Rod Watson on the Bills

Rod - instead of writing a click-bait column -- offer some solutions to the ills you describe.  The Say Yes program has raised graduation rates in Buffalo City Schools by 33% the last 3 years.  How about highlighting what's going right and building on it rather than writing a kill-joy column.  Write about surrounding suburban school districts that rank highly.  Write about the economic development around canalside...write about whatever...don't trash the Bills at their finest moment in this century because the managing editor is thinking your columns don't attract readers.....

What a lame idiot who wrote that. This is what passes as journalism these days?

Apparently liking sports means you can't be involved in anything else, or follow politics, or be cultured.

Edited by MJS

If it was a troll piece to stir up attention and controversy, its done it job.

Trolling is the new way to bring attention to media personas and to entertainers.

They hire online bloggers and commenters to troll one side of a thing which makes another half cape for the 'product' being trolled.

This makes consumers aware of the "product" without knowing they are being advertised through blogs and troll threads. Once it hits trolls, white knights, and social media begin to promote for you. With internet at their touch screens they can research and order product right from their fone.

F#ckin consumerism 

Never mind that by making the playoffs, Bills fans have contributed over $300K to charities to help sick and/or underprivileged kids.  Yeah, just focus on the celebrating of making the playoffs for the entire week it lasts (although hopefully more).  :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

His implication was that super-fans suck at life.    

Gotta' admit...."vicarious sense of accomplishment" was funny.:lol:

There is a lot of truth in what he says about super fans.....................but the problem is that the agenda behind it is that he is furious that there are people out there who aren't totally CONSUMED about the political and social issues that he is.

and look who runs into back him up.  not shocking.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Badol shows amazing empathy for those with horrendous takes.  He knows what it's like.

i assume they're all part of the same angry life club.  they have monthly meetings, bake sales, pay dues, etc.  

What we learn here is that sports journalists aren't the only journalists who purposely write something completely against the grain of their readership to manufacturer outrage for the sake of "clicks for advertising revenue."

Don't think for a moment that Watson and the BN aren't reveling in all the commentary.

Up next for Watson: "She was loved as Leather Tuscadero, but what Suzie Quattro looks like now is unrecognizable!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Seems like this cat is just trolling and looking for attention making an absurd statement like this knowing he's going to get flamed given the circumstances.

For comparison this column has 703 comments so far. The one that he wrote previously had 37.

16 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I agree with Rod.  What is the point in trying to enjoy life when there is so much wrong in the world.  We should all be on a crusade to save the world all the time.

I use to care but after watchng humaity devolve during my lifetime I'm just going be ignorant to the worlds problems in a desperate attempt to reduce my stres levels, maintain my own sanity, and actually enjoy what little life I have left in the big scheme of things.

Bring on the on one of my favorite mind occupiers.. Bills football

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

This guy probably calls napkins serviettes.

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Seems like this cat is just trolling and looking for attention making an absurd statement like this knowing he's going to get flamed given the circumstances.

The irony is loud here.

Somewhat interesting piece designed to be deliberately controversial.

I think "click bait" is the term these days.

Seems to have worked; this thread will go to 20 pages before long.

PS:  Most of my friends who still Iive in WNY (life long Buffalonians) would agree with the author 100% and do not really follow WNY sports.

22 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yep. I went to the Moma Museum in NYC this past July and the Wright exhibit was amazing. And I love the Bills. 

How can you visit art museums when there's going to be a nuclear war???  Get a sense of perspective, man!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I would ask Rod this: What can I do about schools that are failing or North Korea or drunk driving accidents or the weather knocking out power or starving kids or polar ice caps melting or Buffalo not having enough business or the alt right clashing with activists? 

I am 35 with a wife and two kids. I pay a mortgage, two cars, insurance and so forth. Work as an engineer for long hours. 

So I'm supposed to sleep 8 hours a day, work 11 hours a day, be a Dad. 

Other than rifling off more money am I supposed to take off work so off work so I can hold an Anti-Trump sign in front of a government building? 

What have the people who GET PAID to work the schools, hospitals, governments, media doing if everything is so bad Rod? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Somewhat interesting piece designed to be deliberately controversial.

I think "click bait" is the term these days.

Seems to have worked; this thread will go to 20 pages before long.

PS:  Most of my friends who still Iive in WNY (life long Buffalonians) would agree with the author 100% and do not really follow WNY sports.

You need to enlarge and diversify your circle of friends then.  :) JMHO. No disrespect meant.

As for non sports fans. Sports are for you know SPORTS FANS. Not tree huggers, or art lovers, or museum fans, or garage salers, or antiquers, or political fans, or movie buffs, or scrap bookers, or coin collectors, or bird watchers, or music lovers,......etc etc... To ea their own. I don't criticize anyone else for enjoying something they love. Tell that Rod jerk to get out of my parade or he will get run over by a bunch of happy souls.

Again No disrespect to you Fadingpain.

Edited by cba fan