Los Angeles is an embarrassment

And yet the Rams are on their way to a the playoffs and possible division title.

Either way the NFL or rams ownership could probably give a damn about selling out games. They are making a fortune on the TV revenues alone which has always been the endgame with the NFL force feeding a team back to the LA market.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Winning team, promising franchise QB, top offense and yet the stadium is half full. They don't deserve a team and this is why they lost the team's before.

The average jerk in the stands isn't what fuels the coffers of the NFL, and that's why LA has football again.

Simply too big of a market to go NFL-less, even though the average person in that region obviously doesn't give a rat's ass about it.

11 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The average jerk in the stands isn't what fuels the coffers of the NFL, and that's why LA has football again.

Simply too big of a market to go NFL-less, even though the average person in that region obviously doesn't give a rat's ass about it.

So why bother putting a team there? If they aren't going they aren't watching either.

The only reason LA has a team is because Stan Kroenke is building a palace that will generate millions in unshared revenue every year through the sale of corporate suites and sponsorships. The presence of a team in LA won’t budge the TV ratings needle one iota. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The only reason LA has a team is because Stan Kroenke is building a palace that will generate millions in unshared revenue every year through the sale of corporate suites and sponsorships. The presence of a team in LA won’t budge the TV ratings needle one iota. 

This puts a lot of pressure on McVay to win.  It the Rams suck, there will be even fewer seats filled and possibly empty suites.  I suspect the venture back to LA will eventually fail for at least one, if not both Rams and Chargers.  I can see the Chargers going back to SD.

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

And yet the Rams are on their way to a the playoffs and possible division title.

Either way the NFL or rams ownership could probably give a damn about selling out games. They are making a fortune on the TV revenues alone which has always been the endgame with the NFL force feeding a team back to the LA market.

Except the revenue is at an all time low and the NFL certainly isn't relying on a team with no fan base to change that..

9 minutes ago, Tcali said:

Woods and Watkins lead 7-2 Rams to victory. 8 and 171 for Woods:):):):)

Dareus team 6-3 and looking strong as well. Gilmore will probably be in the SB. 

And Rex is feeling better about himself!!!

it's crazy to think that the team Rex inherited was so damn talented, but he ran it into the gutter with McBeane finishing it off by getting rid of all the young talent. It's going to be fun wasting all these draft picks just to replace all  those same positions... Doesn't really feel like we're "building" anything, just standing in place. 

We were a QB away from being really good...but since then we've gotten much OLDER and regressed far too much. 

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

it's crazy to think that the team Rex inherited was so damn talented, but he ran it into the gutter with McBeane finishing it off by getting rid of all the young talent. It's going to be fun wasting all these draft picks just to replace all  those same positions... Doesn't really feel like we're "building" anything, just standing in place. 

We were a QB away from being really good...but since then we've gotten much OLDER and regressed far too much. 

I agree bigd...you summed it up just about perfectly

14 minutes ago, Tcali said:

I bet Whaley feels great about himself right about now lol. 

When it comes to the LA Rams, the only thing I think about or care about is how they have proven that Woods & watkins (especially Woods) were good picks at receiver that would have been good enough to build a passing offense around as was intended when they were drafted in consecutive years.................... if we ever had a decent QB.  Robert Woods was the most polished & well-rounded receiver we had drafted since Eric Moulds and he went to complete waste. Sickening

And I've also come to realize that part of the reason our receivers kept getting hurt in Buffalo probably has something to do with how our QBs frequently throw passes to our receivers with a defender positioned to lay the smackdown right after they catch it.

5 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This.

Plus, the Coliseum expierence sucks more than anyone on this board is aware of.

Back to point...

The NFL is in LA for advertising dollars in the 2nd largest market.  Selling seats helps the optics and the trendsetters in LA will absolutely want to say they were there for the opening of the new shiny stadium.  I suspect even the Chargers will sell out early on.

San Diego will not have the Chargers back so long as Spanos owns the team.  The stadium is not long from demolition, there is no replacement and the city will not even try to work with the Spanos family.  If he sells they may come back.  If he keeps the team, he's stuck in LA because he could never afford another relocation fee.

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

This. This. This.  

If the two Dougs could just have found a way to not absolutely despise one another and then found a Quarterback...... they had this organisation on the right track, headed in the right direction with talent on both sides of the ball.  They were a QB and a couple of linemen away at the end of the 2014 season from not just being a playoff team but from being a contender.  They had just won 9 games with EJ and Orton for crying out loud.  

I feel like we are close to back where we started when Buddy and Chan arrived.  We have some fading old players and some not very good young players.  

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Back in the summer, I said McDermott reminded me of Jauron.  Although he's a better coach than Jauron, the resemblance to Jauron remains.  This team bears a depressing similarity to Jauron's 2008 team, which also started out 5-2 ... 

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Exactly. I was skeptical of McDermott & Beane from their hiring, even more so after they began their fire sale of all the young talent on the team. This team is going nowhere this season and will be even worse next. 

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

You are correct, no other teams have ever played bad games or lost before.....

Damn straight I am.   What have you done for me lately.  

2 huge blowouts and 10 points scored before "garbage time" arrived late in the game when the other team said enough, I give you mercy.

9 hours ago, Tcali said:

Woods left as a FA and most would have wanted him back but not at what the Rams gave him.

Watkins was going to want more and hasn't shown he was worth more, so he was going to leave anyway, and outside of maybe 3 games so far, he has been his usual HOFdecoy

People couldn't get rid of Goodwin faster cause he couldn't stay healthy

Gilmore left in FA and had Pats fans already running him out of town for his bad play

Dareus isn't even starting and is playi g like 25% of the Jags snaps on defence, on a defence that was already very good without him.

As for Rex, when doesn't he feel good about himself?

25 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Damn straight I am.   What have you done for me lately.  

2 huge blowouts and 10 points scored before "garbage time" arrived late in the game when the other team said enough, I give you mercy.

Wait, so now during garbage time they let up and allowed the Bills to score? I thought I read in other spots that the backups didn't let up cause they have future jobs and contracts to play for, now they had mercy?

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Wait, so now during garbage time they let up and allowed the Bills to score? I thought I read in other spots that the backups didn't let up cause they have future jobs and contracts to play for, now they had mercy?

people can't have it both ways.  Taylor pit up 7  points in 3 QTRs against NYJ and 3  points in 3 QTRs against NO.  

If you want to say TT scored 14 points against the NYJ in the 4th QTR , you have to say NP scored 7 points against the Saints  and credit both equally. 

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Winning team, promising franchise QB, top offense and yet the stadium is half full. They don't deserve a team and this is why they lost the team's before.

I live in LA...there is MORE to this story.

1.  Have you ever been to a game at the Coliseum?  I have, and was even at the Bills/Rams game last year as well as various USC games.  It sucks.  Its cool from a history point of view, but its a pain in the ass to get there, to uber there, uber out of there, park, etc.  And once you are there, its hot as hell, super uncomfortable to sit in, even steep, tall, and crooked stairs to get up and down to the tunnels.  

2.  New stadium will be 100 times better in all those regards in a much easier location to get to with proper parking, amenities, and fan experience.  Once that is open, you will see this stadium much fuller.  

3.  Rams havent been here long, lots of people have still been wondering if it was fools gold or is this team really this good.  As they continue to keep rolling, you will see this fan base start to rally as they start to believe.  

4.  LA was always a bigger Raider town than Rams town...it will take time for the Rams to fully reestablish themselves.  Chargers on the other hand are in trouble...as the 2nd team and long time rival to LA's Raider fan base, they will have a much harder time establishing a home here.

I have several friends with season tickets, and they often sell or give them away unless its a big game because its so inconvenient and uncomfortable to go to the stadium.  USC sells out because it has a rabid college fan base and a long time institution.  Things will changes as the Rams reestablish themselves.

It really isn't all that complicated.  There are few fans in LA that can remember when the Rams were here before, and virtually none that remember the 1960 Chargers.  Los Angeles got two teams clear out of the blue, and they both just sort of ended up here.  It wasn't like there was a big fan-based push to get EITHER of these Teams.  It'll therefore take some time before the fans return to the stadium in large numbers.  The LA fans were burned twice when the Raiders and Rams left before.  I don't blame them for being a bit gun-shy!

19 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

So I do know that LA actually has permission from the NFL that 20k in seats are not used. So if you watched the game yesterday you shouldve seen the top half empty on purpose because those are in the 20k not being sold. Not in complete defense of LA because I do think the fans are fair weather as heck, but they had major issues last year with the stadium in terms of concourse being over crowded, bathrooms over crowded and flowing, vendors running out of water etc... I do think that played a major role in why they limited the seats to 70k instead of 90k. That said I think even they knew 90k is hard in that market but will never admit to it.

20 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

You might also argue the opposite:

Why spend precious money on tickets when you can sit at home and watch the game for free?

Under this analysi the loyal Bills Mafia are the idiots.  They spend hard earned money to watch a mediocre product in miserable weather conditions.  Who is smarter?

(BTW I am one of the idiots spending money on Buffalo tickets)

I dont know how anyone can have watched this team for the last eighteen years and think that Gilmore, Dareus, Woods, or Watkins mean anything.   They are just the latest in a long long line of players who played on talented teams without a quarterback.    We didnt win with them and we wont win without them unless they find a quarterback.  I could care less if they are gone, they simply dont matter.

Woods and Watkins are playing with a first overall pick at quarterback

Gilmore is playing with Brady

and Dareus is on a Jaguars team who has the benefit of playing in a division where they play Tom Savage and Jacboy Brissett four games during the season.    Next year will be a much different story for them, unless they find a quarterback.  You cant rely on defense, you cant.

LA may not deserve a good team, but by the end of year they will have two.  The Chargers are about to go on a run.   And at that point someone will say "OMG why didnt we keep Anthony Lynn as Head Coach."   Coaches dont matter, wideouts dont matter, fat defensive tackles dont matter...GET A QUARTERBACK!