Cousins to Denver?

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

So OBD again asleep at the wheel, no Smith, no Cousins, does this mean no high draft pick used on a QB either? They going to sell us Tyrod again with a late rounder? This staff is as doomed as the last decade of QB purgatory. SMH, so sick of this team with no QB. Thought we could have a long lasting staff for once, but no looking and more like the Whaley era all over again, I wonder who will be the new GM in 2020.

You're taking this QB news pretty hard, aren't you?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

You're taking this QB news pretty hard, aren't you?

Yeah, if OBD again craps the bed trying to find a real QB after decades of fail at it once again I truly think I will not renew my season tickets. I had high hopes of this new staff but to watch Tyrod again getting 3 points, no thanks I think I'll be done spending. Too many decades of fail, if it wasnt for Cinci the drought would still be active. Another OC is not going to help tyrod he will get fired like every other one. So sick of every off season they are going to find one and all we get when the season starts is other teams backups. This team is a farm club for other positions.

Edited by xRUSHx

14 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

So OBD again asleep at the wheel, no Smith, no Cousins, does this mean no high draft pick used on a QB either? 

So sick of OBD going all in on QB purgatory, will Tyrod return or some other teams backup again? Same fail different staff. They never try for one so we will never have one. 

What makes you think they won’t spend a high draft pick on a QB?

They definitely wouldn’t have spent a 1st rounder on one if they got Cousins, as they would have virtually given the franchise keys to him with a massive contract coming 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

As much as I may not want to admit it, Denver makes much more sense than Buffalo for Cousins.

Yes, they were worse than us this season, but they are barely 2 years removed from winning the Super Bowl. They have a veteran team, a lot of good, skilled playmakers on offense and a good QB could really put them over the top again (assuming their defense rebounds). 

The head coach may be a question mark at the moment, but other than that they have a whole lot going for them.

I feel that Buffalo is a team on the rise and should be looked at more favorably by free agents. But we just this year broke a 17yr playoff drought. I'm guessing that the Bills have a lot more proving to do to the rest of the league before we are really taken seriously by free agents looking to win (especially if they're not just looking to win, but win a championship). 

I think this is a typical fan reaction and doesn't reflect at all how players look at it, except for the star players nearing the end of their careers.   Those guys want a team that's poised to win it all, because they see this is their last chance.  

A guy like Cousins is deliberate and thoughtful.   He understands completely that the head coach is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the equation.      He understands that winning the Super Bowl two years ago is ancient history, and that the remnants of that teams are not enough to get to the Super Bowl.   He understands that every team is being built and rebuilt all the time  

The team that signs Cousins will sign him not because they think they'll win the Super Bowl next year, although they'd be happy if that happened.  The team that signs will do it because they think he can make them competitive for the next six to eight years.   Cousins understands exactly the same thing and is looking for the same thing: nice to win it all next season, more important to be on a team that's competitive for the next six to eight.  

He understands that the head coach, the GM, the owner and the culture are what's important.   He's seen multiple years of chaotic change in Washington, and he knows that is not what wins.   

I'm not saying Denver won't appeal to him.   Maybe Denver is his first choice.   All I'm saying is that if it is his first choice, it won't be because he thinks Denver is closer to a championship; it'll be because he believes the Denver organization is most likely to be able to compete for multiple championships.    

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Damn. 

Our QB upgrade options are quickly disappearing. Smith, Cousins, McCarren... 

I am starting to be more and more on board with a trade up for Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold. I am not seeing many options left for an upgrade at QB. But I really don't know that Beane will be willing to give up how draft to move way up for a QB, especially sitting at #21.

It is starting to look like a lot of people (including myself) may be disappointed at what the Bills roll out at QB next season. Unfortunately, this may not be a problem that the Bills can solve this year. But there is still a lot of time, so I'm not giving up hope yet by any means. 

We are just going to have to draft our long term solution. Buffalo is not a destination and probably never will be (unless we somehow turn into a true perennial super bowl contender) 

Makes passing on Mahomes and Watson last draft worse minute by minute, day by day.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Makes passing on Mahomes and Watson last draft worse minute by minute, day by day.

The past is past, but you're right.   Mahomes, Watson, Prescott, Wilson, Garappolo, Cousins and I'm probably missing a few.  THe Bills have had some woeful picks and non-picks over the past 10 years.  

All the more reason to get it right this year.  

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Looking back on that draft I dont think he trusted Whaley and the staff in place to draft a qb in rd 1.  Call it ego call it what you will, if they draft Watson or Mahomes Whaley is still the GM.  Knowing Whaley and the whole scouting department was let go something wasnt right and the trade down allows them to get a qb this year.  The Qb class this year grades as a higher class and more talented prospects.

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

Yeah, if OBD again craps the bed trying to find a real QB after decades of fail at it once again I truly think I will not renew my season tickets. I had high hopes of this new staff but to watch Tyrod again getting 3 points, no thanks I think I'll be done spending. Too many decades of fail, if it wasnt for Cinci the drought would still be active. Another OC is not going to help tyrod he will get fired like every other one. So sick of every off season they are going to find one and all we get when the season starts is other teams backups. This team is a farm club for other positions.

Then don't renew.  Get over yourself.  One unsubstantiated report about Cousins and all of a sudden it's they're not getting a QB.

Beane has said in a number of occasions a QB is a priority.  See what he does and quit looking for excuses to blindly bash them.

40 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this is a typical fan reaction and doesn't reflect at all how players look at it, except for the star players nearing the end of their careers.   Those guys want a team that's poised to win it all, because they see this is their last chance.  

A guy like Cousins is deliberate and thoughtful.   He understands completely that the head coach is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the equation.      He understands that winning the Super Bowl two years ago is ancient history, and that the remnants of that teams are not enough to get to the Super Bowl.   He understands that every team is being built and rebuilt all the time  

The team that signs Cousins will sign him not because they think they'll win the Super Bowl next year, although they'd be happy if that happened.  The team that signs will do it because they think he can make them competitive for the next six to eight years.   Cousins understands exactly the same thing and is looking for the same thing: nice to win it all next season, more important to be on a team that's competitive for the next six to eight.  

He understands that the head coach, the GM, the owner and the culture are what's important.   He's seen multiple years of chaotic change in Washington, and he knows that is not what wins.   

I'm not saying Denver won't appeal to him.   Maybe Denver is his first choice.   All I'm saying is that if it is his first choice, it won't be because he thinks Denver is closer to a championship; it'll be because he believes the Denver organization is most likely to be able to compete for multiple championships.    

Exactly.  And again I encourage everyone to read the recent article on Cousins in si.  He is all about process, and reading it all I could think was how much in sync he'd be with McD

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Giants should take heed from the drafting of Kamara and Hunt in the 3rd round last season and there's also the deep/talented 2018 RB class to consider.

You’re right, but they won’t.  Seems there are always teams willing to foolishly spend high first round picks on RBs.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

And again I encourage everyone to read the recent article on Cousins in si.  He is all about process, and reading it all I could think was how much in sync he'd be with McD

Maybe you can link to it again.  And there's an ESPN article from late last year.   If people would read these descriptions of who Cousins is, I think they will begin to see.  Cousins thinks about the game and about how to achieve success in what seems to be the same way McDermott thinks about it.   That can be a powerful combination, coach and quarterback committed to the same process to achieve success.   

3 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

So OBD again asleep at the wheel, no Smith, no Cousins, does this mean no high draft pick used on a QB either? 

So sick of OBD going all in on QB purgatory, will Tyrod return or some other teams backup again? Same fail different staff. They never try for one so we will never have one. 

Getting ahead of this one, complaining that we lost the offseason before the Super Bowl. 

Saw two that are essentially impossible but in the way outside the box curveball category that can be fun board fodder —

if you are the saints are you better off signing cousins than brees? 

Would the pats consider cousins if they win and brady surprises everyone with his retirement?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Exactly.  And again I encourage everyone to read the recent article on Cousins in si.  He is all about process, and reading it all I could think was how much in sync he'd be with McD

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Maybe you can link to it again.  And there's an ESPN article from late last year.   If people would read these descriptions of who Cousins is, I think they will begin to see.  Cousins thinks about the game and about how to achieve success in what seems to be the same way McDermott thinks about it.   That can be a powerful combination, coach and quarterback committed to the same process to achieve success.   

Here Shaw -

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/29/kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-quarterback

I agree. I have thought that same thing ever since reading that article. Seems like McD and Cousins would be a great match. They both seem to share a similar traits and belief in what it takes to win. I am really hoping that he chooses Buffalo and will continue to hope until he is signed somewhere. I'd be thrilled if he ended up here. I think he is very driven to continue getting better and although the price may be high I think it would be a good gamble to take. 

I just think Denver has more talent currently, on both sides of the ball, and probably looks like the more attractive option. Look at the weapons he would have on offense. Look at the talent they have on defense. Then compare it to Buffalo's roster. We have some pieces but we are not as talented as Denver IMO. 

Shaw - what I was saying in my previous post is that Cousins could step onto the Broncos and (again, assuming their defense rebounds) they'd basically be ready to try to make a playoff run as soon as next year, and continue to do so for the immediate future (next 3-5 years). They still have a lot of the pieces from that super bowl team and a window to win that could open right back up with a good QB.

I would love to be wrong about Denver appealing to him, and I hope that I am. I guess, as a Bills fan, am just trying to prepare myself for disappointment... 

I have thought all along that him and Smith were our best shot at an upgrade for the immediate future, and was kinda bummed when Smith went to Washington. But I'd rather have Cousins anyway, so hopefully it happens! 

If it comes down to coaching and ownership, then I think we win hands down. 

Lets just hope that McDermott and Beane get a chance to sell Cousins on their long term vision, and that he buys in. 

54 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Saw two that are essentially impossible but in the way outside the box curveball category that can be fun board fodder —

if you are the saints are you better off signing cousins than brees? 

Would the pats consider cousins if they win and brady surprises everyone with his retirement?

Man, I'd be pissed BIG TIME if Brady retired and Cousins went to New England.  

9 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

He's not under contract with Washington.  He's an unrestricted free agent.  Washington hasn't tagged him either, so they have no rights.

He is not a free agent. Contracts run for the league year.  2018 NFL League year starts March 14th.

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Or he's lieing. It's that time of year.

Lies!! Theyre def trying to slide into Cousins DMs. Talking bout that Colorodo herbal culture and selling him on the teams future. This would be the best thing for us. Gives us a trade partner and takes Cousins away from the NYJ

Breer is on the radio saying that the team which shows him "love" will have a good chance of landing him. Says the Jets are the leader in the clubhouse with the Broncos a close second. Saying the Broncos are so close to the cap that in order to sign him they may lose their identity by letting go of Talib, Wolfe, Manny, etc.

OK   Time to rehash this old article.  

Destination Cousins 

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20978049/nfl-destination-kirk-cousins-ten-teams-washington-redskins-quarterback-play-2018-free-agent-market

Why it couldn't work

The Broncos could be leery about spending big for a quarterback they don't know well. There could be more cost-effective alternatives in the veteran market, and because they're drafting so early, they could see a solution there. Cousins could see Denver as a place where Elway churns through coaches and quarterbacks whenever the on-field results fail to meet sky-high expectations.

The Cardinals could find Cousins' price tag too expensive, and it's not a sure bet that Cousins would see Arizona as a place he could win right away.

Cousins might see the Browns' ownership as even more dysfunctional than he saw the Redskins' ownership. Cleveland's 1-31 record over the past two seasons could scare him off, too. The Browns could also decide to go with a highly drafted rookie from the start. They own two of the top four picks.

Bills With a relatively new coach and GM, the Bills might want to start fresh with their own quarterback, not with a veteran from another team. Sean McDermott is a defensive-minded coach who might prefer building the roster in other areas over spending huge money for a good-not-great quarterback. Cousins also could be wary of Buffalo after the Bills benched Taylor.

JETS Cousins might not see the Jets as a team with which he can deliver on expectations. The Jets also could decide to target a quarterback with the No. 6 overall pick in the draft. That was the direction league insiders thought the Jets were heading as the 2017 season got going, but the assumption back then was that the Jets could be picking first or second overall.

Miami Coach Adam Gase might prefer what he already knows in Tannehill. There's a good chance the team would not see Cousins as a dramatic upgrade.

Jacksonville Bortles' production improved, and the team reached the AFC Championship Game. Why make an expensive play for Cousins if Bortles is ascending? Bortles actually had a higher Total QBR than Cousins in 2017, so there are no guarantees Jacksonville would see Cousins as a huge upgrade. The team could sign a veteran or use a 2018 draft choice to add competition/insurance for Bortles. Jacksonville also could have a shot at other quarterbacks.

The Vikings could be more likely to re-sign Case Keenum and/or Teddy Bridgewater. They know both players much better than they know Cousins, who figures to carry a higher price tag that could be a deterrent. Keenum outranked Cousins in Total QBR last season. A defensive-minded coach such as Mike Zimmer might not want to spend so much for a quarterback.

Giants GM Dave Gettleman has indicated that he would like to have Manning back in 2018. They could keep Manning for another year or use him as a bridge to a younger quarterback, and they have the No. 2 overall pick in the draft. The Giants also could decide Manning can function well enough to start for the next few seasons if the team upgrades its offensive line and running game while getting healthy at receiver.

The Bucs could remain committed to Winston. They also might want to funnel their financial resources toward upgrading other areas, including their pass rush.

There have been no indications, yet, that Luck's injury situation will end his career. Even if Luck's status is in question, the Colts could draft a replacement in 2018. They also might think Jacoby Brissett can be at least serviceable if given a baseline level of support.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I saw that Buffalo News is reporting that the Bills will not be pursuing Cousins at all

I think I saw DraftWire say that, but I haven't seen anything like that in TBN.

Of course, I don't really read the News, but I would think I'd have seen it linked here.

11 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I saw that Buffalo News is reporting that the Bills will not be pursuing Cousins at all

They didn’t report that. Mark Gaughan’s opinion is that he is expected to be too pricey and that he’s not a “lift a modest team in his shoulders out of mediocrity” type QB for that money. I agree with him btw but it’s just his opinion. Of course Rotoworld again makes it sound like fact. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It doesn’t say that they won’t be pursuing him at all. It says that Gaughan doesn’t expect them to. I don’t expect them to either but it’s jmo. 

People read what they want.   (yes I'm guilty of it too)  

The Bills should show interest, but state that they will not break the bank.  

To not show interest would be overlooking a way they could improve 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

To not show interest would be foolish 

If gaughan actually claimed a source at the Bills told him they wouldn’t be pursuing him, I would believe it even less, haha. Lying season. In the end it’s just his own take though. 

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

To not show interest would be overlooking a way they could improve 

Fairly cut & dry from Gaughan

It's hard to make any case for the Bills to get into the bidding for Cousins, who is expected to cost about $25 million a year. Cousins is pretty good, too, and he fits the kind of precision-passing offense the Bills like. But nothing about his history suggests he's a lift-a-modestly-talented-squad-on-his shoulders player.

One plus one doesn't always equal two. Maybe Cousins lands elsewhere. But with a 26-30-1 record, is Cousins a guy for whom the Bills want to push all their chips to the middle?

That's the path that makes sense for the Bills. Be patient. Don't gamble. Unless the guy has a giant upside, don't even think of going all in.

Just now, GG said:

Fairly cut & dry from Gaughan

It's hard to make any case for the Bills to get into the bidding for Cousins, who is expected to cost about $25 million a year. Cousins is pretty good, too, and he fits the kind of precision-passing offense the Bills like. But nothing about his history suggests he's a lift-a-modestly-talented-squad-on-his shoulders player.

One plus one doesn't always equal two. Maybe Cousins lands elsewhere. But with a 26-30-1 record, is Cousins a guy for whom the Bills want to push all their chips to the middle?

That's the path that makes sense for the Bills. Be patient. Don't gamble. Unless the guy has a giant upside, don't even think of going all in.

That's not even really true anymore what Gaughan said. With Dennison leaving the precision-passing WCO is gone.

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

That's not even really true anymore what Gaughan said. With Dennison leaving the precision-passing WCO is gone.

If Daboll runs the E-P, it has those same concepts of precision passing. It just utilizes less complexity in the plays and play calling. 

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If the Bills went after any Vet as the intended starter,  what do you think that cost would be?   $15 - $18 mil, $18 - $20 mil, $20 - $22 mil, $22 - $25 mil

It never hurts to look and see.  

Depends on what level starter you're talking about.  McCown cost under $5 millon, Tyrod is $15 million.   That's your range for a bridge.