Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't know if that's fair.  But he should have been able to figure out this wasn't the time to speak.

Emotions, Lawyers, Doctors, Employers, The Press, Unions...a veritable retirement party.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Emotions, Lawyers, Doctors, Employers, The Press, Unions...a veritable retirement party.

True, but none of this (the cap ramifications and bonus stuff) was unknown.  It had to be very well understood as soon as Wood knew he was done.  Why allow your friends and family to travel to this event when you know it won't be as advertised?

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

True, but none of this (the cap ramifications and bonus stuff) was unknown.  It had to be very well understood as soon as Wood knew he was done.  Why allow your friends and family to travel to this event when you know it won't be as advertised?

Good question. I don't have the answer or a fly on the wall.

4 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Look, you might be a nice guy, maybe if we were neighbors we’d get along well. But to me you’re just ‘an internet person.’ Internet people do things every day people don’t do. Like I’ve discussed politics and or football in a casual environment with people I don’t know and it’s typically pretty nice. Internet people though call you Hitler and state that you’re uneducated if you have a typeo or a grammatical error.....so, I don’t care about your opinion about me because you’re an internet person. That’s all you are to me and I should be nothing more to you. However, as a dude that lives in Atlanta I like checking in here and occasionally commenting because otherwise I wouldn’t know what Bills fans think. I don’t know any Bills fans where I live so to keep the pulse of the fan base I come here. So, I’m interested to see what people say about the Bills, but if somebody doesn’t like me I promise I won’t cry into my whiskey tonight. 

Fair enough.  I acknowledge I'm not everyone's teacup and I don't worry about it.  And crying into whiskey is a terrible thing to do to good malt.

I know there's this weird thing on the Interwebs where yeah, people feel that because they're not eyeball to eyeball with someone, there's not a real person at the other end so it's OK to call them "Hitler" or behave like a d*ck, who cares, it's just the internet.  That sort of seems like what you're saying?

To me, you're still a person with thoughts (maybe wrongheaded ones) and feelings, and the screen doesn't change that, and I'm not going to be a jerk to you any more than I'd be a jerk to my neighbor or a guy in the parking lot at Target, nor will I stress if you don't like me any more than I stress if my neighbor or the guy in the parking lot at Target don't.  But I do get that plenty of folks feel this weird sense of disconnection from the humanity of people on the receiving end of electrons.

Anyway thanks for the explanation.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm going to take a leap here that at the point where the event was known to not be as advertised, people had plane and hotel reservations, and there may have been some kind of dinner or "roast" or celebrations afterwards - the presser may have been the visible tip of a big iceberg.

Could it have been handled more gracefully, Absolutely.

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Media seems sour on this. Have Bills clamped down so much, media isn’t happy? 

Meh.  If you're a reporter, a press conference is like your "ice cream social", a one-stop shop for stories and info.  Media is sour because they showed up expecting free Perry's with fudge sauce, and stale tic-tacs got served.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair enough.  I acknowledge I'm not everyone's teacup and I don't worry about it.  And crying into whiskey is a terrible thing to do to good malt.

I know there's this weird thing on the Interwebs where yeah, people feel that because they're not eyeball to eyeball with someone, there's not a real person at the other end so it's OK to call them "Hitler" or behave like a d*ck, who cares, it's just the internet.  That sort of seems like what you're saying?

To me, you're still a person with thoughts (maybe wrongheaded ones) and feelings, and the screen doesn't change that, and I'm not going to be a jerk to you any more than I'd be a jerk to my neighbor or a guy in the parking lot at Target, nor will I stress if you don't like me any more than I stress if my neighbor or the guy in the parking lot at Target don't.  But I do get that plenty of folks feel this weird sense of disconnection from the humanity of people on the receiving end of electrons.

Anyway thanks for the explanation.

I'm going to take a leap here that at the point where the event was known to not be as advertised, people had plane and hotel reservations, and there may have been some kind of dinner or "roast" or celebrations afterwards - the presser may have been the visible tip of a big iceberg.

Could it have been handled more gracefully, Absolutely.

Meh.  If you're a reporter, a press conference is like your "ice cream social", a one-stop shop for stories and info.  Media is sour because they showed up expecting free Perry's with fudge sauce, and stale tic-tacs got served.

Just seems like they are looking for something to be upset with... 

5 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Look, you might be a nice guy, maybe if we were neighbors we’d get along well. But to me you’re just ‘an internet person.’ Internet people do things every day people don’t do. Like I’ve discussed politics and or football in a casual environment with people I don’t know and it’s typically pretty nice. Internet people though call you Hitler and state that you’re uneducated if you have a typeo or a grammatical error.....so, I don’t care about your opinion about me because you’re an internet person. That’s all you are to me and I should be nothing more to you. However, as a dude that lives in Atlanta I like checking in here and occasionally commenting because otherwise I wouldn’t know what Bills fans think. I don’t know any Bills fans where I live so to keep the pulse of the fan base I come here. So, I’m interested to see what people say about the Bills, but if somebody doesn’t like me I promise I won’t cry into my whiskey tonight. 

If someone talks politics to me in person, I just let them go on and on or egg them on to the point they take a ridiculous position.

Then I wait for them to leave and call them Hitler. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Finally got a chance to watch Wood's statement and read through the thread.

What a weird and awkward presentation.

Both sides knew about this for a couple of weeks, and I find it strange that a few specific words spoken in a press conference could have such a definite affect on the teams money situation.

If Wood got up and said "I'm no longer medically cleared to play football and will be retiring in the near future after some details have been worked out", what's so wrong with that? It leaves it pretty open-ended and allows him to make a definitive statement that he has played his last down.

It amazes me that this couldnt be worked out ahead of time.

To me, it's just another example of how this franchise cant help but get in its own way. So Billsy.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Finally got a chance to watch Wood's statement and read through the thread.

What a weird and awkward presentation.

Both sides knew about this for a couple of weeks, and I find it strange that a few specific words spoken in a press conference could have such a definite affect on the teams money situation.

If Wood got up and said "I'm no longer medically cleared to play football and will be retiring in the near future after some details have been worked out", what's so wrong with that? It leaves it pretty open-ended and allows him to make a definitive statement that he has played his last down.

It amazes me that this couldnt be worked out ahead of time.

To me, it's just another example of how this franchise cant help but get in its own way. So Billsy.

Well, I'm sure it can. 

I'm assuming you're not a lawyer and that Eric's agent did discuss with a lawyer, hence the specific language used.  The fact he did say "will be", etc. wasn't by accident...

As has been stated about 135 times in this thread, this seems like it was an issue on both sides, so not sure how it's "So Billsy" or how the "franchise can't help but get out of it's own way." o_O

3 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Well, I'm sure it can. 

I'm assuming you're not a lawyer and that Eric's agent did discuss with a lawyer, hence the specific language used.  The fact he did say "will be", etc. wasn't by accident...

As has been stated about 135 times in this thread, this seems like it was an issue on both sides, so not sure how it's "So Billsy" or how the "franchise can't help but get out of it's own way." o_O

But I thought the whole issue is the Bills dont want him to officially retire right now because they cant afford the cap hit. So if the Bills are on the same page and arent going to force him to retire, and Eric is in no hurry... what's the problem?

It's Billsy because this should have/could have been discussed and settled in a meeting over those 2 weeks, but which it seems didnt occur until 10 minutes before Wood was set to take the stage. And then seemingly left a bad taste in Wood's mouth.

All in all, it's not a huge deal. But cmon...

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But I thought the whole issue is the Bills dont want him to officially retire right now because they cant afford the cap hit. So if the Bills are on the same page and arent going to force him to retire, and Eric is in no hurry... what's the problem?

It's Billsy because this should have/could have been discussed and settled in a meeting over those 2 weeks, but which it seems didnt occur until 10 minutes before Wood was set to take the stage. And then seemingly left a bad taste in Wood's mouth.

All in all, it's not a huge deal. But cmon...

That's at least a part of it (there's a question about whether they want him to repay his unamortized signing bonus).  But it's on Eric and/or (mostly) his agent for foolishly thinking that he could retire and stick the Bills with a $14M cap hit in 2017. 

• SDS unpinned this topic