Josh Allen - Game Film Links

Domdab99

46 minutes ago, Logic said:

A thought just occurred to me that's kind of interesting:

Our first round picks, Allen and Edmunds, are both extremely young and raw in the game, but both have elite (like...possibly among the greatest of all time at their position) physical ability. Both of them have boom or bust potential. If both of them boom, though? The Bills could get pretty good pretty fast.

That's usually the way it works when drafted players boom.   Look at the Cowboys with Elliott and Prescott.  When you hit on impact player the payoff is almost instant.   God I hope they hit on Allen and Edmunds.  

6 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

Great post!! Did you see him at the senior Bowl?? Highly recommend watching. He looks like a star when paired with playmakers on offense and an offensive line that can withstand pressure for more than 2 seconds 

Both second half TDs were beautiful.   But with no blitzing and little defensive game planning, he must have felt like he was dreaming...

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Allen was Wyoming's offense, he carried them on his back. In Buffalo he is going to be asked to do next to nothing. We made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor throwing for 2,800 yards and 14 TDs, all Allen has to do is throw for 20 TDs and limit turnovers and we should make the playoffs 2 years in a row.

We should have a strong defense and Allen has a way better supporting cast than he's ever had in his entire life. He's never had a running back like LeSean McCoy or receivers like Charles Clay and Kelvin Benjamin. Fans say our talent on offense is weak but to Allen this is like waking up on Christmas morning and gifts under his tree, he has never had this much talent to work with at any point in his career from the time he played in peewee through high school and college until now, he is gushing right now.

I don't think it would wise to start Allen at all this year.  He needs to learn the NFL game better.  He has all the tools and smarts to do just that but I feel rushing him won't help.  

Just now, Mark92 said:

I don't think it would wise to start Allen at all this year.  He needs to learn the NFL game better.  He has all the tools and smarts to do just that but I feel rushing him won't help.  

He understands the game, very smart player, but I agree for different reasons. I'd start McCarron until Allen settles down emotionally. Let the euphoria of being the #7 overall pick settle down a little, let the pressure settle down a bit. I think if you start McCarron there's a good chance we see Allen by week 7, 8 or 9. I'd rather do it that way because if Allen starts week 1 and goes through growing pains, fans are going to start grumbling for McCarron to start and then we have a QB controversy. Start McCarron, let him fall on his face, insert Allen and let him be our savior.

15 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

Great post!! Did you see him at the senior Bowl?? Highly recommend watching. He looks like a star when paired with playmakers on offense and an offensive line that can withstand pressure for more than 2 seconds 

Fair enough, but lets hope that he gets to sit a year. He certainly won’t be surrounded by playmakers or a line here either. 

He plays a lot of hero ball, which has killed his statistics. He probably thought he needed to do that because of Wyoming's disadvantages. But he can't do that in the NFL. He'll quickly play his way out of the league if he lacks the proper amount of wisdom.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for posting!

+ Great feet

+ Ability to shed would-be sackers

+ Ability to throw on the run going left or right

+ Ability to throw accurately while off-balance

+ Can play under center or in shot-gun

- Maddening in-accuracy on deep throws and simple swing passes

- A couple "Bad" interceptions, where he just seemed to not see defenders - including an interception on a screen pass

- Did not anticipate pressure to be ready with a "check-down" option

Should be an interesting couple next years!  I really hope he develops, because there is obviously something to this kid.

Watched the first two videos...I foresee a lot of "Don't take the sack!  Get rid of it!  There's an open man down field!" complaining on this board in the near future.

Which is not really a bold prediction - half the morons here who make that complaint probably make it on kickoffs, field goals, and NHL overtime shootouts too.  But Allen is going to generate a lot of it.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He plays a lot of hero ball, which has killed his statistics. He probably thought he needed to do that because of Wyoming's disadvantages. But he can't do that in the NFL. He'll quickly play his way out of the league if he lacks the proper amount of wisdom.

"Hero ball."  Good term for it.  

• Like (+1) 2

After watching all those games, my comments are:

- Very few easy throws close to or behind the line of scrimmage

- He had a ton of throws under pressure.

- Great throws on the run

- He "earned" his completion % - no cheap completions. 

- Needs to improve his touch on swing passes. 

- He reads the field

- Took lots of snaps under center

- He's very eager to tackle after throwing an interception. 

- Agree with Ojabba - crazy good feet, makes people miss in the back field and in the open field. Deceptively quick. 

I think this is going to be a fun ride in the future, 

Edited by Andy1
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OJABBA said:

I have seen this game pointed to as proof that he sucks. He is playing pretty damn good, but at the end of the game, the score is way out of hand, and he is forcing throws. He opens the game with a long string of completions. I'm not sure Tyrod has ever completed that many passes in a row on one drive.

I felt the same way about the Boise game. I was yelling Rosen at the tv right before we picked Allen, but after watching some of his "bad" games I actually came away impressed with Allen. His supporting cast (specifically OL and WR) was just awful. The guy put them on his back every week and it definitely affected his stats.

44 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If you were looking to like him, there were a lot of plays to love about him. And a bunch of poor ones. His line and receivers were awful though.

By the end of the game, Allen was running for his life on every play.  Let’s remember—this is Wyoming, on the road in Lincoln.  Huge talent mismatch and a very tough environment.

it's clear that Wyoming has no business being on the same field as division 1 talent. His stats suffered because his life was in danger on half those plays. I notice he throws much better to his right that to his left. He can really make things happen on broken plays. That 4th and 12 play vs Nebraska before the first half was epic

• Like (+1) 1

I admit I didn't watch a lot of allen prior to being drafted. I watched the same games after he was picked. They said he was inaccurate and I was expecting to see ej Manuel level of inaccuracy.  In all the games about 10 he had about 4-5 throws which were horrible - no excuses....and about 5-6 that were ill advised. Oddly quite of few were very short throws screens and wr screens. Overall I thought he was fairly accurate for the most part especially in the middle of the field. 

You can't see the coverage in these but a lot of the incompletions were due to his line where he was running for his life forced to scramble right. it looked like most the time he was in essence throwing the ball away as he had only a couple receivers on that side of the field and they were well covered well.

Overall I saw a guy with a bad line and weak Wr group that needs better footwork but was not a train wreck. I would like to see him with  more skilled players (yes I know the Bills offense is not overly skilled but they are still professionals ). I think some of his accuracy issues were due to trying to do too much. 

Time will tell... He certainly isn't polished but I am not as worried as most. 

50 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

I've watched his senior bowl highlights 10 times. You can almost sense his relief as the game goes on. It's like he's thinking, "wow, this is what it's like to have help"!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Just finished watching these edited game tapes with every Allen play on them:

Okay, I'm an analytics guy. I believe in the numbers and think that the Bills would definitely benefit from having a HC who acts a little like the Eagles' HC - going for it on 4th down more often, etc. Anyone who remembers my ranting after the Colts snow game this year, will attest to my love of modern football though. 

When it cane to this year's draft, we obviously wanted to go for a franchise QB - but Allen was my 5th QB. All of this based solely on the numbers. I didn't see much of all of the QBs beyond highlight reels, and Allen's stats just screamed "bust" to me. The completion %, the AYA, etc...there was just no way his admittedly impressive skill set could translate to the NFL with those numbers. And I let you guys know it - not with just one, but two threads saying Josh Allen will be a huge bust. 

Well, I like to think I'm man enough if I discover I'm wrong about something, and I think I'm wrong about Josh Allen. 

After going through these game tapes, listening to Dilfer, Palmer, etc., seeing Allen's life-story and what kind of man he is...I've to to say, I'm really excited about having Allen as the Bill's QB. The kid is amazing.

Some things I've seen over the last few days of study:

• Allen can obviously make any throw on the field.
  • His misses are almost always in a place where the defense cannot make a play on the ball.
  • His accuracy issues are inflated. According to the stats, Wyoming only dropped 6 passes all year - well, look at the game film - I can pick out at least 6 times A GAME that his receivers drop the damn ball - or are too damn slow to catch up to a well-thrown ball. 
  • His supporting cast was woefully slow and unimpressive. We know Allen has one of the quickest releases ever seen, yet he has to often wait for his receivers to get open before throwing the ball - putting him in more danger of being hit/sacked and/or throwing it into a crowd. 
  • HI OL was a freakin' sieve, he rarely had a clean pocket and was often running around trying to make something happen. 
  • His feet are INCREDIBLE. I'm not talking about his well-documented issues with footwork while passing - I'm talking about his ability to get out of trouble and gain yardage when there is none to be found. Just amazing athletic ability. And he had to use that ability a lot.
  • Sure, he air-mails a few here and there, but what QB doesn't? And he doesn't seem quite comfortable throwing swing passes, but that'll come. 

What I noticed more than anything was that Wyoming had ONE real player on the field - and that was obviously Allen. The running game was practically non-existent. Allen was the whole offense. 

Watch the Iowa game - the one BIG COLLEGE opponent they play. Wyoming is out-classed. But Allen is fine. He throws the ball where it's supposed to go, but gets no help from his teammates. they are slow and not as strong as Iowa, so they get swallowed up. 

Watch Texas State at 2:35 - he lofts a perfect ball to James Brice, but Brice can't catch up to the ball - he's not fast enough. It's like Allen has to hold back to get the ball to his guys sometimes. 

So what am I taking from all this? I also went back and looked at some of Carson Wentz's college games. I don't see much of a difference. While Allen is not quite the physical speciman Cam Newton is, it is obvious he has a much better arm and much better touch on the ball. 

Numbers don't lie. But they sometimes aren't the whole story. 

I was wrong.

And I cannot wait to see Josh Allen in a Bill's uniform. 

Nice post, thanks for the evaluation too.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Yikes. I’m trying to sell myself on the pick too but complete 180 before even training camp? Idk... 

Give it some time. You don’t have to buy his jersey right away. 

LOL!

1) I’m not saying he’s the 2nd coming of Saint Jim Kelly, I’m just saying I was wrong to be so down on him. He still has to prove it on the field. Kid could still be a bust, tho.

2) I don’t buy shirts with other men’s Names on them. At least, not since I was 12. 

Edited by Domdab99

The complete sale job is starting... I'm screenshooting this post for later... man at least wait for training camp. I'd rather someone sale me on McCarron or Peterman right about now

3 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

The complete sale job is starting... I'm screenshooting this post for later... man at least wait for training camp. I'd rather someone sale me on McCarron or Peterman right about now

No you wouldn't  That's a road to the same mediocrity we've know at QB for 22 years. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

No you wouldn't  That's a road to the same mediocrity we've know at QB for 22 years. 

True! Lol... I just don't believe in this kid. I hope I'm wrong... if I'm wrong that's a good thing. But he just screams out EJ, Locker, JP Losman, Gabbert...

Just now, Scorp83 said:

True! Lol... I just don't believe in this kid. I hope I'm wrong... if I'm wrong that's a good thing. But he just screams out EJ, Locker, JP Losman, Gabbert...

At least they took a swing on the guy's tremendous upside with him as the classic boom or bust prospect.  Better than retreads and marginal prospects. 

1 hour ago, elltrain22 said:

Here it is, in case it hasn't already been posted.  Pretty impressive.

Edited by Buffalo86

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Would this still be the case if he was drafted by the Jets?

lol, no, I'd still be standing by my original opinion of him and would be LOLing at the Jets, but then, I wouldn't have gone back and looked at these videos or did other research on him.

Plus, it's the Jets. No way that team could bring Allen along like the Bills could. 

2 hours ago, OJABBA said:

I have seen this game pointed to as proof that he sucks. He is playing pretty damn good, but at the end of the game, the score is way out of hand, and he is forcing throws. He opens the game with a long string of completions. I'm not sure Tyrod has ever completed that many passes in a row on one drive.

Wow, you can really see his skill set in this game. He’s got great foot movement,slides around in the pocket and will throw it away when he has to.

You can see how outclassed his team was in this game and likely most games. If he gets any time in the pocket he’s going to be great,IMO.

26 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

It's funny that you mentioned those specific four guys. All four of them seemed to have lacked a true self confidence in their ability. From all of the interviews I've seen these recent days, Allen seems have a genuine self confidence about himself and his abilities as a QB. If you were building a franchise QB, that would be far up there in the "must have" traits. You can't fake something like that at the NFL level.

Edited by 1billsfan

Those of you complaining about some of the bad INTs. yeah, he's not perfect. That much is clear. No QB is. But he's young, passionate about getting better, and now has first-rate coaching and talent behind him. I like his chances. 

3 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Okay, I'm an analytics guy. I believe in the numbers and think that the Bills would definitely benefit from having a HC who acts a little like the Eagles' HC - going for it on 4th down more often, etc. Anyone who remembers my ranting after the Colts snow game this year, will attest to my love of modern football, though. 

When it came to this year's draft, we obviously wanted to go for a franchise QB - but Allen was my 5th QB. All of this based solely on the numbers. I didn't see much of all of the QBs beyond highlight reels, and Allen's stats just screamed "bust" to me. The completion %, the AYA, etc...there was just no way his admittedly impressive skill set could translate to the NFL with those numbers. And I let you guys know it - not with just one, but two threads saying Josh Allen will be a huge bust. 

Well, I like to think I'm man enough if I discover I'm wrong about something, and I think I'm wrong about Josh Allen. 

After going through these game tapes, listening to Dilfer, Palmer, etc., seeing Allen's life-story and what kind of man he is...I've to to say, I'm really excited about having Allen as the Bill's QB. The kid is amazing.

• His misses are almost always in a place where the defense cannot make a play on the ball.
  • His accuracy issues are inflated. According to the stats, Wyoming only dropped 6 passes all year - well, look at the game film - I can pick out at least 6 times A GAME that his receivers drop the damn ball - or are too damn slow to catch up to a well-thrown ball. 
  • His supporting cast was woefully slow and unimpressive. We know Allen has one of the quickest releases ever seen, yet he has to often wait for his receivers to get open before throwing the ball - putting him in more danger of being hit/sacked and/or throwing it into a crowd. 
  • His OL was a freakin' sieve; he rarely had a clean pocket and was often running around trying to make something happen. 
  • His feet are INCREDIBLE. I'm not talking about his well-documented issues with footwork while passing - I'm talking about his ability to get out of trouble and gain yardage when there is none to be found. Just amazing athletic ability. And he had to use that ability a lot.
  • Sure, he air-mails a few here and there, but what QB doesn't? And he doesn't seem quite comfortable throwing swing passes, but that'll come. 

What I noticed more than anything was that Wyoming had ONE real player on the field - and that was obviously Allen. The running game was practically non-existent. Allen was the whole offense. 

Watch the Iowa game - the one BIG COLLEGE opponent they play. Wyoming is out-classed. But Allen is fine. He throws the ball where it's supposed to go, but gets no help from his teammates. they are slow and not as strong as Iowa, so they get swallowed up. 

Watch Texas State at 2:35 - he lofts a perfect ball to James Brice, but Brice can't catch up to the ball - he's not fast enough. It's like Allen has to hold back to get the ball to his guys sometimes. 

So what am I taking from all this? I also went back and looked at some of Carson Wentz's college games. I don't see much of a difference. While Allen is not quite the physical speciman Cam Newton is, it is obvious he has a much better arm and much better touch on the ball. 

I was wrong. I mean, the kid still needs to prove it and he can still be a bust.

But I cannot wait to see Josh Allen in a Bill's uniform. 

Really awesomely well said. I feel about the exact same way.

Analytics hate him and say he's destined to be a bust. There's really no denying that. Gotta go back almost 4 decades to find a successful case study with the broad similarities to Allen.

All I've been doing since seeing we drafted him was looking at whatever I could find on YouTube.

The kid himself is driven and is going to have a chip on his shoulder for the rest of his life, most likely. Talk about a late bloomer... guess the main reasons he wasn't recruited was that he played somewhere no one from college really recruited and he was considered "small" (6'0 and 180 lbs by one account) up at least til his Junior year in HS. So he's been working his @$$ off ever since. 

Apparently his recall is fantastic,too, and he was excellent at the whiteboard with NFL teams

So my other worry of him being in an NFL offense like Wentz was but not really understanding it goes a little out the window.

Right there with you :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Look at some of his game tape. He’s much more poised and polished. He throws a great ball and has great feet, both in and out of the pocket.  This kid is way better than your above referenced clowns. He’s athletic.

I threw **** (not literally)at my TV when we drafted Losman, I threw a bottle of beer at my nephews TV when we drafted Manuel (literally).

I deferred throwing anything this year because I truly didn’t know much about Allen.

He took a lot of hits to make plays because his line and receivers were utter garbage. He threw picks because of his line and receivers, forcing balls when games were out of reach. He has surprising elusiveness and speed for a guy almost 6’5” and 245 pounds.

Check the tape. He doesn’t look like a college QB to me at all. 

I wasn’t a fan of his before but I am now.

Wait a minute, someone on these forums watched the actual games?

That's not how scouting works. You're supposed to scour the internet for as many mock drafts and blogs you can find. Then aggregate the echo chamber's general opinion about the player and take a black or white hardline stance.

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

Look , he'll probably suck. There's a good chance McCarron and Peterman suck too. AJM will likely be the QB1 through camp and into the early part of the season at least. Maybe midway through even. If none are any good, the Bills will draft another guy in a couple years. It's no big deal, especially if you already know they're going to be terrible. The only surprise possible is a pleasant one !

None of us knows yet how this will turn out, or which QB will turn out to be the best, but there is no doubt in my mind that the Bills picked the right kid for Buffalo: playing in weather, the Jim Kelly/Big Ben size and toughness, blue collar, confident but humble (unlike Rosen), wanted to be in Buffalo, work ethic, team-first guy, never quit attitude, etc. 

And as other posters have said, some people use the Nebraska game tape against him. But go back and watch just Allen's first 5 passes in that game to see why many think he projects well to the NFL. Yes, watching all of Allen's tape, you can't help but notice his athleticism, but with all of the designed roll-outs, rushes, and scrambles---due to the poor O-line play as much as his ability---it's sometimes hard to project him into the pros just watching those plays (even if some of them are his best). But in the Nebraska game, although his first throw is one of those designed roll-outs for a small gain, the next four throws are beautiful. Throw #2 is another roll-out, but without a man in his face this time, he throws a perfect 15 yard out on the run for a first down. The next throw he stays in the pocket and delivers a perfect, quick slant between two defenders for another first down on 3rd and 2. The fourth throw is another slant from the pocket on 2nd and 8 that goes for about 15. And then the 5th throw is also from the pocket, a six-yard out to the right sideline. Those four throws are all big time NFL throws from the pocket. I think those plays show that he doesn't just have the NFL toolset, but also some know how. The big question is can he become consistent at it? Now, he definitely needs to be coached up (among other things, he'll have to learn to throw the ball away more when nothing is open, to avoid the sacks or ill advised throws), but I think he's got more than a good chance of succeeding with the Bills.

Right guy in the right place at the right time.

Go Bills!

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Okay, I'm an analytics guy. I believe in the numbers and think that the Bills would definitely benefit from having a HC who acts a little like the Eagles' HC - going for it on 4th down more often, etc. Anyone who remembers my ranting after the Colts snow game this year, will attest to my love of modern football, though. 

When it came to this year's draft, we obviously wanted to go for a franchise QB - but Allen was my 5th QB. All of this based solely on the numbers. I didn't see much of all of the QBs beyond highlight reels, and Allen's stats just screamed "bust" to me. The completion %, the AYA, etc...there was just no way his admittedly impressive skill set could translate to the NFL with those numbers. And I let you guys know it - not with just one, but two threads saying Josh Allen will be a huge bust. 

• His OL was a freakin' sieve; he rarely had a clean pocket and was often running around trying to make something happen. 

I was wrong. I mean, the kid still needs to prove it and he can still be a bust.

But I cannot wait to see Josh Allen in a Bill's uniform. 

All good points. I went back and  watched more of his games and came away impressed. His 2016 tape is actually better than his 2017 tape because he had a much better team around him in 2016.

For every head scratcher he throws he also has throws where you say "How did he do that?" the kid has undeniable arm talent and a crazy quick release. I really hope once he is with a strong supporting cast he will shine. It will be beneficial for him to have Kelvin Benjamin to throw it up to. It will also be nice to have someone with an arm that can fit it in any window that is open. I am glad we will finally see someone who can use the middle of the field. All in all I am glad we finally took a risk and got "The Guy" our F/O wanted. In the end it will either set our franchise up for the next 10-15 years or set up back 5, here is to hoping we are set for the next decade plus. Go Bills