ANY hit with crown of helmet - Automatic 15 yards

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22935229/nfl-institutes-rule-lowering-head-initiate-contact-helmet

ORLANDO, Fla. -- NFL owners passed an unexpected rule Tuesday that will expand penalties for helmet-to-helmet contact, one that is more significant and far-reaching than the NCAA's targeting rule.

Under the change, a player will be penalized 15 yards and potentially ejected any time he lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. It will apply to tacklers, ball carriers and even linemen, and it will take the place of a previous rule that limited the penalty to contact with the crown of the helmet.

IMO this is even bigger than the catch rule coming out of the owners meetings.

Big move, and I like it. Finally getting serious about enforcing proper tackling technique. AND it applies for offensive players too. No more helmets as weapons.

Keep your heads up, fellas

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

How the Hell do you tackle without lowering your head?

The right way. Face up. See what you're hitting, hit with your chest/shoulder, break down, slide your head, and drive through.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The right way. Face up. See what you're hitting, hit with your chest/shoulder, break down, slide your head, and drive through.

I can see a 15-yard penalty on just about every play. A guy drops his head to make a shoulder contact and it could be interpreted a million different ways. 

3 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Watch how the Seahawks teach it.

Yep. 3min in, Eyes Through the Thighs, Wrap and Squeeze, Drive for 5. Real simple. And effective!

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I can see a 15-yard penalty on just about every play. A guy drops his head to make a shoulder contact and it could be interpreted a million different ways. 

Nah, it's about using it as a weapon, as the lead point of contact. Big difference and fairly easily identifiable.

I'm not sure if you've played, so forgive me if youre experienced, but it's way easier to do it right than the modern era would lead you to believe.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Green Lightning said:

Just high school. Players now don't like the wrap up, they want to knock you off your feet. We'll see how it goes but Refs make so many bad calls now I hope they get this right. 

Yeah, thats the problem, and it's bleeding all the way down to high school level and younger. I'm sure there will be some blown, or at the very least, arguable calls. But this is something they've needed to regulate and enforce for a while now. Coaches and players had more than enough time to get themselves straight, and they've failed. Time to start penalizing and ejecting if they can't play right.

16 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

It says initiating contact with the head......

I get why they created the rule, but it really came out of nowhere and it changes the game more than they might realize. I'm sure the Shazier injury had a lot to do with this. That was a nightmare for the league and there's enough bad press about concussions.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The main issue with this in cfb is it is inconsistently applied, even with review. And the automatic ejection is very impactful to the outcome of the game. Players will need to be coached specifically to this rule. 

Yeah, there will always be human error, but I remember agreeing with ejections more often than not. And players should have been coached this way the entire time!

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The main issue with this in cfb is it is inconsistently applied, even with review. And the automatic ejection is very impactful to the outcome of the game. Players will need to be coached specifically to this rule. 

Bingo. Just making the job of the refs harder and requiring more judgement calls.

I think you will find that it isn't that difficult to see if someone has lead with his helmet. Get a few players ejected early on, and they will quickly start to realize they have to do things the right way.

The NFL needs to start ejecting the idiots, regularly, because it's about the only way they can actually enforce discipline in games. Fines after the events, are necessary, but do absolutely nothing to stop guys at the time. Getting rid of offenders, will often also deflate any toxic atmopsphere that may be building on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buddo said:

The NFL needs to start ejecting the idiots, regularly, because it's about the only way they can actually enforce discipline in games. Fines after the events, are necessary, but do absolutely nothing to stop guys at the time. Getting rid of offenders, will often also deflate any toxic atmopsphere that may be building on the field.

100% agree. 

Fines as punishment are a joke. This new rule is a half-measure, at best.

The rule should be simple and severe. Dirty hit = you're ejected. Period. If you don't want to be ejected, then either tackle your man properly — or don't. If a player was ejected  & it's determined the hit was an unintentional accident, congrats, you're not suspended for additional games. If it was clearly intentional, you're suspended minimum 3 games (without pay).

Seriously, what's the worst that would happen if they did this? Maybe there would be more missed tackles & more scoring while defenders adjust to Rugby-style tackling? Oh no! 

I' don't like adding more judgement calls by the refs (the best rule change in the last decade was getting out of the "forced out of bounds" rule and simply saying the WR must have two feet in bounds), but this rule is necessary for the long term survival of the sport.  Pee wee, high school, and college coaches need to preach and teach proper tackling technique.  Let's not hope it slows the game down too much.

As an aside, they again keep the stupid extra point rule.  Glad they didn't go to the 15 yard college pass interference rule though.

• Like (+1) 1

We're going to see goal line formations where RBs lower their head and drive into the endzone, only to get it called back and assessed a 15-yd penalty?

Can't wait for the first game to be decided on that call.

• Like (+1) 2

This is gonna be fun. Refs will DEFINITELY use this to determine the outcome of some games. It's going to be so easy to spin. Yay.

But, what's the alternative? I'll admit that I don't know. More numerous/severe suspensions might work.

I dread the possibility of reviewing numerous tackles during the game. Wasting more time.

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22935229/nfl-institutes-rule-lowering-head-initiate-contact-helmet

IMO this is even bigger than the catch rule coming out of the owners meetings.

Big move, and I like it. Finally getting serious about enforcing proper tackling technique. AND it applies for offensive players too. No more helmets as weapons.

Keep your heads up, fellas

QB sneak? 

4 hours ago, QCity said:

We're going to see goal line formations where RBs lower their head and drive into the endzone, only to get it called back and assessed a 15-yd penalty?

Can't wait for the first game to be decided on that call.

Yep and how weird is it that we can call it today; it will have a game changing affect in our game vs the Patriots. Guaranteed.

39 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Does this rule apply to NE or are they exempt as they are with offensive holding?

They are exempt, can confirm.

4 hours ago, fridge said:

I can't wait for the refs to call this pretty steady for the first 3 weeks, completely forget about it, then call it multiple times on us in a row late in the season forcing us to miss the playoffs.

Done with the NFL if this is the case.

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The problem with that is, in football it means tackling facemask to facemask, which is often seen as tackling with the crown of the helmet by referees.  I've seen dozens of flags thrown for someone tackling with good technique.

9 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Watch how the Seahawks teach it.

There is an NFL commercial featuring the Seahawks and their tackling technique, I believe it's for youth football.  The ironic part is they show clips of players....Tackling while lowering their heads....