Josh Allen - Game Film Links

Domdab99

4 things that pop out by watching those vids:

1 - in the Utah game, he was blitzed like crazy and to be honest, he looks really bad against it. He needs to get better calling protections or else he will be eaten alive in the pros. Obviously, better talent around him and system will help this flaw of him, but he will need to get better.

2 - it's great that he can play from under center, but I don't see lot of success in deep balls after PA, his arm is fantastic, but it doesn't translate to long completions. It works better at intermediate throws. The rollouts (and Wyoming ran a lot of them with Allen) are a nice playcalling counter punch, but you can't base your base offense off of them. 

3 - Against Texas State he played a lot of snaps from the shotgun and his overall accuracy got better. It seems that he probably sees the field better in this formation. 

4 - There's a snow game (Colorado State) and he takes over with his physicality, very tough to bring down in that environment. 

13 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Just finished watching these edited game tapes with every Allen play on them:

I watched about 5 of these videos and a few others of his game tapes and there were a few things that struck me.

A) His alleged inaccuracy issues are way overblown.  Yes, he does tend to overshoot his short passes and swing throws but when you look at his intermediate to long passes he throws it with pretty good accuracy.   

B) He will absolutely scan the field while he's on the move.  He always seems to have his head up and when you combine that with his aggressive desire to make a down-the-field throw with his rocket arm, I think we are in for a lot of big plays, similar to that of Ben R.

C) His arm is so powerful.  He's not one of those other strong armed guys that we have seen who can throw the ball a mile but really don't ever seem to zip it.  This guy can throw it on a rope for over 30 yards.   He makes passes in tight windows from 20 yards out that other QB's could only dream about doing.  And he isn't afraid to throw it and when he does make these throws they are very accurate.   He's going to make the kind of throws that we've been salivating for a long time.  

D) He throws over the middle.  How many times have we yearned to have a QB that can throw over the middle 20 yards down the field on one of those deep slants?  I know I have.  And he's accurate doing it.

E) His athleticism and strength is impressive.  Shakes off tackles and extends plays.   Even when he tucks the ball down and he has a path he can get you good yards.  He just needs to not take on tacklers so much and slide or go out of bounds.  Because no matter how strong he is, he'll get pulverized if he tries that **** in the NFL. 

As long as the Bills can sort of have a similar sort of game plan like what the Texans did for D. Watson, where they simplified it for him and had him essentially only have to read one side of the field at a time, I think Allen could come in and very well end up being the starter early on in the season.  I don't want them to rush him but I just think he'll naturally win the job at an earlier stage than what most are thinking.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1

Allen's footwork and mechanics were sooooo bad at Wyoming. Whoever is QB coach there should be fired.

That's why I don't think Allen will be ready to play in 2018. He needs a full year of practicing his footwork to the point where he doesn't even think about it while the bullets are flying. Muscle memory.

Daboll knows exactly how important that is to an NFL QB, working with Brady all those years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Allen's footwork and mechanics were sooooo bad at Wyoming. Whoever is QB coach there should be fired.

That's why I don't think Allen will be ready to play in 2018. He needs a full year of practicing his footwork to the point where he doesn't even think about it while the bullets are flying. Muscle memory.

Daboll knows exactly how important that is to an NFL QB, working with Brady all those years.

Josh Allen after training camp

• Haha (+1) 1

I watched the films and have some concerns.  I think he has a ton of talent but he seems to bail out of the "pocket" (quotes because the line sucked) too quickly.  If he has time he seems to be able to plant his feet and throw strikes.  He does seem to rely on his arm strength and force passes from time to time.  I do love his ability to shack tackles and take off.  All in all, he has the skill, but I'm not sold that you could make an honest assessment of the guy on films I have seen.  I do think riding the pine for a year would be a good thing for his development.  I would love to have a more solid o line before this guy gets thrown to the wolves.  Lots to admire and lots to be concerned about.  I am banking on the guys who will lose their jobs.  I am sure they did there homework.  

I think people are nitpicking, and that he is an incredible talent.

I've been pirouetting through store entrances, and slapping high-fives with confused strangers ever since draft day.

Edited by OJABBA
  • Like (+1) 1

If you only read the mock drafts or scouting reports, you'd think he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. There are certainly times where this appears to be the case, most notably on a few swing passes. On the other hand, when he gets his feet set and in line on those short throws, he's accurate.

His accuracy on intermediate throws looks pretty damn good. I haven't watched a lot of the videos, but on deep posts and sideline comeback throws, he can rifle in a pretty pass.

This throw, that's dropped, is a freaking dime. Corner route near the sideline, from the far hash, between two defenders and he puts in on the money. All of this is a messy pocket. 

He has an incompletion later in the game where he sails it, but you can see the WR has no chance and if he makes an accurate throw, it's getting picked off. 

There are other throws that should be more accurate, including the first throw on the linked video I put in. IMO, he looks a lot more accurate than he's perceived if you don't watch him yourself. You can put me in the group of, "Anyone but Allen" prior to the draft, but I'm definitely warming up to him.

i'm kind of the opposite.  Pre-draft watching his highlights and thinking of his upside, I was pretty sold on him.  But now that i'm watching individual game reels, and not a spliced together film of only the best parts, i'm starting to not feel so high on the guy.

admittedly, i haven't watched every game so i have a limited sample size.

I just finished watching four games from 2016....and I'm even more convince the guy is damn good. Why? He's got a better supporting cast in 2016, and he makes some great throws, but what I noticed the most was that he was staring down his targets a lot that year...in 2017, he's scanning the field better. So, even though he had better numbers in '16, he improved in '17 - he just had a crap team around him. 

• Like (+1) 1

i hadnt had a chance to watch a lot of his games, so i watched all the videos you posted. and to be honest, the way people are reacting around here I was expecting way worse than what actually was.

The thing i noticed most of the time was how bad this guy's ol was (i thought i heard an announcer say they were starting 3 freshman?). They seemed to understand that and call a lot of roll outs to help him out, but this and his bad ol made him throw on the run an awful lot.

He also is a much better runner than i thought he would be.

This has me excited to watch what he can do this pre-season. 

Edited by Bray Wyatt

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I bet you Palmer fixed that in 3 months. He is an outstanding QB coach.

23 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I just finished watching four games from 2016....and I'm even more convince the guy is damn good. Why? He's got a better supporting cast in 2016, and he makes some great throws, but what I noticed the most was that he was staring down his targets a lot that year...in 2017, he's scanning the field better. So, even though he had better numbers in '16, he improved in '17 - he just had a crap team around him. 

2 hours ago, davspo said:

I watched the films and have some concerns.  I think he has a ton of talent but he seems to bail out of the "pocket" (quotes because the line sucked) too quickly.  If he has time he seems to be able to plant his feet and throw strikes.  He does seem to rely on his arm strength and force passes from time to time.  I do love his ability to shack tackles and take off.  All in all, he has the skill, but I'm not sold that you could make an honest assessment of the guy on films I have seen.  I do think riding the pine for a year would be a good thing for his development.  I would love to have a more solid o line before this guy gets thrown to the wolves.  Lots to admire and lots to be concerned about.  I am banking on the guys who will lose their jobs.  I am sure they did there homework.  

2 hours ago, davspo said:

These games in 2016 will get you excited about Allen. You can see him with below average college talent (although much better than his team this year). A lot of the concerns like bailing out of the pocket to soon, you don't see in these game because he is not having to try to extend plays because his WRs are not terrible. I am very excited to see what he does with NFL talent. 

The best games were not on youtube. He looked great in the four games below against good opponents. 

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/07/16/josh-allen-vs-san-diego-state-2016-2/ - vs #13 Boise state (1st win against them in 20 years)

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/07/09/josh-allen-vs-san-diego-state-2016/- vs San Diego state (wins to go undefeated at home)

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/05/23/josh-allen-vs-northern-illinois-2016/ vs Northern Illinois

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/07/17/josh-allen-vs-san-diego-state-2016-mwcc/ vs San Diego State (Championship game, show how competitive this kid is)

Here are two other games that were solid on youtube. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, OJABBA said:

See, I disagree. I think he was playing pretty well, but once the game was out of hand he had to force things. He's the whole offense, and their down by 24. It's ugly at the end, but he did lots of good things. He won't have to carry the whole team in the NFL.

I'm going on record as saying he will be one of the best QB's of his generation.

I'm with you on the first paragraph; I think he looked good against Nebraska until it got out of hand at the end. I hope the last sentence proves to be true, but that's a little strong for me; I do think he has that kind of potential if he puts it all together though.

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Yep. This is what I've been saying. The results weren't there for him in 2017 but his mechanics were markedly improved. Fewer late throws, better timing.

18 hours ago, Logic said:

A thought just occurred to me that's kind of interesting:

Our first round picks, Allen and Edmunds, are both extremely young and raw in the game, but both have elite (like...possibly among the greatest of all time at their position) physical ability. Both of them have boom or bust potential. If both of them boom, though? The Bills could get pretty good pretty fast.

Yep. Perhaps it'll prove to be an anomaly, but this year at least, it appears that Beane really favors the physical attributes and is willing to put his trust in the Bills staff to develop these guys.

17 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

I just watched all those videos, but focused only on the offensive line.

I’m not kidding, that has to be some of the worst blocking I ever saw in all of football. Even the RB was getting destroyed on the blitz.

I saw at least a couple times plays where the RT in particular literally didn't block anybody. He just stood up out of his stance and looked around while guys ran past him untouched.

Edit: Obviously it's natural since he's our guy now, but I'm glad to see people diving into his film and coming away more impressed than they expected to be. I've been high on him for two years now and while he wasn't my first choice, I was happy that we took him over Rosen. A lot of the things people are seeing as they go through the film now are the same things I noted when I was doing my own scouting. He's soooo much further along as a passer than EJ for example was when the Bills took him; that comparison was always nuts to me. I've long felt that the Cam Newton comparison is the closest for him. He'll be a better passer/rely more on his passing than Cam does IMO, and obviously he isn't as good a runner as Cam (but is still good in his own right), but I think stylistically speaking, they're very similar as passers and playmakers. And Allen doesn't have the off-field red flags that Newton had.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, OJABBA said:

I have seen this game pointed to as proof that he sucks. He is playing pretty damn good, but at the end of the game, the score is way out of hand, and he is forcing throws. He opens the game with a long string of completions. I'm not sure Tyrod has ever completed that many passes in a row on one drive.

That throw at 4:01 . . .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1) Watching his Senior Bowl throws vs. throwing to his Wyoming guys looks way different.  Hardly any YAC from any of the latter.  Lots of comeback and stop routes.  They caught the ball OK but they were not much of any threats after the catch.   Give him a go and get it, NFL calibre, physical stud of a receiver and his throws looked much better.

2) The best player Wyoming had with the ball in his hands and running in traffic was Josh Allen.  Whether breaking tackles or making guys miss, he was about the only one I saw in the videos able to provide it within their passing game.

3) With protection issues and receivers not capable of winning a 50/50 ball, you see lots of designed rollouts and throws underneath the coverage.  

4) Check out UB's Jackson/Johnson combination, either last year or this.  Clearly, Wyoming had no option of the sort to pair with Allen.  It makes a big difference to the perception of how good a QB may be. 

5) I know a guy that claims the only reason he got asked about what he wanted for Father's Day or his birthday was so his family wouldn't accidently give him something he really wanted.  I didn't want Allen based on the chatter but this guy definitely has some tools.  

6)  When he throws a pick, he seems to looking to make the tackle with an attitude.   

7) Looks like he is a good threat for a QB sneak in short yardage/goal line.  Can''t remember the last guy the Bills had that was.

Im not going to comb back through and link them, but out of the 4 videos I watched I saw at least 3 amazing deep ball dimes that hit the WR perfectly and the WR simply dropped like a chump.

So I guess what I'm saying is, he should find immediate chemistry with Zay Jones.

edit: Someone also needs to teach this kid to slide and avoid contact. You cant go in and go shoulder-to-shoulder with NFL LBs and DBs. Get down and live to fight another day.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, billspro said:

These games in 2016 will get you excited about Allen. You can see him with below average college talent (although much better than his team this year). A lot of the concerns like bailing out of the pocket to soon, you don't see in these game because he is not having to try to extend plays because his WRs are not terrible. I am very excited to see what he does with NFL talent. 

The best games were not on youtube. He looked great in the four games below against good opponents. 

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/07/16/josh-allen-vs-san-diego-state-2016-2/ - vs #13 Boise state (1st win against them in 20 years)

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/07/09/josh-allen-vs-san-diego-state-2016/- vs San Diego state (wins to go undefeated at home)

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/05/23/josh-allen-vs-northern-illinois-2016/ vs Northern Illinois

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/07/17/josh-allen-vs-san-diego-state-2016-mwcc/ vs San Diego State (Championship game, show how competitive this kid is)

1 hour ago, billspro said:

Thank you Bills Pro

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Just finished watching these edited game tapes with every Allen play on them:

Okay, I'm an analytics guy. I believe in the numbers and think that the Bills would definitely benefit from having a HC who acts a little like the Eagles' HC - going for it on 4th down more often, etc. Anyone who remembers my ranting after the Colts snow game this year, will attest to my love of modern football, though. 

When it came to this year's draft, we obviously wanted to go for a franchise QB - but Allen was my 5th QB. All of this based solely on the numbers. I didn't see much of all of the QBs beyond highlight reels, and Allen's stats just screamed "bust" to me. The completion %, the AYA, etc...there was just no way his admittedly impressive skill set could translate to the NFL with those numbers. And I let you guys know it - not with just one, but two threads saying Josh Allen will be a huge bust. 

Well, I like to think I'm man enough if I discover I'm wrong about something, and I think I'm wrong about Josh Allen. 

After going through these game tapes, listening to Dilfer, Palmer, etc., seeing Allen's life-story and what kind of man he is...I've to to say, I'm really excited about having Allen as the Bill's QB. The kid is amazing.

Some things I've seen over the last few days of study:

• Allen can obviously make any throw on the field.
  • His misses are almost always in a place where the defense cannot make a play on the ball.
  • His accuracy issues are inflated. According to the stats, Wyoming only dropped 6 passes all year - well, look at the game film - I can pick out at least 6 times A GAME that his receivers drop the damn ball - or are too damn slow to catch up to a well-thrown ball. 
  • His supporting cast was woefully slow and unimpressive. We know Allen has one of the quickest releases ever seen, yet he has to often wait for his receivers to get open before throwing the ball - putting him in more danger of being hit/sacked and/or throwing it into a crowd. 
  • His OL was a freakin' sieve; he rarely had a clean pocket and was often running around trying to make something happen. 
  • His feet are INCREDIBLE. I'm not talking about his well-documented issues with footwork while passing - I'm talking about his ability to get out of trouble and gain yardage when there is none to be found. Just amazing athletic ability. And he had to use that ability a lot.
  • Sure, he air-mails a few here and there, but what QB doesn't? And he doesn't seem quite comfortable throwing swing passes, but that'll come. 

What I noticed more than anything was that Wyoming had ONE real player on the field - and that was obviously Allen. The running game was practically non-existent. Allen was the whole offense. 

Watch the Iowa game - the one BIG COLLEGE opponent they play. Wyoming is out-classed. But Allen is fine. He throws the ball where it's supposed to go, but gets no help from his teammates. they are slow and not as strong as Iowa, so they get swallowed up. 

Watch Texas State at 2:35 - he lofts a perfect ball to James Brice, but Brice can't catch up to the ball - he's not fast enough. It's like Allen has to hold back to get the ball to his guys sometimes. 

So what am I taking from all this? I also went back and looked at some of Carson Wentz's college games. I don't see much of a difference. While Allen is not quite the physical speciman Cam Newton is, it is obvious he has a much better arm and much better touch on the ball. 

Numbers don't lie. But they sometimes aren't the whole story. 

I was wrong. I mean, the kid still needs to prove it and he can still be a bust.

But I cannot wait to see Josh Allen in a Bill's uniform. 

Fantastic post, and essentially this was my experience as well...going from having him #5 and then through his offseason and looking more into him and there is a LOT to be excited about!  

All QB's have a lot to work on to succeed in the NFL, and Allen is the kind of kid that makes you feel like he has the ability to develop.  Rosen for instance is a guy I have great concern about his ability to be coached, take the ups and downs, and grow from it.  

Allen wasn't my first choice, but I am also not a professional scout or GM.  But now that he is a Bill and I have spent more time looking at him, its crystal clear he has one of the highest ceilings in recent memory and thats freaking exciting.  Cant wait to start seeing this kids growth and development.  GO BILLS

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Im not going to comb back through and link them, but out of the 4 videos I watched I saw at least 3 amazing deep ball dimes that hit the WR perfectly and the WR simply dropped like a chump.

So I guess what I'm saying is, he should find immediate chemistry with Zay Jones.

edit: Someone also needs to teach this kid to slide and avoid contact. You cant go in and go shoulder-to-shoulder with NFL LBs and DBs. Get down and live to fight another day.

Yep. In his sophomore year he lowered his shoulder in one of his first games like that, broke his clavicle, had a bunch of screws put in it and missed the whole season.

OP thank you for these films. I started watching some of them on Friday and Saturday and started to come on here to defend Allen. When i actually watched film for myself i knew the Bills got the right guy. Allen is someone Bills fans will love cheering for. The kid comes from a humble background, he has had to work his butt off for everything he has accomplished, and i see a willingness to learn. Please watch the game film from him at the senior bowl. You can see what a weeks worth of coaching and good WR talent can do for a young willing QB. Allen 100% can read defenses, Allen has a very nice play fake. The kid is very comfortable playing under center. I just do not see how some fans here want to compare him to any of the other QB's the Bills have missed on. When I watch the film I see Jimbo not EJ or JP.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billspro said:

Good stuff - thanks for posting, nice "in between meeting" viewing!

As mentioned, you see some good and some bad from Allen, but a whole lot of potential!  I've only watched Boise State so far...

That across the body, downfield pass in the SD game (play starts at about :40) is like  :w00t:!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billspro said:

Wow. That Boise State game is highly impressive. Ditto the San Diego State game, but a little less so. It's almost as if 2016 Allen is a different player than 2017 Allen. For any Bills fan wanting to feel a bit more optimistic about Allen, I highly recommend watching these videos. 

Some of those throws in the Boise State game....Oh my goodness. Big, big, BIG time throws. Holy cow!

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Good stuff - thanks for posting, nice "in between meeting" viewing!

As mentioned, you see some good and some bad from Allen, but a whole lot of potential!  I've only watched Boise State so far...

That across the body, downfield pass in the SD game (play starts at about :40) is like  :w00t:!

There are some throws that Allen makes that no other player on the planet can make. His arm is like nothing I have ever seen. 

He is a really difficult evaluation. His arm is so good he might not have to throw with anticipation at the NFL level (I have never said that before). I think he can and will throw with anticipation but he might now have to all of the time. 

32 minutes ago, Logic said:

Wow. That Boise State game is highly impressive. Ditto the San Diego State game, but a little less so. It's almost as if 2016 Allen is a different player than 2017 Allen. For any Bills fan wanting to feel a bit more optimistic about Allen, I highly recommend watching these videos. 

Some of those throws in the Boise State game....Oh my goodness. Big, big, BIG time throws. Holy cow!

That is a ranked team as well. 

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

That is a ranked team as well. 

Just watched the MWCC game against San Diego State. The throw he makes at roughly the 12:30 mark...the 46 yarder, rolling to his right in the face of pressure..that SOMEHOW becomes a touchdown....Wow.

Undoubtedly, other QBs from this class display more consistency and short accuracy. But there is no doubt in my mind that in terms of jaw-dropping, "only 3 guys on planet earth can make that play" type of plays...Allen is head and shoulders above the others.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

Imagine him with one of the elite wide receivers just hauling down the sideline. If the Bills can manage to get one, it will be a thing of beauty.

He and Kelvin Benjamin should work very well together. Allen won't care if he's open, he'll chuck it somewhere in his vicinity and Benjamin will go up and get it. I hope his injury issues are cleared up because he's the perfect WR for Allen to have in his developmental years.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, HappyDays said:

He and Kelvin Benjamin should work very well together. Allen won't care if he's open, he'll chuck it somewhere in his vicinity and Benjamin will go up and get it. I hope his injury issues are cleared up because he's the perfect WR for Allen to have in his developmental years.

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

But a real speed demon that can catch would have the DB's backing off quick.

3 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Allen sucks. 

Can't believe we took him just cause Terry P was impressed that he could throw the ball far. LOL

What a valuable contribution the forum! Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us all with your well reasoned, well stated, and mature opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, billspro said:

While there are a lot of positive things to build on in those games, like many of the games he has played the last few years, these games show once again that he is a work in progress.  Outside of a couple of plays he made, that Northern Illinois tape was pretty bad. 

Seems like no matter how much tape you watch of the guy, there are so many things in common.  When his footwork is right and he actually gets some help from his teammates, he is awesome to watch.  But far too many times, he makes plays that you just want to cover your eyes while watching.  As far as I am concerned, let's get his footwork fixed and see where that takes him.  He has a lot more issues than that, but that would be a big start and I think would help correct the other issues he has.  One thing at a time.  Let's build a QB.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1

Most fans only look at stats.  I've been saying this since last year.  Allen isn't a stats guy in college because of the team he is on.  You can't come to a conclusion about a college football player based on the player's stats.  When are fans going to learn this?

Edited by Buffalo30