Erie County Executive concerned about fan behavior

8 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

So peewee football doesn’t exist?

And your age limit pretty much proved my point, your considered old past your thirties in the NFL, the NFL is nothing but grown men yes, but they are young men and are playing a game they played when they were in single digits in age. 

By this logic, being a stockbroker or politician is a kids job because they can join DECA or Model UN in High School?  

Edited by stony

Just now, stony said:

By this logic, being a stockbroker or politician is a kids job they can join DECA or Model UN in High School?  

If I get paid to play chutes in ladders with a bunch of other guys in their 20’s and 30’s in a highly competitive environment does chutes and ladders stop being a kids game? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Pretty sad day for our civil liberties when a few bad apples prompts even more government intervention into our lives. Taking in a ball game should be a privilege, and only afforded to those who care to be respectful & responsible during their attendance. Educate everyone proactively about the importance of being respectful & responsible, and weed out those who choose to be irresponsible and disrespectful. Young children in attendance deserve better role models, and besides our region should be remembered long after the game clock expires for positive attributes as oppose to earning the title of worse fans ever. WNY doesn't need that kind of negativity.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

In Europe they stab each other over soccer. I would keep the problem of drunk teenagers ten days out of the year in perspective.

This is the same group that eats tide pods. 

Some viral videos make Bills fans look a little crazy, but even some other cities in the US are terrifying to attend a game.  I would never go to Oakland, SF or Philly for any sporting event.

2 minutes ago, QB12 said:

Pretty sad day for our civil liberties when a few bad apples prompts even more government intervention into our lives. Taking in a ball game should be a privilege, and only afforded to those who care to be respectful & responsible during their attendance. Educate everyone proactively about the importance of being respectful & responsible, and weed out those who choose to be irresponsible and disrespectful. Young children in attendance deserve better role models, and besides our region should be remembered long after the game clock expires for positive attributes as oppose to earning the title of worse fans ever. WNY doesn't need that kind of negativity.

This guy gets it. I applaud you, sir.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

If I get paid to play chutes in ladders with a bunch of other guys in their 20’s and 30’s in a highly competitive environment does chutes and ladders stop being a kids game? 

Yes Chutes and Ladders was invented for kids.  Football was not. 

Edited by stony

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like Poloncarz but they say this every year and every year I have the same response:

"Put out a real, winning football team, and a lot of the bad behavior will go away as true fans of the game come back".

Really??  It's the true fans that only come around when they are winning?  I think you're confusing true fans with bandwagon fans.  I'm not saying there isn't a certain element at games to just get wasted but if you're only supporting a team when they are good you are a crap fan.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, stony said:

Yes Chutes and Ladders was invented for kids.  Football was not. 

Thats a good point, 

I just always associated football as a kids game because of backyard football when I was 10, or a kid receiving a football for a Christmas present. 

But it thinking it through, I also had an archery set and .22 when I was 12 and those things are not really for kids either.

49 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

Challenge accepted.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

"The Bills are working with Erie County and New York State on millions of dollars in upgrades to help improve fan safety. "

Well this I don't like one bit. Not only are you not going to stop the random acts of stupidity on private property, I surely hope you aren't going to cost the taxpayers millions trying to protect people from themselves.

Government spends billions protecting people from themselves. Another such waste wouldn’t surprise me in the least. 

7 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Government spends billions protecting people from themselves. Another such waste wouldn’t surprise me in the least. 

...brilliant!...you nailed it....deploy the TSA in EVERY parking lot....could NEVER be safer than that...............

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

There are a few ways they could fix this problem without ruining the fun for everyone...

- Be much more aggressive at making arrests for drunk and disorderly conduct.  The postgame police blotter usually has what, 20 to 30 people arrested after a game?  That seems fairly low to me.

- Have the Bills fund a significantly larger police presence in the parking lots and surrounding streets.  Bring in off duty officers from other jurisdictions like Rochester if you have to.

- Require all private parking lots to apply for a free permit.  Place a zero tolerance policy on fan misbehavior and if any officer gets a complaint about inappropriate behavior from a source other than the lot or its owners, revoke the lot's permit for the remainder of the season AND the following season.

It's not exactly rocket science.  This goes on because the law isn't enforced and the consequences aren't severe enough.  Enforce the law, put teeth in them, and these problems solve themselves.

Charge/fine private lot owners for any additional police or emergency calls.  Might make them monitor behavior in their lots a little better.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

:lol: you'll never see me powerbomb a table. but then again, i'm not a windowlicker.

However, I'll defend the right of windowlickers to powerbomb tables everyday.

Can they be asked to show proof of means to pay for their own medical treatment/rehab/disability first, so they don't raise health insurance rates and taxes for the rest of us?

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can they be asked to show proof of means to pay for their own medical treatment/rehab/disability first, so they don't raise health insurance rates and taxes for the rest of us?

I know plenty of these Bills Mafia clowns, don’t worry, their upper middle class parents are footing those bills. Their moms probably even send them some chicken noodle soup down to the basement while they recover. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5
  • Haha (+1) 1

Bills use raised observation tower to look over the Bills parking lot. Bus lot.  

Lot of problems in Bills lots also.  

I can remember back in the early 90s watching people run out of a box truck on to a burning couch 

people been stupid a long time.  

2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Really??  It's the true fans that only come around when they are winning?  I think you're confusing true fans with bandwagon fans.  I'm not saying there isn't a certain element at games to just get wasted but if you're only supporting a team when they are good you are a crap fan.

That's not what I said. Go back and read. Or read the posts immediately below which explain it, if you need help.

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Bills use raised observation tower to look over the Bills parking lot. Bus lot.  

Lot of problems in Bills lots also.  

I can remember back in the early 90s watching people run out of a box truck on to a burning couch 

people been stupid a long time.  

More proof you can’t fix stupid 

I have people from my work out in Albany trying to get me to bring them to games the last couples years as they want to experience this so called craziness or "Bills Mafia" from this die hard fan base.

These are fans from teams all around the league.

I'm not saying it's right but it def says something. There is appreciation out there for our die hard nutty fan base.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Indestructible folding tables would be a very counter-productive move.  That's fundamental physics.

All of the crash tests and engineering that have improved automobile crash survival and reduced injuries in recent decades play off this by designing materials to crumple and thus absorb energy to reduce the force on the car occupants.  It's not as cute as that airbag ad where the girl holds up the deflated airbag and says "I survived!", but we could film an ad where I hold up the L rear pax door of my kid's totalled Civic and say "I Survived!" just as honestly because DAMN did those engineers nail it.

So if they want to improve fan safety, indestructible tables would be counter-productive.  They should engineer tables to crumple in multiple spots, not just break at one place.  Or maybe with airbags underneath them.

Sorry, sorry, sometimes my inner nerd just can't resist.

This is where we diverge. Because you are not looking into the deeper aspects of the act. if the table wins the contest again and again. The Opponent will be overwhelmed with the feeling of defeat. As others cannot defeat The Table , a general malaise will fall across the private lots.
and for that. One season of more mellow/sallow table crashers who admit defeat and wallow in introspection till December.
By then they will have a new Model of Celebration via Defiance.
Let the Table give the Crashers a fair Fight for one season. Lets see what the Crashers are truly made of

did i wander off a bit ?
 0:)

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

I've been to a million games home and away and I've never seen anything like it. Jax security did nothing either- basically just let the Bills fans go Mad Max in our own parking lot. If they die, they die. 

In JAX stadium they have cameras.  My Bro got a young lady (Jax fan) to raise her top.  My brother was standing in the Mezzanine/patio @ endzone area egging her on... She was sitting in corner seats below patio. She finally acquiesced & raised her top, security swooped right in.  They booted her from the game.  My brother felt guilty and left with her.  Now that's how you attempt to pick up chicks in the 21st century. "Hook up by security."

Oh yeah... My bro is 54.  Thinks he is still 19.  Hitting on gals his daughter's age. :lol: 

Boy... The Bible Belt sucks! Well, sorta.

"Improve fan safety" is code for more rules, more cops/sec guards, and oodles of lot restrictions. Surely it will mean an end to fire pits, table jumping, etc. They already mosie around like mounties harassing folks about where they are parked or what substances they choose to abuse that day.

They have already bleached the stands, you can't even stand up anymore, let alone treat visitors like trash. Now the lots? Booooooo

Those who trade freedom for security deserve neither.

• Haha (+1) 1

!@#$ these loser politicians.

I’m concerned this Dbag is taking all of our tax dollars and giving it to NYC while Buffalo rots... 

Let us have our fun, it is really all we got. 

Edited by Carter
  • Like (+1) 1

If anything I find that the rowdiness has progressively gotten under better control. When I first started going to games there were endless fights in the stands. I haven't seen one of those in awhile. Sooner or later the crowds will sort themselves out. The hardcore boozers (of which I was one) will congregate offsite and the family values crowd will go to a security controlled area. 

I don't trivialize the fact that people have died at our games

https://www.orchardparkbee.com/news/2012-11-22/Front_Page/Man_26_drowns_after_ejection_from_Bills_game.html

If the crackdown is too hard, we'll lose something very special. Some of my fondest memories are at the Ralph

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

I've been to a million games home and away and I've never seen anything like it. Jax security did nothing either- basically just let the Bills fans go Mad Max in our own parking lot. If they die, they die. 

It really was something else wasn’t it? The X lot was pure insanity, but in a good way. One of my favorite times at a Bills game in spite of the eventual result. The pure excitement and anticipation of seeing something many of us didn’t know if we’d ever see again was just a cool experience. Game was a dud, but we were in it and the weekend as a whole was worth every penny. Met a lot of great Bills fans that weekend from all over the country. I could get used to meaningful games again!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Commsvet11 said:

It's not worth making your point to these people. I don't even know why they are arguing it like they are offended. 

"Kids game? I don't watch a kids game, these are grown men. Tough and masculinity, earn every inch! I'm watching war out there in the trenches every Sunday"

It's just a dumb game people, get a grip. Basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, golf, are all just games at the end of the day.

Comparing it to cops, and politicians because people played tag as a child or engaged in academic pursuits as a kid is just stupid. The point is the stadium and the game don't need to be treated with such sanctimony. It's a distorted view of reality and values of what's important.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

!@#$ these loser politicians.

I’m concerned this Dbag is taking all of our tax dollars and giving it to NYC while Buffalo rots... 

Let us have our fun, it is really all we got. 

That's pretty sad.

39 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

It's not worth making your point to these people. I don't even know why they are arguing it like they are offended. 

"Kids game? I don't watch a kids game, these are grown men. Tough and masculinity, earn every inch! I'm watching war out there in the trenches every Sunday"

It's just a dumb game people, get a grip. Basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, golf, are all just games at the end of the day.

Comparing it to cops, and politicians because people played tag as a child or engaged in academic pursuits as a kid is just stupid. The point is the stadium and the game don't need to be treated with such sanctimony. It's a distorted view of reality and values of what's important.

That's pretty sad.

The poster had a good point that football wasn’t invented for children, I see their point and it makes sense. 

We we have adopted it as part of our culture, and their view is children play football as they would playing doctor. 

To some people football is more than a game and I can respect that view.

I also get the annoyance of drunk  rowdy fans, but rowdy fans are part of the live game experience, Could you imagine watching a steeler game without seeing those terrible towels? 

One big reason I gave up my season tickets was for the guy who was let into the stadium while being so drunk one friend was holding him by the back of the shirt near his neck and another had their arm around him. Security let him into the game and he proceeded to try and put his hands on my wife and also fell down sideways during the National Anthem.  If there are idiots who think jumping through tables is cool, go to a private lot and do it and I hope the table wins.  I don't see the point to doing it but whatever. Also, it's not a right to have tickets to go to the game and make a fool out of yourself.  You can have them taken away.  People seem to forget that, yes it's an event and there's nothing wrong with having some drinks and being around friends and other fans, but really be an adult and know when to not act like a fool.

• Like (+1) 1

People need to stop worrying about the tailgaters.

If they wanna dive through a table let them. Jesus christ. Besides.....the majority of people seem to enjoy the reckless videos. 

You can think these guys are embarrassing and give Bills fans a bad name. Youre wrong. These nutjobs and their videos are why the outside world think the Bills have the best fans in the country. 

When you hear anyone in the media say the Bills have the best fans in the country...its not because you bought your season tickets for the 12th year straight.

I do understand the concern inside the stadium though. We cant have drunk fans falling off the 2nd level and fighting. Outside...do whatever you want. Inside...sure if you get reckless. There will be consequences.