Mason Rudolph has tiny hands

14 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

it must be a factor because nobody with hands less than 9" had any success.  perhaps it doesn't increase your liklihood of success once your hands are larger than a certain size but it certainly shows they must be at least a certain size to be successful and in my own experiences i saw that myself.  when it was cold or rainy i couldn't grip the football and i measured and my hands are 8.5" so that's probably why

There are only 4 less than 9" listed.  Conversely, there are many with larger than average hands (10" or greater).  They are nearly universally failures.

Anyway, did this kid have trouble gripping the ball in college?

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

logan thomas i think i had the biggest hands ever measured

i'm sure his wife agrees with this assessment if you know what i mean

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There are only 4 less than 9" listed.  Conversely, there are many with larger than average hands (10" or greater).  They are nearly universally failures.

Anyway, did this kid have trouble gripping the ball in college?

no because he played down south.  every game was probably perfect weather.  never played in the snow and i wonder if he has ever seen snow.  there are only 4 listed less than 9" because you need large hands to grip the ball and success at the QB position is a direct correlation with above avg hand size

22 minutes ago, Putin said:

In all fairness I don’t think we’re all looking for elite QB , I think most of us would be happy with someone that we could all agree is a starter , and for once not have to debate if he’s a backup or , 

I could not disagree more. We don't want adequate. We want the next Brady. I can assure you if whoever we draft doesn't blow our socks off in their first year, we will be looking at drafting another QB next draft. 

1 hour ago, teef said:

not to bring up the past, but on the bbmb, hand size was an extremely sensitive topic.  i still remember the great jimmy clausen thread of 2010.  we never quite came back from that.

I think the Title was: "The Official Jimmy Clausen has Midget Hands thread"

The unofficial threads were so-so.

• Haha (+1) 1

It says Manziel's arrival is delayed.  He will be at practice tomorrow.  Is he trying to avoid measurement day because he won't measure out well?  Rudolph is hurt and he still showed up to weigh-in and get his measurements taken...could be nothing but I just find the timing very interesting.  

Edited by Buffalo30

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

It says Manziel's arrival is delayed.  He will be at practice tomorrow.  Is he trying to avoid measurement day because he won't measure out well?  Rudolph is hurt and he still showed up to weigh-in and get his measurements taken...could be nothing but I just find the timing very interesting.  

No, they've already announced that his measurements will be released later today. He had a family emergency yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

How did he get invited to the senior bowl?

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How big are Sam Darnold’s hands? He had a real fumbling problem in college.

i think a lot of his fumbles were in the pocket because he drops his arm instead of keeping the ball high.  it's going to be a real problem at the next level.  edge rushers bending the corner know to reach for the ball in those situations

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

It may have something to do with him transferring. He played for Texas Tech in 2013 then sat out 2014 because of his transfer.

He's saying because you said "Manziel" instead of Mayfield haha

Funny enough there was a segment on ESPN with Danny Kennell that focused on this issue.

The discussion centered around the great pump fake that Foles demonstrated in the NFC Championship game on Sunday. Kennell mentioned that Foles has some of the biggest hands in the NFL -- well over 10". He then talked about the big hands being a nice attribute for cold weather QBs and that Kelly, Bradshaw and Favre all had great success throwing the ball in cold weather because of their big hands -- and that QBs like Dan Fouts struggled when playing in the cold weather.

He also added that having big hands is imperative for QBs who do a lot of pump fakes -- and that is one reason why you do not see Brady do many pump fakes: he has small hands (by NFL QB standards) at 9 3/8".

Hand-size is certainly a factor to consider -- especially for Buffalo where the need is heightened because of the weather late in the season. But it is silly to place too much emphasis on it as they did when drafting EJ Manuel.