Tracker: Bills' Roster Moves to the 53 Man Limit - Two Players Awarded from Waiver Claims with Colton Schmidt Released

Buffalo Bills Cuts Tracker: Watching as the Bills Cut Down to 53 players

It’s the weekend after the final preseason game, which means the Buffalo Bills will be cutting their roster from 90 to 53 players. Last year, the NFL changed the roster rules and removed the initial cut down period, which put all the emphasis on a single weekend of cuts. Teams batched their releases over the course of the weekend, and will likely do the same leading up to Saturday’s 4PM deadline.

Buffalo Bills' Transactions Page

DmCkMCNVAAAQVYz.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Bills Today: GM Brandon Beane on establishing the final 53-man roster

1 – GM Brandon Beane discusses the Bills’ process to get to 53 players by Saturday's deadline

Saturday marks the deadline to finalize each team’s 53-man roster for the regular season and Bills general manager Brandon Beane is working to find the right combination for the season opener in Baltimore. Beane talked yesterday about how tough the cut-down process will be, and what the process is like.

“We will meet with these guys Saturday morning, but we will cut it [the roster] down Friday,” said Beane during Thursday’s Bills-Bears broadcast. “We will know what the roster will be, and Sean [McDermott] and I will meet with each and every one of them.”

Beane stressed that it is important to be honest throughout the process, as each player has performed to the best of their ability throughout the whole offseason and training camp schedule.

“We think it is important for them to hear from us,” Beane said. “We want to answer any questions they have and try to shoot them straight. I feel the best thing to do is to be as honest as you can be.”

Although the cut-down is a tough time for everyone involved, the Bills will also be focused on players who may or may not be let go from other teams. Beane noted that the Bills were active at the end of last year’s preseason, and that things could be similar in 2018.

“We put in for four claims last year and got three of those guys,” he said. “Once we get our group down to 53, it doesn’t mean that we are done. We have looked at where guys are getting reps around the league over the last couple of weeks.”
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bills Today: GM Brandon Beane on establishing the final 53-man roster

1 – GM Brandon Beane discusses the Bills’ process to get to 53 players by Saturday's deadline

Saturday marks the deadline to finalize each team’s 53-man roster for the regular season and Bills general manager Brandon Beane is working to find the right combination for the season opener in Baltimore. Beane talked yesterday about how tough the cut-down process will be, and what the process is like.

“We will meet with these guys Saturday morning, but we will cut it [the roster] down Friday,” said Beane during Thursday’s Bills-Bears broadcast. “We will know what the roster will be, and Sean [McDermott] and I will meet with each and every one of them.”

Beane stressed that it is important to be honest throughout the process, as each player has performed to the best of their ability throughout the whole offseason and training camp schedule.

“We think it is important for them to hear from us,” Beane said. “We want to answer any questions they have and try to shoot them straight. I feel the best thing to do is to be as honest as you can be.”

Although the cut-down is a tough time for everyone involved, the Bills will also be focused on players who may or may not be let go from other teams. Beane noted that the Bills were active at the end of last year’s preseason, and that things could be similar in 2018.

“We put in for four claims last year and got three of those guys,” he said. “Once we get our group down to 53, it doesn’t mean that we are done. We have looked at where guys are getting reps around the league over the last couple of weeks.”

Awesome to hear that MCD and Bean talk to all of the players individually.  Likely can help those who don't make it improve their games, or perhaps its' "we have too many X, but team Y might be interested in you."  Great classy move.  

• Like (+1) 3

I agree, the absolute worst position to be in is the guy who is "relieved" he makes the 53 on Saturday morning, only to be cut on Sunday because another cut from another team is picked up.  Must be nerve-wracking.

• Like (+1) 1

Being classy and respectful with these players had long-term benefits. Some of those cut will be wanted back later. All of them will talk to other players around the league. Reputations like that matter.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

DUCASSE!!!!!  , DUCASSE!!!!!  , DUCASSE!!!!!  , DUCASSE!!!!!  , DUCASSE!!!!! 

Unfortunately, he's a starter. Unless they are able to bring in a starter via trade or off the waivers wire, he's all ours.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I have to imagine it's worse to make the cut, survive the deadline,  only to be released the next day because they preferred someone else who was with another team.

It's brutal for those guys on the bubble.

As long as they identify and bring in cut OL guys from the rest of the league. There's gotta be better lineman than the steamy pile we have.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Joe Buscaglia Retweeted Ian Rapoport

First roster cut for the #Bills is in. Check here for continuous updates https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-53-man-roster-cutdown-8_31_18

You are a low down dirty snake

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

As long as they identify and bring in cut OL guys from the rest of the league. There's gotta be better lineman than the steamy pile we have.

Totally agree. You have to cut a guy if you can replace him with a better player. If the GM doesn't have the stones for that then it's time to get a new GM who does.

I was commenting on how tough a life it is for the borderline guys. 

15 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Joe Buscaglia Retweeted Ian Rapoport

First roster cut for the #Bills is in. Check here for continuous updates https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-53-man-roster-cutdown-8_31_18

I didn't see that coming. I'm pretty sure that dude played on our OL for most of the Bengals game. ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1