Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

Not much to see here IMO.

The Bills will save $2 million against the 2018 cap if Wood retires after June 1 ($8.225 cap hit vs. $10.3 million today).  However, they'll add $2 million in dead money in 2019.   

In the end, he gets the same amount of money from the team.  But it F'd up his retirement press conference once the FO figured out the cap ramifications would benefit the team by delaying the official announcement to after June 1.    Eric's probably pissed that he had all his buddies show up for nothing.    Probably why Fitz said Wood has to pick up the tab for dinner! 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Have you never been there? I thought you were named after it. So good! Diner on  Route 20.

No, my moniker is homage to my Uncle Joe who Introduced me to the AFL champion Bills on Sunday afternoons in New Jersey 1964 & 1965.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

The Bills will save $2 million against the 2018 cap if Wood retires after June 1 ($8.225 cap hit vs. $10.3 million today).  However, they'll add $2 million in dead money in 2019.   

In the end, he gets the same amount of money from the team.  But it F'd up his retirement press conference once the FO figured out the cap ramifications would benefit the team by delaying the official announcement to after June 1.    Eric's probably pissed that he had all his buddies show up for nothing.    Probably why Fitz said Wood has to pick up the tab for dinner!

Whether he files paperwork to retire now or after June 1st doesn't change anything since he doesn't have to show up for team activities.  This was still his farewell to the NFL because he won't be playing ever again.  What F'd things up were the leak and probably finding out about the team expecting him to pay back the unamortized portion of his SB. 

7 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Isn't the fix simple for Wood? He doesn't formally retire and the Bills have to put him on IR and reach an injury settlement with him at which point in time he retires.  

Essentially, I think that's why Wood didn't say "I'm retiring", why he said "I'm on the roster", and why he stuck to a prepared statement.  His lawyer told him saying that word "retired" could be a $4.32M mistake.  Let the team make the moves.  

The hold-up could have been that the team, hearing "retirement", thought he was going to be a super-nice guy and take the initiative to retire, which would free them from their obligation to pay his injury-guaranteed 2018 salary and entitle them to repayment of 2/3 of his bonus.  Wood and his agent said "nuh-uh, not that nice!"

I don't think "injury settlement" applies here.  That specifically refers to the situation where a team puts a player on IR when either the team wants to cut the player (can't cut an injured player) and/or the player wants to be released and seek a new home during the season.  They agree on how many weeks the player's injury would take to heal, and pay him for that.  Since Wood's injury is a permanent bar, no negotiation on that point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Whether he files paperwork to retire now or after June 1st doesn't change anything since he doesn't have to show up for team activities.  This was still his farewell to the NFL because he won't be playing ever again.  What F'd things up were the leak and probably finding out about the team expecting him to pay back the unamortized portion of his SB. 

If he files before June 1 the 2018 cap hit is $10.3 million.   If he files after June 1, it's $8.225 million.     He can't use the term 'retire' today due to CBA requirements if the team want's him to go the June 1 route. 

I doubt very much that the Bills asked him to pay back any of the SB, since it's their doctor's who certified he was healthy when he signed the extension.

EDITED:    Even though Wawrow's AP piece says "...According to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, teams can ask for a portion of bonus money to be returned if a player retires before his contract expires," there's no indication the Bills asked him to do so.   

OTOH, his agent/lawyer probably advised him not to use the term 'retire' just so they wouldn't legally be exposed to such a request, taking it off the table.    Eric would have loved to say 'retire' but the lawyers got in the way, IMO...

Edited by Lurker

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If he files before June 1 the 2018 cap hit is $10.3 million.   If he files after June 1, it's $8.225 million.     He can't use the term 'retire' today due to CBA requirements if the team want's him to go the June 1 route. 

I doubt very much that the Bills asked him to pay back any of the SB, since it's their doctor's who certified he was healthy when he signed the extension.

That is not what the disagreement is.

The Bills want more than 4 million back in signing bonus.  Read the AP article.

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS pinned this topic
16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Where is that he cant use the word retire today in the CBA?

If the Bills are asking for ANY portion of his bonus in return, regardless of their expressed legal right to do so, it is a BUSH LEAGUE MOVE of the highest order. 

They signed Wood and gave him that bonus with the expectation that he would play out the remaining two years; it was already an expected cost and they were happy to incur it for a player of Wood's caliber, not to mention his leadership and example of the "football character" McD banks on. 

Yeah, it sucks that an unforeseen medical condition will force him to retire before he the contract expires, but that's as far is it should go. I don't understand given Pegula's seeming little concern about what it takes to sign players, coaches, etc. Hard to swallow when this team was glad to pay Marrone, Schwartz, Ryan, etc. multi-millions of dollars NOT to earn their respective deals through performance. 

You take care of Wood, regardless. Period. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I think your post sums the whole thing up well.

It's just a technical thing in terms of timing and money hence the concern over labels like "voluntary retirement" or whatever language is relevant to the appropriate CBA sections.  At the end of the day, that's really not very interesting. 

Then, as an aside, the Bills seem to have botched the whole thing and figured it out right at the last second, thus delaying the "statement" by a full hour and making Wood feel like a jerk, particularly as he had people flying in from out of town to attend.  Urbik, Will Wolford, Fitz, and others...

It's just another awkward mis-step in a long series of them from OBD; what makes it a little different is this one comes on Beane and McDermott's watch.  

The first major faux pas for them that I recall.

I'm personally done with this story!  It's not as interesting as it seems at first glance.

Edited by Fadingpain

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If the Bills are asking for ANY portion of his bonus in return, regardless of their expressed legal right to do so, it is a BUSH LEAGUE MOVE of the highest order. 

They signed Wood and gave him that bonus with the expectation that he would play out the remaining two years; it was already an expected cost and they were happy to incur it for a player of Wood's caliber, not to mention his leadership and example of the "football character" McD banks on. 

Yeah, it sucks that an unforeseen medical condition will force him to retire before he the contract expires, but that's as far is it should go. I don't understand given Pegula's seeming little concern about what it takes to sign players, coaches, etc. Hard to swallow when this team was glad to pay Marrone, Schwartz, Ryan, etc. multi-millions of dollars NOT to earn their respective deals through performance. 

You take care of Wood, regardless. Period. 

Money is the root of all evil. Sometimes I wish I was a Billionaire just so I can see what kind of messed up stuff people would do for money. Then I would make my own YouTube game show and not only would people participate, people would watch. 

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Money is the root of all evil. Sometimes I wish I was a Billionaire just so I can see what kind of messed up stuff people would do for money. Then I would make my own YouTube game show and not only would people participate, people would watch. 

The LOVE of money is the root of all evil. Not money itself.

• Like (+1) 3

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Just when you are feeling great about the new regime, they go and pull this.  Absolutely terrible look and timing by the BIlls.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

...thanks for observation and assessment......and as long as he still gets the same amount of money, isn't it incumbent upon Beane & McD to do this in a way beneficial to the club?....