McShay Believes "High Probability" Buffalo Ultimately Trades to #2 (For Josh Allen)

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

Which actually could mean no interest but could also mean Mayfield and Rosen are smoke.  At this point it's just whatever, get this over with haha.

This is why I say believe no names at this point....

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is why I say believe no names at this point....

Yeah.  I'm not locked into a guy but it's unfortunate that I'm locked against some guys at a particular price point.  I'd eventually accept it, but I'd initially be mad at some guys depending on what the price is.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills are going to #2 so long as Cleveland doesn't take their guy. 

Who do you think “their guy” is? 

Allen’s upside is amazing, but he scares me to death! Darnold or Rosen works for me. Even Mayfield for the right price.  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Why oh why does Josh Allen have to exist?! 

He's really bringing down what has otherwise been a really fun draft buildup.

Still, the fear that OBD trades a bunch of picks to move up and draft him is really, REALLY raining on my parade.

To give up as much as the front office has given up (Watkins, Dareus, Darby, Ragland, Jones, trading down instead of taking Watson/Mahomes last season, the numerous picks it will take to move up) just to draft JOSH ALLEN?!?! Please God no! And does Beane really want to stake his CAREER on the guy? 

The whole thing makes me queasy. 

I'm not in love w allen...  but mcbeane isnt stupid. They have to be well aware of the situation you laid out. Knowing that, if he really is their target (and let's face it you can pay attention to EVERYTHING or NOTHING and odds are you wouldn't have a better grip either way of who their guy is) and he is their choice... well, that... THAT gets me excited. You dont do everything you just mentioned to fail or be a wishy washy with it. They will have have big and well thought out plans, which means who ever they choose (if given the chance) has big potential. Granted they haven't had as long... but this isnt whaley/rex, nix, Brandon bumbling. I feel like in a perfect world if they get their guy- we can hope for these big things bc they seem to know what they are doing. I'm not usually Mr optimistic but compared to who has been through here the last 10+yrs - I feel like these are the guys best suited for a play/move this big and I'm glad NOW is when the pieces came together

Edited by gobills1212

I only hope they can identify a QB prospect better than past regimes. Not new info on here but in the last 17 years only 17 of the 50 1st round QB's went on to have a franchise changing career.. and that's if you throw in Chad Pennington. Two of the 33 busts where friggin Bills picks. 9 QB's taken later than round 1 had impact.. 0 of those were friggin Bills picks. 

So to sum it up.. my biggest fear is these guys not knowing what an NFL QB looks like even if he visits them 4 times.

Edited by slaphappy

7 minutes ago, slaphappy said:

I only hope they can identify a QB prospect better than past regimes. Not new info on here but in the last 17 years only 17 of the 50 1st round QB's went on to have a franchise changing career.. and that's if you throw in Chad Pennington. Two of the 33 busts where friggin Bills picks. 9 QB's taken later than round 1 had impact.. 0 of those were friggin Bills picks. 

So to sum it up.. my biggest fear is these guys not knowing what an NFL QB looks like even if he visits them 4 times.

I have to say...this is a big fear of mine, as well.

I like Brandon Beane a lot, but there's a small part of me that really doesn't like the fact that he's not a dyed in the wool, hardcore football background, 10 years as a scout kind of guy. I know he worked his way up and paid his dues and yada yada yada, but actually knowing what a franchise QB looks like? How are Brandon Beane's player evaluation skills, really? I have full faith that he'll be excellent with the salary cap, free agency, contract negotiations, people management...all the non rookie talent acquisition parts of the job. But his expertise as a drafter remains to be seen, and I really hope it doesn't cost the Bills a franchise QB in exchange for the third 1st round QB bust of this millennium. 

And then you have McDermott. Sure, he was around McNabb and Cam Newton, but had no hand in selecting or coaching either guy. He's a defensive mind through and through. Luckily, it's not his job to stock the cupboard with groceries. But you figure he's at least giving his input as to what items should be on the grocery list.

Here's hoping for both their sakes that they know what to look for.

I am amazed how the board has changed in the last two months. It was all Mason ,Mason I will not watch the  Bill's ,I am done with them and now it is Baker ,Baker who is is the Idol of the board. I know that there is a feeling of mistrust with our front office but there is hope . Look at last year. They have stabilized the franchise and have put us in a most favorable position with their trades , signings, and cuts  last year and this year. We will have cap space next  year. We are in the best position of all 32 teams as far as draft picks this year.Trust your GM , after all he is the one  who has to be  more knowledgeable than us. He is the one who's job  is on the line. So far he  has done a remarkable job , in my opinion. So whomever he chooses , I will  be in line with his decision no matter whether he was my choice or not.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

How does Allen remind you of Cam?

Size and arm.  Cam was not a slam dunk prospect.  Hindsight 20/20 now.  Many questiined his ability to win in the pocket in the NFL.

10 hours ago, mjt328 said:

If the Bills really like Josh Allen that much, I guess I'll just need to trust their judgment.

At the same time, I just can't understand why anyone would even consider him over safer prospects Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.  It logically makes no sense.

Sure, I get the concept of "upside" if Allen manages to improve things like accuracy and pocket presence.  But why take a guy with potential, over a guy like Rosen who already has refined those aspects of his game?  Darnold and Rosen have just as much upside, but a much lower chance of busting.

Darnold might not be available and Rosen's injury history could give Beane pause.  Rosen has missed time the past two seasons.  He's not a stocky guy and he's not all that mobile either.  He can and will operate from the pocket most times; and he is going to take shots from bigger, stronger, quicker defensive players.

Not saying they shouldn't take him, but I can understand a GM questioning the investment it would take to move up to #2 for him.  I could say the same for any of these QBs,  which is why I'm not tied to any of them as the one the Bills must draft or they're "stupid" or if they draft "that guy" i'm out.  

I'm good with whatever QB because that will be who Beane and McD identified for whatever reason.  At that point it's up to the coaches and the player to make it do what it do.

Edited by purple haze

When I read a post that says, "I don't think they want Allen," I think it actually means, "I have no idea what they want but I don't want it to be Allen." It's wishful thinking framed as a prediction. The Bills might well pick Allen.

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

One thing I will say is that there are a lot of people who know 1000 times more about football than any of us who believe Allen is the best QB in this draft.  So much so, that I think its HIGHLY possible he goes 1st overall to Cleveland at this point.  

I had concerns, but those concerns stem from what I read or people say as I didnt watch him play.  But highlights are legit and his combine and workouts have been the best of all the QB's.  I am warming up to him now and have him as my 3rd guy behind Baker and Darnold.  So I wont hate getting him anymore, but I do definitely prefer Baker as he is my top guy on the board.  

'

Personally, I think Allen is going to go #1...then it will be interesting to see if Bills go Darnold or Baker if they trade up to 2.  I said all year long I felt Baker was going to be a Bill next year, even when people kept telling me he was a 2nd round pick or lower.  But I am starting to think he is their target as they sure are meeting with him a lot.  And I would be stoked if we got him.  

Dont get me wrong, I would love to get a guy outside the top 5 too, but at this point, there seems to be a lot of energy around us trading to #2...so hate giving up so many picks, but will still be exciting no matter who we take.  The guy I like the least is Rosen though now...Bradford body and cutler-esque personality have cooled my interest.

I think it's pretty well known that if the Browns take Allen, the Giants will not be trading the pick and will grab Darnold. I don't think the Browns will trade at 4 either, since they like Barkely and Chubb a lot and have a lot of picks and need to start picking marquee players. Jets will pick Rosen, Browns will pick Barkely or Chubb, and then Denver will go Mayfield if they like him or take the other player the Browns did not. If they take Mayfield, the top 4 Qbs will be gone by pick 5 with no trading partners. What hurts the Bills is that this draft has about 7 or 8 blue chip players. I think it would be crazy to trade down to where you don't get one. The Colts said they didn't want to go down any further than 6. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills are going to #2 so long as Cleveland doesn't take their guy. 

If the Browns take Allen or Barkely the Giants will not be trading the pick. BTW, Allen makes the most sense for the Bills. A big guy with a cold weather background, huge hands and can throw well downfield. Don't think Rosen would want to be in Buffalo or Cleveland and they will probably pick up on that. Rosen would be better off with the Jets or Giants based on the type of guy he is. 

Edited by Greensleeves

Still all-in on the "anyone but Allen" bandwagon.

I really think there's a 0.001% chance the Bills want Allen.

There's even less of a chance we trade up to #2 to grab him. Let the Jets be stuck with him. It's a win-win for us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

I think it's pretty well known that if the Browns take Allen, the Giants will not be trading the pick and will grab Darnold. I don't think the Browns will trade at 4 either, since they like Barkely and Chubb a lot and have a lot of picks and need to start picking marquee players. Jets will pick Rosen, Browns will pick Barkely or Chubb, and then Denver will go Mayfield if they like him or take the other player the Browns did not. If they take Mayfield, the top 4 Qbs will be gone by pick 5 with no trading partners. What hurts the Bills is that this draft has about 7 or 8 blue chip players. I think it would be crazy to trade down to where you don't get one. The Colts said they didn't want to go down any further than 6. 

If the Browns take Allen or Barkely the Giants will not be trading the pick. BTW, Allen makes the most sense for the Bills. A big guy with a cold weather background, huge hands and can throw well downfield. Don't think Rosen would want to be in Buffalo or Cleveland and they will probably pick up on that. Rosen would be better off with the Jets or Giants based on the type of guy he is. 

I disagree most fervantly with almost everything you said. But carry on. 

4 hours ago, MemBill said:

When I read a post that says, "I don't think they want Allen," I think it actually means, "I have no idea what they want but I don't want it to be Allen." It's wishful thinking framed as a prediction. The Bills might well pick Allen.

Nah, I think most just hope/assume our HC/GM are smart and good at their jobs and wouldn't do something like draft a comparatively crappy QB in an otherwise loaded class. Seriously... in the last 30-40 years how many QBs were so mediocre to bad at a tiny school against crappy competition? When I say comparatively, I mean consider what other QBs in that time were doing in terms of passing, too.

Hell you probably have to go back to Phil Simms to find the only really relevant example when he was drafted 7th 39 years ago.

Brett Favre went in the 2nd round... poor team that drafted him didn't even reap the benefits.

Matt Ryan had a significantly higher completion % than Allen 10 years ago and improved every year against Division I ACC teams.

Matthew Stafford might have ended his college career with only a slightly higher completion % than Allen but unlike Allen, Stafford improved significantly every single year as a starter against high level SEC competition.

Where is any of this for Allen? 3rd round project QB I'd absolutely get behind. Maybe even overdraft in the 2nd round because he does have the potential to be a Franchise QB. But you draft a QB in the top 10 of the 1st round because you're utterly confident he's going to be a Franchise QB, not because of his potential to be one.

Personally, I think he might drop precipitously... and I sure hope we don't bite.

we all have our favorites, but out of the big 4, whomever the Bills pick will be good with me and should be good with any Bills fan, weve had literal garbage at qb for 20 years, well have a Blue chip QB for once in our history.

It's exciting!

I want Baker ... but don't trade up beyond #6 to get him if he drops . .which I doubt  ..... if he's gone we have AJ ... see his college stats in a stacked SEC vs. this years draft class .. and come back in 2nd/3rd for Rudolph, Falk, White, etc.

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Alabama         686 1026 66.9 9019 8.8 9.6 77 15 162.5
*2010 Alabama SEC FR QB 13 30 48 62.5 389 8.1 9.4 3 0 151.2
*2011 Alabama SEC SO QB 13 219 328 66.8 2634 8.0 8.3 16 5 147.3
*2012 Alabama SEC JR QB 14 211 314 67.2 2933 9.3 10.8 30 3 175.3
*2013 Alabama SEC SR QB 13 226 336 67.3 3063 9.1 9.8 28 7 167.2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'll not here to debate who is better

My point was darnold should sit for 1 year is accepted across the board

Allen for minimum 1, maybe 2

So your assertion that the bills signed aj mccarron as a backup to use a day 1 starter would then eliminate darnold by your logic as well

That was my point

Thats the thing. Darnold could aslp start by mid season depending how coaching feels he is doing. He might pull a Russel Wilson and light it up in camp. He has more of a chance to get on the field year one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideRightRevenge said:

I want Baker ... but don't trade up beyond #6 to get him if he drops . .which I doubt  ..... if he's gone we have AJ ... see his college stats in a stacked SEC vs. this years draft class .. and come back in 2nd/3rd for Rudolph, Falk, White, etc.

Passing

i agree.

i would not trade up unless baker or allen falls...and then it would be from 7 on. if the qbs fly off the board, i would take rudolph at 12 and keep all my picks. i don't expect any qb we draft would or will need to start this year.

as of right now, i am considering ajm the starter with possible franchise ability. i think he has been massively under rated and not one 1st. rd. qb this year had anywhere near the college success as a.j.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Thats the thing. Darnold could aslp start by mid season depending how coaching feels he is doing. He might pull a Russel Wilson and light it up in camp. He has more of a chance to get on the field year one.

I agree with you on that, I will say that I feel the Browns acquisition of Tyrod points to Darnold or Allen being their guy, with the intention of Tyrod being their QB for 1-2 seasons, depending on who they draft.

I'm could see Darnold coming in midseason for whoever drafts him as well.

Good points.

• Like (+1) 1

I want to get the guy Beane and McDermott actually covet. That means moving up to #2. Jets obviously are not moving out of #3. Trading up to only #4 or #5 guarantees you the third QB off the board at best. Possibly the 4th off the board. That means you are settling for a QB you may not even covet as much as the 1st or 2nd guy on your board. Just move to #2 and get the guy you really like. If that is Allen then so be it. Plus, at least we didn't get outmaneuvered by the Jets by moving up to #2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Agree completely Wily Dog. I have a lot of faith in Beane and McDermott. Imagine they have a handle on which QB fits them. Allen has some big time skill that translates to the NFL.

Will it take some time to harness like it did for Bradshaw, Manning etc. , of course. McDermott coached up a completely turned over secondary to an elite unit, he transformed Preston Brown to the leading tackler in the league (he stunk the year before). These guys made the playoffs with guys like Yarborough, DuCasse, Deonte Thompson, Milano and Brandon Tate contributing. If they pick Allen, I support it.  

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I agree with you on that, I will say that I feel the Browns acquisition of Tyrod points to Darnold or Allen being their guy, with the intention of Tyrod being their QB for 1-2 seasons, depending on who they draft.

I'm could see Darnold coming in midseason for whoever drafts him as well.

Good points.

I agree on that as well. They will def go Darnold or Allen. Hopefully Darnold so Giants have more of a reason to trade out.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Every Bills fan feels the same way about JP Losman now. 

Although it wasn't his fault he was drafted by a team with no patience in allowing him to develop properly. Drafted in 2004 by Mike Mularkey as HC, Tom Clements as OC.

Losman sat his first year after breaking his leg after being run into during training camp by Troy Vincent. The team brought in Kelly Holcomb after they dumped Bledsoe and he was the backup QB with Losman starting. Needless to say that Losman's offensive line wasn't any better at protecting him then it was Bledsoe and so the musical chairs of benching QB's started. 

Losman actually played pretty decently in 2006 despite the crappy O line and the team went 7-9 under new HC Dick Jauron with Steve Fairchild as OC. That year Losman was the 11th best passer in the NFL with an 84.9 rating. Bad lines, bad coaching and always looking over your shoulder to see if you will be benched.

Two head coaches, four different OC's. Clements, Fairchild, Schonert, Alex Van Pelt and none really worth a damn. Clements wasn't bad later on but he got his first job as an OC in Buffalo.

I feel bad for both JP and Edwards as they really had no chance to do well in Buffalo.

yeah I respectfully disagree.  Losman & Edwards did not succeed because they were not very good QBs.  JP's accuracy was his big issue & that is hard to correct.  Van Miller told me one time early in Losman's career that he will never make it because he is not accurate.  In the NFL if your not accurate you have very little chance of succeeding.  The windows are just too tight.  It kind of make me intrigued by Mayfield.  The one poster, not sure who he is, but he sounds like he studies QBs & knows what he is talking about said Mayfield's placement of the football is terrific & by far the best in this draft.  Accuracy is also what scares the hell out of me with Allen.  He is all over the place.  I wouldn't take him with the 12th pick.  Trade up to 5/6 & grab Mayfield or stay put at 12 & hope Jackson is there. 

4 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Passing

Alabama in 2011, 2012 and 2013 had more talent on the field than their opponent every game he quarterbacked.  That is why he was a mid rd qb.  He doesn't do anything great.  Probably, a career backup at most a game manager.

29 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Alabama in 2011, 2012 and 2013 had more talent on the field than their opponent every game he quarterbacked.  That is why he was a mid rd qb.  He doesn't do anything great.  Probably, a career backup at most a game manager.

AJ may or may not be a franchise level talent quarterback. However, in my opinion, you way over state your opinion. I don’t believe for one minute that his statistics at Alabama, which are quite impressive, are diluted or misleading because of the talent on the field with him.  They are exactly what you see on that chart. When you think about the quarterback position, it matters little who is on the field with him. It takes a great quarterback, at least a great college quarterback, to put up those numbers. To me, this is not even debatable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

AJ may or may not be a franchise level talent quarterback. However, in my opinion, you way over state your opinion. I don’t believe for one minute that his statistics at Alabama, which are quite impressive, are diluted or misleading because of the talent on the field with him.  They are exactly what you see on that chart. When you think about the quarterback position, it matters little who is on the field with him. It takes a great quarterback, at least a great college quarterback, to put up those numbers. To me, this is not even debatable.

Tim Tebow says hi.

So does every single Ohio State QB of the last three decades.

10 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Tim Tebow says hi.

So does every single Ohio State QB of the last three decades.

In no way, shape or form is this comparable. Comparing Tebow to AJ is like comparing apples to kumquats. Sorry, missed this one by mile, didn’t you? Let me put it to you in another way. Who would you rather have playing quarterback for the bills of those two? Something tells me I already know what your answer is. 

Just now, Mojo44 said:

In no way, shape or form is this comparable. Comparing Tebow to AJ is like comparing apples to kumquats. Sorry, missed this one by mile, didn’t you? Let me put it to you in another way. Who would you rather have playing quarterback for the bills of those two? Something tells me I already know what your answer is. 

Both national championship QBs from high power programs, who were surrounded by massive talent.

Your idiotic statement about "the QB position matters little who is on the field with him" in regards to claiming that mccarron's college success had nothing to do with the fact that year in year out Alabama's roster could probably win 3-5 games in the NFL was why I brought up Tebow.

He had ridiculous college stats, won a Heisman, and National champ, because he was in a loaded Miami roster.

I never once said they were the same type/style of QB, but the point remains.

College QBs with crazy talent around them excel.

They rarely translate to high caliber NFL players.

Whether at the peewee level, High school level, college or the NFL the quarterback is the most important position on the field. You are using the  TyrodTaylor argument that the reason he was so putrid was because he didn’t have enough talent around him. Bull crap! It’s always the other way around by and large. That’s football 101. The Tim Tebow comparison is simply wrong! But, unlike you, I will not resort to an insulting term describe your opinion. I actually respect it. I just completely disagree.

In any team sport, by far the quarterback is the most important position. A distant second might be the starting pitcher in baseball but they never finish games. A distant third might be a point guard in basketball. Again, football 101. 

Have a  good one.

If we turn the clock back to the beginning of the college football season.................

I was a BIG Josh Allen fan and this is the QB I fully wanted the Bills to tank for.

Fast forward to now...................

Should my opinion change so drastically as it has? I am totally up in arms now as to take Allen or not. I know the talent around him deteriorated badly this past season for Allen, but the inaccuracy he showed is worrisome on the pro level. 

If Allen is seriously the target for Buffalo, I hope to God he isn't another EJ Manuel. That would be a disaster of epic proportions for this franchise.

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

yeah I respectfully disagree.  Losman & Edwards did not succeed because they were not very good QBs.  JP's accuracy was his big issue & that is hard to correct.  Van Miller told me one time early in Losman's career that he will never make it because he is not accurate.  In the NFL if your not accurate you have very little chance of succeeding.  The windows are just too tight.  It kind of make me intrigued by Mayfield.  The one poster, not sure who he is, but he sounds like he studies QBs & knows what he is talking about said Mayfield's placement of the football is terrific & by far the best in this draft.  Accuracy is also what scares the hell out of me with Allen.  He is all over the place.  I wouldn't take him with the 12th pick.  Trade up to 5/6 & grab Mayfield or stay put at 12 & hope Jackson is there. 

I guarantee,  Allen will be alot like JP.   Neither can throw an accurate 15 yard out to save their lives. I have to believe McB will only be willing to trade up for Darnold  (maybe ? Rosen). I also love Mayfield@ 6? If we give up tons of picks to get Allen it will set this team back even more.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

I believe the Bills organization has been all over Darnold and Rosen since this new regime took over.

A trade up is for either of these two......................

If that fails, the Bills will either stay put of trade back further and accumulate more draft capital to build up the roster.

McBeane is working diligently to get Darnold or Rosen in a Bills uniform.

On 4/4/2018 at 2:13 PM, Reed83HOF said:

Which is true, we didn't even have Tre in last year IIRC...

I honestly do not recall whether true or not 83. But i am firm in my opinion. I do not think the Qty of visits tells the tale.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:20 PM, SouthNYfan said:

Right.

I think it's to push the browns to get him.

It's pretty much accepted that darnold should get a year on the bench though...

and that fits perfectly with AJ being given his chance to be the Starter

23 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'll not here to debate who is better

My point was darnold should sit for 1 year is accepted across the board

Allen for minimum 1, maybe 2

So your assertion that the bills signed aj mccarron as a backup to use a day 1 starter would then eliminate darnold by your logic as well

That was my point

I suspect AJ is the starter till he either fulfills the dream or the Newly Drafted QB is deemed ready. and that is the plan all along.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I honestly do not recall whether true or not 83. But i am firm in my opinion. I do not think the Qty of visits tells the tale.

and that fits perfectly with AJ being given his chance to be the Starter

I suspect AJ is the starter till he either fulfills the dream or the Newly Drafted QB is deemed ready. and that is the plan all along.

Yeah.

I wonder what happens if we trade up, draft a QB high, and AJ turns into a beast??

Do we trade the young guy?

Let AJ ride it out? 

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yeah.

I wonder what happens if we trade up, draft a QB high, and AJ turns into a beast??

Let AJ ride it out? 

Sounds like the Brees/Rivers conundrum. As long as the one you hold onto doesnt flop...

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Yeah.

Let AJ ride it out? 

I will do a little dance at our good fortune to begin with.....

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Sounds like the Brees/Rivers conundrum. As long as the one you hold onto doesnt flop...

def.

although brees was coming back from a possible career ending injury, and pre-injury he never played at the level he wound up reaching in NO.

15 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I will do a little dance at our good fortune to begin with.....

me too.

i meant it would be a tough choice

• Like (+1) 1