Cousins to Denver?

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But the trade deadline for the current season was back in November. 

So they can't trade him in this season, and unless they franchise him, he's a FA as soon as the new league year (and trades) are allowed March 14th.

Yeah as of today Cousins is NOT a UFA

Why on earth would a guy like Cousins want to play for the Jets? I mean really...are they going to give him that much more than anyone else and totally blow the top off the market? What is so compelling about the Jets to Cousins. Are they going to fully guarantee his contract or something? This part makes no sense to me.

If the Denver thing happens after yesterdays trade it is not a great day for the Bills IMO. We are down to Minnesota scraps and a forced move up in the draft...which BTW won't be as easy as some seem to think or a sure thing. Tyrod time?

3 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Why on earth would a guy like Cousins want to play for the Jets? I mean really...are they going to give him that much more than anyone else and totally blow the top off the market? What is so compelling about the Jets to Cousins. Are they going to fully guarantee his contract or something? This part makes no sense to me.

If the Denver thing happens after yesterdays trade it is not a great day for the Bills IMO. We are down to Minnesota scraps and a forced move up in the draft...which BTW won't be as easy as some seem to think or a sure thing. Tyrod time?

The Jets have quietly built a solid team (Although lacking in a lot of areas). The receiver group looks good with Kearse, Anderson, and Sefarian-Jenkins, the defense is viable, and the offense managed to play well with Josh McCown. There have also been rumors that they might try to get Cousins and Bell which would make that a dangerous offense.  

It's also worth noting that with rumors of the imminent collapse of the Patriots dynasty (take it for what it's worth) that there could be a potential power shift allowing for a riser. Not saying NY is a safe bet to content (even with Cousins) but I don't think they're that horrible of an option. 

And while we're discussing the options: Denver does have some supporting pieces, but they're aging and the offensive line is terrible; Jacksonville has a good young group but there's about to be a whole lot of money hungry folks in that town and they've already used a lot of cap (could be a Seahawks situation in the next 2-3 years); and Cleveland is still Cleveland (although with Cousins and all those draft picks under the leadership of Dorsey I could see them competing soon!)

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree. However it’s possible that his agent has already tested the waters of the teams that he would want to play for, if the redskins allowed him to talk to them. 

What does this mean?  So we could've allowed Gilmore or any other Free Agent we weren't going to sign to illegally negotiate with another team in February before the NFL allows free agents to talk to other teams and got compensation for it?  

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No it's not. They are not going to tie up $29M on their cap. 

The intention would never be to hold Cousins that long but rather see what the Redskins could extort without going through a transition process and in this case it may yield Talib.  Elway might be agreeable to that versus letting Cousins hit the open market in March.  Maybe the Redskins have heard whispers leading them to this move?

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree. However it’s possible that his agent has already tested the waters of the teams that he would want to play for, if the redskins allowed him to talk to them. 

That is possible.  If they've decided they want to move on from Cousins, it's not a bad thing.  But since it was your post: where does a trade and Talib come into it?

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The Jets have quietly built a solid team (Although lacking in a lot of areas). The receiver group looks good with Kearse, Anderson, and Sefarian-Jenkins, the defense is viable, and the offense managed to play well with Josh McCown. There have also been rumors that they might try to get Cousins and Bell which would make that a dangerous offense.  

It's also worth noting that with rumors of the imminent collapse of the Patriots dynasty (take it for what it's worth) that there could be a potential power shift allowing for a riser. Not saying NY is a safe bet to content (even with Cousins) but I don't think they're that horrible of an option. 

And while we're discussing the options: Denver does have some supporting pieces, but they're aging and the offensive line is terrible; Jacksonville has a good young group but there's about to be a whole lot of money hungry folks in that town and they've already used a lot of cap (could be a Seahawks situation in the next 2-3 years); and Cleveland is still Cleveland (although with Cousins and all those draft picks under the leadership of Dorsey I could see them competing soon!)

I just don't see Cousins as a NYC guy.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is possible.  If they've decided they want to move on from Cousins, it's not a bad thing.  But since it was your post: where does a trade and Talib come into it?

There is alot of dung being thrown around today and few answers!

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

The intention would never be to hold Cousins that long but rather see what the Redskins could extort without going through a transition process and in this case it may yield Talib.  Elway might be agreeable to that versus letting Cousins hit the open market in March.  Maybe the Redskins have heard whispers leading them to this move?

It's a non-issue.  If indeed a trade is agreed upon by both sides, and Cousins has an extension agreement in place with Denver, all Washington needs to do is transition tag him so that he can sign it and make himself eligible for a trade.

Once the trade is processed, he can sign his new deal with Denver.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

It's a non-issue.  If indeed a trade is agreed upon by both sides, and Cousins has an extension agreement in place with Denver, all Washington needs to do is transition tag him so that he can sign it and make himself eligible for a trade.

So you think it is fairly likely that they are talking to Elway behind the scenes and working out a deal that won't be releases until the league year starts?

52 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I thought that since Cousins was under contract last season that in turn means he is not able to negotiate until March.  I thought working trades at this point was against the spirit of the rules.  Oh well, I might learn something new today.

Your right this shouldn't be allowed at all this will open up a big can of worms the NFL should deal with this In a timely matter. Roger Goodell has to be the worst commish sports. No wonder there losing ratings like crazy.

2 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Your right this shouldn't be allowed at all this will open up a big can of worms the NFL should deal with this In a timely matter. Roger Goodell has to be the worst commish sports. No wonder there losing ratings like crazy.

Skirting the rules pays in the NFL!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mostly due to terrible QB play from Siemian, Osweiler, and Lynch. 

Perhaps.  They were last or next to the last in the league in INTs

But they had bad QB play last year, and won 4 more games, and their D fell from 4th to 22nd.  Is the D bad only because the O put them in a fix with the picks?

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

cousins and Denver agree to a long-term deal.  Washington and Denver agree to trade compensation (Talib, etc). Washington signs him to the transition tag, or to the actual deal he already worked out, trades him to Denver. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't get it.   Did the Redskins cut Cousins?   If not, he can't be talking to Denver; it violates his contract with Washington.   It's tampering.   And if they DID cut him, doesn't Denver talking to him violate the free agency rules?    What am I missing?

I've been wondering about this as well. I didn't think any of this stuff could get started until at least the beginning of the 2018 league year.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

cousins and Denver agree to a long-term deal.  Washington and Denver agree to trade compensation (Talib, etc). Washington signs him to the transition tag, or to the actual deal he already worked out, trades him to Denver. 

I don't understand why Cousins wouldn't just wait for free agency to agree to a deal?

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think it is that simple.  Going through the transition tag would mean higher compensation due Washington which the Redskins may not feel is achievable.  Also, the bidding process gets moved into the open so Elway loses control.  This is the reason I think this is being done now (if this deal can be confirmed).  Otherwise, what is the hurry as Washington could pent up demand for Cousins as time moves forward.  This is my best estimate short of mind-melding with Elway and Dan Snyder.

Edited by RochesterRob

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I guess ....but it doesn't make a lot of logical sense to me.

If Cousins is willing to shake on a deal with Denver now, and sign a new deal with Washington in order to be traded to Denver, it would mean that he really wants to play for Denver, and not wait and listen to any pitch that any other team would offer him.  Which could be true. 

But if it's true, why would Denver agree to trade Talib?  If Cousins believes that Denver is where he wants to be, then he'll sign there before or after FA, Denver has no need to give DB cookies to Snyder.

OTOH, if Denver is one of several places Cousins would like to play, then he's going to want to test the waters of FA.  In which case, Denver doing a trade to secure his services makes sense - but they can only trade for a player who signs either a new contract or a tag, and why would Cousins sign if he wants to test out FA?

It couldn't be the actual deal worked out because then the signing bonus would stay with Washington.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Mostly due to terrible QB play from Siemian, Osweiler, and Lynch. 

Tyrod looked like a franchise QB against that defense.

Their D was 28th in terms of passing TDs allowed.

They have a lot more issues than QB.  Still waiting for them to get an O line and RB.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess ....but it doesn't make a lot of logical sense to me.

If Cousins is willing to shake on a deal with Denver now, and sign a new deal with Washington in order to be traded to Denver, it would mean that he really wants to play for Denver, and not wait and listen to any pitch that any other team would offer him.  Which could be true. 

But if it's true, why would Denver agree to trade Talib?  If Cousins believes that Denver is where he wants to be, then he'll sign there before or after FA, Denver has no need to give DB cookies to Snyder.

OTOH, if Denver is one of several places Cousins would like to play, then he's going to want to test the waters of FA.  In which case, Denver doing a trade to secure his services makes sense - but they can only trade for a player who signs either a new contract or a tag, and why would Cousins sign if he wants to test out FA?

It couldn't be the actual deal worked out because then the signing bonus would stay with Washington.

I think Denver sweetens the deal now to make sure Washington follows through and doesn't start shopping around for more.

That would mean that Cleveland, the Jets and the Cardinals are the only teams that are definite to select a qb before the Bills.  The Giants may or may not.  Bills could move up to the 10 to 14 range without leveraging the future.  

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Relief from paying an aging CB about $20 million over the next 2 years?

if they cut him it's a 1 mil cap hit, if they trade him it's a 1 mil cap hit. dead cap i mean. talib could have value to another team for a mid round pick which could help the broncos

26 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

So you think it is fairly likely that they are talking to Elway behind the scenes and working out a deal that won't be releases until the league year starts?

I think it's possible that Cousins' agent was given permission to talk to other teams, and that he has the framework of a deal with Denver in place.  I also think it's possible that Denver and Washington--knowing that--agreed upon compensation.

Likely?  Meh, not sure.

16 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't think it is that simple.  Going through the transition tag would mean higher compensation due Washington which the Redskins may not feel is achievable.  Also, the bidding process gets moved into the open so Elway loses control.  This is the reason I think this is being done now (if this deal can be confirmed).  Otherwise, what is the hurry as Washington could pent up demand for Cousins as time moves forward.  This is my best estimate short of mind-melding with Elway and Dan Snyder.

Nope.  The transition tag only mandates the level of compensation if a player signs an offer sheet with a new team.  Once Cousins signs the transition tender, he is under contract and can be traded for any agreed-upon compensation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, davspo said:

That would mean that Cleveland, the Jets and the Cardinals are the only teams that are definite to select a qb before the Bills.  The Giants may or may not.  Bills could move up to the 10 to 14 range without leveraging the future.  

A first round pick on a rookie deal is cheap insurance for a team such as the Giants barring the other needs they may have.  But then who said teams have to be logical in regards to the draft.  I still think that McBeane will not bite on a trade unless somebody falls to the mid-teens but that just got a tiny bit more likely if this trade is for real.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

A sign and trade is not possible because the redskins will be on the hook for signing bonus and dead money created by it from the trade. Also, a deal of cousins size will need a signing bonus for cap purposes and to get guaranteed money up front similar to what smith just received in WASH and the other deals that QBs have signed recently. Somewhere in the 60-70 mil guaranteed at signing range. I guess DEN could fully guarantee the first 3 years of his deal but that would be insane.

My guess is DEN and WASH agreed to a trade and allowed them to talk contract with Cousins. Good for DEN as it gives them exclusive dialogue with Cousins and the fact that they are willing to give something for Cousins might really impress Cousins enough to get him on a reasonable deal.

I would think NYJ would want to get in on this too. Unless WASH is set on the player that DEN is giving up(rumored to be Talib).