Colts to interview Leslie Frazier for HC

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

what typically happens is the DC takes his assistants with him and our entire defensive coaching staff would be gutted and everyone given promotions in Indy.  once again, another season with a new offensive and defensive coaching staff.  super late in the process to need to be adding new coaches

false.  we have had success on offense and defense.  we just haven't been able to put it all together

when did this last happen to a coach/OC who wasn't fired?  Who was plucked from the Bills staff and took everyone with him?

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

what typically happens is the DC takes his assistants with him and our entire defensive coaching staff would be gutted and everyone given promotions in Indy.  once again, another season with a new offensive and defensive coaching staff.  super late in the process to need to be adding new coaches

Nope.  That can't happen.  Anything lower than HC is an assistant coach job in the eyes of the league.  The Bills would not be forced to let a single other member of their staff interview for anything in Indy, even if Frazier wanted to offer one of them the DC job.  

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

when did this last happen to a coach/OC who wasn't fired?  Who was plucked from the Bills staff and took everyone with him?

The only person who left and took a couple of coaches was Pettine and they were very much "his" guys who Schwartz likely had no intention of keeping in any event.  

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

instability has plagued us throughout the drought.  it's a big issue to lose your entire defensive coaching staff this late in the process

I remember feeling this way when Pettine left for Cleveland..........it was like WTF we just made a titanic leap defensively now we gotta start over.........but Marrone shrewdly hired Schwartz and they took another step up.

The Bills D improved this year but was still not great..........and defense is McD's specialty and he just hired a favorite of his who he may have wanted to be his DC over Frazier if given the choice last year.  

Let's not forget that Frazier's rep was pretty tarnished from his time in Tampa.  I certainly wasn't excited about his hire.   I don't want to see him go because I'd like the continuity but I think what we saw last year was more McD's defense than Frazier's.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I remember feeling this way when Pettine left for Cleveland..........it was like WTF we just made a titanic leap defensively now we gotta start over.........but Marrone shrewdly hired Schwartz and they took another step up.

The Bills D improved this year but was still not great..........and defense is McD's specialty and he just hired a favorite of his who he may have wanted to be his DC over Frazier if given the choice last year.  

Let's not forget that Frazier's rep was pretty tarnished from his time in Tampa.  I certainly wasn't excited about his hire.   I don't want to see him go because I'd like the continuity but I think what we saw last year was more McD's defense than Frazier's.

Without question that's true.

And I think it follows logically that whoever the next DC would be would still be implementing and operating McDermott's scheme

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree with this.  It was definitely more McD's defense and I said that all offseason when people were on here bleating that Frazier was going to run the Dungy / Lovie / Frazier version of the Tampa 2.  It was a McDermott cover 3 defense for the most part.  Did they play some cover 2 looks? Sure they did, but that was a McDermott defensive scheme the Bills ran.  

I value the continuity too the other reason I don't want him to go is I value his character mesh with McDermott. He might not have been the greatest HC in the world himself Leslie Frazier, but he has been one before and McDermott trusts him and his personality and it would not surprise me if he had leant on him in handling certain situations during the year.  

36 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Without question that's true.

And I think it follows logically that whoever the next DC would be would still be implementing and operating McDermott's scheme

The problem is that Frazier was calling the plays. I think McD prefers to be HC only and not call plays (I ageee with that approach) so whoever replaces him will need to have that capability/experience. I could see them possibly looking at John Butler or Kris Richard, both of whom were considered last year. Pegulas interviewed Richard for HC, I believe. LB coach Bob Babich also has DC experience. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

The problem is that Frazier was calling the plays. I think McD prefers to be HC only and not call plays (I ageee with that approach) so whoever replaces him will need to have that capability/experience. I could see them possibly looking at John Butler or Kris Richard, both of whom were considered last year. Pegulas interviewed Richard for HC, I believe. 

Indeed, which is why I immediately thought that Babich would be the guy. Richard would make a lot of sense too--forgot that Seattle let him go.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed, which is why I immediately thought that Babich would be the guy. Richard would make a lot of sense too--forgot that Seattle let him go.

Richard would be an inspiring hire on the surface.......he's coming off a down year but he has that glow of the Seahawks historically significant defense on him still IMO........but it's hard to imagine McD hiring his guy John Butler and then not letting him elevate to take over and call the plays.

Imo Butler was hired to groom for DC if Frazier got a HC job next year. I don’t think McD anticipated this happening with the Colts job opening back up and Frazier getting a look now. I’m not sure he would see Butler as ready yet. but, he was interested in him last year reportedly so you never know. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 2/6/2018 at 8:03 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting.  I thought it was Rapaport fluffing for his agent.

59 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not a fan of Kris Richard. 

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

false.  we have had success on offense and defense.  we just haven't been able to put it all together

But the Indy situation is a bit different in that several offensive assistant positions have already been filled by McDaniels.

I remember after we lost Mike pettine after 2013 fans were worried, but then we got shwartz and that defense was (Imo) the best defense we've had since the Super Bowl years. If we lose Frazier I'm not overly worried. I think their is alot of room for improvement 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting.  I thought it was Rapaport fluffing for his agent.

Not a fan of Kris Richard. 

But the Indy situation is a bit different in that several offensive assistant positions have already been filled by McDaniels.

And the DC is in place as well 

One perspective to look at is from Fraziers. 

Hes obviously not the colts first choice. On top of that he probably isn't their second or third or fourth. If Frazier struggles at all (which he most likely will) I can see them firing him early in his second season. If he finishes 3-13 or below I could see them firing him after one season (kinda like the niners did to chip Kelly). 

Frazier is smart and probably realizes he won't get his first choices on staffing. He also has to change their defense over to a 4-3. He may not have Luck. That colts team also has hardly any talent.  To me, I would refuse the job if I were him. Stay in a stable coaching position and wait for a better opportunity. 

But to to be honest, I'm surprised he's even taking the interview

Edited by VaMilBill

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting that Bob LaMonte represents Frazier and Reich as well as McDaniels and Ballard. 

McDaniel's agent just fired McDaniel's yesterday.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/josh-mcdaniels-reportedly-gets-fired-by-his-agent-hours-after-spurning-colts/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mcdaniels-agent-reportedly-told-him-spurning-colts-was-the-biggest-mistake-of-his-career/

Edited by cba fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

Yep because even if McDaniels never has to work with the Colts, LaMonte does 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

Hes obviously not the colts first choice. On top of that he probably isn't their second or third or fourth. If Frazier struggles at all (which he most likely will) I can see them firing him early in his second season. If he finishes 3-13 or below I could see them firing him after one season (kinda like the niners did to chip Kelly). 

Frazier is smart and probably realizes he won't get his first choices on staffing. He also has to change their defense over to a 4-3. He may not have Luck. That colts team also has hardly any talent.  To me, I would refuse the job if I were him. Stay in a stable coaching position and wait for a better opportunity. 

5+ million a year for 5 years guaranteed vs probably less than 1.5 working for Bills? Maybe less than 1 mill from Bills??

No brainer. You take the HC job if you have a brain larger than McDaniel's. This looks like a Rooney rule interview except I think Frazier has a real chance at this job.

Personally Colts is a tough gig right now. QB ?? goofy owner. Lake of talent.

Frazier can always do a DC job if Colts job does not last.

Edited by cba fan

7 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Wasn't big on Leslie coming into last season but I'd hate replacing both coordinators in the same season. I assume they already fulfilled the Rooney Rule requirement as they had McDoofus hired.

Come on back Leslie!

Yeah they've already interviewed Kris Richard. That said, I'd think Reich be the best choice of whom they've reached out in the next group as he has a history with Luck in Indy, is offensive minded and of course coming off the Super Bowl win. That said am not sold on him myself but to me he's the best "sell the fans" candidate for the team at this point. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Wasn't big on Leslie coming into last season but I'd hate replacing both coordinators in the same season. I assume they already fulfilled the Rooney Rule requirement as they had McDoofus hired.

Come on back Leslie!

....funny/sad thing here was when McD hired Leslie, some of the TBD pundits trashed him as a "glorified DB Coach"......and now that he may leave, there's "luv"......interesting....

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you want to talk about a guy with the same demeanor as Tony Dungy...it would be Frazier.

For all the Folks who did not know Frazier before Buffalo.

He is a very respected high level Coach, by his peers.

Not much flash but steady and effective as a DC.
We should consider him a sincere candidate. Not some Rooney rule malarkey as mentioned. We might lose him.

Now lets talk about replacements.
I do not see him on the team honestly.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Always take the interview. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

When was the last time we had a DC last more than two years with us? Perry Fewell? 

Dennis Thurman lasted 2 years.  Not that he was ever really a proper DC.  Rex was calling the defense in 2015 and a combination of the brothers of doom were calling it in 2016.  However, officially Thurman was DC both years.  

More than 2 seasons... it would be Fewell, yes.  

Edited by GunnerBill