Giants View Barkley as Near Perfect Prospect

HailMary

The Browns have not interviewed or set up visits with either Barkley/Chubb that tells me we are going QB #1 (Darnold) and either Ward or a trade down with #4 ... The Giants can stay at 2 or trade down with Denver for #5 and still get Barkley ... 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Oh, so the price of the #2 pick just went up again with this declaration?  

Fine by me.  That’s means the giants won’t take a QB.  If the browns take Allen it would almost assure us of landing Darnold, Mayfield or Rosen.  Beane wouldn’t let that opportunity to pass him by.  He could then just trade to 4-7 and get one of the best 3 QBs in the draft.  Worst case scenario for the Bills would be if the Giants loved a or a couple of the QBs. The love for Saquon is nothing but good for the Bills imo.  Only thing that would make it difficult is if McBeane is only interested in 2 QBs, which I hope isn’t the case.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Fine by me.  That’s means the giants won’t take a QB.  If the browns take Allen it would almost assure us of landing Darnold, Mayfield or Rosen.  Beane wouldn’t let that opportunity to pass him by.  He could then just trade to 4-7 and get one of the best 3 QBs in the draft.  Worst case scenario for the Bills would be if the Giants loved a or a couple of the QBs. The love for Saquon is nothing but good for the Bills imo.  Only thing that would make it difficult is if McBeane is only interested in 2 QBs, which I hope isn’t the case.

Ya if the Giants are going to try to completely screw us I would rather trade with the Browns at 4. 

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I suspect the love for Saquan is exaggerated as part of a smokescreen, but who knows at this point? 

13 minutes ago, billspro said:

They are crazy if they think an RB is more valuable than picks. RBs probably get injured more than any other position and have short careers.

I suppose you think taking Jamarcus russel over Adrian Peterson made sense too?   Barkley is the best back to come out since Peterson. 

I get what you are saying.  I’m against drafting RBs early in general.  But when you get a special prospect (which Barkley and AP are/were) it’s a different story. 

44 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

I suppose you think taking Jamarcus russel over Adrian Peterson made sense too?   Barkley is the best back to come out since Peterson. 

I get what you are saying.  I’m against drafting RBs early in general.  But when you get a special prospect (which Barkley and AP are/were) it’s a different story. 

I would much rather have three first round picks if I was them. I don't really get your QB point. They could probably get both of our first rounds this year and a first round next year. 

When you factor in the cap it makes it even worse picking a RB. They would have Barkley for four years, with a very expensive 5th year option. Then they would probably have to pay him over 17 million per season after that if he becomes a special player. I would much rather have 3 first round picks even if I was guaranteed he would be as good as Peterson. Almost all of the Super Bowl Champions the past decade run a RB by committee approach. 

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

The only reason something like this gets out is because they want it to get out. Driving up the price for #2, or trying to get the Browns to get him at #1. 

Everyone just assumes the Giants can trade out of 2 and get a bounty of picks because of the Bills.  Beane isnt going up to 2 unless his preferred QB is there.  Giants are letting Cleveland know they aren’t getting Barkley at 4.  Darnold is probably the only QB that teams will give up a bounty to the giants for.  This signals to me that the Giants want to trade out of 2, but it takes 2 to tango and their potential trade partners want Darnold.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billspro said:

They are crazy if they think an RB is more valuable than picks. RBs probably get injured more than any other position and have short careers.

With guys like Zeke and Fournette busting out the last few years it makes Barkley enticing. Toss in once Manning moves on and I don't think they bring Beckham back they'll need a new face of the franchise. Barkley could be that guy.

Barkley isn't a Peterson or Fournette level prospect. He's closer to a McCafferty. The overall quality of this draft at the top just isn't as good as years past and Barkley is the player that gets the hype with all the QB flaw discussion. The treasure trove for #2 is better for the Giants, who completely overhauled a front office the second they entertained not sticking with Eli.

Darnold is the consensus number 1 and the Giants have to make sure the Browns actually take him before they trade down.

If we can't get to #2 for a reasonable price, the Giants taking Barkley would help us. Assuming qbs go 1 and 3 then, we could swing a cheaper trade for 4 or 5, maybe even later and still have our pick of 2 of the 4 quarterbacks. If the Broncos pass on one as well, that opens us up to move to 6 for our guy. If the rumors are even somewhat correct, and Allen and Mayfield go to the Browns and Jets, we could have our choice of the top 2 guys without paying a stupid amount of picks. I would be ecstatic. 

7 hours ago, tannins said:

It is indeed a secret ... to everyone, including the writer of the article, who is saying that IF they don't trade down and IF they don't go QB then they would go Barkley.

5 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

Barkley is the safe pick but doesn't mean it's the right pick. If the Giants truly believe in Eli and think he will be able to play at a high level for at least three more years then you could make a case for Barkley. 

AP was a great running back, probably the best back to come out in the last 20 years or so. But even with that being the case how many playoff games did the Vikings win with him? One? Hitting on a QB can get you to multiple Super Bowls. It's worth the risk even if you end up busting.

7 hours ago, tannins said:

we won't need to go up that far.

4 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Everyone just assumes the Giants can trade out of 2 and get a bounty of picks because of the Bills.  Beane isnt going up to 2 unless his preferred QB is there.  Giants are letting Cleveland know they aren’t getting Barkley at 4.  Darnold is probably the only QB that teams will give up a bounty to the giants for.  This signals to me that the Giants want to trade out of 2, but it takes 2 to tango and their potential trade partners want Darnold.  

There's no reason to think that Beane doesn't have two or even three or four QBs he would take at #2 if he could get there. 

He wouldn't have so consistently assembled draft capital this last year if there was only one guy he wanted and that guy might well be gone at #1.

Agreed that the Giants want the Browns to want to trade up right along with the teams that want a QB there. The more suitors the bigger the dowry stands a chance of being.