Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

As others have already said, this "press conference" debacle is all on Wood.

He should have canceled or postponed it until he had more time to make an announcement that actually made sense.

From what I have read, this is my take.  And I would go beyond Wood and point the finger at his agent and those advising him.  They should have been able to tell him all the implications of this much earlier than right before the press conference.  

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Read Wawrow's tweets. The reason this was an abortion was Wood, NOT the Bills.

He didn't think through the consequences of announcing retirement, and called the press conference too soon. His agent called him like an hour before, and told him not to officially retire. So walk back the panic, and focus on the REAL issue here, mkay?

I know that's the truth from what I've read, but it doesn't feel like the truth to me... 

Please re-explain the situation, but THIS TIME picture me in a tinfoil hat and position the Bills as the bad guys.  Now THAT'S a truth I can believe... :D:beer: 

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

I know that's the truth from what I've read, but it doesn't feel like the truth to me... 

Please re-explain the situation, but THIS TIME picture me in a tinfoil hat and position the Bills as the bad guys.  Now THAT'S a truth I can believe... :D:beer: 

You need to post more often

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

OKay, it's 4:30 AM and I read through the last half of the thread  fairly quickly..but

1) Was so relieved to see PTR in here praising the Bills for EVERY move and calling Bills fans Negative Nancy's and whiners again, Think it may have been since New Years day we had a patented PTR post, thank goodness we got it in before January expired. 

2) Unless I missed it, we are devoid of counterbalancing post from Scott Law claiming this is further evidence of how McBeane are total idiots,  every decision they make is a joke, and for some reason, if Sammy was still on the team Eric would still be playing

Is that what you got out of this? Praising the Bills? Wow. What I read was there was no clear indication what happened exactly. So you're mad that I said that instead of grabbing a pitchfork and railing for heads to roll over...over whatever this was? Maybe you want to call Wawrow a Pollyanna too?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

As others have already said, this "press conference" debacle is all on Wood.

He should have canceled or postponed it until he had more time to make an announcement that actually made sense.

I agree, but I suppose that no one has ever mistaken Wood for an intellectual. 

2 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I agree, but I suppose that no one has ever mistaken Wood for an intellectual. 

Thats what agents are for. There was no reason to a) rush to have a PC before the 2017 season was over and b) expect to retire immediately after having the PC without considering the ramifications for the team. 

19 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Yep... that is where the blame should be placed if you ask me.  Agent should have been aware of the ramifications and put the brakes on this much sooner.

It seems so odd needing to do a PC so hurriedly that it makes me wonder if there were ulterior motives on the agent's part. 

46 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Winning

Just now, Doc said:

It seems so odd needing to do a PC so hurriedly that it makes me wonder if there were ulterior motives on the agent's part. 

I don't think so. I think the explanation earlier this thread makes sense. That this issue cropped up too late to cancel the event, with so  many ex-players making the trip up.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is that what you got out of this? Praising the Bills? Wow. What I read was there was no clear indication what happened exactly. So you're mad that I said that instead of grabbing a pitchfork and railing for heads to roll over...over whatever this was? Maybe you want to call Wawrow a Pollyanna too?

cmon PTR, your first instinct is to defend the Bills at all costs, and say any fan that criticizes or questions them is a "negative nancy" or some such label. Its okay, just own it and have fun with it!:beer:

20 hours ago, eball said:

Some of you are morons.  Of course he didn't learn of the issue before the playoffs.  He learned of it in his SEASON-ENDING physical that was after the game and right before his son was born.

I resemble that remark.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The_Dude said:

‘Why would a guy talk football?’ Oh my god. Really? Because I enjoy talking football some times. 

Well, yeah but ...

Why would you want to talk football with folks whose opinion you don't care about?  I mean, when I want to talk football at the office, I don't seek out the local Plushass Patriots Pundit who really doesn't know a push-off from a hold or zone from man.  I look for someone who knows something.  When someone knows something I generally respect them.

It's really idle curiousity here, I've read your sentiment before and it puzzles me every time.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think so. I think the explanation earlier this thread makes sense. That this issue cropped up too late to cancel the event, with so  many ex-players making the trip up.

No that part I get.  I just don't know why there was a rush to do a PC at all, much less before the season ended.  And the agent doesn't know that a $14M cap hit for 2017 isn't too much for a team to absorb?  Come on. 

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

Wood probably thought he needed to get it in before the Super Bowl and told his friends/family to show up Monday. 

Next week, nobody will care about football until the combine...

13 hours ago, Doc said:

I can't ever recall another player retiring prior to the end of the league year before.  It's as if Wood expected to file retirement papers tomorrow and that would be the end of it.  That's not the team's fault.

This has to be one of the better observations I've seen. 

One thing that pops to my mind, which might explain him wanting out quickly, was that he wants to start his next career ASAP. Maybe he's got some ins to become an ass't coach in college or the pros, and just wanted to move on. 

I can imagine that it was a very innocent situation - the team gave Wood the time to settle his feelings about his health/career, he assumed because the team said nothing that it was merely a couple signatures and a goodbye presser. Then when they started talking about "business" at a function that should have mostly been about the closing of a chapter of a loyal player, that made everything different.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

cmon PTR, your first instinct is to defend the Bills at all costs, and say any fan that criticizes or questions them is a "negative nancy" or some such label. Its okay, just own it and have fun with it!:beer:

I do tend to do that, but only to balance out the pitchfork and torch reactions the other way. I don't think I was wrong here to hold back. In fact many jumped to the wrong conclusion that the Bills were trying to pull a "Ralph Wilson-Wade Phillips-move" here when all it was was making sure they did right by the cap.

53 minutes ago, Doc said:

No that part I get.  I just don't know why there was a rush to do a PC at all, much less before the season ended.  And the agent doesn't know that a $14M cap hit for 2017 isn't too much for a team to absorb?  Come on. 

And yet it happened.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I do tend to do that, but only to balance out the pitchfork and torch reactions the other way. I don't think I was wrong here to hold back. In fact many jumped to the wrong conclusion that the Bills were trying to pull a "Ralph Wilson-Wade Phillips-move" here 

Agree on this, all in good fun?