Tracker: Bills' Roster Moves to the 53 Man Limit - Two Players Awarded from Waiver Claims with Colton Schmidt Released

1 hour ago, Yeezus said:

Beane is a joke

Why tf did he trade for Coleman just to cut him and we lost 3m and a draft pick. guy is in way over his head 

Um, because he was a former 1st round pick that had the speed element that was missing from the current WR group and he had a chance to get him for a song?

Seriously, what are the chances that a 2019 7th round pick is what makes the difference for this team? Coleman, had he panned out here, could have been a difference maker.

That's smart GMing. It's the same reason that a team like NE deals a pick for Kony Ealy--you take chances on talented players when the price is low. This is a concept called "buying low".

Look it up.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Um, because he was a former 1st round pick that had the speed element that was missing from the current WR group and he had a chance to get him for a song?

Seriously, what are the chances that a 2019 7th round pick is what makes the difference for this team? Coleman, had he panned out here, could have been a difference maker.

That's smart GMing. It's the same reason that a team like NE deals a pick for Kony Ealy--you take chances on talented players when the price is low. This is a concept called "buying low".

Look it up.

Dude, you realize this is Yeezus you are responding to right?  ?

3 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

Speed kills. Foster is a rookie, so obviously they think they can develop him into a better player. 

If he learns how to track the ball and doesn't quit on his routes, he could be good.  Skill set (speed) might make for a good complimentary receiver to Allens long ball.  At least the Bills have some speed on receiving crew.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Look it up.

It was a bad move but hardly career defining. If Allen ultimately busts, that would be a disaster for him. Bills carry the most dead cap this year and second most space under cap next year. We all knew this would be a tough season for talent. 

Next year they can add 4 too taents plus draft. Much different 2019 talent discussion. 

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Foster is good at getting separation, he just doesn’t seem good at completing the play. If you can’t track the ball and actually catch it, they don’t even have to cover you 

Surely true. They obviously think he can learn to track it. Getting separation is probably harder to learn. He may be the only WR on the entire team that gets separation. KB is very good but he doesn't. Kerley used to and he is serviceable but he really doesn't at this stage. Zay is so so although he surely has potential to become a guy who gets it. Holmes doesn't. Ray Ray Ray is a rook. That could be reason alone to keep him. He gets open. He's fast. He has skills. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If you are keeping Foster, do we really need Holmes? Not that we really need him anyway. I just don’t see the point in keeping more then the minimum here. Everyone outside of KB and Kurley stink.

They only keep Holmes as a gunner on ST not for WR. I don't think that's reason enough but they do. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Foster did get really good separation on deep balls. We've got to have at least one deep threat.

Yeah I guess even if he can't track the ball he's still going to scare DCs enough that they have to keep an eye on him. I doubt we see him much this year but I'll take him over Kaelin Clay.

I just do not get the Foster sticking.  Then again this regime does have a tendency to lean on those that they know.  To me Foster was outplayed a lot this Preseason and at best should be on the PS.  Maybe he will when waiver claims start happening.  No matter what happens today those that are 43-53 on the roster need to keep their bags packed initially.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If you are keeping Foster, do we really need Holmes? Not that we really need him anyway. I just don’t see the point in keeping more then the minimum here. Everyone outside of KB and Kurley stink.

You keep holmes because he is your special team gunner.  Foster did not play much on special teams.

You let Holmes go if you feel you have someone tat can pick up that slack on special teams - if not he sticks around.  

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t agree with that. I think he’s probably the 2nd best guy we have and when the games count for real, people will see that. He was good in SF and misused in NY. Kurley would be an 80 catch 900 yd guy in the right system with an accurate QB.

Agreed. He was actually pretty good on the Jets, too. My only worry was if he still has the legs to play and get open. I'm not sure either way. If he does he's a pretty good slot WR. 

20 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I was at work.

First thing i did was look behind me to see if anyone noticed.
Thank gosh no one was near me!
 That would have been hard to explain : ))
 Have not taken that bait in years..  Perfect timing well executed throw. 

Thanks for the good laugh HOF : )

dammit clicked it again !!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

You keep holmes because he is your special team gunner.  Foster did not play much on special teams.

You let Holmes go if you feel you have someone tat can pick up that slack on special teams - if not he sticks around.  

We are probably going to punt a good amount this year. I understand valuing special teams but with very few KO going to be returned against the Bills because Hauschka has a good leg, is the second best gunner really going to be that much worse when PR for all teams are rarely more than 10 yards per?

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Would love to see the numbers on that.  Long term you're probably correct but In would highly doubt "most" 7th round picks are cut in their first year.

I would bet a majority of them are and then signed to practice squads. You are a bubble player the minute you're drafted especially since undrafted rookies are brought in immediately. When you draft someone in the fifth to seventh round you are basically saying, we want to guarantee ourselves a chance to see this kid in practice rather than hoping he signs with you after the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

We are probably going to punt a good amount this year. I understand valuing special teams but with very few KO going to be returned against the Bills because Hauschka has a good leg, is the second best gunner really going to be that much worse when PR for all teams are rarely more than 10 yards per?

I don’t know - it depends upon what they have seen in practice.  I think as the winds pick up and it gets colder - there will be more returns of kick-offs this year.

It also depends upon what punter they are keeping and the punting plan.  Colton seems to be a more directional kicker lacking some of the length - especially lately.  If they keep him and punt to the sidelines - then gunner is less important, but if they are going for distance with hang time then the Gunner might be critical to getting a fair catch.

Myfeeling is when you are looking at the bottom of the roster a guy that is good at special teams and can help out WR is better than a good WR that is not as good at ST. Holmes or another Gunner will get significantly more plays on special teams than they will at WR for the year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Would love to see the numbers on that.  Long term you're probably correct but In would highly doubt "most" 7th round picks are cut in their first year.

Fair enough as that's the sort of imprecision and absolutism I advise student writers to avoid :). I'd guess about 60% make the team the first year, but that's a total semi-educated guest. I meant that most of them never make any significant impact. If we would be able to choose a recent 1st rounder who has shown flashes or, say, a player who already has a touchdown in the NFL (K. Clay), it would probably be a much more attractive pick.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Agreed. He was actually pretty good on the Jets, too. My only worry was if he still has the legs to play and get open. I'm not sure either way. If he does he's a pretty good slot WR. 

He was a reliable 3rd down possession, move the sticks type of receiver who knew how to get open in tight windows and find holes in the zones

Edited by matter2003