Eagles Use Fake Walk Through Before SB

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/eagles-player-says-team-ran-fake-walkthrough-to-throw-off-patriots/ar-BBITwC6?li=BBnb7Kz

“I believe our whole walk-through was just a complete fake walk-through,” Lovato told “The Ron and JP Show“. “We did it at the stadium. There were certain people walking around. . . . I believe I overheard someone say a lot of the plays we were running weren’t even in the playbook for the Super Bowl.”

• Like (+1) 4

Smart move by the Eagles. 

I was really impressed with the way Pederson handled everything in that SB. His coaching and play calling, the play selection, the aggressiveness. He knew exactly how he had to play the Pats to get a win and he had his team ready to execute that plan. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's funny.  When fans talk about the Patriots cheating, they are often dismissed as conspiracy theorists.

But here is yet another example of an ACTUAL NFL TEAM taking special precautions against them breaking the rules.

Don't forget it was an ex-Patriots coach that brought this whole Spygate thing to the NFL in the first place.  It was the Colts who gave the refs a heads-up on Deflategate.  Hall of Famers Marshall Faulk and Brian Dawkins have both publicly questioned if they were cheated out of Super Bowl rings.  Not to mention the numerous players like Ray Lewis and our own Jerry Hughes have made comments about the refs being in their pocket.

• Like (+1) 11

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Fun fact; all the Patriots ' losses came to NFC East teams, just like the Bills.

I think that is partially why I get along with Eagles fans.

Philly fans yesterday: "DALLAS! SUCKS!"

Me: "I can get behind that."

Philly fans: "F**K TOM BRADY!"

Me *shouting now*: "F**K TOM BRADY!"

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Fun fact; all the Patriots ' losses came to NFC East teams, just like the Bills.

But not all Super Bowl matchups against NFC East teams resulted in losses, though.  They did beat Philly once.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

It's funny.  When fans talk about the Patriots cheating, they are often dismissed as conspiracy theorists.

But here is yet another example of an ACTUAL NFL TEAM taking special precautions against them breaking the rules.

Don't forget it was an ex-Patriots coach that brought this whole Spygate thing to the NFL in the first place.  It was the Colts who gave the refs a heads-up on Deflategate.  Hall of Famers Marshall Faulk and Brian Dawkins have both publicly questioned if they were cheated out of Super Bowl rings.  Not to mention the numerous players like Ray Lewis and our own Jerry Hughes have made comments about the refs being in their pocket.

You can add Orlando Pace to the list of Rams HOF players "still salty after all these years"

7 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was really impressed with the way Pederson handled everything in that SB. His coaching and play calling, the play selection, the aggressiveness. He knew exactly how he had to play the Pats to get a win and he had his team ready to execute that plan. 

Pederson almost acted like he'd been there before and he knew what it takes

Oh, wait

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

It's just a figment of all our imaginations.  They never cheated.  I know this because I've been told many times.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure it was in the "do your job" documentary last year the one of the Patriots staff watched the falcons warm-ups before the superbowl last year. The Patriots actually used the falcons warm up routine and what they were doing in warm ups against them during the game. I can't remember exactly what they did, but it's in the documentary. So I coukd totally see why if the eagles were doing these kind of things, the Patriots had no defense against them

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Jim McMahon & Brett Farve disagree with this fun fact.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

His plan was to surrender over 500 yards in that air and have Foles get in a shootout with Brady?

Anyway, this is what the players says in that story:

We already had our game plan set all week for the last two weeks,” Lovato said. “We had two weeks to prepare for that game. A measly walk-through the day before the game, we weren’t going to show anything to anyone, especially being at the stadium.”

Does anybody believe that any team has ever "walked through" their actual playlist in the SB stadium, which is an unsecureable space?  Isn't this what every team does?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

His plan was to surrender over 500 yards in that air and have Foles get in a shootout with Brady?

Not quite but I do think Pederson had a "must score every time we possess the ball" mentality.  And all but 1 time they did.  It takes that to beat New England in my mind.  Doesn't mean you will score on every drive but you have to have that mentality that you are going to take risks on offense and try and score.  I know the Giants beat them twice by "keeping Brady off the field and play stifling defense" but the number of teams I have seen try that and succeed in big games over the years is miniscule.  You have to attack New England's weak spot which is their defense.  

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not quite but I do think Pederson had a "must score every time we possess the ball" mentality.  And all but 1 time they did.  It takes that to beat New England in my mind.  Doesn't mean you will score on every drive but you have to have that mentality that you are going to take risks on offense and try and score.  I know the Giants beat them twice by "keeping Brady off the field and play stifling defense" but the number of teams I have seen try that and succeed in big games over the years is miniscule.  You have to attack New England's weak spot which is their defense.  

It is interesting that the first and last games of the 2017 season looked a lot alike on that side of the ball.  Aggressive offense beat a mediocre Pats* defense.  I enjoyed it, but I would be shocked if Belli doesn't make some adjustments to the roster for next season.  I would anticipate several defensive draft picks and a sixth round G who becomes an All Pro tackle by the end of the 2018 :)  

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

We already had our game plan set all week for the last two weeks,” Lovato said. “We had two weeks to prepare for that game. A measly walk-through the day before the game, we weren’t going to show anything to anyone, especially being at the stadium.”

Does anybody believe that any team has ever "walked through" their actual playlist in the SB stadium, which is an unsecureable space?  Isn't this what every team does?

Apparently the Falcons walked through their actual playbook and, surprise, NE knew exactly which plays would be called in the clutch.  I would assume same for Seattle.  No question BB knew that final play would come in before it was even called.

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I should have been more clear. I meant the offensive game plan & play calling - just the way he attacked them on offense and how aggressive he was. 

I would guess that Schwartz probably had more to do with putting the game plan together on defense. 

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Only 4 defenses allowed fewer points than NE.  And the philly D was "the best" in the NFL. 

But I agree that Pederson's aggression on playcalling was the difference ina game where neither Defense showed up to play.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Only 4 defenses allowed fewer points than NE.  And the philly D was "the best" in the NFL. 

But I agree that Pederson's aggression on playcalling was the difference ina game where neither Defense showed up to play.

Yea they are good in bend and don't break and part of that is being ahead in games so often.  It changes the way teams have to attack them.  I think you have to be aggressive and you have to get up early so that you always have that threat of being balanced on offense.  How many times have we seen the Bills run the ball effectively against them early in games and then get down to the point where they have had to abandon the run?  I think he was brave to be that aggressive with his backup QB and he was rewarded.  

34 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Apparently the Falcons walked through their actual playbook and, surprise, NE knew exactly which plays would be called in the clutch.  I would assume same for Seattle.  No question BB knew that final play would come in before it was even called.

So..."apparently" then, BB therefore KNEW he could go down 28-3 at the half, because he KNEW, from the "walkthrough", that Atlanta was going to abandon the running game in the second half with a huge lead?

You're not serious though, right?

And the Seattle play wasn't a trick play, it was a simple pick play that was poorly executed. 

Look, with a bunch of people milling about, no team is walking through their play order in broad daylight.  It would make no sense. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea they are good in bend and don't break and part of that is being ahead in games so often.  It changes the way teams have to attack them.  I think you have to be aggressive and you have to get up early so that you always have that threat of being balanced on offense.  How many times have we seen the Bills run the ball effectively against them early in games and then get down to the point where they have had to abandon the run?  I think he was brave to be that aggressive with his backup QB and he was rewarded.  

Well...his backup QB wasn't exactly EJ Manuel.  Foles, a wily vet,  torched a Minny D with 5 Pro Bowlers on it in the NFCC game. 

Smart. but not really that brave.

52 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I don't think Belichek knew that the Seahawks pass play was going to be called.  Wilson wasn't even supposed to force it in. He was supposed to throw it away if it was not wide open.  What Belichek and the Patriots players knew is that a pass interference call meant nothing so his guys were coached to be overly physical and it resulted in a turnover because Wilson forced it in.  Let's not get carried away saying he knows what play the other team is going to run.   

5 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

I don't think Belichek knew that the Seahawks pass play was going to be called.  Wilson wasn't even supposed to force it in. He was supposed to throw it away if it was not wide open.  What Belichek and the Patriots players knew is that a pass interference call meant nothing so his guys were coached to be overly physical and it resulted in a turnover because Wilson forced it in.  Let's not get carried away saying he knows what play the other team is going to run.   

It is a fact that New England practiced against that play repeatedly in the week before the Superbowl.  I don't think Belichick knew they were going to run it at that moment but he didn't call that time out for a reason.  He is one of the best readers of a game of all time.  I believe he suspected that Seattle were going to outsmart themselves and he had a gut instinct that play was coming and his team's only shot to win that game was to force a turnover.  

If we take nothing else away from watching Tony Romo call games this year, we now should understand that it IS pretty easy to "know" what the next play will be. Romo repeatedly identified the plays BEFORE they were run. So, the argument that the Patriots (or anybody else) must have known the play calls is bogus in my mind. However, the ability to understand what's coming next is based on understanding their tendencies for specific down and distances, and knowing what's in their playbook for that week. This is precisely where the Patriots cheat the system. They have spies that watch for the plays BEFORE the game, in walkthroughs and practices. That way, they narrow the list of possible choices and make the tendencies much easier to predict.

Whether they're filming them, or just watching them and reporting back. That is the cheat. Add in a little favoritism by the officials, and you have perennial contenders.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So..."apparently" then, BB therefore KNEW he could go down 28-3 at the half, because he KNEW, from the "walkthrough", that Atlanta was going to abandon the running game in the second half with a huge lead?

You're not serious though, right?

And the Seattle play wasn't a trick play, it was a simple pick play that was poorly executed. 

Look, with a bunch of people milling about, no team is walking through their play order in broad daylight.  It would make no sense. 

Well...his backup QB wasn't exactly EJ Manuel.  Foles, a wily vet,  torched a Minny D with 5 Pro Bowlers on it in the NFCC game. 

Smart. but not really that brave.

So..why exactly do you think teams do walk throughs?  Do you think this was just a silly practice ritual of allowing your players to wander around the field for a day to look for loose change?  The fact is... Teams have been doing walk throughs as a form of game preparation for years and yes, they are the real plays they intend to run during the game.  

That's why this guy was quoted as saying it was a fake walk through.  And its a headline.   Because normally, they wouldn't have to do a walk through with fake plays.     But you want to dismiss yet another form of your team cheating, because... No one really walks through their plays, so what information does your team get from it.  I guess BB just wants to watch their walk throughs because there's nothing good on TV.

The Patriots have cheated their way to 8 Super Bowl appearances and 5 wins, the league is aware of that, and teams have to adjust their routines and practices because of it.  And then people like you want to try and argue it hasn't happend, that other teams don't change their practices.... When we have a direct quote from a player saying they did just that.  Yet, I'm sure you'll conclude I'm the dillusional one here.  

• Like (+1) 2

Frank Reich in the video here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/05/malcolm-butler-benching-eagles-passing-scheme-super-bowl-52

He's talking about the trick play, Philly Special

"You come in here and you're doing your walkthrough and stuff and there's a lot of media around. So we didn't want to run it in front of a lot of people. So we're doing it in the hotel room. We're doing it in this little ballroom, like three times, just making sure ..."

Not that I doubt the Pats would take the chance, but there is another possible explanation than Pats Paranoia for a fake walkthrough at the Super Bowl. It's just in too public a place and anyone can see.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Dan said:

So..why exactly do you think teams do walk throughs?  Do you think this was just a silly practice ritual of allowing your players to wander around the field for a day to look for loose change?  The fact is... Teams have been doing walk throughs as a form of game preparation for years and yes, they are the real plays they intend to run during the game.  

That's why this guy was quoted as saying it was a fake walk through.  And its a headline.   Because normally, they wouldn't have to do a walk through with fake plays.     But you want to dismiss yet another form of your team cheating, because... No one really walks through their plays, so what information does your team get from it.  I guess BB just wants to watch their walk throughs because there's nothing good on TV.

The Patriots have cheated their way to 8 Super Bowl appearances and 5 wins, the league is aware of that, and teams have to adjust their routines and practices because of it.  And then people like you want to try and argue it hasn't happend, that other teams don't change their practices.... When we have a direct quote from a player saying they did just that.  Yet, I'm sure you'll conclude I'm the dillusional one here.  

If you are actually walking through actual plays in a building with strangers milling about, in preparation for the Super Bowl.....I don't understand why that would be done, ever. 

I'm not saying that the Eagles player is lying--he's telling the truth I have no doubt.

As the long snapper said, they had their play/plan down in the 2 weeks leading up to the SB---like every team does.  That's when they "walk through plays"--in a secured environment. He was proving the zero value of the walk through.  You think BB walks through his play book in the dome before a SB?  Of course not.

If you think that Pete Carroll or Tom Coughlin or even Kyle Shanahan were showing the choreographed play plan out in the open of the SB turf, especially after the accusations by the Rams year ago, then yes, you are delusional.

I'll make even simpler for you:  if your were a HC facing NE in a SB, would you be showing your real plays in a walk through?  Of course not!  Yet you think actual NFL HC's aren't as savvy as you are??

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you are actually walking through actual plays in a building with strangers milling about, in preparation for the Super Bowl.....I don't understand why that would be done, ever. 

I'm not saying that the Eagles player is lying--he's telling the truth I have no doubt.

As the long snapper said, they had their play/plan down in the 2 weeks leading up to the SB---like every team does.  That's when they "walk through plays"--in a secured environment. He was proving the zero value of the walk through.  You think BB walks through his play book in the dome before a SB?  Of course not.

If you think that Pete Carroll or Tom Coughlin or even Kyle Shanahan were showing the choreographed play plan out in the open of the SB turf, especially after the accusations by the Rams year ago, then yes, you are delusional.

I'll make even simpler for you:  if your were a HC facing NE in a SB, would you be showing your real plays in a walk through?  Of course not!  Yet you think actual NFL HC's aren't as savvy as you are??

So you admit that BB and New Engand would tape these practices to get an advatage.  Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

And as Dan said previously, why do a walk through at all then ? What purpose does it serve if you aren’t really doing plays you’ll use? You’d just not do the walk through. No reason to march you team out to the field just to have them wander around doing plays they’ll never use. There are much, much more effective uses of the players time leading up to a Super Bowl.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly...well said.

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

<_<

:D

5 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

But not all Super Bowl matchups against NFC East teams resulted in losses, though.  They did beat Philly once.

But we lost to Dallas twice and they lost to the Giants twice.

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Fun fact II: the NFC East is the only division where every team has won a SB.

AFC East will too after we win ours.

5 hours ago, GG said:

Jim McMahon & Brett Farve disagree with this fun fact.

True, I was thinking of the Brady years,  forgot about those.

45 minutes ago, Dan said:

So you admit that BB and New Engand would tape these practices to get an advatage.  Thank you.

Were did I say that?  I said if, since that accusation was made, Would any coach walk through any real game plan in public?  then I asked you if you would.

Just answer the question.

21 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

And as Dan said previously, why do a walk through at all then ? What purpose does it serve if you aren’t really doing plays you’ll use? You’d just not do the walk through. No reason to march you team out to the field just to have them wander around doing plays they’ll never use. There are much, much more effective uses of the players time leading up to a Super Bowl.

Well, as the Eagle's long snapper said previously--there was no purpose of the walk through.  He said they were all set with their game plan before they did their little on field show.  I'm certain this is SOP before such games.  No doubt they walked all this through privately in the weeks before the game--at their own facility, in hotel ballrooms, etc... Why wouldn't they?

If I was the coach I would this time on the field for exactly what the Eagles said they did--deception.  My point is that this is certainly not a new practice--can't be.

6 hours ago, mjt328 said:

exactly they cheat even after being repeatedly told not to for one huge reason- IT WORKS

like steroids - you dont take them for the side effects you take them because  they work

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Were did I say that?  I said if, since that accusation was made, Would any coach walk through any real game plan in public?  then I asked you if you would.

Just answer the question.

Well, as the Eagle's long snapper said previously--there was no purpose of the walk through.  He said they were all set with their game plan before they did their little on field show.  I'm certain this is SOP before such games.  No doubt they walked all this through privately in the weeks before the game--at their own facility, in hotel ballrooms, etc... Why wouldn't they?

If I was the coach I would this time on the field for exactly what the Eagles said they did--deception.  My point is that this is certainly not a new practice--can't be.

I know what the long snapper said, I get that they were trying deceive the Patriots. That’s not my point.

If this is SOP, then the Pats have to know that they are being deceived at this point. And if other teams have done it, and the Pats know it’s for deception, why do it at all? Why waste the players times? 

Unless, the Pats didn’t know they were being deceived because it has actually worked before. They've gotten real plays from it.