What I haven’t seen from Peterman

Buffalo716

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

They won't cut him.  They will just start the Allen era.

I don't think he will toss 2 picks in 3 series.  But if he does, then he will know he won't be Tom Brady, and that's ok.  Neither was Peyton Manning....

Maybe not. But Chan cut Trent as soon as he knew he couldn't play in the regular season. Three games in.

I don't think he is going to throw two picks early either. A very small chance. But he might. And if it's a pick six because he can't throw an out pattern, he's done. So there is pressure.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Maybe not. But Chan cut Trent as soon as he knew he couldn't play in the regular season. Three games in.

I don't think he is going to throw two picks early either. A very small chance. But he might. And if it's a pick six because he can't throw an out pattern, he's done. So there is pressure.

OK, pressure not to have a historically bad repeat performance of his last one lol.

If he's worried about that, he's cooked already.

Just get the rookie out there.  The fact that this conversation even has to exist is just nuts, in my opinion.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Sure but I'm guessing before the game you wouldn't have thought he could make that play, but he did. And same goes for the pass to Kerley on an out route. That was the one that really surprised me. It got to him in plenty of time and right where it needed to be. We all know Peterman's arm is relatively weak by NFL standards but I'm not convinced it's too weak to make the plays that count.

Yep. That's the whole thing. It's either not enough or just enough. If it's just enough he can be a decent player. I haven't seen it yet. Hopefully Sunday I will.

That pass to Reilly was the second best pass he ever threw as a Bill. Really good. The best was last preseason when he threw a perfect pass over defenders about 20 yards downfield right at the sidelines, maybe also to Reilly. Great, great pass. But it wasn't any arm strength indicator.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

OK, pressure not to have a historically bad repeat performance of his last one lol.

If he's worried about that, he's cooked already.

Just get the rookie out there.  The fact that this conversation even has to exist is just nuts, in my opinion.

Agreed.

And he's cooked already. :beer:

He shouldn't even be playing.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

or...he is a good kid with physical limitations that has been working his @$$ off to be the best he can be and try to win this job with all the odds against him.

Or...he is just another in a long line of not quite good enough to make it/barely good enough to make a roster-guys, that have passed through the training camps of the NFL for decades.

It's nice that he works hard, says all the right  things etc...yay.

Edited by OJ Tom

10 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Come on give him his due. That was a nice pass right on the money with a safety over and a cornerback under.

WTF?!

On an 18 yard pass in the air, to a wide open KB, you B word and say, "Give him his due"-  responding to me saying - "Good pass, right on the money but it wasn't that long  and not difficult" with you saying "nice pass, right on the money with a safety and corner under." Which wasn't really true, of course. The CB wasn't close to him and the safety was running over but didn't even get there in time to stop him from running untouched ten yards into the endzone.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I bet one of the first few plays will be a long pass. Probably to a well covered receiver along the sideline on third and short. 

I guess the question to this would be would prefer this on 3rd and short or a dump off on 3rd and long?  I'd honestly prefer he take the chance since they would probably be covering the super short routes.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

What receiver on this team is stretching the field? 

They have 0 speed at the position. 

KB could for sure because even if he's not open, he's open.

Besides, you don't needBob Hayes out there to throw a few bombs. I've seen them caught by slow guys.  DBs will always respect the long ball.  Getting beat deep looks real bad.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

We have seen repeatedly that the line can not hold up for more than one second much less 3, josh allen has the greatest arm i have seen in a long time but he is not going to get a chance with our line.

i think the line will be better in the regular season.  Don't think they'll be near as bad and should be able to provide some protection.  Whoever is back there won't be able to hold onto the football too long or it will be Sack City.  If they both do their job we should be ok IMHO.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

From all of his preseason play from last year, his regular season appearances and his preseason this year

Was the ability to throw over the top of a defense to keep them honest... yes a quick rhythm passing game is nice, but it’s only effective for so long if you cannot stretch the Defense 

even Fitz attempted and has pushed the ball downfield, with success and failure 

eventually CBs and Safeties will sit on the underneath routes and jam up passing lanes if   Peterman shows he will not throw downfield

Hopefully he takes some calculated shots downfield this Sunday to Benjamin and Company to open up some room for Shady, ivory and Murphy 

If he can’t keep the defence honest we will see a lot of picks on Sunday.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No it's not!  If he goes to the bench then he will be going back to the bench.  He was brought in as a backup QB.  He will still be one.  

Realistically, how long would you hold onto a backup QB that every time you put him in he throws picks?

3 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

Or...he is just another in a long line of not quite good enough to make it/barely good enough to make a roster-guys, that have passed through the training camps of the NFL for decades.

NEVER confuse effort with success.  

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

What ball on the first drive traveled 30+ yards in the air? I don’t recall

The ball traveled around 17 yards In the air on a Benjamin TD... doesn’t really qualify as a deep ball

QB's rarely throw over 30 yards. That's why arm strength is overrated. It's all about timing and accuracy. 

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

QB's rarely throw over 30 yards. That's why arm strength is overrated. It's all about timing and accuracy. 

I would not say rarely and arm strength is not overrated 

Kellen Moore would be a very good QB if he had better arm strength... he has all the timing and accuracy you want 

Aaron Rodgers has used his arm strength to his advantage his whole career 

A good QB throws 30+ yards downfield atleast a few times a game. I have yet to see Peterman do it in a live game yet

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

Dart? This just isn't true. 

It's absolutely true. Peterman lacks the arm to get the ball all the way across the field on even short passes, with CBs coming hard on the ball. Twice in preseason he did this and the CB dropped a pick six. The last time we saw him last year he did it and the CB intercepted in the playoff game. It's inarguable that is one of his downfalls and if he proves he can make that throw he can succeed, and if he shows what he has shown so far he is dead man walking.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would not say rarely and arm strength is not overrated 

Kellen Moore would be a very good QB if he had better arm strength... he has all the timing and accuracy you want 

Aaron Rodgers has used his arm strength to his advantage his whole career 

A good QB throws 30+ yards downfield atleast a few times a game. I have yet to see Peterman do it in a live game yet

Exactly. He cannot or has not shown he can throw it on a line 20 yards.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's absolutely true. Peterman lacks the arm to get the ball all the way across the field on even short passes, with CBs coming hard on the ball. Twice in preseason he did this and the CB dropped a pick six. The last time we saw him last year he did it and the CB intercepted in the playoff game. It's inarguable that is one of his downfalls and if he proves he can make that throw he can succeed, and if he shows what he has shown so far he is dead man walking.

Exactly. He cannot or has not shown he can throw it on a line 20 yards.

He made poor reads. 

8 hours ago, Big C said:

This is my biggest concern about Peterman. The field is much smaller.

But it is odd that I haven't seen a single deep ball from him. I don't even remember reading about one in practice. 

Maybe because we don’t really have much speed ( WR ‘s ) to go  deep in the first place ??

Edited by Putin

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They are not poor reads at all if the ball gets there quick enough.

The Bengals near pick 6 was really Peterman not being able to step into his throw, OL pushed into his face. Also the DB was already breaking on the ball before it left Peterman's hand. That's what people are worried about, DB jumping routes.

6 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

The Bengals near pick 6 was really Peterman not being able to step into his throw, OL pushed into his face. Also the DB was already breaking on the ball before it left Peterman's hand. That's what people are worried about, DB jumping routes.

Because they KNOW he cannot get the ball there fast enough! 

Peterman held the safety with his eyes and hit Benjamin 20+ yards downfield for the TD. You don't need to get much more "deep" than that in this offense.

I liked that Daboll was talking about adjusting the game plan to each QB's skill set. Whoever's in the game, he's going to limit the areas they suck at and expand on the areas they're good at.

It might be a little cliche and he'll need to prove it on game day, but it's encouraging none-the-less. Dennison seemed to struggle with adjusting his game plan.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Because they KNOW he cannot get the ball there fast enough! 

That's not it. It's tendencies. DB's are jumping routes, but if Peterman shows more throws they won't, can't. I want to see Peterman use that. That's where we need to see him evolve. Many QB's with weak to average arms have been successful throwing outs. Drew Brees for example. It's all about keeping DB's off balance.

7 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

yeah, i get it. i will just never trash a guy for doing his best and being a good guy. if he were a raging d-bag, that's another story. his ceiling very well may be a serviceable backup. but we need one of those too.

26 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

yeah, i get it. i will just never trash a guy for doing his best and being a good guy. if he were a raging d-bag, that's another story. his ceiling very well may be a serviceable backup. but we need one of those too.

I don't hate the guy. I think for some fans, they identify with the whole underdog persona he has. Allen has suitable  enough underdog mojo in his story for me. 
I  don't need a guy to be a former grocery store bagger to cheer for him.    

Edited by OJ Tom

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

KB for one. Zay's fast enough. Got open deep last year.

You're making bad excuses before the season even starts.

KB is super fast I forgot , that’s why we have no need for Colman 

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

WTF?!

On an 18 yard pass in the air, to a wide open KB, you B word and say, "Give him his due"-  responding to me saying - "Good pass, right on the money but it wasn't that long  and not difficult" with you saying "nice pass, right on the money with a safety and corner under." Which wasn't really true, of course. The CB wasn't close to him and the safety was running over but didn't even get there in time to stop him from running untouched ten yards into the endzone.

Methinks the author doth protest too much. 

8 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I guess the question to this would be would prefer this on 3rd and short or a dump off on 3rd and long?  I'd honestly prefer he take the chance since they would probably be covering the super short routes.

A long pass along the sidelines on third and short is a pet peeve with me.  It’s not just the Bills who are guilty. I think anyone with even an inkling of the concept of analytics would realize that that play has a low probability of success.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Realistically, how long would you hold onto a backup QB that every time you put him in he throws picks?

NEVER confuse effort with success.  

Not long.

But we all know that's not going to happen.  No one has ever been that bad at this job.

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

WTF?!

To be fair though, how many NFL safeties are fast enough to catch up to KB? He's a burner.

• Haha (+1) 1

I just hope most fans have a tad more patience that what I read in here.

Did you see the first half last night? The SUPERBOWL CHAMPS with their Superbowl MVP Backup QB had gained ONE yard 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter.

It was 6-3 when I stopped watching and the half was almost over. With two offense powerhouses. (Sure their D is good too, no doubt, but still, both have a reputation for offense)

Point is: offenses don't score on every drive, and most plays are NOT successful.

The only legit gripe we can have for Peterman is if he throws many picks right away. Otherwise... RELAX and have some perspective. Reading on here you'd think only the Bills have made bad trades, bad drafts, bad play calling, all ex-Bills become superstars elsewhere, etc. Newsflash: none of the 32 teams are perfect! You think even Bellichick doesn't get criticized in the papers? Recall a few years back after their shaky 1-2 start where they did look bad when the Boston media implied that maybe Brady was getting too old and Grumpy Bill couldn't pass his message anymore. Ridiculous.

15 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Look, i hear what you are saying about the deep ball. Peterman can throw the ball deep.  Is he going to throw it 70 yards? No. Can he throw it 30 to 40 yards accurately over the top if defenders cheat up on the short routes? Yes. Anyone in the NFL can throw the ball 40+ yards with enough accuracy and velocity to keep a team honest. It will be Peterman's ability to do so consistently that will determine the effectiveness. This goes for any one of the routes. Keeping the defense off balance is a great key to success. I hope Peterman can make the throws he needs to when he needs to make them. 

I think that might be an advantage to keeping and playing Foster.  We'll see.

15 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Every qb in the NFL, including all of the PS and all of the weak armed ones like Matt Barkley can throw the ball 55 yards in the air. Every one. That does nothing to dispel weak arm worries.

Not sure just how that makes sense??

16 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I've never seen him play a game from start to finish. 

I've never seen him win a game as the starting QB that didn't involve what an insurence agency would classify an "Act of God".

I've never seen him quit either. 

I've never seen him make excuses.

I've never seen him work harder than he did this off-season to improve.

I've never seen a player with so much to prove.

While I don't expect Nate to look like Rodgers 2.0 I am hopeful that the work he put in during the off-season and the addition of Brian Daboll can show he is at the very least a servicible spot starter in the NFL.

This sums it up. For all that the kid has been through, you have to admire how hard he worked. Anybody that watched the preseason knows, he straight up won the job by outperforming the others. This wasn't given to him.

32 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

Not sure just how that makes sense??

Because when anyone talks about lack of "arm strength" in the NFL in a meaningful way it is not about being able to lob a ball 55 yards. They all can. It's about can you throw a straight hard pass on an out pattern or deep out or 25 yard crossing pattern and have it get there hard and quick enough that a NFL CB or S doesn't step in front and intercept or knock it down. A lot of out patterns that are completions in college and practice and preseason are pick sixes or INTs or incomplete in real games if you lack sufficient arm strength. 

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not long.

But we all know that's not going to happen.  No one has ever been that bad at this job.

That's what we said before the Chargers game.

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

I just hope most fans have a tad more patience that what I read in here.

Did you see the first half last night? The SUPERBOWL CHAMPS with their Superbowl MVP Backup QB had gained ONE yard 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter.

It was 6-3 when I stopped watching and the half was almost over. With two offense powerhouses. (Sure their D is good too, no doubt, but still, both have a reputation for offense)

Point is: offenses don't score on every drive, and most plays are NOT successful.

Nick Foles had 117 yards and a pick.  They had 113 yards rushing to Atlanta's 74.  Maybe run and stop the run still works after all.