Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

54 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think he found out that the team wants him to either forfeit the 2018 guaranteed salary or pay back the $4.3M in unamortized bonus, which they are entitled to do and would help with the cap hit for next year.

Um, no, I don't think the team is entitled to do that.

If Wood voluntarily retires -> yes the team can require him to pay back the prorated bonus for 2018 and 2019, and he would not receive 2018 salary

If Wood is forced to retire for medical reasons -> no such provision.  

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  I've seen saying he either gets to keep the bonus money or gets the 2018 salary guarantee. 

Not settled, but it will eventually get worked out. From Wawrow's AP article:

"According to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, teams can ask for a portion of bonus money to be returned if a player retires before his contract expires. There is, however, a gray area if a player retires because of a career-ending injury."

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

Fitz said that he's going to make Wood buy dinner - SOMETHING IS UP!!!  :tinfoil hat:s

And I learned there is a Uncle Joes in Buffalo and Eric likes their pancakes as long as Fitz is buying...

Isn't the fix simple for Wood? He doesn't formally retire and the Bills have to put him on IR and reach an injury settlement with him at which point in time he retires. I really don't think it progresses that far. The two sides should be able to reach an accommodation. The FO should realize that fighting with Wood over a couple mil in bonus money drastically changes the odds Kyle stays around for another year, which will create another gaping hole for us. They should pay the man and keep him around as an assistant O-line coach. You don't run captains out of town when you're trying to change culture.

Edited by ndirish1978

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, no, I don't think the team is entitled to do that.

If Wood voluntarily retires -> yes the team can require him to pay back the prorated bonus for 2018 and 2019, and he would not receive 2018 salary

If Wood is forced to retire for medical reasons -> no such provision.  

As 26CB pointed out, there's a gray area.  And that area that's in the Bills' favor is that they're paying him $4.8M in 2018, even though he won't he playing a down for them.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

And I learned there is a Uncle Joes in Buffalo and Eric likes their pancakes as long as Fitz is buying...

After all those years of cozying up to him and reaching under his jock, fitz at least owes him a breakfast 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

30 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think he should be name-calling either...

For reference, "retard" (which means someone with an IQ of less than 100) is actually a kinder word than either "idiot" (IQ of 0-25), "imbecile" (IQ of 26-50) or "moron" (IQ of 51-70).

We never flip out at "idiot" or "moron"...

Should we start? :lol:

You're an idiot.

• Haha (+1) 1