Daniel Jeremiah's Top Ten QB Prospects of the Last Three Drafts

12 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Nonsense, if you read the forums then you know that none of these QB's this year are worth trading up for. We have a lot of draft experts that have high level business meetings so I respect their opinions

There are several good QB prospects which means there's no good QB prospects.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

There are several good QB prospects which means there's no goo QB prospects.

Oh ok. It would probably be better to wait for a year where there is only 1 good prospect because then you know they are worth trading up for. Makes sense now thanks

• Haha (+1) 2

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Daniel Jeremiah's Top Ten QB Prospects of the Last Three Drafts
1 minute ago, baskin said:

"based on draft grade"

Well...I see whoever put this together did a lot of work

It's Daniel Jeremiah; he's a former NFL personnel man and does a TON of work for the draft year-round.  He's also had offers from teams to fill front office roles; you may want to re-assess your view of his work.

• Like (+1) 2

That may be...but he did ZERO work to put this list together....FFS...anyone could have....

Just now, thebandit27 said:

It's Daniel Jeremiah; he's a former NFL personnel man and does a TON of work for the draft year-round.  He's also had offers from teams to fill front office roles; you may want to re-assess your view of his work.

21 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1) Sam Darnold, USC

2) Carson Wentz, North Dakota State

3) Josh Rosen, UCLA

4) Jared Goff, Cal

5) Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

6) Josh Allen, Wyoming

7) Deshaun Watson, Clemson

8) Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina

9) DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame

10) Paxton Lynch, Memphis

18 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Nonsense, if you read the forums then you know that none of these QB's this year are worth trading up for. We have a lot of draft experts that have high level business meetings so I respect their opinions

Obviously we know better.

Duh.

1 minute ago, baskin said:

That may be...but he did ZERO work to put this list together....FFS...anyone could have....

I thought it was quite obvious that he was basing the ranking on his pre-draft grade of each player...a grade that he puts together from hours and hours of scouting work.

Edited by thebandit27

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I thought it was quite obvious that he was basing the ranking on his pre-draft grade of each player...a grade that he puts together from hours and hours of scouting work.

Well then...what good is this list? Ryan Leaf was highly rated too....Why not publish a complete list of his pre draft evaluations compared to real NFL success to see how serious we should take his rehashed list?

• Like (+1) 2

Combining this list with the one that he wrote dating back to 2011, we can piece his top 10 from 2011-2018 together (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000647484/article/top-10-quarterback-draft-prospects-since-2011):

1. Andrew Luck

2. Cam Newton

3. Robert Griffin III

4. Jameis Winston

5. Teddy Bridgewater

6. Marcus Mariota

7. Sam Darnold

8. Carson Wentz

9. Josh Rosen

10. Jared Goff

2 minutes ago, baskin said:

Well then...what good is this list? Ryan Leaf was highly rated too....Why not publish a complete list of his pre draft evaluations compared to real NFL success to see how serious we should take his rehashed list?

Some folks might want to know how an NFL talent evaluator might stack the 2018 crop of QBs against previous classes.  It appears that you've found a way to be outraged about it.  Well done.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Lmao, he didn’t even put Mahomes on there, but Paxton Lynch is on there? I’m not the biggest fan of either but Lynch is not good. 

That makes him more credible IMO. If he would have just pretended to like everyone good and hate everyone bad (like we do here) it wouldn’t be right. I appreciate that he had some misses. DJ is good (and knows QBs). He was a QB.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

One person's opinion.   Click bait, more clicks, more money in his pocket.

It's the opinion of someone who has evaluated draft prospects for a living at the NFL level for many years.  His opinions are widely respected.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

WTF where is Jackson & Rudolph - these are all busts

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That makes him more credible IMO. If he would have just pretended to like everyone good and hate everyone bad (like we do here) it wouldn’t be right. I appreciate that he had some misses. DJ is good (and knows QBs). He was a QB.

He's also one of my favorite people in the business--an absolute class act with a great sense of humor.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Wow, interesting to see Watson below Allen.

yeah.  that is bizarre to me.  Jeremiah must think that Allen has "Cam Newton" skills or whatever the current narrative is.  Watson won a freaking National Championship, and was a main reason Clemson won.   But if based on initial draft grade, it shows how those can be skewed.  

49 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Combining this list with the one that he wrote dating back to 2011, we can piece his top 10 from 2011-2018 together (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000647484/article/top-10-quarterback-draft-prospects-since-2011):

1. Andrew Luck

2. Cam Newton

3. Robert Griffin III

4. Jameis Winston

5. Teddy Bridgewater

6. Marcus Mariota

7. Sam Darnold

8. Carson Wentz

9. Josh Rosen

10. Jared Goff

interesting...

47 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He's also one of my favorite people in the business--an absolute class act with a great sense of humor.

He's probably the one national media draft guy that I'd like to spend a day watching film with.

Maybe with Charles Davis in the background providing narration.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

1) Sam Darnold, USC

2) Carson Wentz, North Dakota State

3) Josh Rosen, UCLA

4) Jared Goff, Cal

5) Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

6) Josh Allen, Wyoming

7) Deshaun Watson, Clemson

8) Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina

9) DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame

10) Paxton Lynch, Memphis

I don't think Darnold is better then Wentz or Watson

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

Lmao, he didn’t even put Mahomes on there, but Paxton Lynch is on there? I’m not the biggest fan of either but Lynch is not good. 

This list was based on his grade of the QB's at the time of each draft.    So he gave Lynch a higher grade than Mahomes.  Where is the issue?  I can see a case made where both were close in grade at the time of the draft.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I don't think Darnold is better then Wentz or Watson

Is this how he had them graded before seeing them in the NFL? Wentz was tricky because of where he played....hard to tell...

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

This list was based on his grade of the QB's at the time of each draft.    So he gave Lynch a higher grade than Mahomes.  Where is the issue?  I can see a case made where both were close in grade at the time of the draft.

You answered my question. 

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

I'll admit, last year I had no idea Watson was going to be so good, I liked Mahomes the most and I'm embarrassed to admit it  but I really liked Mitchell Trubisky as well. :D

This is such a genuine post! I was all end on Watson last year... it's something about going to back to back National Title games facing the only team in college that resembles an NFL team. Watson was the real deal

3 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Most productive QB since 2016 draft?

A guy not on the three year list.

Hmmmm ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Prospects is the operative word. No one knows how they are going to perform in the NFL.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Wow, interesting to see Watson below Allen.

This shouldn't be very surprising. Watson was generally pegged around the 15-30 range on big boards last year; Allen is generally in the top 5-10 on big boards this year. Media scouts didn't like last year's QB class very much.

1 hour ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Christ, I must be watching the wrong Sam Darnold highlights. I just don’t see it.

The biggest things these draft type guys use to measure QB's is progression, year over year.  They want to see them correct mistakes, see a defense and make the correct throw that one expects from a pre snap read.  Accuracy, speed, are all tangible assets, but QB scouts look to answer one big huge question after the familiar measurable check off; can this kid learn, has he proven that he can.  This, is, IMO, the biggest thing teams and scouts look for in college QB prospects.  When all else is equal, it's the intangibles; things like what do they do on their free time, any history of this and that.. etc..

Guys, that haven't done well, Lynch, as an example, may check all the boxes, even the learning part, but simply got drafted by the wrong team into the wrong system.

It's not a science, but it is science-light.

Tim-