Khalil Mack holding out... in Buffalo

10 hours ago, Degenerate Mike in HHDS said:

Manish MehtaVerified account @MMehtaNYDN

BREAKING: #Jets reach out to Raiders to express interest in trading for disgruntled All-Pro Khalil Mack, per sources. NYJ is going big-game hunting. Story: http://buff.ly/2MIbYi7 

also read a report more than 12 teams have contacted the Raiders...Jets have not made an offer.....I'm sure many teams are interested

I like the way our guys have been drafting and NO WAY do I want to give up players, draft picks, AND that crazy amount of $$. Stick to the plan and see what you have on this team this year knowing that we are in great cap shape heading into 2019. Our defense is rising and the biggest hole that needs to be fixed is the Oline.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, bbb said:

I actually thought the same thing, and thought I definitely DON'T want the Bills doing that...............But, I also keep seeing Hughes name being thrown in and I don't think he's going to move the needle for the Raiders. 

I would go so far as to say that very few teams would trade even one first round pick for Mack.  Mack is a great player, but he is looking to become the highest paid non-qb in the league.  He turns 28 in February.  He’s got 2-3 more years of prime production, but he’s looking for a six-year deal.  My guess is that the only teams that would give up a first for him are teams that are likely to be picking near the end of the first round, such as GB.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I would go so far as to say that very few teams would trade even one first round pick for Mack.  

If it only took a 1st round pick to get the deal done, you make that trade in a second. 

Let's not put draft picks on a pedestal. What do you think the odds are that you'll find a perennial All Pro pass rusher in the 1st round? It's not that high. 

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

If it only took a 1st round pick to get the deal done, you make that trade in a second. 

Let's not put draft picks on a pedestal. What do you think the odds are that you'll find a perennial All Pro pass rusher in the 1st round? It's not that high. 

I’m not arguing with you.  I’m just telling you the way I think most GMs around the league are looking at it.  I’m pretty sure Beane, for example, would be very reluctant to trade next year’s 1 for Mack.  It could be a top ten pick in a draft that will be packed with blue chip d-linemen/edge rushers.  Those players will be 21-years old and will be relatively cheap, at least through 2022.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

I’m not arguing with you.  I’m just telling you the way I think most GMs around the league are looking at it.  I’m pretty sure Beane, for example, would be very reluctant to trade next year’s 1 for Mack.  It could be a top ten pick in a draft that will be packed with blue chip d-linemen/edge rushers.  Those players will be 21-years old and will be relatively cheap, at least through 2022.  

Productive players with accolades never come cheap, that's why they don't move. There are occasionally exceptions (ex. Marcus Peters for a 2019 2nd and a 4th, Jarvis Landry for a 2018 4th), but in general, you're going to put up some big currency to get them. 

Remember when there was chatter about OBJ getting moved? Giants wanted 2 1st rounders just to start the conversation. 

2 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Remember when there was chatter about OBJ getting moved? Giants wanted 2 1st rounders just to start the conversation. 

Yes, and that’s why ODB is still in New York.

Any team that’s going to give up a 1 for Mack is going to have to negotiate a big extension with him before they make that trade.  Oakland hasn’t been able to get a deal done with him, and it’s likely that other teams might have similar trouble too.  

11 hours ago, whatdrought said:

He woulda looked so good in 59. 

Just a waste. Grow up watching it one way and then they change it. It’s about as bad as recieveres completely abandoning the 80’s. I don’t mind teen # for WR, but why do none of them wear high numbers anymore?

Yep. I remember when they made the change. It was the year of Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams...

All wore number 11 and I was disgusted.

Guys these days like Mike Williams (7 in college and 81 in LA) or Amari Cooper (9 at Alabama and 89 in Oak) make me smile a little.

15 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yep. I remember when they made the change. It was the year of Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams...

All wore number 11 and I was disgusted.

Guys these days like Mike Williams (7 in college and 81 in LA) or Amari Cooper (9 at Alabama and 89 in Oak) make me smile a little.

Throwbacks. I don't mind the occasional teen number, it was fascinating for a while to see one sprinkled in. But the obsession with it now is ridiculous. I'm sure it'll swing back eventually. I suppose it's about trying to make a number famous, but eventually they'll run out of numbers. 

The linebackers in 40's bother me the most though. When I dreamed of playing in the NFL I never dreamed of being a QB. I was always going to be a linebacker. Charging in the middle and layin the business on guys while sporting my #55. As it should be. Seeing a linebacker wearing 47, or 49 just makes them look like confused safeties. 

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Throwbacks. I don't mind the occasional teen number, it was fascinating for a while to see one sprinkled in. But the obsession with it now is ridiculous. I'm sure it'll swing back eventually. I suppose it's about trying to make a number famous, but eventually they'll run out of numbers. 

The linebackers in 40's bother me the most though. When I dreamed of playing in the NFL I never dreamed of being a QB. I was always going to be a linebacker. Charging in the middle and layin the business on guys while sporting my #55. As it should be. Seeing a linebacker wearing 47, or 49 just makes them look like confused safeties. 

When I saw Vic Beasley rock 44 I knew this was a bad idea.

I also loved Haasan Reddick coming out...when he wore 43 in Arizona I just stopped caring about him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

When I saw Vic Beasley rock 44 I knew this was a bad idea.

I also loved Haasan Reddick coming out...when he wore 43 in Arizona I just stopped caring about him.

Kiko Alonso was so cool to me and now he looks like an A$$ hat. (the dolphins uniform doesn't help). 

And now to be betrayed by our own guy, who was my favorite player in the whole draft. Shameful. He grew up 30 minutes from where I live, maybe I can find his family and bribe them to make him change to 56 or 59. 

Also, while we're on the topic of Numbers, I don't like 17 for a QB. The first time I remember seeing it was Osweiler and I was intrigued. He was a big tall guy who didn't look bad in the number. Maybe it would work. Then he ruined it. So now seeing Allen in 17 isn't great. Maybe he will redeem it. 

Edited by whatdrought

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Kiko Alonso was so cool to me and now he looks like an A$$ hat. (the dolphins uniform doesn't help). 

And now to be betrayed by our own guy, who was my favorite player in the whole draft. Shameful. He grew up 30 minutes from where I live, maybe I can find his family and bribe them to make him change to 56 or 59. 

Also, while we're on the topic of Numbers, I don't like 17 for a QB. The first time I remember seeing it was Osweiler and I was intrigued. He was a big tall guy who didn't look bad in the number. Maybe it would work. Then he ruined it. So now seeing Allen in 17 isn't great. Maybe he will redeem it. 

47 on Oregon suited him. As a PNWest’er I saw Alonso tons. 

17 on a QB doesn’t bother me. I think Rivers made it cool. I grew up watching guys like Dave Krieg and Steve DeBerg wear it and it was meh.

Bills need a new QB number and 17 is new blood.

The WORST number in sports is 13. In any sport. For any position.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

When did the NFL change the rule that certain positions get certain sets of numbers, etc?

42 minutes ago, bbb said:

When did the NFL change the rule that certain positions get certain sets of numbers, etc?

They still have certain rules, but they have opened certain groups of numbers to positions that used to not be allowed to have them. 

Back in the early 2000's they started allowing WR's to wear teens, probably due to teams running out of #'s for TE's and WR's. 

Then a couple years ago they let LB's start wearing 40's.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

The Bills already have their "franchise" QB. You give up next year's 1st, I don't care where it is, and get your "franchise" pass rusher!! Allen, Mack= Kelly, Biscuit.

Keep an eye on Corey Thompson jersey number?

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Not sure what, if anything this source is worth, but interesting to note that he's saying that Mack is actually on the Block...

That article is right that Jets will find it difficult to swing a trade after paying a princely sum of draft picks for Darnold. But the article is incorrect in limiting ability to trade to just four teams implying it is hard for a team with less than 8 mill 2018 cap space to sign him. Actually quite a few teams including Da Bills can swing a trade by making rather easy adjustments.

I still feel it is between the Packers Pats and us if a trade does happen. Thanks to low expectations, our first rounder is likely to be the most valuable and our second may be close to the Pats' first.

Maybe a 2nd and 3rd from 2019 + Hughes can swing it. 

20 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

That article is right that Jets will find it difficult to swing a trade after paying a princely sum of draft picks for Darnold. But the article is incorrect in limiting ability to trade to just four teams implying it is hard for a team with less than 8 mill 2018 cap space to sign him. Actually quite a few teams including Da Bills can swing a trade by making rather easy adjustments.

I still feel it is between the Packers Pats and us if a trade does happen. Thanks to low expectations, our first rounder is likely to be the most valuable and our second may be close to the Pats' first.

If Gruden trades Mack in the AFC he is a complete moron.   The goal in the NFL should be the super bowl, you dont trade your best player to a team that could potentially keep you out of it year in and year out.  

25 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

This. Packers pick is likely to be in the high twenties, ours could be top 12. 

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

When answering this my question is were the bills brass going to use their 1st round pick next year on a pass rusher.....

If the answer to that is yes......then

1st rounder next year

Shaq Lawson

3rd rounder next year

1st round picks have too much value. 5 years of control for minimal money. If I’m parting ways with my first pick, I’m keeping all the other picks. 

This is so tempting.  We'll have the money next year, but will lose some assets.  Having Mack would put this Defense in top 5 (my opinion).  It would cost us at least a 1st, plus other picks/or player(s).  My question is if we lose top pick (s) next year, what top free agents at OL and WR are available?  

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Come to Buffalo Khalil!

It worked for Takeo Spikes.  Chant with me- "KHALIL MACK!  KHALIL MACK!"

True story, I met Takeo a few years ago and naturally had to let him know I'm a yuge Bills fan and that he's an all-time favorite.  

He said (something like) "I loved Buffalo!  I'll never forget going there as an upcoming FA Bengal and everyone in the crowd was cheering for me, telling me to come there.  I was like 'Hell yeah, Buffalo's for me!'".  

Pretty cool.  And yeah, he's still big as hell!

• Like (+1) 3

No chance, no chance at all this regime spends all that $$ and the assets needed to make this happen. It would be a terrible maneuver before we find out what this team is all about. If Allen was already a proven franchise QB, I would look at this differently. If Allen fails and they make this deal, do you realize the permanent hell this team would be stuck in?

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

When answering this my question is were the bills brass going to use their 1st round pick next year on a pass rusher.....

If the answer to that is yes......then

1st rounder next year

Shaq Lawson

3rd rounder next year

I like your idea. However with the exception of this years Draft with a QB being 1st priority, Idk if  this regime would ever go into a Draft looking at 1 position over all others. From what i gather they evaluate based on best player available. So it'd be hard to forecast what their desire next Draft would be. It just stinks that we invested good money into Trent (often injured) Murphy. If we can somehow work out the contracts side of things then I'd say lets go for it. Do you trade Lawson who has a better contract & who is younger or do you trade Hughes who is the better player but commands a higher salary? Hughes is also a UFA in 2020 & being over 30 you'd have to wonder when his productivity drops because of it... (or has it already?). I like Hughes but i dont think it'd be a tough choice saying Mack > Hughes. I would prefer keeping Hughes but long term big picture, maybe moving Jerry makes sense in this scenario

18 minutes ago, Heitz said:

True story, I met Takeo a few years ago and naturally had to let him know I'm a yuge Bills fan and that he's an all-time favorite.  

He said (something like) "I loved Buffalo!  I'll never forget going there as an upcoming FA Bengal and everyone in the crowd was cheering for me, telling me to come there.  I was like 'Hell yeah, Buffalo's for me!'".  

Pretty cool.  And yeah, he's still big as hell!

Takeo is like a forgotten Bill. He was such fun to watch, and one of my favorite all time players.

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

No chance, no chance at all this regime spends all that $$ and the assets needed to make this happen. It would be a terrible maneuver before we find out what this team is all about. If Allen was already a proven franchise QB, I would look at this differently. If Allen fails and they make this deal, do you realize the permanent hell this team would be stuck in?

I see your points but if Allen fails the Bills will have to look to the draft again.

If Allen succeeds and they had an All Pro pass rusher they could be a perennial Division leader.

It's Beane's call and it's fun to think about.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Come to Buffalo Khalil!

It worked for Takeo Spikes.  Chant with me- "KHALIL MACK!  KHALIL MACK!"

its fun to ponder, but my gut says Beane has a plan in place and giving up a boat load of picks and paying out such a large contract is not part of his long term plan.

But what do I know... he could be calling the Raiders right now

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

its fun to ponder, but my gut says Beane has a plan in place and giving up a boat load of picks and paying out such a large contract is not part of his long term plan.

But what do I know... he could be calling the Raiders right now

To be honest i'd be mad if Beane didn't make a call. I'd think any competent GM would at least see what the Raiders would want... I'd hope at least he'd do his due diligence.. I'm sure Beane has

Just now, brianthomas said:

To be honest i'd be mad if Beane didn't make a call. I'd think any competent GM would at least see what the Raiders would want... I'd hope at least he'd do his due diligence.. I'm sure Beane has

IMO its not all about what the raiders want its just as much about the size of the contract... Beane seems to have a financial plan in place.

but if they plan spending money in FA next year then maybe you move that money over to Mack.  

We should hear something of a buzz within the next 24 hours if the Bills are inquiring IMO

35 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I see your points but if Allen fails the Bills will have to look to the draft again.

If Allen succeeds and they had an All Pro pass rusher they could be a perennial Division leader.

It's Beane's call and it's fun to think about.

Excellent points per usual, my good man! YE OLE is channeling that Mark Morrison vibe that we may indeed have a “Return of the Mack” situation going down here in Buffalo. 

At some point you have to take your shot... and certain positions are worth a premium. If McBeane’s Mean Machine can land a franchise QB and a superstar pass rusher the AFC landscape will be significantly tilted in our favor. If it works out there won’t be another season for many years where the Bills won’t be a SB Contender. If it doesn’t work out... who cares? We’ll be in the same boat we’re in now. Like a Josh Allen 40 yard laser through the tightest of windows, McBeane should let it rip and go all in on this.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1