McShay Believes "High Probability" Buffalo Ultimately Trades to #2 (For Josh Allen)

10 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

You are underselling this team. 

He comes here and he has a stable head coach and an elite running back next to him. 

That's a pretty good situation. 

No, actually I'm calling it the way I see it. He has Brian Daboll as his OC. Dave Culley as a QB coach. A defensive minded HC. Not exactly the best situation for a rookie QB needing work to step into imo. 

I have a nice grasp on what this team is...but the team doesn't help him with footwork, progressions, work on accuracy. He needs solid offensive coaching to do that. Not to mention his best trait perhaps is his ability to flick the ball 70-80 yards...and at this time we aren't exactly stacked with speed. As I said before, good kid, has a chance to succeed but imo he a square peg with a round hole here in Buffalo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I love how most GM's and Talent Evaluators have Josh Allen as the #1 or #2 QB in this Draft. Yet, people on this board think he's EJ Manuel.

I'll trust the one's doing this for a living. If they desire Allen - stop being a whiny brat and get behind the positives in his game. They ARE there.

If there’s one thing I hate, it’s people that form their own opinions. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Our QB coach is well respected. When we talk about being raw we think of mechanics mostly, but never mentally picking up an offense. 

I don't know Allen's ability to pick up an offense. I watch him play and I don't see the smartest QB decisions, but we don't know what he is being asked to do. He may be asked to do more than QBs like Mayfield and Jackson. We don't know.

He is not a QB coach, and has never played QB. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Right now, all our faith for developing a rookie QB is in Daboll. He's the only one on staff with such experience, and even that experience isnt ideal.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He is not a QB coach, and has never played QB. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Right now, all our faith for developing a rookie QB is in Daboll. He's the only one on staff with such experience, and even that experience isnt ideal.

He did play QB and coach QBs, not at the NFL level. He is a great coach. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
52 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Good information.

But do we really need another thread speculating about which QB we're going after?

Yes

4 minutes ago, 947 said:

I pray Allen goes #1 to the Browns, so we don't even have the opportunity to blow this draft.

I have been hoping we don't draft Allen as well, but some of this Matt Ryan comparison stuff I have seen floating around this board has me questioning that.

53 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Spent a lot of time watching Allen the last week. The best comparison I came up with was Cam Newton. I wonder if the Bills see the same thing. If so it's easy to understand their love for Allen with the history of the people making the pick. 

Been saying this since the 2016 season.  He is a freaking horse.  

51 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I love how most GM's and Talent Evaluators have Josh Allen as the #1 or #2 QB in this Draft. Yet, people on this board think he's EJ Manuel.

I'll trust the one's doing this for a living. If they desire Allen - stop being a whiny brat and get behind the positives in his game. They ARE there.

SMOKE SCREEN.. NOBODY has Allen #1.. NOBODY

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He did play QB and coach QBs, and not at the NFL level. He is a great coach. 

Ah yes, my bad. QB at Vandy in the 70s. Still not impressed. It's not nearly the situation guys like Prescott and Wentz came into. We'll see.

16 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I caught 20 minutes of that show yesterday and it was horrible. Beadle looked pale and aging quickly. I used to love the Mike and Mike show. ESPN can't get anything right.

They should hire a couple of hooters girls to do the MNF broadcast so atleast we get some laughs and looks in.

I made a point of watching/listening to Mike & Mike. I’m quickly learning to avoid Get Up at all costs. Bad move for Greenberg to go from being 1/2 of the show to 1/4 of the show, and I already get to much of the other 3/4. 

Oh, and Allen still scares me. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I've watched a few Youtube highlight reels and read some public scouting reports on him. 

I totally know how to judge Josh Allen's potential as a pro. 

^ This guy gets it...

Just like me, I've played enough Tecmo Super Bowl to know a good player when I seen one!!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ah yes, my bad. QB at Vandy in the 70s. Still not impressed. It's not nearly the situation guys like Prescott and Wentz came into. We'll see.

QB coach is also overrated. It's all about who you're coaching. These pro QBs have their own throwing coaches they pay.  

Edited by TheTruthHurts

52 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It seems to me that there are more than a few talent evaluator out there stating that  Allen is  Way overvalued and even bust material. So it’s not just those posters here who don’t like him. But I agree, there is something tantalizing about him . If the bills can get him at 12 I would be OK with that. I would not be OK with him trading up to get him. If they trade up it has to be for one of the other three top quarterbacks in my opinion.

If the Bills really like Josh Allen that much, I guess I'll just need to trust their judgment.

At the same time, I just can't understand why anyone would even consider him over safer prospects Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.  It logically makes no sense.

Sure, I get the concept of "upside" if Allen manages to improve things like accuracy and pocket presence.  But why take a guy with potential, over a guy like Rosen who already has refined those aspects of his game?  Darnold and Rosen have just as much upside, but a much lower chance of busting.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Imagine Cam's completion % in a pro style offense in college? Maybe 50%? Allen could have had similar stats to Cam in Malzahn's offense. 

See what I just wrote in another Allen thread- he threw the ball downfield in college.  In 2016, Brian Hill, who is now on the Bengals and took virtually every snap, and was like 2nd or 3rd in the nation in rushing, caught exactly eight passes.  Do you have any idea how much higher his completion % would have been if Brian Hill caught, say 50 passes that season?  They were not a screen pass/checkdown type of offense and he is certainly not that type of QB. 

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

QB coach is also overrated. It's all about who you're coaching. 

Cant agree at all. The situation a prospect goes into can make or break him. Rookies who get drafted by teams with a long standing, established, expert coaches always have exponentially better odds of success.

Player success/failure is not in a vacuum. Just because a guy failed going to one team doesnt necessarily mean he would have failed everywhere else. Same with success. The Browns and Bills could have broken plenty of the successful QBs that came out over the years.

Had the Bills snagged Russell Wilson, I doubt he's as successful coming into that Gailey team as he was going to Carrol who brought in specialized coaching just to prop up his QB.

Prescott, a 4th round gamble, got the luxury of going to Dallas where the HC, OC and QB Coach were not only former NFL QBs, but former COWBOY QBs. AND he had an entrenched starter with a huge football IQ to learn from. AND they were running an established offensive system that had been in place for years, so everyone was already on the same page.

Compare that to what EJ Manuel came into. First time NFL HC Marrone, first time NFL OC who was in way over his head and never played the game, no QB coach. That crap was done before it even started.

I'll grant you Culley/Daboll is better than that. But still not as good as it could be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I made a point of watching/listening to Mike & Mike. I’m quickly learning to avoid Get Up at all costs. Bad move for Greenberg to go from being 1/2 of the show to 1/4 of the show, and I already get to much of the other 3/4. 

Oh, and Allen still scares me. 

I agree. The combination of big Mike and little Mike worked perfectly. That show was promo heavy but you could listen for hours and not even notice. They were knowledgeable and entertaining. From what I saw it looked like a 4 ring circus on the new show. Who was the smart guy that thought featuring Booger McFarland was a bright idea? He was the low light when he filled in on Mike and Mike. Couldn't afford Louis Riddick? An entertaining football guy who knows his stuff? Heck I'd rather listen to Stink than Booger.

Should have never separated the Mikes. Another thumbs down for the sports network.