If Beane trades up for Allen and passes on Rosen what's your reaction?

DJB

3 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I'm along that line too.  Especially if the Pats get Rosen.  Say hello to another 20 years like the last 20 where the pats beat us with a record 32-2

Rosen is the best to come out in years.  He is already the second best QB in the AFCE.

Drafting Rosen is like drafting a super bowl apperence

but i would never be done.. just suck it up and

3 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Beane and the scouts knows more about College QBS than myself or anyone on this board, so I would trust his decision

how many times have i done this before

I will not watch any more of the draft if we trade up for Allen, or even draft him at 12.  Allen is absolutely terrible.  It's pure hubris by any FO/Coaching staff that drafts him that they can magically fix him.  All the "excuses" about his WR's, etc. have been debunked.  

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

Mason Rudolph is a better pick (still yuck, but better).  

There are a lot of intelligent fans on this board that know way more than me, especially when it comes to college QBS.

While we all have our preferences, at the end of the day, Beane and his team know 20 times more about the QBS than any of us here.

So while yes I would prefer Rosen, I am simply an amateur at best and would trust the professionals

7 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Beane and the scouts knows more about College QBS than myself or anyone on this board, so I would trust his decision

See here is where I have become different.

I have seen too many FOs where I have given them the benefit of the doubt and it's turned out to be mistaken.

I HOPE Beane and the rest of the scouts know more about football and College QBs than I do.  I WANT that to be true.  But I'm now in Missouri, and the best I can give them is the benefit of the doubt until they SHOW ME that it's true.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Only explanation:

Rosen's already gone.

These QB's better be gone: Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Jackson, Kyle L.; Falk and Rudolph.   And Allen better be a 3rd round pick.  

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

See here is where I have become different.

I have seen too many FOs where I have given them the benefit of the doubt and it's turned out to be mistaken.

I HOPE Beane and the rest of the scouts know more about football and College QBs than I do.  I WANT that to be true.  But I'm now in Missouri, and the best I can give them is the benefit of the doubt until they SHOW ME that it's true.

As much as I think you are an intelligent poster and I believe you when you say you know a lot of about college QBS,  at the end of the day these guys are professionals and get paid a lot of money to make these decisions, and have done countless and countless hours of research/film study on each and single QB. They know everything about every prospect they look into. 

Are they going to be wrong at times? Absolutely as picking a franchise QB is very difficult to predict.

But there is a reason they get paid the big bucks to make these decisions, and there is a reason why we are fans on a message board haha

6 minutes ago, CardinalScotts said:

I would actually take Allen over Rosen. Allen is the only one who has the ability to be great or at the elite level the rest Kirk Cousins is  the ceiling

Allen's ceiling is Ryan Mallett or Jake Locker.  

The ceiling for Mayfield, Darnold or Rosen are along the lines of Brees or Big Ben, or Rodgers, IMO.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You state a ton of opinion as fact, and try to predict the future. I dont necessarily disagree completely with your assessment, but I wouldnt be so confident with it either.

I've simply been around for too many QB-argument offseasons around here, and the only thing they've proven we know is that we dont know squat.

So we should just ignore the stats and metrics and what we can see? Might as well just flip a coin!

I'll initially be disappointed because my favorite idea is Rosen, but I'll be happy that the Bills got their guy. 

I just want a horse in this race. I don't want to wake up Friday Morning wondering if Luke Falk will fall to us in round 2, or hoping Mason Rudolph was just underrated by everyone. 

I want the Bills to get their guy, and I'm fascinated to see who their guy is. If it's Josh Allen, let's go. We got a Qb. 

If It's Josh Rosen, I'll do a couple extra fist pumps on Thursday Night when his name is announced. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Not to get to abstract or off topic, but there are only ~1500 players in the NFL. The majority of new prospects don't make it. There should be a higher success rate in the earlier rounds, but it's not a guarantee for any FO. My point is, betting against picks is easy money and we all look better than the pros using hindsight.

I would be shocked if they rank Allen over Rosen, but I would trust they had a reason (health, interviewed poorly, etc (info that we'll never have)). I'd put the FO on a very short leash, but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

This draft, probably since it is so important to Buffalo, is one I would really like to here Beane's thought process and how things actually went down.  Even if I had to wait 10 years I think it would be an interesting story.  Hopefully a 30 for 30 comes out one day on all the behind the scenes maneuvering.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

So we should just ignore the stats and metrics and what we can see? Might as well just flip a coin!

That's not what I said at all. I'm pointing out that all those things you can see still dont give you the entire picture, nor do they let you predict the future. Simply tempering your conviction of the unknowable doesnt mean you throw it all away. We can form fairly informed opinions, and I'm happy to discuss them. But none of us can be so certain.

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

This draft, probably since it is so important to Buffalo, is one I would really like to here Beane's thought process and how things actually went down.  Even if I had to wait 10 years I think it would be an interesting story.  Hopefully a 30 for 30 comes out one day on all the behind the scenes maneuvering.

Agreed. Especially if the league sees 3 or more good QBs come out of this draft. I'd love to know everything that went on and how people truly felt.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think they would do that because they don't need a very dubious development project.  He never proved himself against top notch competitions for multiple years.  He never had to throw passes against NFL DB speed players.

Let's remind people that after graduating from Reedley Community College, Allen sent film and intro letters to all 350 or so 4 year colleges with football teams and had two replies.

Are all those coaches idiots?

just to be devils advocate....hold 12 and 22...dont draft a qb(maybe white)..... we end up going 5-11 and have a top 5 pick in 2019 and draft drew lock...we have one of the highest cap space in 2019 with all the dead money off the books and go crazy in FA.

My reaction would be to hope McCarron can give him the time he needs to develop before being thrown into the fire. Allen needs time to work on his footwork, etc., which is a factor in his accuracy. It all starts with a solid base. 

• Like (+1) 1

I will have mixed feelings about it.....

I have my favorites.....Rosen.....Jackson.....Mayfield.....I am actually a weary of Darnold because he comes from a school that tends to churn out duds after looking great in college and I HATE turnovers from a QB

If your drafting Allen your drafting him solely based on the potential of what he can become because of his ridiculous high ceiling tools......and i dont pretend to know more then NFL evaluator's.

At the end of the day I will reside myself to the fact that we did indeed take a shot at a QB in what I consider to be one of the best QB drafts ever.......and reside myself to the fact that AJM is going to be our starter this year because Allen is no where near ready......but have hope for the future.

6 minutes ago, bkep32 said:

just to be devils advocate....hold 12 and 22...dont draft a qb(maybe white)..... we end up going 5-11 and have a top 5 pick in 2019 and draft drew lock...we have one of the highest cap space in 2019 with all the dead money off the books and go crazy in FA.

What happens when "Top 5" isnt high enough to get the one and only good QB? Exactly what happened to us in 2012.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What happens when "Top 5" isnt high enough to get the one and only good QB? Exactly what happened to us in 2012.

move up cuz 2018 draft will be A+ and have plenty cap room to fill other needs?

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

As much as I think you are an intelligent poster and I believe you when you say you know a lot of about college QBS,  at the end of the day these guys are professionals and get paid a lot of money to make these decisions, and have done countless and countless hours of research/film study on each and single QB. They know everything about every prospect they look into. 

Are they going to be wrong at times? Absolutely as picking a franchise QB is very difficult to predict.

But there is a reason they get paid the big bucks to make these decisions, and there is a reason why we are fans on a message board haha

All that you say is true.

But at the same time, have we, or have we not,seen plenty of NFL drafts where the FO/coaches were paid the "big bucks" to make these decisions and yet, you yourself probably must admit that if you had read the prospect rankings of 3 different sources and chosen what you felt was the best player available, based upon those sources, we would have had a better team?

Do I want this FO to be different - smarter, better?  Yes, I do.  Do I have absolute faith that they are?  No, not yet.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All that you say is true.

But at the same time, have we, or have we not,seen plenty of NFL drafts where the FO/coaches were paid the "big bucks" to make these decisions and yet, you yourself probably must admit that if you had read the prospect rankings of 3 different sources and chosen what you felt was the best player available, based upon those sources, we would have had a better team?

Do I want this FO to be different - smarter, better?  Yes, I do.  Do I have absolute faith that they are?  No, not yet.

Fair points

On 4/25/2018 at 12:26 PM, CardinalScotts said:

I would actually take Allen over Rosen. Allen is the only one who has the ability to be great or at the elite level the rest Kirk Cousins is  the ceiling

Barring injury setbacks, Rosen is the next Brady/Manning/Brees caliber caliber QB.  Matt Ryan is his floor.  The other guys might be Kirk cousins.  But Allen is most likely to be out of the league in 5 years. 

I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but I will absolutely think that he just took a huge gamble. 

The way I feel is if he trades up for a guy like Darnold or Rosen and they bust, you can much more easily justify the risk Beane took because they are the top rated QBs and their play on the field (+ their stats) backs that up. 

Allen is a much bigger risk. There really is no precedent for taking a QB with Allen's underlying stats in the top 5. 

If Beane trades up for Allen and he busts, it should put his job in jeopardy. Where as if he trade up for Darnold/Rosen and they don't work out, I think he deserve another swing. 

Just my opinion anyway.