Marquise Goodwin Signs a 3-Year, $20.3M Extension with the 49ers

23 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The 'quise hate runs deep at TBD, but not with me.  Love this guy and glad to see him getting paid.  Arguably, he'd have been better than any WR on this team last year.  You go, 'quise!

No argument about that.

But were you one of those people who thought he was just another TJ Graham?   A track guy who couldn't play football?

Wrong.

He got cut A LOT of slack here because it was perceived that he was just overdrafted and it wasn't his fault that he was fragile.:doh:

He played the Bills like a fiddle...........never take guys with exceptional talent and low motivation/no love for the game with an early pick that doesn't provide enough pay incentive to make them play hard.

Marquise knew he would immediately catch on another roster for the near minimum base salary that they were paying him if he was cut by Buffalo......so he took his chances that the Bills wouldn't call his bluff and sure enough they didn't.:lol:

36 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The 'quise hate runs deep at TBD, but not with me.  Love this guy and glad to see him getting paid.  Arguably, he'd have been better than any WR on this team last year.  You go, 'quise!

I agree, one of the college teams I watch is the Long Horns. I will be overdrafting Goodwin in FF. That seems like a fair deal but I think Goodwin is going to put up some huge numbers in the next few years.

So surprised he did well. I was convinced he would never stay healthy and didn't think he was that good of a receiver even when healthy.

Just goes to show that none of us can properly evaluate our receivers until we have a QB who can throw to them.

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree, one of the college teams I watch is the Long Horns. I will be overdrafting Goodwin in FF. That seems like a fair deal but I think Goodwin is going to put up some huge numbers in the next few years.

His main problem has always been injuries. Doesn't matter how good you are if you can't get on the field. Let's see if he can keep it up.

44 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

the hate runs deep here. Period. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Bag of Milk said:

I wasn't a fan of Marquise Goodwin when he was with the Bills.

In part because at the time, I felt we drafted him too damn high!

He was inexperience as a WR and and ran such a limited route tree.... and then the constant injuries....

Props to Goodwin for working incredibly hard and securing himself a place in this league!

Yes, the Bills were a great farm system for Goodwin to grow up in.....and then he goes off to another team.  We can't be doing that w 3d round picks........If he was that good, the Bills should have resigned.  More of the mismanagement of past administrations.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Goodwin is my guess.  Matthews as a slot guy coming off injury won't command as much. 

I’m thinking Goodwin too but maybe not in terms of annual value. Matthews may be looking at like a 1 year deal. I don’t know what the value of that will be. I don’t think that he gets $10M guaranteed.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m thinking Goodwin too but maybe not in terms of annual value. Matthews may be looking at like a 1 year deal. I don’t know what the value of that will be. I don’t think that he gets $10M guaranteed.

He's worth less IMO as he needs other receivers to command attention in order for him to thrive. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

F him.  He finally decided to grow up and take his job seriously instead of dicking-around with the Olympics and lo and behold he stays healthy and produces. 

There is that whole QB things as well, just  like Robert Woods looked good this year

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

goodwin.0.0.png

I'm thinking after he got that concussion in the finale he was soon on the phone with his agent about getting his golden parachute deal a year early.B-)

Managed to parlay one offseason of actually training for football into $15M in guarantees from the Niners..........'Quise ain't ever going to have to shop at HEB again......nothin' but Whole Foods organic!:lol:

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

people ragged on him so much here. Glad to see he's gone on to productivity.

People ragged him cuz he was too worried about his track event more so than his Bills commitment.  A valid point....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

He is fundamentally a track guy who dabbles in football.

As you say, F him.

He showed promise as a football guy once he decided to make a full commitment to it.  Of course that was on his way out of Buffalo and now with another team.

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I guess somebody had to say it

I'll be that guy.  I hate it when players leave and then say or demonstrate that they didn't give it their all when they were in Buffalo. 

24 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

There is that whole QB things as well, just  like Robert Woods looked good this year

The QB doesn't affect whether he devotes himself 100% to his profession, and instead spends way more time than he should pursuing a hobby.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

He showed promise as a football guy once he decided to make a full commitment to it.  Of course that was on his way out of Buffalo and now with another team.

I'll be that guy.  I hate it when players leave and then say or demonstrate that they didn't give it their all when they were in Buffalo. 

The QB doesn't affect whether he devotes himself 100% to his profession, and instead spends way more time than he should pursuing a hobby.

I think he showed promise going back to his rookie year. He stretched defenses and even made EJ look good at times in doing so. 

I understand the frustration with his co-dedication to his track and field training, but I can't say that was simply a "hobby" for him. He was chasing a legitimate Olympic dream and I'm glad he had the full backing of the organization in that pursuit. We also could have tried to re-sign him but McDermott saw him as too much of an injury risk. Can't blame him for that, either. 

37 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Good for him.  For whatever reason he could not stay healthy in Buffalo.  Maybe it’s the placement of some of Tyrod’s passes...regardless I don’t fault the Bills for moving on from him.  Sometimes you just need a change of scenery 

The pass I suspect you're thinking of was thrown by EJ Manuel. There isn't a player in the league who wouldn't have been injured on that play given the ball placement and the angle of the defender making the hit. 

that's a fair deal for Goody.

Sets him up for life, kind of protects the Niners when he gets hurt, which is likely for all WR's especially him.

Wait until Garrapolo doesn't pan out, he's the next Matt Cassel and that salary is gonna kill the Niners structure.   Dude had one good game, the rest average at best, and one awful one (bears).

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Except Woods finished his season with less than 800 yards, just like here.  He had a couple strong games and people seem to think he had some huge year.  

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I'm struggling to think of a Bills receiver since Andre Reed that the fans have actually liked.  Moulds?  Price?  We hated Goodwin, Sammy, Hogan, and Evans.  

We loved David Nelson because he was an UDFA.

6 mil per year for a WR w 56 catches and 2 TDs? Add in the injury history and that's an outrageous contract. Stupid.

I don't have a real opinion on Marquis as a guy to root for. He was never all in with us and too focused on other stuff.

6 mil per year for a WR w 56 catches and 2 TDs? Add in the injury history and that's an outrageous contract. Stupid.

I don't have a real opinion on Marquis as a guy to root for. He was never all in with us and too focused on other stuff.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

We loved David Nelson because he was an UDFA.

That's a good one.  I'm starting to wonder if Buffalo sports fans resent well-paid athletes... I'll leave it at that for now but I suspect there's more to it.

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Stevie had some lovers and some haters.

Right - Stevie was loved until he got paid (and dropped that bomb against Pittsburgh).

Once it's time to pay them, the fans turn.

That's a good one.  I'm starting to wonder if Buffalo sports fans resent well-paid athletes... I'll leave it at that for now but I suspect there's more to it.

I'm sure that all fan bases do to an extent.  I will say, however, that I've noticed that Buffalo sports fans naturally gravitate toward the bottom-of-the-roster guys.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except Woods finished his season with less than 800 yards, just like here.  He had a couple strong games and people seem to think he had some huge year.  

Guy who works for me loves Woods, all I heard all season is what an amazing WR he is...I didn't even pay attention to his stats this year TBH

Right - Stevie was loved until he got paid (and dropped that bomb against Pittsburgh).

Once it's time to pay them, the fans turn.

Mario got paid and everyone loved him until he quit. Jack Eichel still get the love?

I see the point you're trying to make but you can't dismiss the amount of fail coming from OBD in recent years. 

I loved Dareus until he continually made a joke of himself. I was happy they drafted and paid him.

20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If the Bills had had a qb for the past several years Goodwin would still be a Bill. 

Fallacy.

Tyrod is limited but how do you explain Watkins putting up nearly 80 ypg with Tyrod in 2015?   Or Deonte Thompson landing back with Tyrod and suddenly, just a few days later,  looking like an NFL WR for the first time in his career and having by far his best season?

Good receivers put up good numbers if the QB fits their style.   Sometimes they actually get MORE opportunities with a limited passer than when the QB is excellent and distributes the ball better.   See the numbers of Josh Gordon in his big year or Nuke Hopkins basically every year with the bums he's played with at QB.

Tyrod fit Marquise style..........Goodwin just wasn't good at being an NFL WR yet.

He showed up to TC in August 2016 having not run routes or caught passes in almost a year.........he even refused to play catch in shorts during OTA's. :lol:   He showed up 15 pounds lighter than his football weight and had to battle to get thru the season and prove he could stay healthy so he didn't not only blow his Olympic dream but also kill his stated football goal of "a second contract".  After 2 years on the shelf training for the Olympics 2016 was a virtual rookie season for him.

Had he stayed in 2017 he would have likely had the same success with Tyrod.........but it's moot because he couldn't be trusted by the Bills at that point.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1