How many WR's are the Bills going to keep?

njbuff

definitely keeping 6. Hopefully Reilly can prove his worth on special teams to get Holmes off the roster. Ray Ray seems to have taken a step ahead amongst our young receivers, but things can change quickly.  

Right now I have it 

1. Kelvin Benjamin

2. Corey Coleman 

3. Jeremy Kerley

4. Zay Jones

5. Reilly 

6. Mccloud

———————————

7. Holmes

8. Streater

9. Dupre

10. Proehl

11. Foster

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Given Coleman’s injury history, I’m inclined to think they may keep 6 on the roster. 

Not to mention Benjamin’s prior leg issues as well. And all the unknowns connected to Zay.

1 hour ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

definitely keeping 6. Hopefully Reilly can prove his worth on special teams to get Holmes off the roster. Ray Ray seems to have taken a step ahead amongst our young receivers, but things can change quickly.  

Right now I have it 

1. Kelvin Benjamin

2. Corey Coleman 

3. Jeremy Kerley

4. Zay Jones

5. Reilly 

6. Mccloud

———————————

7. Holmes

8. Streater

9. Dupre

10. Proehl

11. Foster

I like, nay, LOVE this list!!  

1 hour ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

Right now I have it 

1. Kelvin Benjamin

2. Corey Coleman 

3. Jeremy Kerley

4. Zay Jones

5. Reilly 

6. Mccloud

———————————

7. Holmes

8. Streater

9. Dupre

10. Proehl

11. Foster

Speaking of which, exactly how is Holmes so valuable to special teams that he's irreplaceable? He has always seemed a very mediocre wide receiver...

2 hours ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

Right now I have it 

1. Kelvin Benjamin

2. Corey Coleman 

3. Jeremy Kerley

4. Zay Jones

5. Reilly 

6. Mccloud

———————————

7. Holmes

8. Streater

9. Dupre

10. Proehl

11. Foster

This is what I’m hoping for as well.

would like to see one of the rookies step up and take Kerleys spot too.

i hope cam philips/proehl/Foster can do something roster worthy 

Edited by BakersBills

They Kept 5 last year. 

However with the new KO Rules I think you will see a change in how Back End of Rosters are built. Gone will be the bigger ST players and more athletic guys. 

So could see 7 kept. 

1 minute ago, ny33 said:

What is this obsession people have with Brandon Reilly? I’d rather have a proven mediocre receiver in Holmes. 

Because Reilly gives you what Holmes already does with Room for Growth. Over Holmes gives Mediocre play at WR and no room for Growth. 

Here is what I have so far. 

1. KB - Lock

2. Kerley

3. Jones

4. Coleman

5. McCloud

6. Reilly

7. Holmes

8 Phillips - PS if eligible or IR stash

9. Dupre - PS if eligible 

10. Streater

11 Foster - PS if eligible

12  Proehl

I would not be surprised to see McCloud on the practice squad unless he takes over punt/ kick off return duties.  Similar in height/ size to Kerley.  Don't count out Streater either.  I believe they will keep 6 depending on how many TEs they keep.  I wonder about Holmes who hardly played last year with the poor cast they had then.  If he makes it I believe they think he is too valuable on special teams/ inside 20 to let go.

My six would be:

Benjamin

Coleman

Jones

Reilly

Ray Ray

Kerley

I do like what Streater brings though.  I'd toss Foster on the PS for sure.  Work on his hands the entire season and see what he has next year.  I think there's some untapped potential in Foster.  You don't get open like that if something isn't good about you.  He gets open a lot.  He just doesn't catch a lot.

Edited by NewEraBills

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

They Kept 5 last year. 

However with the new KO Rules I think you will see a change in how Back End of Rosters are built. Gone will be the bigger ST players and more athletic guys. 

So could see 7 kept. 

Because Reilly gives you what Holmes already does with Room for Growth. Over Holmes gives Mediocre play at WR and no room for Growth. 

Here is what I have so far. 

1. KB - Lock

2. Kerley

3. Jones

4. Coleman

5. McCloud

6. Reilly

7. Holmes

8 Phillips - PS if eligible or IR stash

9. Dupre - PS if eligible 

10. Streater

11 Foster - PS if eligible

12  Proehl

My problem with cutting Holmes for Reilly is that you then have a team with two guys who've proven that they can play at an NFL level (Benjamin and Kerley). Coleman, Reilly, and Jones have shown nothing, and even if McCloud is there as a returner I'd be seriously concerned with the lack of experience.

Just now, artmalibu said:

Holmes did lead the WRs in TD receptions last year.  I thought he was under used. 

Funny with all the talk of how bad the Bills are at WR, but all the interest in in the bottom of the roster guys...

I think that’s one of the issues. They have a bunch of guys that are bottom of the roster caliber receivers. IMO they need a number 1 and they’d be good. If you bumped everyone down one spot you’d be pretty good. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that’s one of the issues. They have a bunch of guys that are bottom of the roster caliber receivers. IMO they need a number 1 and they’d be good. If you bumped everyone down one spot you’d be pretty good. 

Bills should trade for Treadwell.

2 hours ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

Speaking of which, exactly how is Holmes so valuable to special teams that he's irreplaceable? He has always seemed a very mediocre wide receiver...

You answered your own question.  He is a mediocre WR, but year after year he's on a roster because he performs well on special teams.  Every team has a few players they keep for ST's even if they aren't near the top of their position group.  Holmes is one of them.  But Daboll seems to like him at WR too.

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Bills should trade for Treadwell.

It’s kind of funny that you say that because I was watching that game last night and saw him out there. I forgot he was in Minnesota. I was thinking “I wonder what it would take to get him?” He can’t be more than the number 3 there? After a brutal rookie year he was a little better last year. He would be another buy low candidate. 

The main problem I see if the Vikings are going for it this year. They are a Super Bowl favorite. I don’t see them trading a depth receiver for a late round pick. If Theilen or Diggs goes down I’d imagine Treadwell becomes pretty important. 

I know Streeter is old but to me he has really looked the part. I actually think with the TE speed we have our Receiving corp. is not the weakness the national media perceives. Steeter was sharp with the ones on Thursday. Crisp routes and really good hands.  He was completely off my radar as a good receiver before the game but he looks like a true NFL receiver. Good number 3/slot. I think it's 7 they keep:

1. KB

2. Kerley

3. Streeter

4. Coleman

5. Zay Jones

6. Holmes

7 or 8 McCloud ( returner or PS) 

7 or 8 Reilly (returner or PS)

Edited by Lenigmusx
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ny33 said:

What is this obsession people have with Brandon Reilly? I’d rather have a proven mediocre receiver in Holmes. 

He flashes talent.   He's an underdog.  And he reminds some of themselves most likely.   I   thought he should've made the team last year.  This year?  After the Bills trading for Coleman, and Ray Ray (a draft pick) playing well, I don't see it, unless he's standing out on Special Teams.  I can see him back on the practice squad.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Is it 5 or 6?

Right now the 5 seem pretty simple given the different abilities.

1. Benjamin

2. Coleman

3. Kerley

4. Jones

5. Holmes

And do they keep Ray Ray if there are 6?

After the 1st pre-season game, I think that is the 6 right now. It may not be reflected in playing time, but I think Kerley is the 6th WR. If the other 5 really look good and no one else steps up, they may only keep 5. If someone on the outside like Streeter/Dupre steps up, he takes Kerley's spot and they keep 6.

23 minutes ago, purple haze said:

He flashes talent.   He's an underdog.  And he reminds some of themselves most likely.   I   thought he should've made the team last year.  This year?  After the Bills trading for Coleman, and Ray Ray (a draft pick) playing well, I don't see it, unless he's standing out on Special Teams.  I can see him back on the practice squad.

he's concentrating on st...and he's faster than holmes.  he's hoganx4. i do not want to see brady making him an all pro.....which is what will happen if he is cut or goes to the p.s.

31 minutes ago, purple haze said:

...think the Reilly kid acquitted himself fairly well last year in OTA's, practice and TC......a bit tougher this year because McD is spreading these guys among THREE competent QB's...just a wild guess, but I do't think they activated him last year (probably didn't see the necessity) which means he did not log an accrued season, thus extending his RFA status by a year (I think).....pretty decent hype from the D&C's Sal.........

Sal Maiorana, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Published 11:00 p.m. ET July 31, 2018 EXCERPT):

If anyone had compiled an all-St. John Fisher College team at the end of the Bills’ 2017 training camp, Brandon Reilly would have been the No. 1 wide receiver.

Not only did he light up the practice field last summer, he led the Bills with 11 catches for 139 yards in the four preseason games, and the fans loved it because as a former walk-on at Nebraska, and then as an undrafted free agent signee of the Bills, Reilly represented the ultimate feel-good, underdog story that blue-collar Buffalo so dearly loves.

But while earning a spot on the practice squad was cool and all, Reilly has set his sights a little higher this year.

“I was surprised how quick the fans caught on, and I definitely appreciate it, but I don’t want to be just a training camp favorite, I hope to be a regular-season and playoff favorite as well,” he said. “That’s what I’m working for.”

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

6 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

he's concentrating on st...and he's faster than holmes.  he's hoganx4. i do not want to see brady making him an all pro.....which is what will happen if he is cut or goes to the p.s.

That's what folks said last year.  The Pats, nor any other team came for him, and had an entire season to do so.  Reilly hasn't proven to be Hogan x 4, and in actuality, Hogan is just "OK" himself.  Brady hasn't made him all anything.  Hogan's the same "OK" he was with the Bills.  But he does play those Special Teams well.  I saw #89 make a tackle on a kickoff return on Thursday so good start for him.  We shall see.

1 hour ago, ny33 said:

My problem with cutting Holmes for Reilly is that you then have a team with two guys who've proven that they can play at an NFL level (Benjamin and Kerley). Coleman, Reilly, and Jones have shown nothing, and even if McCloud is there as a returner I'd be seriously concerned with the lack of experience.

Is 13 catches for 130 yards really that hard to replace. And it isnt like he has been good since well ever. 

His best year was 2014 and that was 47 for 693. 

Corey Coleman has better number than that and has never played a full season. 

So again Andre Holmes is very very expendable 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s kind of funny that you say that because I was watching that game last night and saw him out there. I forgot he was in Minnesota. I was thinking “I wonder what it would take to get him?” He can’t be more than the number 3 there? After a brutal rookie year he was a little better last year. He would be another buy low candidate. 

The main problem I see if the Vikings are going for it this year. They are a Super Bowl favorite. I don’t see them trading a depth receiver for a late round pick. If Theilen or Diggs goes down I’d imagine Treadwell becomes pretty important. 

It depends on how the Vikings feel about the guys behind him. I think Treadwell has shown less than Coleman. And pulling off the bandaid, cap wise, may be attractive to the Vikings.

I wouldn’t hate a 5th or 6th for him. At the very least, he plays the Justin Hunter goal line role. At best, he’s KB lite.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Is 13 catches for 130 yards really that hard to replace. And it isnt like he has been good since well ever. 

His best year was 2014 and that was 47 for 693. 

Corey Coleman has better number than that and has never played a full season. 

So again Andre Holmes is very very expendable 

I am not a big Holmes fan myself, but he plays specials so that gives him an edge.

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

It depends on how the Vikings feel about the guys behind him. I think Treadwell has shown less than Coleman. And pulling off the bandaid, cap wise, may be attractive to the Vikings.

I wouldn’t hate a 5th or 6th for him. At the very least, he plays the Justin Hunter goal line role. At best, he’s KB lite.

I’m with you. We can become Ellis Island for former 1st round WRs that need a change of scenery (Benjamin, Treadwell, Coleman). They are great cheap options.

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

Is it 5 or 6?

Right now the 5 seem pretty simple given the different abilities.

1. Benjamin

2. Coleman

3. Kerley

4. Jones

5. Holmes

And do they keep Ray Ray if there are 6?

Streeter will make this team, he’s been arguably the 2nd best WR all offseason.

hes your 6th, rookies go to PS that they want to keep unless they carry 7 and keep Ray Ray as a KR.