Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

56 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So take this with a grain of salt, listening to WGR and Schopp and bulldog were talking about how Wood was angry during his presser.  Just me but at what point in that less than 2 minute speech was he visibly angry?  I must have missed something.

When I saw his facial expression, I though "no sh**, that's what the DTs across from him see every Sunday" vs his normal "evil Santa" curly-haired grin

I think he held it in while he was giving his 2 minute speech but yeah, I think he was angry.

Normally, even keeled guy, deals with media even after a tough loss, wouldn't answer media questions?  Yeah.

In addition to the tweet Yolo posted:

@john_wawrow

Understand the entire situation changed about 15 minutes before Wood's news conference was set to begin with Wood balking at saying anything but his statement.

@john_wawrow

Wood is the one who asked for the news conference in the first place. And it was tough to turn back at 11th hour.

@john_wawrow

That Wood and/or his representatives didn't realize the implications of him holding a "retirement" news conference at this early of a date is on them.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

It's more than 3 million.  Right now it is 10.39 milliion.  If they don't have to pay the 4.33 million for the bonus, they than can split the 4.8 million between the 2 years with post june 1st cut.

2018: 2.4 million from salary and 1.26 million in dead money from last restructure.  3.66 total

2019: 2.4 million from salary.

Would save Bills 6.73 million this year.  Thats a really good player or a bunch of depth.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/1/26/16936636/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-ramifications-of-eric-wood-retirement-for-neck-injury

...isn't it incumbent on Beane as part of his job to explore all options regarding how this transaction should be handled in the mutual best interest of the club?...OR....would you prefer to see the top FA of your choice being imminently ready to sign with Bflo only to find out cap room won't fit because Beane FAILED to do his due diligence?...pick your poison.......it IS a business.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

@john_wawrow

That Wood and/or his representatives didn't realize the implications of him holding a "retirement" news conference at this early of a date is on them.

@john_wawrow

That the #Bills agreed to hosting such an extravaganza is on them without receiving assurances is on them.

Meh, that doesn't feel very satisfying - my pitchfork will remain lit until we get the bottom of this!  Must place blame!

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

It's more than 3 million.  Right now it is 10.39 milliion.  If they don't have to pay the 4.33 million for the bonus, they than can split the 4.8 million between the 2 years with post june 1st cut.

2018: 2.4 million from salary and 1.26 million in dead money from last restructure.  3.66 total

2019: 2.4 million from salary.

Would save Bills 6.73 million this year.  Thats a really good player or a bunch of depth.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/1/26/16936636/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-ramifications-of-eric-wood-retirement-for-neck-injury

I think Buff Rumblings may be missing something.

Normally a player's salary is guaranteed for injury for the subsequent season to that in which he's injured.

Wood injured during 2017 season and medically retired -> 2018 salary guaranteed for injury

If Bills say he's a post-June 1 cut (ie into the 2018 season) cut -> does his 2019 salary become guaranteed for injury?  Hmmmmm.

In any case, cut players who are released normally don't pay back the bonus AND receive any salary that is guaranteed to them.

Bills say "Congratulations on your retirement, Pay back your bonus" Wood says "Nope, not retiring then.  IR me then Cut me."

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

10 minutes ago, Heitz said:

@john_wawrow

@john_wawrow

That the #Bills agreed to hosting such an extravaganza without receiving assurances is on them.

Meh, that doesn't feel very satisfying - my pitchfork will remain lit until we get the bottom of this!  Must place blame!

It was very "Bill-sy"

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

What are the options to retirement if he is not cleared to play due to an irreparable medical condition that precludes him from doing so?

I feel they asked him to reduce the cap hit shortly before the show. His body language might be worth noticing.
And perhaps that is why he suggested he would still be around.

i hope this does not turn into a corporate maneuver.

Can we just do this gracefully New Guys, Beanes bean counters.
Hope this turns out for the best all around.

Hokay, so Matt Fairburn is reporting something slightly different that aligns with something Beane said about "we don't have any cap space right now".

The Bills already rolled over their 2017 cap!

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/01/everything_buffalo_bills_eric_wood_said_at_his_retirement_press_conference.html

"Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott later discussed some of what complicated this day. It has to due with the salary cap implications that come with Wood's retirement. The Bills have already rolled over their 2017 salary cap space, so Wood will remain on the roster until the organization can figure out how to handle the situation. At some point, Wood will receive his $4.8 million salary that is guaranteed for injury in 2018. He will also keep the signing bonus money he's already been paid. "

According to this, it is NOT a tussle over who gets the bonus money - it's an NFL procedural thing where the Bills have no cap space at present - Beane actually said "we have no cap space right now".

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Bills are going to go the low end vet and trade up for a top 5 pick QB then I don't think it is at all beyond the realm of possibility that we see Fitz back as the backup / bridge. The ownership, whole FO and coaching staff that cut him is long gone. 

asst Qb Coach  perhaps ?