Tracker: Bills' Roster Moves to the 53 Man Limit - Two Players Awarded from Waiver Claims with Colton Schmidt Released

4 minutes ago, Big C said:

There is virtually no difference between a 7th round pick and a lot of UDFA. 

True. In some cases the UDFA's are actually better. Most 7th round picks are taken because they possess "freak" athleticism, whether its speed, strength, etc and coaches "hope" they can turn them into football players whereas a lot of UDFA's are actually good football players with not so great measurables...those guys typically tend to do better in real games than the "freaks" who are often one-trick ponies.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

True. In some cases the UDFA's are actually better. Most 7th round picks are taken because they possess "freak" athleticism, whether its speed, strength, etc and coaches "hope" they can turn them into football players whereas a lot of UDFA's are actually good football players with not so great measurables...those guys typically tend to do better in real games than the "freaks" who are often one-trick ponies.

Sixth and seventh rounders and the first 50 or more UDFA are indistinguishable. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Sixth and seventh rounders and the first 50 or more UDFA are indistinguishable. 

That is simply not true...they ARE distinguishable...very distinguishable...as far as looking at combine numbers go they are at least..I was working on a football game and did huge amounts of research(including having the most comprehensive listing of combine stats in one place with almost 7000 players) and 7th round picks are almost ALWAYS "freak" type players. Flyers on uncoachable or untrainable skills but often times not very good at actually playing football.

6th rounders are typically more along the lines of the UDFA players that they are good "football" players but with not great measurables...6th rounders measurables are better than the UDFA's measurables tho by and in large. 

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DrDare said:

Wow I thought Reilly was released for Streater, but we are saying Robert Foster is better than Reilly?

He’s got better speed  for the NFL game. May not pan out, but with Coleman flaming out there is precious little top end speed among this WR corps. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

He’s got better speed  for the NFL game. May not pan out, but with Coleman flaming out there is precious little top end speed among this WR corps. 

Zay has good speed but he doesn't seem to have the burst or acceleration to use it well enough...takes him too long to get to top speed and by that point the play is over.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Honestly, with how bad he looked this pre-season, it would be a little surprising but not shocking to see him cut.

He was absolutely talking about other players, not himself. Even if he is bad this year he was brought in to start and they don't really have a choice right now unless Johnson develops fast.

• Like (+1) 1

That is simply not true...they ARE distinguishable...I was working on a football game and did huge amounts of research(including having the most comprehensive listing of combine stats in one place with almost 7000 players) and 7th round picks are almost ALWAYS "freak" type players. Flyers on uncoachable or untrainable skills but often times not very good at actually playing football.

I just meant how they turn out and whether they get to be eventual decent or even good NFL players. Totally agree that the ones drafted are freakish at one thing or athletic, etc, and drafters take chances on them over guys without the gifts but are just good if not very good football players. I ONLY meant the chance of them becoming good is the same. You're right on the difference you noted. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ksm27 said:

Is there really a reason to keep 2 punters (assuming that’s what they’re doing)?  Can’t you always just sign one off the street?

There are still 15-20 cuts left to be made. They won't keep two punters.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Reilly and Prohl on their way as we speak.

This.

It seems many have posted Reilly as the second coming of Steve Largent.  Everyone knows that the Pats have done well with caucasian slot receivers and every time

a team lets one go (Chris Hogan) we have a WNY panic attack. Reilly is a fringe player and if he was all that the Bills would love to keep him. I want the Bills to win

many Super Bowls and if it takes small moves forward to climb to the top of that mountain I will be patient with the present FO.

• Like (+1) 1

Zay has good speed but he doesn't seem to have the burst or acceleration to use it well enough...takes him too long to get to top speed and by that point the play is over.

Agree with that assessment. I’m not confident he will pan out at all. Hasn’t shown much to date. 

1 minute ago, Bisonbreath123 said:

This.

It seems many have posted Reilly as the second coming of Steve Largent.  Everyone knows that the Pats have done well with caucasian slot receivers and every time

a team lets one go (Chris Hogan) we have a WNY panic attack. Reilly is a fringe player and if he was all that the Bills would love to keep him. I want the Bills to win

many Super Bowls and if it takes small moves forward to climb to the top of that mountain I will be patient with the present FO.

I don't get the love for Reilly at all, seems like just another guy

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

His signing bonus money was eaten by CLE.

The 3.5 million was guaranteed salary money for 2018 and 2019.

The 3.5 million is all dead money this year.

As of now Bill's have 8.4 cap space left.

Not much to do anything.

This is not good news!!!

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just meant how they turn out and whether they get to be eventual decent or even good NFL players. Totally agree that the ones drafted are freakish at one thing or athletic, etc, and drafters take chances on them over guys without the gifts but are just good if not very good football players. I ONLY meant the chance of them becoming good is the same. You're right on the difference you noted. 

Yeah you are pretty much correct on that...I'll have to go back and check, I have all the career AV stats for these players from the start of the combine(18 years worth) from Pro Football Reference and I am pretty sure there are no major differences in what you noted...

7th round picks usually fail because they don't have he basic skills needed to be a good football player and UDFA's fail because they don't have the size/strength/speed necessary to compete physically...I'd be willing to bet the percentage of UDFA's that make it in the CFL is higher than 7th round picks.

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

This is not good news!!!

Who cares? They aren't spending 8.5 million on anything this year and the dead cap money will be gone next year. Completely irrelevant.

7 minutes ago, Bisonbreath123 said:

This.

a team lets one go (Chris Hogan) we have a WNY panic attack. Reilly is a fringe player and if he was all that the Bills would love to keep him. 

So true. Reminds me of some random idiot that called in to the John Murphy show ( I know , state radio ) a couple weeks ago. Said the Bills need more of what New England has done by using white WR’s ! Lol dumbest thing ever. He kept qualifying it by saying it was nothing to do with race but they really need white WRs. Hilarious, when what the Bills have really needed was a QB more similar to New England’s. 

6 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

I don't get the love for Reilly at all, seems like just another guy

Bills fans love JAG s

Edited by Boatdrinks

7 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Bills gonna keep two punters...

...and both will be on the field for all punts!

Kind of a wildcat punt situation.

Thinking outside the box and trend setting!

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

This is not good news!!!

Nope, if a decent veteran lineman gets cut for cap reasons Bill's might not have enough to bid on him.

2 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

All the cuts have already been made, they just aren't releasing names quickly, is all. I'm sure the league office already has all the moves. 

Semantics. My point was that there were several cuts yet to be announced.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah you are pretty much correct on that...I'll have to go back and check, I have all the career AV stats for these players from the start of the combine(18 years worth) from Pro Football Reference and I am pretty sure there are no major differences in what you noted...

7th round picks usually fail because they don't have he basic skills needed to be a good football player and UDFA's fail because they don't have the size/strength/speed necessary to compete physically...I'd be willing to bet the percentage of UDFA's that make it in the CFL is higher than 7th round picks.

Right. Anyone lower than the third round has some fairly large question mark to their game. Not saying anyone 1-3 doesnt, only that if you are picked in the 4th or 5th round they are just hoping against hope you're going to become a starter. Any random season you look back on the fifth round and there just are not many good players that come out of it.

There are what, 80 or so players taken in the 6th and 7th round. All of them have huge question marks. And many if not most are like you described, have one special skill or talent or measurable. But the chances of them being in the league and contributing three years later are very small. And the only reason a lot of them have jobs is because their GM doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. 

With kerley, Benjamin, and Jones most likely being the 3 starting WRs, I would think Peterman would be a good fit considering he is fairly accurate and gets the ball out quickly.  None of these three are going to separate based on speed so it will be up to Dabol to game plan to get these guys open on quick crossing routes with play action, etc.  Just get the ball in their hands and have them make a play.

Edited by richardb1952
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Big C said:

He was absolutely talking about other players, not himself. Even if he is bad this year he was brought in to start and they don't really have a choice right now unless Johnson develops fast.

Oh I know that, but I was just saying he shouldn't be talking with how bad he was haha