Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Fitz is killing it on the radio. Says the 4 years in Buffalo are his most important as a player and when he dreams of playing football he does it in a Bills jersey.

He was talking up Daboll and McD at the presser.  Think he's making his case?

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not surpising. You may not have ever heard it mentioned here, but he has Ivy League pedigree...

Haha! I know you see being facetious but I know a lot of people with Ivy League degrees who have the communication skills/personality  of a tree stump :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think if he retires now, as in puts in the paperwork, the Bills get wacked with the full money on this years salary cap.

The bean counters could lighten the blow this year to 2 m for a hit,8 in 2019.Marcel will be off the books after next year.so we would be in the hole for 8 this year and in 2019 instead of 18m for both Marcel and Eric this year.

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

Or even IR him for 2018 may work for salary cap implications. No need for Bean to rush. It is not like he is trying to do a trade or anything.....lol.

I think it would have been easier to put him on injured reserve before the public announcements that he has been medically barred from playing football. 

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Sounds like they believe that there's an avenue to gain some cap relief as long as Wood plays ball and they're transparent with the league office and NFLPA

I can't really imagine a scenario where they get any cap relief unless Wood gives money back.   This is hardly a unique situation.   Being vague without dismissing the thought is smart of Beane though.    Even bad luck is a bad look for a GM.

37 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Sal with the tough questions, McD with the "It's Eric's day, I won't get into that".  Awesome.

I really like this about McDerm.

If he does (not want to talk about it/cannot talk about it) he does not make up a canned non-accurate statement. A plus in my book.

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is my guess. I’m guessing a bit of a heated or disgruntled exchange in the moments leading to his announcement regarding the financial aspect of all of this. 

Wood stayed clear of commitment to anything regarding plans. Eluded to continued employment. Organization failed to comment in any meaningful way other than “this is Eric’s Day”.

McDermott could have said. “Eric has been such a lynchpin on this roster. And we want to make sure we make it clear, that high character guys get high character treatment”

but hey didn’t. They talked about his day, and spending his life with his family, while he talked about being an employee. These are people on very different sides of the table. 

That better not be it. Players talk. You don't screw over team staples like that, especially at the very end. First it's wrong, but secondly that's the Busch League s**** that keeps marquee Free agents from wanting to sign here

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Haha! I know you see being facetious but I know a lot of people with Ivy League degrees who have the communication skills/personality  of a tree stump :lol:

the Ivy’s I know (granted only 5 or 6) are rock solid in front of a podium... but there are always exceptions. 

Fitz though always talked to the press with the same comfort seemingly as if he were chit chatting up the ups guy on own his front lawn...  

Now if we were talking MIT... totally different ball game there 

• Haha (+1) 2

From what I gather, Wood and the team didn’t want this out there before it had to be but there was a leak and something came up with the Nflpa. The press conference was scheduled weeks ago and many had already made plans to be there plus the leak provided the day of the presser. They may have wanted to postpone it given whatever transpired with the nflpa but decided to go ahead and do it, but clearly something changed. 

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Regarding Sal's quote and the NFLPA..Beane just said Eric had to take a call from his agent as part of the reason for the dealy..hmm

Ah that makes sense 

He'll get paid and the Bills will get the best deal they can on the salary cap logisitics. It's pretty simple. They can't force him to pay them back or forego guaranteed money because he was very obviously forced out because of injury. The team doctors barred him from playing again! It's pretty simple. 

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

So he want to be offered a future career in the Bills organization at a reasonable level  and he is open to talks about the money involved? I like going out on limbs.

You can keep your full salary but we're gonna need to to intern for free for the next 15-20 years, deal?

48 minutes ago, eball said:

Irrelevant.  If they do something sneaky to avoid a big cap hit they'll need to have "evidence" that retirement wasn't the only option.

They really don't have to do anything particularly sneaky.  There are alternative treatments and all kinds of diversity of medical opinions for all conditions.  Alex Guerrero would fix this with green drinks and avocado ice cream.  

If the team feels a player should retire and the player doesn't want to, it's allowed to keep them on IR while it sorts out with different treatments and medical consults

There is obviously some type of legal technicality going on, revolving around money.

Who is going to pay it?  How much?  That type of thing.

None of this really impacts the average Bills fan.  Wood's career is over and he's done.

Some sort of CBA related technicality is holding things up for the moment, but it really doesn't matter. 

At least from a fan's perspective. 

Really pissed at the Bills. They botched this. This was so disrespectful to Wood. 

What got ****** up today is on the Bills. They should have gotten there ducks in a row on this with Wood a week ago at least. 

Today was was supposed to be a celebration of Eric’s career. And the Bills ****** that up. 

What a **** show. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

Really pissed at the Bills. They botched this. This was so disrespectful to Wood. 

What got ****** up today is on the Bills. They should have gotten there ducks in a row on this with Wood a week ago at least. 

Today was was supposed to be a celebration of Eric’s career. And the Bills ****** that up. 

What a **** show. 

Why was today supposed to be a celebration of his career?

A press conference, in the first place, was a stupid idea.

It's football.  A player got hurt.  He can't play anymore.  Replace him and move on.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

Youre clearly a champion of the “Tide pod challenge” aren’t you?

Said the guy who thinks that a press conference about an injury-related retirement is supposed to be a celebration ....

35 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Fitz is killing it on the radio. Says the 4 years in Buffalo are his most important as a player and when he dreams of playing football he does it in a Bills jersey.

If the Bills are going to go the low end vet and trade up for a top 5 pick QB then I don't think it is at all beyond the realm of possibility that we see Fitz back as the backup / bridge. The ownership, whole FO and coaching staff that cut him is long gone. 

• Like (+1) 1