McShay Believes "High Probability" Buffalo Ultimately Trades to #2 (For Josh Allen)

On 4/4/2018 at 11:05 AM, TheTruthHurts said:

The big difference between Newton and Allen is the offenses they played in. Allen is more prepared to play in the NFL than Newton was. Put Allen in Malzahn's offense and he could run for 1,000 yards. 

Cam Newton also played against superior competition. Unlike Allen, he didn’t stink against playing them either. 

18 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Didn't Cam take Blinn college to a championship before returning to to 1A ball?

Cam is special playmaker, a trait Allen doesn't possess. I didn't say Allen is Cam. Watching him in and out of the pocket, his release, arm remind me of Cam. Allen is a better athlete than I thought. People compare him to Ryan Mallet, that's crazy.  Allen is a huge fluid athlete, like Cam. He doesn't have Cam's ability to make plays, it's a mindset. That's why mentally I'm turned off from Allen. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

22 hours ago, Lofton80 said:

Agree completely Wily Dog. I have a lot of faith in Beane and McDermott. Imagine they have a handle on which QB fits them. Allen has some big time skill that translates to the NFL.

Will it take some time to harness like it did for Bradshaw, Manning etc. , of course. McDermott coached up a completely turned over secondary to an elite unit, he transformed Preston Brown to the leading tackler in the league (he stunk the year before). These guys made the playoffs with guys like Yarborough, DuCasse, Deonte Thompson, Milano and Brandon Tate contributing. If they pick Allen, I support it.  

I have faith that they won't deplete our draft capital by getting in front of Jets.  None of these guys are can't miss.  I'd like them to get someone in the 6-10 range.

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Cam played with NFL prospects. You can't knock Allen for struggling vs teams far more talented at every position. 

True, but Cam played against defensive teams loaded with NFL talent as well. It really all evens itself out. Regardless of the level of play, a guy either produces or doesn’t. Allen didn’t produce on the field. He’s much like Losman at Tulane. I’m the first guy to discount National Championships and Heisman trophies as indicators of success. However, a guy still needs to be somewhat successful on the field in college. Allen was terrible in 2017. 

On 4/4/2018 at 10:49 AM, Midwest1981 said:

Even a lot of "little draft"- like NDT Scouting- has surpassed McShay & Kiper in my mind in terms of quality of scouting/evaluation and draft prognostication.  So I don't take what either say with a tremendous amount of credence or credibility.

But I just thought I'd share that McShay said on Mike Greenberg's new show "Get Up" this morning that based on conversations he's had with league executives the expectation is that ultimately Beane gets a deal done with Gettleman to move up to pick #2.  His exact characterization:  "high probability."

EDIT:  20 minutes after this post "Get Up" added the McShay/Kiper interview from this morning to its podcast:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/22943353

On McShay and Kiper's last Podcast around the 20:35 mark Todd says what he also said today:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=22956078

It isn't the trading up part that's so troubling, though I personally think the cost is astronomical and prohibitive (I'd rather move up to 6 for Baker than 2 for Allen/Rosen and sacrifice half of the draft capital we've amassed; trading up to #2 will nearly wipe us clean).  It's that Allen is allegedly the target, someone who clearly and notoriously needs major refinement and might be a full two years from capably playing at this level, if it ever occurs.

Id like to draft Mayfield too,but these teams have spies and they usually know who the other teams might be drafting.

The Jets I believe want Mayfield,I believe the Bills do as well. Being at 6 might not do it,being at 4 might not as well.

We shall see.

The cost wouldn’t be prohibitive,it may be astronomical though.

Im going to trust our management team on this one. They would know the value of the QB they desire.

Even if it’s Allen. I wouldn’t like it but I have faith in their ability to decipher.

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Cam is special playmaker, a trait Allen doesn't possess. I didn't say Allen is Cam. Watching him in and out of the pocket, his release, arm remind me of Cam. Allen is a better athlete than I thought. People compare him to Ryan Mallet, that's crazy.  Allen is a huge fluid athlete, like Cam. He doesn't have Cam's ability to make plays, it's a mindset. That's why mentally I'm turned off from Allen. 

The point is cam wasn't playing with NFL prospects at Blinn, he took a lesser program and carried them despite the talent around him.

You cant excuse a players flaws by the talent around them. You can be more understanding to their struggles, but shouldn't be an excuse.

20 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

The point is cam wasn't playing with NFL prospects at Blinn, he took a lesser program and carried them despite the talent around him.

You cant excuse a players flaws by the talent around them. You can be more understanding to their struggles, but shouldn't be an excuse.

He was playing other junior college talent. He wasn't playing vs better competition. 

Let's not get carried away, Cam was a much better prospect. I remember arguing with people who didn't want him. Allen is a version of Cam Newton. 

Statistically speaking he looks like Jake Locker. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts