Hear me out, sign Le'veon bell

Batman1876

So obviously this is an unlikely, outside the box idea but here it is.

If We had Bell and Shady we would have two of the best backs in the league.  Bell averaged 21 carries per game and Shady had 17. The bills last year averaged 63 plays per game. So if we aimed for 40 carries and 25 passes both backs could get their touches.  Assuming we get a Rookie QB we could sign Bell rather than signing  an expensive veteran QB for our rook to learn behind.  Instead of taking the pressure off of our rookie by having him on the bench take the pressure off with 2 all pro backs. Get the rookie live fire experience but in a situation where he is not asked to do too much.  On top of that I imagine our new OC with his  NE and Alabama pedigree could figure out ways to put pressure on the defense by creatively using both of them. At the end of the year cut ties with Shady keep Bell and transition to a more balanced offense with a QB who has had a year to develop.  

Just now, Batman1876 said:

Because he does not want to be there and has threatened not to play if they tag him. 

Why should he?  All it does is give him a massive amount of risk, and minimizes his reward.  The issue always comes back to guaranteed money, and he wants more than what he's getting on 2 running back tags.

39 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

If We had Bell and Shady we would have two of the best backs in the league.  Bell averaged 21 carries per game and Shady had 17. The bills last year averaged 63 plays per game. So if we aimed for 40 carries and 25 passes both backs could get their touches.  Assuming we get a Rookie QB we could sign Bell rather than signing  an expensive veteran QB for our rook to learn behind.  Instead of taking the pressure off of our rookie by having him on the bench take the pressure off with 2 all pro backs. Get the rookie live fire experience but in a situation where he is not asked to do too much.  On top of that I imagine our new OC with his  NE and Alabama pedigree could figure out ways to put pressure on the defense by creatively using both of them. At the end of the year cut ties with Shady keep Bell and transition to a more balanced offense with a QB who has had a year to develop.  

Get out of a 1970s football mindset 

First off, he's a guy that commands franchise tag money already and isn't happy with it, so imagine how much we'd have to spend to lock him up long term. 

Second, neither back wants to not start. Even if they were to get even carries, only one would be considered the starter.

Third, unless we are planning to draft and or sign in free agency some amazing O-line talent, it wouldn't be worth the investment. And locking up multiple backs with big money could be awful (see Philadelphia a few years ago...and they had a GREAT line).

He will be franchised and then out of the league by 2020.  I say no.  400 plus touches a year is insane and no player has ever been able to maintain the usage as an NFL back.  i would argue that Shady has just as much tread on his tires that Bell has.  i would stick with Shady and get a young back in the draft on the cheap.  

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I think we go for Brady and Rodgers. Have them battle it out in camp w tyrod. 

Hear me out...

Brady is old, Rodgers is now injury prone, and Tyrod is in his prime. Do you really think it's fair to have them compete with him at this point in their careers? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

First off, he's a guy that commands franchise tag money already and isn't happy with it, so imagine how much we'd have to spend to lock him up long term. 

Second, neither back wants to not start. Even if they were to get even carries, only one would be considered the starter.

Third, unless we are planning to draft and or sign in free agency some amazing O-line talent, it wouldn't be worth the investment. And locking up multiple backs with big money could be awful (see Philadelphia a few years ago...and they had a GREAT line).

This is right on. 

I would also add that RB is a lot like QB, in that getting into rhythm is very important on game day. Trying to get two backs into an elite rhythm would be more than incredibly difficult. 

45 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Because he does not want to be there and has threatened not to play if they tag him. 

Actually he has said numerous times he does want to be there. His main problem is he's trying to get an insane contract and "redefine the RB market" as he put it.

He is an amazing player, but I wouldn't sign Bell to the contract he is looking for and tie up that much money in a RB. No way no how.

1 hour ago, Batman1876 said:

Isn't Bell one drug test from missing an entire year? He was tweeting at Patriots' fans at midnight the night before the Steelers lost to the Jags about meeting the Pats the following week of the playoffs! He spent the week talking about his contract, retiring or sitting out the season. I wouldn't want any part of that clown! The Bills' weakness was the QB. If you had even an average QB, it would have been the Bills playing in the 2nd round. 

Would LOVE to have Bell on the team.  Still have nightmares of hIM running all over us for 200+ at the RalpH last year.

If we can't get him, we definitely need to get another stud one two punch backup for Shady.  I was thinking Blount, but Bell would be even better.

Edited by reddogblitz

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I think Bell would be a great fit to go with our signing of Brees

and Rodgers

2 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Should I have put the words "obviously this is an unlikely" in bold?

No, we all known it's not going to happen...just wondering why bring it up?

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Bell thinks he's worth like $15,000,000 per. Reports are he turned down a $12,000,000 a year contract last offseason. Too rich for us and we have Shady still

...think the first two years alone were $30 mil.....that's Concussion Protocol money for both sides and he turned it down.......r u kidding?......need to see what healed Jones, Cadet & Murphy show in OTA's and camp.......pretty rich draft class as well......yes Tolbert was a McD Vet presence/locker room guy, but that ship needs to sail...reminds me of Dopey Dickie Jauron and Anthony "A-Train" Thompson, with FredEx stuck on the pine....the ""A-Train" became "A-Caboose"......maybe you can provide some insight as to where DiMarco may or may NOT fit.....

4 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Told you, the off season gets really crazy!

Just now, reddogblitz said:

Again, nice job.  Making fun of special needs children going to school that need a little extra help is always appropriate and fun (I guess).

Pathetic.

Feeling better now? Let me get on the horn to the pope. You’re due beatification.

Just now, joesixpack said:

Feeling better now? Let me get on the horn to the pope. You’re due beatification.

Again, nice job.  Making fun of special needs children going to school that need a little extra help is always appropriate and fun (I guess).

Must make you feel real manly.

Pathetic.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Sad 1