Vontae a Bill!!

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bills sign cornerback Vontae Davis, meaning he likely replaces E.J. Gaines

‘His signing apparently means the Bills will not try to re-sign free agent cornerback E.J. Gaines, a player who is expected to draw some sizable offers when free agency begins March 14. However, it also means the Bills can probably scratch cornerback off their first-round draft needs list as Davis would be a solid complement to Tre’ Davious White.’

Thanks for the post.  

I agree, this does make the Gaines decision much easier. Plus “he” (Gaines) is proned to injuries...I do hope they figure out a way to keep both;)

Edited by Schmuggs
  • Like (+1) 1

Great pickup for them. Gaines will sign elsewhere but Davis is probably an upgrade, right? I'm sure McDermott is excited to have that type of experience in his secondary. White, Davis, Hyde, Poyer...not trying to go full homer but that's easily a top seven group. 

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I'm in....if he aced his physical when he visited.

It's been said he's 100% healthy. His health was the main reason behind his fallout with Indy. He elected to have surgery on his groin while Indy wanted him to play through it all season. 

10 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

That would make only the upcoming 2nd round pick from the Rams remaining from trade of Sammy.

The pick was the main compensation in the trade. Gaines was thrown in, and as a pending UFA i doubt he was counted on as a contributor past the 2017 season. But he gave them solid play when he was out there and if he is someone they are able to keep around at a reasonable price, I think they should. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The pick was the main compensation in the trade. Gaines was thrown in, and as a pending UFA i doubt he was counted on as a contributor past the 2017 season. But he gave them solid play when he was out there and if he is someone they are able to keep around at a reasonable price, I think they should. 

Indeed. If it turns out the compensation was "2nd round pick and a corner who will help you reach the playoffs this year, then walk away in FA", I'd still take the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Indeed. If it turns out the compensation was "2nd round pick and a corner who will help you reach the playoffs this year, then walk away in FA", I'd still take the deal.

Bad trade IMO.

Watkins was primed for a huge year with Tyrod and without him the offense was pitifully out-of-balance all season.

The WR pipeline looked great in 2014........there had to be more coming........right?   Nope.     The well dried up.   The freak talents stopped coming.   Which is why a WR with Watkins #'s as a late arrival in a new offense this year is even considered as a possibility to get a $16M franchise tag.

The second round pick turned out to be pretty late......that's what happens when you make a team better by trading with them........and this draft is looking WEAK as !@#$ compared to some past years...........and now one of the Bills primary needs is a WR.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Not to mention we will pick up a fourth or fifth comp. well done FO!

Yes. And they pulled the same thing in the Darby trade. Maybe you re-sign Jmatt, maybe not. The main comp was the 3rd round pick. If you don’t re-sign him then you stack the comp pick value on the UFA.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Yes. And they pulled the same thing in the Darby trade. Maybe you re-sign Jmatt, maybe not. The main comp was the 3rd round pick. If you don’t re-sign him then you stack the comp pick value on the UFA.

This Front Office may change the connotation of “Billsy”

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bad trade IMO.

Watkins was primed for a huge year with Tyrod and without him the offense was pitifully out-of-balance all season.

The WR pipeline looked great in 2014........there had to be more coming........right?   Nope.     The well dried up.   The freak talents stopped coming.   Which is why a WR with Watkins #'s as a late arrival in a new offense this year is even considered as a possibility to get a $16M franchise tag.

The second round pick turned out to be pretty late......that's what happens when you make a team better by trading with them........and this draft is looking WEAK as !@#$ compared to some past years...........and now one of the Bills primary needs is a WR.

It was a great trade.  They got a second round pick for a player they had no intention of signing long term.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am hoping for a bunch of veteran signings.........and considering that most of the FA market is red flag talent I would be more than happy for more 1 year deals.

As I said last season..........this team was old and was going to have to stay old in 2018 to remain competitive IMO.

Losing Woods, Z.Brown, Goodwin, Gilmore, Gillislee, Watkins and Dareus was a whole lotta' young/prime age key contributors for an already older team to barf up in one offseason.

Hyde, Poyer, White, Dawkins and Milano was just A START towards replenishing the actual talent level with some youth..........it's going to take at least two more offseasons before this team can really afford to be young IMO.

Yup. When you gut a roster of almost every day 1 and day 2 pick for a 5+ year run in one offseason, it becomes that type of process. If we don’t intend to move up and NAIL the draft it could be expedited but agreed fully

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bad trade IMO.

Um, No....to all of it. It would take too long on my phone this late to go through all the issues with this post, IMO. Hopefully you can sleep well now that you got that off your chest. 

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The translation of the Darby trade was in effect trading Darby for Kelvin Benjamin. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bad trade IMO.

Please, it was a great trade and the Bills still made the playoffs.  And despite a much better QB and offensive system, Sammy's stats were underwhelming, and as a result, he's most likely going to be an UFA in a few weeks.  So the Rams traded-away a late-2nd rounder and Gaines for Sammy and when all is said and done, the Bills will still have the 2nd rounder while both Sammy and Gaines will be on other teams.  If the Bills want, they can still re-sign Gaines and could even sign Sammy.  But it appears they have moved on from both.

14 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Um, No....to all of it. It would take too long on my phone this late to go through all the issues with this post, IMO. Hopefully you can sleep well now that you got that off your chest. 

The translation of the Darby trade was in effect trading Darby for Kelvin Benjamin. 

1)  It's an opinion I've shared many times.   Nothing to get off my chest.   Also didn't like trading the 1st rounder in 2017 instead of taking a QB.........but also in real time really did not like trading it to KC when Houston was in the market to trade up.........due to either ignorance or a lack of due diligence.........that was a HUGE fail.......they'd be picking 4th instead of Cleveland.   That is an enormous difference in value.    Like probably 2 more first round picks worth of value.

The nice thing is that if you somehow get your franchise QB by design or accident in the process of making other bad decisions........... you can come out ok...........like Polian trading Marshall Faulk for a second rounder and him going on to be the NFL MVP.     Would Peyton have won more with Faulk at RB and drafting a defensive stud instead of Edgerrin James?    Maybe, but they had a decade of legit shots at winning a SB with Manning.   Can't complain too much.

2) And no.......the Bills gave up THEIR pick for KB.........and got a pick at the end of the round from Philly.     The spread is worth about a fifth rounder.   They could actually use another one of those and depending on who you speak to here comp pick level picks are GOLD.

But I was OK with that Darby trade because I think Darby is the kind of guy you can find in any draft......and I was OK with trading that pick for KB even though KB has a much lower ceiling than Watkins........and even though now there are real concerns about KB's longevity...........they had simply screwed their offense so badly with the Watkins trade they simply HAD to do something to try to get to 10 wins and make the playoffs.   As it turns out,  KB was terrible but 9 wins got it done.   

I think it's a solid signing, and at his age, the term of the deal is an extremely astute move. Too often I see teams get desperate for CB help and get railroaded into a long-term deal, only to wind up paying big CB money to a guy they have to convert to safety as he ages. I wouldn't run out and buy his jersey - he's not likely here for the long haul...

Irrespective of anything else, a really good signing.

CB, with Gaines becoming a FA, was an outright position of need for the off-season, and it isn't any more.

For sure, we are still in need there, but we no longer have to expend high level resources, to get better there, although we can if we want to.

Certainly frees up what we could do in the draft.

• SDS pinned this topic

I must say, I still think we draft a corner, because it's always a good thing but it probably won't come until later on. This secondary is really looking good with White, Davis, Hyde and Poyer, it's a great start. QB, OL, DL, if we work tirelessly on these particularly the QB position and then build from there then we'll be set.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:56 PM, horned dogs said:

I know he was a good player a couple years ago. But, it appears he turns 30 in May. Is he still a good player? Anybody?

I believe they are just trying to get some leverage with Gaines.

How is this leverage against Gaines? He's a FA

49 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

My guess is we let Gaines walk and resign Wright and Johnson to a reasonable price.  We then focus on signing Preston Brown.

I think the problem the Bills face with Preston Brown is that they might not see him as a long term answer at ML but would love to keep him on a 2 yr deal.  Preston will probably be looking for a longer term deal.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am hoping for a bunch of veteran signings.........and considering that most of the FA market is red flag talent I would be more than happy for more 1 year deals.

As I said last season..........this team was old and was going to have to stay old in 2018 to remain competitive IMO.

Losing Woods, Z.Brown, Goodwin, Gilmore, Gillislee, Watkins and Dareus was a whole lotta' young/prime age key contributors for an already older team to barf up in one offseason.

Hyde, Poyer, White, Dawkins and Milano was just A START towards replenishing the actual talent level with some youth..........it's going to take at least two more offseasons before this team can really afford to be young IMO.

I think this is right (except Goodwin... who I still say sucks).  This year they need to find some more young players in the draft who can contribute at the spots the draft is strong (interior Dline, LBer, RB, QB) but they are going to be in the market for some vets in other spots even with Davis in the door, WR, OL, CB depth, EDGE.  

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Thanks for the insight! 

Any knowledge of Jaire Alexander? I have seen a lot of mixed reviews about him but have heard some good things about his skill set and see where he might drop to the mid 3rd? (Though I have also seen him in round 1 in some places) 

I have a 3rd on him.  I am not high on this DB class beyond a couple of guys up the top so that maybe shouldn't be a surprise.  I think Alexander is a zone only guy.... but given we are a zone team I wouldn't be opposed to the Bills taking their shot. 

Bad trade IMO.

Really ... c'mon man ... 39 receptions last year for the Rams in a Sean McVay offense .. and he was "primed" for a huge year with Tyrod.  To quote another WR .. ochocinco .. child please.

Bad trade IMO.

I think now it looks like Gaines is going it devalues the trade further, as well as Gaines played in 2017.  100% agree on this WR draft.  I have one with a 1st round grade and it is a late 1st.  I have fewer in that round 2 and round 3 sweet spot than I had even last year (which hasn't looked a stellar class so far) as well.  They need to be willing to spend biggish money on one in FA on that you and I are agreed.  Just not sure they are going to. The Carolina modus operandi was cycling through draft picks and lower end FAs at the position.  

• Like (+1) 1

Gunner ... given your draft acumen .. curious for your take on deep WR sleeper ... see Anthony Mahoungo from Purdue ... 6' 3" .. watch the 2nd half of the Iowa game highlights they rotated multiple corners could not cover him and bowl game vs. Arizona .. late bloomer?  Also were you impressed by Sammy's 2018 season?

I'd much rather we draft another CB than re-sign Gaines. It would be a lot cheaper and its always sensible to draft a DB every year to keep a pipeline of them coming through. We don't have huge amount of cap space and I really don't see signing a backup CB which is what Gaines would be, is a smart priority.

Watkins, in the one of the most high powered offenses last year, whilst staying healthy, got outplayed by Cooper Kupp. The guys is always primed for a good season, he never has them. People need to stop living off hope with Watkins.

16 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Gunner ... given your draft acumen .. curious for your take on deep WR sleeper ... see Anthony Mahoungo from Purdue ... 6' 3" .. watch the 2nd half of the Iowa game highlights they rotated multiple corners could not cover him and bowl game vs. Arizona .. late bloomer?  Also were you impressed by Sammy's 2018 season?

Seen nothing of Mahoungo so can't comment.  A quick check on Draftek and Fanspeak suggests he will probably be an UDFA. I would need to watch him before I give my view though.  

I wasn't impressed with Sammy's season and I don't necessarily think he is ever going to deliver on his full potential.  However, he does have a higher upside than any of the receivers we had here and we were woefully thin at the position.  If he had been here and healthy throughout the year I suspect he'd have been our best receiver.  

Edited by GunnerBill

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think now it looks like Gaines is going it devalues the trade further, as well as Gaines played in 2017.  100% agree on this WR draft.  I have one with a 1st round grade and it is a late 1st.  I have fewer in that round 2 and round 3 sweet spot than I had even last year (which hasn't looked a stellar class so far) as well.  They need to be willing to spend biggish money on one in FA on that you and I are agreed.  Just not sure they are going to. The Carolina modus operandi was cycling through draft picks and lower end FAs at the position.  

Yeah since this looks like Gaines is gone, we basically traded Watkins and a 6th rounder for a 2nd round pick (#55?) 

I mean the question is would Watkins have stayed with us if we hadn't traded him?