What is your favorite Buffalo Bills memory?

For me I would say when the Bill beat the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game. 

However, every time I go to a game, my favorite moment is when I park my car and open my door and I'm hit with the smell of tailgating and the sound of Bills fans having a great time laughing and talking

CBF

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Amen to your tailgating comment CBF.  Nothing like it especially at the opener.  It’s probably only second to Christmas when you were a kid.

Aside from that I was hooked the first time I walked into what was then Rich stadium.  I was ten years old and my Grandfather took me to a game.  It was all just larger than life.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

Amen to your tailgating comment CBF.  Nothing like it especially at the opener.  It’s probably only second to Christmas when you were a kid.

Aside from that I was hooked the first time I walked into what was then Rich stadium.  I was ten years old and my Grandfather took me to a game.  It was all just larger than life.  

That's a good one.

I love when I walk from the concessions out to the stairwell and out to the seats and you see the field for the first time....

CBF

Favorite Bills memory (other than all the 90's wins), was a game against the Jets back in the early 80's I believe,  against the NY Jets, it was a cold, rainy game, and we won the game at the end with an interception by either Jeff Nixon or Steve Freeman. Can't remember which but I can still see the tv and him jumping up to get the ball.

Had the best time ever at the Raiders playoff game laughing hard while winning 51-3 but man the greatest comeback game ever is one that still gives me chills down my back screaming 3 more to go, 2 more to go, 1 more to go as they take the win. I remember yelling at fans that were leaving, those are my two top.

I wish I would have been to the game they tore down the posts. I have to say all the Kelly years hold my fondest memories,  having a QB named machine gun over the water guns we have had since make any teams after Kelly impossible to even consider IMO.

I have a collection of memories from when I was 7-12 years old. It was during our Super Bowl years and right after. My mom and step-father HATE sports. I loved the Bills. Every sunday I would wake up and read the local sports section front to back, absorbing all Bills related and general NFL related news and stories. My step dad and I would walk through town, usually to pick up breakfast. I would babble the entire time about the days matchup or how the season was going, how each player could impact the game, what we needed to do to win the game. I am positive that my step dad wanted to blow his brains out the entire time, but he just let me vent. Years later he told me that yes he did abhor listening to sports talk, but he loved seeing my passion and excitement for something and that is why he allowed himself to suffer through Sundays during football season. 

The Buffalo Bills for me, like many of you here, have been a life long obsession for me. I cannot possibly pick out one single memory, so I chose to go with my earliest memories of Bills fanhood that shaped me into who I am, as a fan, today. And a nice little tribute to one of the most important people in my life, my step Dad. 

Thanks for indulging.

Edited by PaattMaann
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

However, every time I go to a game, my favorite moment is when I park my car and open my door and I'm hit with the smell of tailgating and the sound of Bills fans having a great time laughing and talking

CBF

....but then it turns into what Plenz has done in his “personal” restroom up in the 300’s pre-game. :o

I guess we all have our own little rituals, but maybe slow down on the gumbo and jambalaya a bit?   

:D

I think the happiest I’ve ever been leaving a game was at home against the Raiders on a Monday night. I remember sitting in the car trying to get out of the lot listening to the post-game on the radio, and wishing it would never end. Thank you, Ahmad Rashad. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I think the happiest I’ve ever been leaving a game was at home against the Raiders on a Monday night. I remember sitting in the car trying to get out of the lot listening to the post-game on the radio, and wishing it would never end. Thank you, Ahmad Rashad. 

Another great one. I was at that game too. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Augie said:

1974 opener and oddly, it didn't sell out, which meant that if you weren't there, in WNY all you had was the radio.

Hard to pick.  On the list would be:

Having Cookie put me on his shoulder at autograph day, then catching a pass from Jack Kemp

Seeing Stratton hit Keith Lincoln and being at the Rockpile for the first AFL championship

Season opener in 1974 when we beat the Raiders.  Still the best Monday night game I ever saw.

Helping carry the goalpost to Ralph's box after we finally beat the Fish opening day 1980.

51-3 and going to the first Super Bowl

The Comeback Game

If I had to pick one, it would be the Stratton hit and the first championship.  I was a little kid and it was an awesome day.

As someone who began following the Bills and the NFL in 2002 and only had the facility to watch every game live since 2006 I am only picking between drought moments.  It boils down to two for me......

- September 2011 home victory over the Patriots.  Freddie being down at the 1 or 2 yard line and knowing that they couldn't stop the clock and we were going to have a FG for the win.  

- December 2014 home victory over the Packers.  We shut down ARod for most of the game.... the safety to seal the win was an orgasmic moment.  Thigpen's return TD was pretty epic too.  

If I was to add a third it would be the EJ comeback against the Panthers.  At that stage I thought "maybe this kid is legit?" 

On the flip side, and not to bring things down a peg or two..... but last Thursday was one of the worst nights.  By 4am UK time when the game finished I went to bed feeling physically nauseous. It was just such a letdown.  I honestly thought it would be a tough game but we'd find a way and be 6-2 and in touching distance of ending the drought. Friday felt like a day of mourning.  

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

Halftime of the 1990 AFC championship and we were up 41-3.  The high-fiving, hugging and other highjinx in the concourse...we knew we were going to the Super Bowl.

That's right at the top for me, too. What an amazing feeling.

Another great one was the 9-6 game against the Jets that clinched the division. You could probably hear the sound of Fred Smerlas big paw blocking the potential game-winning field goal from outside the stadium. My father and I were at that one, and he HATED traffic, so we left our seats and watched the FG from the top of the aisle. When it was blocked, we rushed back to our seats.

For me the four straight superbowl seasons as a whole. For those that were kids at the time like myself it set the bar very high in terms of what to expect from this team on a year to year basis. Probably also why the last 17 years have been so depressing and frustrating.

Regardless nothing can take away the memories of those late 80's/90 Bills teams that were always in the mix and the four straight superbowls is still something we'll probably never see any team do again.

Beating the Giants at the Meadowlands in December 1990, proving the Bills were without question the best team in pro football on that day since i started watching 1973.

Will probably never happen again.

and then they biffed it in the Super Bowl to the Giants....

Edited by row_33

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

fandemonium is one of the best word creations ever.  I am actually surprised the Bills don’t play it up in their marketing efforts.

Agreed. It beats the heck out of what they have come up with in the past few years. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

CBF

Tailgating comment is spot on. In late summer when I smell a BBQ I start thinking football. The noise, smell, and energy pre game is unrivaled.

Anywho in regards to memory team wise I am 29 so I have to go off what I actually remember not what I was alive for (otherwise anything from the 1990 season gives me chills). The Packers 2014 game takes the cake because it was a truly meaningful game in December against a great team that we actually beat. That was pretty special at the time and hanging out for an hour after to celebrate was surreal. The Panthers comeback by EJ in 2013 is an honorable mention that was pretty awesome at the time.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

- September 2011 home victory over the Patriots.  Freddie being down at the 1 or 2 yard line and knowing that they couldn't stop the clock and we were going to have a FG for the win.  

- December 2014 home victory over the Packers.  We shut down ARod for most of the game.... the safety to seal the win was an orgasmic moment.  Thigpen's return TD was pretty epic too. 

Those two are pretty solid.  I would put that Packers game a nose ahead of the Patriots game. 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Beating the Giants at the Meadowlands in December 1990, proving the Bills were without question the best team in pro football on that day since i started watching 1973.

Sheer luck that we won that game. Otis Anderson did not hardly play, it was Rodney Hampton carrying the rock. The Giants put up more yards than us, had 15+ minutes on time of possession, more first downs,  half as many penalties, and half as many sacks and they still lost.

Originally a St. Louis Cardinals fan and huge fan of Otis Anderson, I did not have a good feeling when it became obvious they were just going to keep giving Otis the ball in the Super Bowl. I had only been a Bills fan for 2 years at that point, but it damn near killed me.  Still don't like to think about it.

As for my favorite moment it is easily the Comeback.

2 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Halftime of the 1990 AFC championship and we were up 41-3.  The high-fiving, hugging and other highjinx in the concourse...we knew we were going to the Super Bowl.

^^^ This . . . Partying and drinking champagne with 80,000 of my closest friends that entire second half. 

When I sat in my car in my parking lot at work listening intently on radio to the breaking news spilling all over the airwaves that it has been confirmed that Terry Pegula had entered into an agreement with the trust of Ralph Wilson estate to purchase the Buffalo Bills. Not a rumor not hopeful but confirmed. Finally a ray of sunshine had beared down on the Bills franchise. Hope of better days to come was in the air.

I can not explain that feeling. It only comes around a few times in a persons life.

The whirlwind that followed with Pegulaville and first press conference was almost as good at times especially when Terry announced:

"My name is Terry Pegula and the Pegulas just bought a football team. Actually, that’s not totally correct. (Pauses) I knew that this was going to happen. We all just bought a team. Our team: the Buffalo Bills. The name of our team will not change. It will stay the Buffalo Bills. I was humbled by you, all the fans, and the outpouring of emotion that I saw when our name was announced as the winner of the bid. I could not believe the pent-up fear of losing the team that was released by you, the fans. I just happened to be in Traverse City, Michigan watching the young Sabres play in that tournament up there. I was driving home, and I don’t want to say I didn’t have anything to do, but I put the radio on and WGR was on and I could not believe what I heard from fans. The one guy we’ve talked about is JR from the Dominican Republic. We want to meet him because I think he was the first caller and he was awesome.

The raw emotion was amazing. Probably will never be duplicated until Bills win a Super Bowl.

Edited by cba fan

Too many:

- OJ gaining 1,000 yards at the seven game mark on MNF with Howard Cosell and Don Meredith  egging on the crowd

- Beating the Dolphins and ending the streak.

- Beating the Rams in 1980 and the curtain call

- The 1987 season, we knew the team was back.

- Sitting in Saudi Arabia with 500 military personnel watching the Bills demolish the Raiders to go to their first SB; lots of Buffalo pride that day. It made up for the 1968. 1971, 1972, 1976, 1977, 1984, and 1985 seasons! Almost!

- The comeback game against the Oilers.

- Flutie magic against Jacksonville

Biggest Disappointment - The 1966 AFL Championship game, winner goes to first Superbowl and Bills get bear 31 - 7; back in those days you just expected them to win!

Taking my kids to their first NFL game against the Broncos in September. Didn't want to leave the stadium after the game. They still talk about the super-exuberant guy sitting next to them: "If this isn't a top 5 defense, I don't know what is!!!!". Walking past Andre Reed on the way back to the car. Going out to eat before the flight home, still seeing all the Bills jerseys and talking Bills with the waiter. 

As for game play, it's the Comeback hands down.

• Like (+1) 1

My favorite memory had to do with one former Bill. Fred Smerlas. I was but a wee lad, maybe 7 or 8 when my mom came home from work one cold, snowy afternoon. She had heard that the big guy was coming to Batavia for a meet and greet at the tiny mall there.

We got there on time and there were maybe 100-150 people already there. Time came for him to show up...no Fred. Half hour later...no Fred. People were getting frustrated and the atmosphere was tense. It was getting loud and people were being obnoxious. 

Suddenly the crowd just got dead silent and I looked up to see a mountain of a man walk past. No joke (to an 8 year old) this was the biggest man alive. He walked up to the front and said in his loud voice..."Yea, got stuck in the snow. It happens."

He stayed way past his allotted time to make sure everyone got an autograph. I still remember being in awe when it was my turn, he signed my Melton's Smerlas sweatshirt, a football card and asked me who my favorite player on the team was. I panicked and said it was Joe Theisman. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I was a kid and my mom bought me and my brother season tickets in the inaugural season of Rich Stadium and opening day in a brand new stadium (after the Rockpile) OJ rushed for 250 yards and we killed the Patriots. 

Umm...that game was in New England.

36 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Too many:

- Beating the Rams in 1980 and the curtain call

Now, that was a great moment too.  Freddy Smerlas leading some players back out onto the field and doing a victory dance, while we fans stayed and savored the victory.

Edited by Ned Flanders

1990 Bills 51 / Raiders 3

- The hit laid out by Jamie Mueller on a sweep (either Kenneth Davis or Thurman running?)

- I think it was in the 4th quarter. You could hear the hit on TV. They kept replaying it on TV too. The Raider players helmet was streaked with red marks from Mueller's helmet!

Edited by I'm Spartacus

Too many !!!!! But one I haven’t shared was the ‘91 Steelers game when Kelly threw 4 first half picks. 

My buddy Joe and I had season tickets in the tunnel EZ. Two Steelers fans were in front of us just being Jackwagons. Taunting us with” How many picks was that ?  Two picks!!!”  Etc

Then Kelly started throwing TDs. 6 total.

They left in the early fourth as we kept taunting them, “ How many TDs was that? 3 TDs.” Etc

I agree that both the 1990 AFC Championship game against the Raiders and "The Comeback" were equally thrilling and emotional.

For me, the edge goes to the Championship game. I was so sick of hearing how the Raiders were going to destroy the Bills, had already made plans for the week in Florida, etc. We didn't just beat them: We obliterated them! It was such an awesome feeling that we were going to the Superbowl and were the favorites!! Can't top that feeling!

Edited by Houston's #1 Bills Fan