Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

And there you have it...lots of smokescreens coming from Wood and Beane so they can figure out -- together -- how to make this work out best for both Wood and the Bills.

It's smart, and shows how loyal Wood is to the organization.  Lots of players would have just said, "eff it" and retired.

6 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

If he's still on the roster, can he go on IR rather than retiring and does that change the cap hit?

I worked this out in answer to another question.  It saves the Bills about $2M against the cap this year and (I think) costs the Bills an extra $4.275M of bonus (this year) and salary (2019).  Cap hit this year $8.6M instead of $10.4.

• Thank you (+1) 1

You see, folks, the Bills and Wood need to make it seem as though there is still a chance for him to play if they are going to play games with the cap.  It's really smart, and funny how the media haven't caught on...yet.

8 minutes ago, garybusey said:

So...

The press conference happens 55 minutes late and then proceeds to last for less than 5 minutes.

Wood takes no questions.

Beane doesn't talk.

McD doesn't talk.

Yet Wood asked that some current and former players show up to be there because it's so important to him?

Something's fishy...

Yep it’s just one big conspiracy 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I hope our local journalists are on the case to find out what’s up! Anyone think he has decided to seek other opinions?

I think it's possible he got another opinion that says he can play.  And the Bills are worried he will severely injure himself.   That's the only reason I can think of for the odd press-conference.  Something happened last-minute that caught everyone off guard.  It could be that Wood is considering the second opinion while also working out how to restructure in case he either retires now and/or is injured at a later time.  

Just now, K-9 said:

He sustains the first two stingers of his career in a short time span in mid season and they are content with an X-ray vs. the more detailed and revealing MRI received post season? Hmm. 

Good question.  Must be one of those "to be answered at a later date" questions.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

I think you need to update the thread title ;)

Retirement should be in quotes, at a minimum.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fitz coming on WGR right now ... probably announcing his upcoming signing with the Bills. 

I just had a light bulb moment where I wondered if he could be talking to Daboll about possibly some kind of coaching assistant position.

Fitz is an E-P guy, years of playing in the system.  He might not have the physical tools to get 'er done at QB but he's got the mind, if Daboll and he would get on and he wants to go that route.

• Like (+1) 2

but he flat out said no amount of rehab, surgery or recovery would heal the injury, sounds like he knows he can't play anymore

1 minute ago, eball said:

You see, folks, the Bills and Wood need to make it seem as though there is still a chance for him to play if they are going to play games with the cap.  It's really smart, and funny how the media haven't caught on...yet.

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I think it's possible he got another opinion that says he can play.  And the Bills are worried he will severely injure himself.   That's the only reason I can think of for the odd press-conference.  Something happened last-minute that caught everyone off guard.  It could be that Wood is considering the second opinion while also working out how to restructure in case he either retires now and/or is injured at a later time.  

I cannot believe there is anyway in hell Eric is considering playing football again..

Just now, eball said:

In public statements, he has been medically barred from playing. Literally not cleared. Hard to play games with the league given that declaration. 

19 minutes ago, eball said:

When was the kid born?  Before or after the playoff game?

Like a week after I think. He was on wgr a few days after the jags game saying he was going to Louisville in a couple days for the birth. 

Edit: John Murphy just said 4 days after playoff game

Edited by Not at the table Karlos