting on deck... if he plays good it is a bonus for us because we can win games this year, give Allen some competition to win the job, and have some trade bait in the future

or we have a long term backup

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If he throws two INTS early, his career is over. I do truly understand what you are saying. But as soon as he plays bad he goes to the bench and never gets off it. You as a fan may think that he's just going back to where he should be or always was going to be. But he doesn't think that. He probably still thinks he is going to be Tom Brady. As soon as he throws that first INT, especially if it's early, an enormous avalanche of pressure comes on him.

you and many others on here can't wait for nate to throw a pick.  it's pathetic. that means you hope mcd and mcbeane fail cuase they chose their starting qb. i pray to god nate crushes it.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

In some ways, it is better that he is playing on the road. If this game was at New Era, boos for him and booze for us could come very early.

this is exactly what i fear. i want to see allen as early as possible, but i also want to see nate get his fair shake. i  really fear it could get ugly for peterman. quickly.

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No it's not!  If he goes to the bench then he will be going back to the bench.  He was brought in as a backup QB.  He will still be one.  

If he thinks he's going to be the next Tom Brady, that's aspirational, but delusional.  If every backup thought that, they would all be suffering from crushing disappointment every day of their career.

They don't.

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

you and many others on here can't wait for nate to throw a pick.  it's pathetic. that means you hope mcd and mcbeane fail cuase they chose their starting qb. i pray to god nate crushes it.

I hope Nate crushes it. If praying actually worked, I would pray that Nate crushes it.

I very, very, very much hope he crushes it. I fear he is going to get crushed.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Casual NFL fans have no idea who Nathan Peterman is. He is playing with house money 

no one expects anything great and we have a young kid waiting on deck... if he plays good it is a bonus for us because we can win games this year, give Allen some competition to win the job, and have some trade bait in the future

or we have a long term backup

very true. but the Ralph (still can't call it New Era) will not be filled with casual fans on Sundays. and these are the games i worry about.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No it's not!  If he goes to the bench then he will be going back to the bench.  He was brought in as a backup QB.  He will still be one.  

If he thinks he's going to be the next Tom Brady, that's aspirational, but delusional.  If every backup thought that, they would all be suffering from crushing disappointment every day of their career.

They don't.

No, he won't. If he throws two picks EARLY because he cannot throw an out pattern he is done. For good. He is not like other backups.  I don't think they are not going to give him another chance if that happens. If he throws two in the whole game, sure. he will likely play the whole game and start the next one (although he shouldn't). If he throws two picks in the first three series he probably gets Savaged.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

9 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

He blows.

He's the kind of guy that wins the job by  posting himself next to the new OC's office to help him move in, and making sure to leave the practice field last so the coach says "wow, this guy is just so dedicated!"  

or...he is a good kid with physical limitations that has been working his @$$ off to be the best he can be and try to win this job with all the odds against him.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

No, he won't. If he throws two picks EARLY because he cannot throw an out pattern he is done. For good. He is not like other backups.  I don't think they are not going to give him another chance if that happens. If he throws two in the whole game, sure. he will likely play the whole game. If he throws two picks in the first three series he probably gets Savaged.

They won't cut him.  They will just start the Allen era.

I don't think he will toss 2 picks in 3 series.  But if he does, then he will know he won't be Tom Brady, and that's ok.  Neither was Peyton Manning....

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Zips is probably a good description. The Reilly pass was a great pass and the one that made me think he possibly has enough zip on them. I wasn't convinced though. Just my opinion. If he shows that he can throw a wee bit harder than that, 20 yards downfield, I will completely change my opinion of him. I just haven't seen it yet.

Sure but I'm guessing before the game you wouldn't have thought he could make that play, but he did. And same goes for the pass to Kerley on an out route. That was the one that really surprised me. It got to him in plenty of time and right where it needed to be. We all know Peterman's arm is relatively weak by NFL standards but I'm not convinced it's too weak to make the plays that count.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I hope Nate crushes it. If praying actually worked, I would pray that Nate crushes it.

I very, very, very much hope he crushes it. I fear he is going to get crushed.

well try rooting for this team for once.    i went to the week one thread only to see you being a wipe. maybe you should try praying. i'm off this site until 4pm on sunday.

i'm tired of the posers.

2 hours ago, Bring it said:

Peterman has tough sledding right out of the gate. 3 quality defenses weeks 1-3; and week 4 an offense that he will probably have to out score in a shootout. If he can get us to at least 2-2 I will be happy to root for him 

If he gets us to 2-2 he's Jim Kelly incarnate.

• Haha (+1) 1