11-13: McDermott and Coordinator Pressers

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Even in this picture, I can hear Tyrod's thoughts: "Ok, so I know I'm supposed to be handing the ball off to somebody...what the hell are you doing way over there? Wait, a pass? On 1st down?!! No f-ing way! Can I....." followed by the thud. 

52 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sure.

Unless your QB is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers your not winning a game like that with the way the defense played yesterday. 20 straight runs or something to that effect. Are you kidding?

Scott, if you keep the TOP 30 / 30 then you reduce the points they score.   Taylor  regressed once again and the result was 3 and out 3 and out 3 and out

I never said the Bills would win regardless (bedside my homerism in the pick the score thread). at least make it respectable

Most  fans knows that it takes a new regime  2 years, sometimes 3 to get the team and the culture they really want....don't worry folks...it's probably going to get worse before it gets better...this is only 1/2 of season 1.....end of 2018 and 2019 is where we'll see if the process really works...not after 8 games....

So basically, McD still likes Tyrod, Vlad, Tolbert etc

its week 11 and the offensive coordinator is still figuring out what we do well. He also likes Tolbert. 

Beane trades for Benjamin which will probably end up being a waste since we seem so content to not throw him the ball. Watkins situation part 2.

Meanwhile, our defense seems to only be getting worse by the week.

Gotta keep preaching that conservative ball control, take what the defense gives you nonsense though. God forbid we actually had some offensive minds that wanted to force the issue and make the defense adjust to  the offense and not the other way around. But I guess going 3 and out or kicking FGs is just as fun.

This team is still a joke.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

Its premature to freak out about anyone on this regime, and I would say all their postgame comments are pretty much par for the course.  

That being said, I think the guy on the biggest hot seat is going to be Dennison moving forward because there have been many times this year, and sometimes almost entire games, where he leaves you scratching your head and asking WTF was the thinking with that series.  He has an underwhelming resume to go with his his underwhelming resume this year, and despite having all the elements of the dominant rushing team still in place from the last 2 years, he has failed to really keep it as an effective part of this team.  

Not everything he has done has been bad, but he really looks out of his league when facing tougher opponents and comes across as stubborn, making his play calling too predictable and ineffective too often.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

All these things said are pretty stock answers in situations like this. 

Of course McD isn't going to make a switch to Peterman. Taylor still gives them the best chance to win, he and everyone else on the teams knows that. And yeah, the vets on this team believe in Taylor, otherwise they wouldn't have voted him captain. 

The BS with Tolbert yesterday was because they though they'd be fine going into the game with only two backs. McCoy is not close to 100% right now. I mean, at this point in the season no players that play regularly are near 100% but he may be further away from 100% than most think. He's dealt with a wrist injury all year, he tweaked his groin a few weeks ago and yesterday after that one long run he sat out a few plays. It wasn't said why he was out but obviously some kind of ailment came up and he had to sit out for a bit. 

As of right now my biggest gripe with this coaching staff is their lack of contingency plans. Now, I'm not advocating that Dareus was playing great this season nor am I saying he was worth the contract he had and I'm also well aware of the amount of playing time he had. But, when he was in there it would force the OL to usually put two blockers on him, which frees up other players to make a play. They traded Dareus for a 6th without having a DL that could occupy space and blockers like he can. By today's standards they have a slightly undersized DL and it's shown in the last two weeks as these guys are just getting pushed around like no big deal. And then they go into yesterday's game with just McCoy and Tolbert. That's really short-sighted on their part considering how heavy of a workload they wanna put on McCoy. He can't do it all and they need someone a little more dynamic than Tolbert to fill in for McCoy when he needs a breather. 

The OL cohesion has eroded due to Glenn's injuries, Dawkins' inexperience, Incognito's not healthy, Miller isn't suited for the scheme, Ducasse apparently IS but just isn't a very good player. And Mills is Mills. Couple that with a new scheme and there's going to be problems. They talked about how they gathered after the first few games and Dennison took feedback from the offense about things from the last couple of seasons that worked well. More power/pull blocking schemes and we saw how that helped the run game. Now, I don't know if Dennison is still mixing things from last season or if he's tried to steer things entirely in his direction with his system. 

Besides all of that, let's be real. Most people assumed this team would be what we saw yesterday for the entire season. They'd gimp through the season with what they got and then reshape the roster even more in the off-season. So, the early wins were a nice surprise and even though we had the feeling of things being different, the reality was this team still has a lot of weak spots, has to follow a very specific formula and have a few bounces go their way in order to win games. 

And with the way Frazier and Dennison kept talking about getting back to what they do best, that leads me to believe that they've tried to mix it up and try some different things but it hasn't worked. I understand that as the season goes on you can't keep showing the same things on tape game after game. So maybe they need to be a little more clever in what they wanna do, keeping it the same but making it look different, maybe. 

I dont get how tolbert and vlad get to play so many snaps. John Miller is atleast a beast in the run game. How can you not start him? 

I can understand wanting to start tyrod, but you can start peterman for one game cant you?

If youre a true professional, it shouldnt shake up the locker room.

The only way you can see if there is actual improvement is if the player plays.

Peterman does get the ball out quickly and is decisive, keeps his eyes downfield. He stands tall in the pocket.

ah well !@#$ it

13 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

All these things said are pretty stock answers in situations like this. 

Of course McD isn't going to make a switch to Peterman. Taylor still gives them the best chance to win, he and everyone else on the teams knows that. And yeah, the vets on this team believe in Taylor, otherwise they wouldn't have voted him captain. 

The BS with Tolbert yesterday was because they though they'd be fine going into the game with only two backs. McCoy is not close to 100% right now. I mean, at this point in the season no players that play regularly are near 100% but he may be further away from 100% than most think. He's dealt with a wrist injury all year, he tweaked his groin a few weeks ago and yesterday after that one long run he sat out a few plays. It wasn't said why he was out but obviously some kind of ailment came up and he had to sit out for a bit. 

As of right now my biggest gripe with this coaching staff is their lack of contingency plans. Now, I'm not advocating that Dareus was playing great this season nor am I saying he was worth the contract he had and I'm also well aware of the amount of playing time he had. But, when he was in there it would force the OL to usually put two blockers on him, which frees up other players to make a play. They traded Dareus for a 6th without having a DL that could occupy space and blockers like he can. By today's standards they have a slightly undersized DL and it's shown in the last two weeks as these guys are just getting pushed around like no big deal. And then they go into yesterday's game with just McCoy and Tolbert. That's really short-sighted on their part considering how heavy of a workload they wanna put on McCoy. He can't do it all and they need someone a little more dynamic than Tolbert to fill in for McCoy when he needs a breather. 

The OL cohesion has eroded due to Glenn's injuries, Dawkins' inexperience, Incognito's not healthy, Miller isn't suited for the scheme, Ducasse apparently IS but just isn't a very good player. And Mills is Mills. Couple that with a new scheme and there's going to be problems. They talked about how they gathered after the first few games and Dennison took feedback from the offense about things from the last couple of seasons that worked well. More power/pull blocking schemes and we saw how that helped the run game. Now, I don't know if Dennison is still mixing things from last season or if he's tried to steer things entirely in his direction with his system. 

Besides all of that, let's be real. Most people assumed this team would be what we saw yesterday for the entire season. They'd gimp through the season with what they got and then reshape the roster even more in the off-season. So, the early wins were a nice surprise and even though we had the feeling of things being different, the reality was this team still has a lot of weak spots, has to follow a very specific formula and have a few bounces go their way in order to win games. 

And with the way Frazier and Dennison kept talking about getting back to what they do best, that leads me to believe that they've tried to mix it up and try some different things but it hasn't worked. I understand that as the season goes on you can't keep showing the same things on tape game after game. So maybe they need to be a little more clever in what they wanna do, keeping it the same but making it look different, maybe. 

Best post in this thread.  I agree with you one hundred percent.  We had "beginner's luck" at the start of the season and all got hyped that this was the year we end the playoff drought.  Now we're seeing reality.  As to Tolbert...there's such a thing as "being loyal to a fault."  

I asked my brother at the beginning of the season, if with all the trades, etc, he would rather see the Bills end up with a losing record and a top ten pick so they can get the QB of the future without having to trade way up in the draft, or if he'd rather they  make the playoffs.  He opted for the latter...with the presumption of if the Bills make the playoffs, they won't have to draft high for a QB.  Well...we now are at the point where we may end up with a middling record, and a poor ranking in the draft.  This is the worst position to be in if you need a QB.   I truly hope they let the draft come to them and don't package all those picks to get a QB.  We clearly have a lot more holes on this team than can be filled in free agency.  

For now...please, start some of the younger guys and see if there may be one or two less holes that need to be filled in the draft. 

....Greenspan called it "irrational exuberance".....and the meteoric rise to 5-2, perhaps the penthouse for Buffalo in a year of transition caught everyone by surprise, including fans and I'd bet coaches....most prognosticators had them at 5-11 or 6-10 including here and in the press......so in the last ten days the bubble burst and we've gone from the pretend penthouse to the outhouse.....this is a year of transition, evaluation and assessment while still trying to be a competitive club......sure they continue to shop for improvements (Thompson signing, Benjamin trade, etc) to maintain a level of competitiveness, but there are FAR TOO MANY question marks to have been fixed in one off season.....the 2018 slate of draft picks, Beane's staff of former Pro Player Personnel Directors and VP's of Player Personnel pretty much say this is a long term deal as in building for the future...tell me otherwise....damn right 17 year drought is a long and painful time, with the slightest inclination of optimism that the "end is now" screws up the thinking of the masses.....BUT....I doubt the "end" happens in 2017, the stark & painful reality......fire him, them, everyone, etc  is just plain asinine yipsters yapping.....

1 hour ago, Direhard Fan said:

Peterman stuff was at the end of a finished game.  It meant nothing so stop singing praises.  Our line play on both sides was terrible.  TT had little to do with this defeat.  NO had our number.  admit it and move on.  Amazing how fast some get off the wagon.

Some of us have never been on the Tyrod Taylor bandwagon.

A few take aways.  Dennison is still figuring out how to call a game.  That was a little concering that he has been in the league as long as he had and was not a successful play caller.  There are plays you like but you want to maximize your personal as well.  The option to with tolbert made no sense he is not an open space runner and the flow of the defense would easily force the play to the boundry.  The run game was fine.  Mccoy was 10 for 49 at half but they had to abandon the run which never happened.  The way you beat shell zone concepts is from the pocket.  Quick passes and seem routes.  Utilize benjamin as a gronk or graham.  Stack him in a bunch and give him the seem option route.  

After 2 bad losses the fixes are not quick or easy.  At the same time they are the same team that dismantled the raiders at home.  As much as Tyrod is our starter talk there is a point were you have to change personal. Same goes for Humber.  He is not nearly as productive as he was pre injury.  Milano made plays and again has more atheltism and upside.

4 hours ago, McBean said:

My approval rating of McDermott has crashed like GE stock the past week and a half.

If he sticks with Tyrod, he’ll be added to the list of HC’s who’ve failed here by sticking with a below average Qb.

Yup^^^ another coach more worried about his win loss record instead of trying to find the guy...4-12, 5-11 is better than 8-8 in yhe long run

2 hours ago, Direhard Fan said:

Peterman stuff was at the end of a finished game.  It meant nothing so stop singing praises.  Our line play on both sides was terrible.  TT had little to do with this defeat.  NO had our number.  admit it and move on.  Amazing how fast some get off the wagon.

Tyrod also looked absolutely terrible in pre-season.  When Peterman came in during pre-season it looked more like a proper passing offense.  It was said Peterman was going against 2nd, 3rd string and players that might not make the team.  Yesterday we were in a similar situation and all we have is what we have been able to see.

It looks as though Peterman is the much better thrower of the football.  No one knows if that could happen when a team game plans and the balance of the game is in question - but I'd sure like to see if he could.  

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What! ?! An NFL head coach who does what he thinks is best to win!  Shocked! 

not working out so good. oh sure, hopes will still be there until they lose Sunday, then those hopes will all but fade away. McD has proven nothing yet when it comes to "winning". a game above .500 for now may entice some fans but the writing is on the wall and was in bold capital letters the last two games. 

LOSERS

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

18 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Raise your hands if you want to see whichever QB we draft next year be coached by Dennison and play behind a line coached by Castillo.

Not all at once...

I'm on the fence and willing to give Dennison another year considering he's working with a tailback as the signal caller.

The Offense was horrible yesterday. But that isn't what's worrying me today as it's been far from good all season for a whole lot of reasons. It's been about the Number One gripe around here for that long. No, what's worrying me the most is the collapse of the Defense. I thought the Jets was maybe an anomaly but that performance yesterday doesn't just suggest there's a major problem with the D, it screams it. I could live with the crappy offense in hopes that Rico and Juan would be fired at the end of the season so long as the D kept playing as well as it started out the season. But now? Oh, man.

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I have to believe it's Coach Speak....gotta defend your players in the press conference.

I can't believe for a second he really believes in these guys.  He's not an idiot.  He will try to replace them in the offseason.

Folks got fooled on their own effort.
This has always been a "lets see what we got here" season.

those wins had so many throwing roses..

and now they are hurt.

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Raise your hands if you want to see whichever QB we draft next year be coached by Dennison and play behind a line coached by Castillo.

Not all at once...

there might be some opportunity for fine tuning in that area John B...

Rick Dennison: "Our Job to Iron It Out"  (11:01)

OC Rick Dennison talks about correcting mistakes on offense, the integration of Kelvin Benjamin, the offensive identity and more.

Leslie Frazier: "We've Got Some Work To Do"  (11:36)

DC Leslie Frazier talks about defensive gap integrity, pressuring the quarterback and more.

1 hour ago, yungmack said:

The Offense was horrible yesterday. But that isn't what's worrying me today as it's been far from good all season for a whole lot of reasons. It's been about the Number One gripe around here for that long. No, what's worrying me the most is the collapse of the Defense. I thought the Jets was maybe an anomaly but that performance yesterday doesn't just suggest there's a major problem with the D, it screams it. I could live with the crappy offense in hopes that Rico and Juan would be fired at the end of the season so long as the D kept playing as well as it started out the season. But now? Oh, man.

too ugly to comprehend fully.

I watched the first half. and turned it off beginning of second half. Here is why

LBs

57 refuse to get low on Ingram, every time. and got bowled over, and or Saints O line just kept pushing Mark another five yards. He would refuse seemingly to go after the legs and stop the churning.
It was just blatant.
Brown was missing the gaps and either getting walked or moved aside. He was so pissed he had lost composure in the first qtr. it just got worse.
Should Humber be concussion protocol ? he looked lost and weak.

That why i turned it off. Worst LB play as a group i have seen since

Rex

Edited by 3rdand12

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The result isn't the point. It's whether he's trying to win vs. evaluating players for the future.  

the goal of just evaluating players 

is not the correct interpretation of McDermotts message 

Playoff Mentality 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan