Cousins to Denver?

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He's not an unrestricted free agent until the period ends for the Redskins to franchise him.   I think that's early March.   Until then, he is exclusively Washington property.   As others have said, he only can talk to other teams if the Redskins gave him permission, which may have happened.   However, it's interesting that if Washington gave him permission, say, a week ago, that that information didn't leak out.   

I got educated on that point myself a couple days ago.  Certainly, Washington can give Cousins and his agent permission to talk, and they can do a handshake deal to sign with Denver as soon as he becomes a FA.

What doesn't make sense in all that is the talk about Talib and a trade.

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

Maybe I am missing something, maybe someone can help me out.

The trade cant go through til the year opens correct?

Once that happens, cousins is a FA right?

How can they trade someone that is a FA?

Nothing happens officially until the new league year begins. Until then there can only be off-the-record high level business meetings to set things in place. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How can it be a sign-and-trade?  Unless Washington does franchise Cousins and he agrees to sign and be traded?

Cousins and Denver agree to a long-term deal.  Washington and Denver agree to trade compensation. Washington signs him to the deal he worked out with Denver and trades him to Denver. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I got educated on that point myself a couple days ago.  Certainly, Washington can give Cousins and his agent permission to talk, and they can do a handshake deal to sign with Denver as soon as he becomes a FA.

This makes no sense.  So any player who is a free agent come March can be traded by the team they played for last year before March? It defeats the purpose of free agency.  Unless it is some kind of quirk with players who played under the franchise tag. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Being Washington's property until March means a trade scenario exists and in this case apparently a player for player deal.  As others have said Washington must have given permission for Denver and Cousins to talk to know if the Bronco's can work a deal long term and if not just walk away.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Cousins and Denver agree to a long-term deal.  Washington and Denver agree to trade compensation. Washington signs him to the deal he worked out with Denver and trades him to Denver. 

Compensation for what?

Also, why would KC agree to this?

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Being Washington's property until March means a trade scenario exists and in this case apparently a player for player deal.  As others have said Washington must have given permission for Denver and Cousins to talk to know if the Bronco's can work a deal long term and if not just walk away.

Why would Cousins do this?

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This makes no sense.  So any player who is a free agent come March can be traded by the team they played for last year before March? It defeats the purpose of free agency.  Unless it is some kind of quirk with players who played under the franchise tag. 

Maybe the Redskins threatened to tag him and gave him the Denver avenue as a way out.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wouldnt that eliminate any signing bonus? i suppose they could make it a roster bonus but then you couldn't amortize it.

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

KC = Kirk Cousins

Why would he want to work out a deal with Denver before hitting FA?

Oh lol thought you meant Chefs. I don’t know why he would ...but maybe he knows that’s where he wants to go, they want him, he doesn’t want to go through FA, and they are going to give him the money he wants. 

I already reported on this, but the Jets and Broncos are the front runners for the Cousins sweepstakes and at least from what I've heard the Jets are willing to back up the Brinks truck big time.

If Denver does land him though it will be interesting to see what happens in the draft since they were rumored to be targeting one of the top guys (Rosen/Darnold).

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Oh lol thought you meant Chefs. I don’t know why he would ...but maybe he knows that’s where he wants to go, they want him, he doesn’t want to go through FA, and they are going to give him the money he wants. 

No worries, but this doesnt add up to me. His gamble of playing under the franchise tag for two years and not signing a long term deal has paid off and he is about to hit FA. Now hes not going to test the waters?

12 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Realistic Bills options left:

Minnesota's scraps

Move up and throw away picks

Stand pat for Manuel/Peterman style pick

Also known as Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees kind of pick.  Not sure why a fifth round flier like Peterman even factors in to the discussion.

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I already reported on this, but the Jets and Broncos are the front runners for the Cousins sweepstakes and at least from what I've heard the Jets are willing to back up the Brinks truck big time.

If Denver does land him though it will be interesting to see what happens in the draft since they were rumored to be targeting one of the top guys (Rosen/Darnold).

Talking out of your pooper is not reporting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

A FA can't be traded.  That's the point.  The team can give him permission to talk to another team and work out a contract before FA officially starts, but he can't be traded.

If a trade is involved, Washington has to franchise tag him, that's the only think I can think of

I'm surprised. Why didn't they get him last year if they wanted him? This year they had a top 5 pick to get one of the QB's in the draft. When will they ever get to draft that high again? Seems like a waste of money to sign Cousins. Unless they still plan on taking Josh Allen and think he will need 4 yrs on the bench but that seems crazy

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Bolt/Report-Broncos-to-offer-Kirk-Cousins-very-high-guaranteed-contract-114438585

There is no "DEAL" in place just a lot of hear say and click bait...

however its being reported that Denver is putting a lot of guarenteed money on the table come the time FA begins

3 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

lol.... it was common knowledge they would be the front runners for anyone that had sense or a tv..... you didn't "report" anything.

I think Cowherd is a blowhard who throws out "in the know" stuff to try and get on the radar since his ratings tanked after leaving ESPN.  Until Schefter or someone of his ilk is saying something it's BS.

Just yesterday he tried to claim credit for the Clippers trading Blake Griffin because he "had heard through sources" that Lebron is going to LA.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Skipper!!!!!  The city of Denver was named for one of Bob "Gilligan" Denver's ancestors.  I think my hunch of Bradford if healthy to the Bills may be more and more likely.

:sick:

5 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

No worries, but this doesnt add up to me. His gamble of playing under the franchise tag for two years and not signing a long term deal has paid off and he is about to hit FA. Now hes not going to test the waters?

I agree. However it’s possible that his agent has already tested the waters of the teams that he would want to play for, if the redskins allowed him to talk to them.