Eric Wood “retirement” press conference

YoloinOhio

Just now, The Poojer said:

but he flat out said no amount of rehab, surgery or recovery would heal the injury, sounds like he knows he can't play anymore

Irrelevant.  If they do something sneaky to avoid a big cap hit they'll need to have "evidence" that retirement wasn't the only option.

I feel like we are missing a lot of information here. I’m glad to know he wasn’t playing through something diagnosed early in the season that was more threatening and ignored. 

I thought I read that he planned to retire regardless of this development, but haven’t seen it referenced since. 

Overall, I there is a mistake and he can play next year. If not, I hope this is the day he  wanted and it wasn’t adjusted because of cap reasons. He deserves a good send off

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

Can't believe some of you are falling for this.  That was a purposeful sham of a PC so they can keep options open.

I think the press conference would have happened on-time if that were the reason....also Wood would not have invited so many players to the conference.    Likely a second opinion came in, and he wants to keep playing.  

Rather strange to have the media, family, teammates, coaches, etc assembled then read a statement that says you're not formally retired.  Should have waited until a 100% formal announcement and for the time being just stick with the released statement.  This was botched. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I cannot believe there is anyway in hell Eric is considering playing football again..

football players are wired differently.  If it's true he got "numerous second opinions," that's a clear indication that he wants to keep playing.  

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rather strange to have the media, family, teammates, coaches, etc assembled then read a statement that says you're not formally retired.  Should have waited until a 100% formal announcement and for the time being just stick with the released statement.  This was botched. 

Despite what was said, the rumor seems to really have pissed him off and forced his hand.

I think he found out that the team wants him to either forfeit the 2018 guaranteed salary or pay back the $4.3M in unamortized bonus, which they are entitled to do and would help with the cap hit for next year.

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

football players are wired differently.  If it's true he got "numerous second opinions," that's a clear indication that he wants to keep playing.  

he clearly stated in press conference his  playing days are over.Exact quote" I will no longer be able to play...even with surgery rehab and treatment"

"Although I will no longer be cleared to play football"

I mean something obviously happened that delayed this pc for so long. If I'm not mistaken, Wood, McDermott and Beane and showed up pretty much right before he read his statement. If I'm correct about that it sounds like they were sitting somewhere discussing something we're not privy to.