Mason Rudolph has tiny hands

There needs to be a girlfriend metric at the combine. If she's ugly, that QB has no confidence.

Bring all the girlfriends in and have the scouts rate them 1-10. Televise it. Swimsuit contest, talent show, the whole 9 yards.

Also, why aren't we measuring foot size? You know what they say about a QB with big feet...

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I don't care what he says is the point. Actions speak louder. 

What about Beane’s actions show that accuracy and Football IQ aren’t high on his list - he’s never drafted one. McD has, and those clearly outranked arm strength and hand size (Peterman). There is nothing there to assume Beane’s actions will be what “every Bills GM” does. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

51 minutes ago, hemma said:

I think the Title was: "The Official Jimmy Clausen has Midget Hands thread"

The unofficial threads were so-so.

oh no doubt.  i don't take any thread seriously until is the, "the official" some where in the title.  

also, should i be measuring my hands?

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

cold weather teams the ball becomes hard and slippery

hot weather conditons the ball expands some.

its not the most improtant measurable by a longshot, but teams measure it for a reason....   if you have 2 QB's that are eqal in every other measurable and stats but one has a hand 0.5 inches larger you may use that in a decision..

but overall I agree its the last measurable we really need to be having a hardcore debate about.... 

More importantly

1.  is completion %
  2. type of college Offense
  3. Ability to scan the field
  4. Performance against high competion and bowl games
  5. Ability to sense pocket pressure
  6. Height/size

probably a few more to add in there but  hand size doesn't come into the equation till all the otehr more improtant attributes have been dissected

I agree with this.  Hand size might be something worth looking at but it's hardly a critical consideration.  Other attributes are far more important.  

I would expand on #1 above:

#1a.  Accuracy.  Is his completion percentage high because the QB is accurate with all his throws or because receivers are wide open?  (Less separation/tighter windows in NFL).

#1b.  Arm Strength/Zip.  Can he throw with velocity?  In college you can loft balls to wideouts because defenders don't have NFL recovery speed.  NFL QBs have to be able to throw on a rope.  

I might also add:

#7.  Anticipation.  Can he make the throw before the receiver's final cut?  Tyrod tends to wait for WRs to come open while elite QBs make the throw before then.  

#8.  Leadership.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree with this.  Hand size might be something worth looking at but it's hardly a critical consideration.  Other attributes are far more important.  

I would expand on #1 above:

#1a.  Accuracy.  Is his completion percentage high because the QB is accurate with all his throws or because receivers are wide open?  (Less separation/tighter windows in NFL).

#1b.  Arm Strength/Zip.  Can he throw with velocity?  In college you can loft balls to wideouts because defenders don't have NFL recovery speed.  NFL QBs have to be able to throw on a rope.  

I might also add:

#7.  Anticipation.  Can he make the throw before the receiver's final cut?  Tyrod tends to wait for WRs to come open while elite QBs make the throw before then.  

#8.  Leadership.

Also wrt accuracy/completion % - need to factor in whether the QB is throwing a ton of easy screens/dump offs/ shovel passes/jet sweeps in the offense. It falsely jacks up that %. 

As Gunner mentioned in one of the Rudolph threads, he was asked to throw downfield more than any of the other “top” QBs in the class. That’s a big thing for me to see be just general completion %. That said, Mayfield (to my untrained eye) was the most accurate Qb I watched all year followed by Rosen and Darnold. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

44 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

There needs to be a girlfriend metric at the combine. If she's ugly, that QB has no confidence.

Bring all the girlfriends in and have the scouts rate them 1-10. Televise it. Swimsuit contest, talent show, the whole 9 yards.

Also, why aren't we measuring foot size? You know what they say about a QB with big feet...

2 THINGS: what do we do with guys who have big feet and small hands or vice versa...take the average? Secondly, didn't Manziel have like size 15 1/2 shoes.....unfortunately he had an IQ of 75!

4 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

2 THINGS: what do we do with guys who have big feet and small hands or vice versa...take the average? Secondly, didn't Manziel have like size 15 1/2 shoes.....unfortunately he had an IQ of 75!

1. Yes, but it depends

2. Obviously, Manziel was too bottom-heavy.

1 hour ago, teef said:

oh no doubt.  i don't take any thread seriously until is the, "the official" some where in the title.  

also, should i be measuring my hands?

Dentists and proctologists should be legally required to have midget hands.

The largest finger should be able to fit comfortably in a 3/8" drill chuck.

3 hours ago, kdiggz said:

not sure why you would think this is useless.  if you can't grip the football there's lots of issues that can arise.  add to that, when it's cold the ball is as hard as a rock and when its warm the air expands if you leave it sitting in the sun.  also if you ever get a chance to get your hands on a game ball, they are slippery as crap.  the QB's and kickers do their best to break them in but the slick coating from the factory on the new game balls is killer.  hand size is definitely not a worthless stat.  it doesn't tell the whole story but it is a valuable piece of information

Very good pts. I would like to add that the whole deflatgate thing would of been a mute pt had #12  had larger hands. Not to mention larger hands are important when it comes to arm strength. 

Just now, DCOrange said:

He had a family emergency and is expected to arrive there sometime around now; his measurements will reportedly be released tomorrow morning.

Ah.  Thought he was trying to pull a fast one.

My hand size is 9 5/8". Only Josh Allen and Tanner Lee have hands that are bigger than mine in that list. If the Bills don't like either of those guys or Kurt Benkert or Kyle Lauletta whose hand size is equal to mine, I'm available. At 56 years of age, and my football experience equaling 1 year of JV football, 3 years of High school football and 4 years of local flag football after High School, I'm surely a better option than all the rest. My hands are bigger than theirs. I played split end and linebacker in High school and just about every position in flag football so I should be able to handle being an NFL QB. After all, it's all about hand size!

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Jeez.  I've always thought of myself being on the smaller end of the hand spectrum, but I just measured it at 9 1/4.  Rudolph is smaller than that.

And will have a different number (bigger) at the Combine watch 

7 hours ago, zow2 said:

Didn't EJ have enormous hands?  Didn't help him in Buffalo.  Overrated attribute 

Yes.  The biggest hands of any QB entering the draft.  I do think hand size is  factor that teams look at for any position where the player might be handling the ball a lot, and especially quarterbacks.  The fear is that with smaller hands it may be that fumbles are more likely or there may be more of a chance that passes will flutter making for more interceptions.  Everything else being equal, you pick the guy with bigger hands.  However, everything else is never equal.  More important than hand size to quarterbacks is developing the habits that will help them do a better job of taking care of the ball.