Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

So take this with a grain of salt, listening to WGR and Schopp and bulldog were talking about how Wood was angry during his presser.  Just me but at what point in that less than 2 minute speech was he visibly angry?  I must have missed something.

Edited by The Wiz

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So take this with a grain of salt, listening to WGR and Schopp and bulldog were talking about how Wood was angry during his presser.  Just me but at what point in that less than 2 minute speech was he visibly angry?  I must have missed something.

Take everything Schopp says with a boulder of salt.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

...me too...if he gets ALL of his money, what is there to be angry about?...it was reported he obtained additional medical opinions so I'd think they all concurred that he can no longer play.......and if Beane/McD need time to work out semantics/procedures to benefit the club if possible, isn't that their job?.......

22 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Just when you are feeling great about the new regime, they go and pull this.  Absolutely terrible look and timing by the BIlls.

Sounds more like Wood's lawyer/agent taking away any option the Bills would have had to ask for a portion of the SB back--even though there's no indication that the team did so.

This isn't on the team, IMO.    It's a legal maneuver by Wood's representatives...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Take everything Schopp says with a boulder of salt.

I dont listen to them anymore because of that but when someone commented they were speculating that there was disagreement between the Wood and the team I was just curious as to what it could be.

46 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If the Bills are asking for ANY portion of his bonus in return, regardless of their expressed legal right to do so, it is a BUSH LEAGUE MOVE of the highest order. 

They signed Wood and gave him that bonus with the expectation that he would play out the remaining two years; it was already an expected cost and they were happy to incur it for a player of Wood's caliber, not to mention his leadership and example of the "football character" McD banks on. 

Yeah, it sucks that an unforeseen medical condition will force him to retire before he the contract expires, but that's as far is it should go. I don't understand given Pegula's seeming little concern about what it takes to sign players, coaches, etc. Hard to swallow when this team was glad to pay Marrone, Schwartz, Ryan, etc. multi-millions of dollars NOT to earn their respective deals through performance. 

You take care of Wood, regardless. Period. 

So you are perfectly fine tying up that cap space for a player who can't play? You're a generous fellow. This isn't Ralph Wilson's Bills anymore. I seriously doubt the Pegula's are trying to claw back Wood's money. But I'll bet that Beane wants the cap relief, especially when we have new hole in this roster.

But you negative Nelly's are free to conspire away.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

What a fiasco. So what else is going on behind closed doors with this 

:lol:

2 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Really pissed at the Bills. They botched this. This was so disrespectful to Wood. 

What got ****** up today is on the Bills. They should have gotten there ducks in a row on this with Wood a week ago at least. 

Today was was supposed to be a celebration of Eric’s career. And the Bills ****** that up. 

What a **** show. 

Tell them what for and stop being a fan. That'll show 'em.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If the Bills are asking for ANY portion of his bonus in return, regardless of their expressed legal right to do so, it is a BUSH LEAGUE MOVE of the highest order. 

They signed Wood and gave him that bonus with the expectation that he would play out the remaining two years; it was already an expected cost and they were happy to incur it for a player of Wood's caliber, not to mention his leadership and example of the "football character" McD banks on. 

Yeah, it sucks that an unforeseen medical condition will force him to retire before he the contract expires, but that's as far is it should go. I don't understand given Pegula's seeming little concern about what it takes to sign players, coaches, etc. Hard to swallow when this team was glad to pay Marrone, Schwartz, Ryan, etc. multi-millions of dollars NOT to earn their respective deals through performance. 

You take care of Wood, regardless. Period. 

The Bills have already given Wood more than enough money.  The same Wood that yelled at Maybin about giving money back.

The Bills have no problem paying the 4.5 million in base.  The problem is that the signing bonus was based on him actually being able to play.  Guess what, he isn't playing.  They have every right to go after it.  Let's not sit here and act like Wood is struggling.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

So you are perfectly fine tying up that cap space for a player who can't play? You're a generous fellow. This isn't Ralph Wilson's Bills anymore. I seriously doubt the Pegula's are trying to claw back Wood's money. But I'll bet that Beane wants the cap relief, especially when we have new hole in this roster.

But you negative Nelly's are free to conspire away.

I’m not conspiring; Wawrow reported it. And I’m not aware of the cap ramifications other than the post June 1st scenario. If the amount Wood pays back is then added back to the cap, I’ll reconsider my stance. 

You are out of line regarding the negative Nelly take as my 22 years in this community can attest. 

Hypothetical: is that $3m or whatever it is cap space more valuable than the good will and reputation curried by taking care of one of you own? Does taking care of one of your own get noticed by other players on the team and around the league?

Just now, K-9 said:

I’m not conspiring; Wawrow reported it. And I’m not aware of the cap ramifications other than the post June 1st scenario. If the amount Wood pays back is then added back to the cap, I’ll reconsider my stance. 

You are out of line regarding the negative Nelly take as my 22 years in this community can attest. 

Hypothetical: is that $3m or whatever it is cap space more valuable than the good will and reputation curried by taking care of one of you own? Does taking care of one of your own get noticed by other players on the team and around the league?

Spare me the feel-good narrative. Today it's all about honoring Wood. Next week it will all be about "cap jail!" $3MM in cap space could be the difference in signing a needed free agent. Again, are you so willing to give up that cap space just to be all touchy-feely?  

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No.

Players care about THEIR money........not E Wood's.......they know it's a business.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Spare me the feel-good narrative. Today it's all about honoring Wood. Next week it will all be about "cap jail!" $3MM in cap space could be the difference in signing a needed free agent. Again, are you so willing to give up that cap space just to be all touchy-feely?  

So the answer to my hypothetical is “spare me the touch feely.” Got it.

I am of the opinion that little is lost on players on the team and around the league. There are right ways and better ways to do things. 

As for that cap space,  it certainly was already allocated to begin with when they signed Wood to the deal. Now it’s “found money”and I get that it’s an asset to be used strategically. Perhaps they can free up that cap space in another way. 

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's more than 3 million.  Right now it is 10.39 milliion.  If they don't have to pay the 4.33 million for the bonus, they than can split the 4.8 million between the 2 years with post june 1st cut.

2018: 2.4 million from salary and 1.26 million in dead money from last restructure.  3.66 total

2019: 2.4 million from salary.

Would save Bills 6.73 million this year.  Thats a really good player or a bunch of depth.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/1/26/16936636/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-ramifications-of-eric-wood-retirement-for-neck-injury

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

Can't believe some of you are falling for this.  That was a purposeful sham of a PC so they can keep options open.

Gotta be. He can't say he's going to retire and not play again if we're going to fiddle around with the salary cap possibilities. I think it's just smart and we should sit back and let it unfold.