Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just wondering about the timing. Bills unexpectedly are in the playoff mix (it is very early). Dareus has underperformed, has an onerous contract and off field issues. But on the field, even if underperforming, he has helped give the Bills a strong front seven. I figured he'd be gone after the season.

Time to hope that they win out and put a hurt on some wildcard teams on their way to the division. If its a 5th and its because they got the last wildcard and we are outside looking in... thatd hurt.

If he helps them shore up their run defense to go along with their pass rush and coverage excellence, look out.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Having an unmotivated, underperforming malcontent, especially when he's the highest paid player on the team, can be detrimental to team chemistry and morale.

My guess is they determined his performance on the field did not outweigh the negative effect of his presence. He wasn't exactly killing it out there.

This also sends a message that no one is bigger than the team.

Edited by Rob's House

Just got home from work. Glad we traded him. If Kyle retires he would be completely useless next season. Seems like Kyle is the only thing he plays for. Good player when right. Never right. Peace.

I looked through a couple pages of the thread and didn't see the answer to what I was wondering, so I'll ask. What's the cap hit next season? I thought there was a cap hit if traded. Or was it just a huge hit if we cut him?

As kirby points out though - is Tanner Vallejo and... Andre Holmes(? Or dimarco? Or groy though a little high on the price comps) better for this team than even mediocre dareus?

Whatd be really Billsy is if we end up signing a mediocre vet DT to replace him and that guy costs us a comp pick one day. Itd be like a TBD perfect storm.

It probably comes down to how much you think culture plays a role. If you don't believe in that kind of thing, I can see the trade being hard to accept.

If anybody cares about leadership theory, many books - 21 Irrefutable Rules of Leadership, Decisive, The Effective Executive are a few I can think of - all have a theme about how members of a team know first who isn't a good team member, and the longer you wait to address it the more credibility you lose as a leader. Now this is for the business world, but I think it still applies. People know when someone isn't pulling their weight, and if you're complicit it's noticed.

Some people might think that's crap or not applicable to pro sports. If you believe it though, and given what BB has preached I assume he does, then this is the right move.

Edited by disco

Im not against getting rid of Dareus. You either had to get good value or keep him through next year. The Bills didnt do that. Those were your 2 options.

Your assumption they'd have gotten more later is erroneous one must assume. Or they would have done so.

People in the league see what goes on with players. Got what they could for a guy that doesn't seem interested in football.

The re-build begins next year, we should start thinking about the playoffs in year 22 of the drought.

GO BILLS ... 2022 or bust.

Expect Cordy gone by lunch on Tuesday.

I get the sentiment, but that's way too pessimistic. 2019 baby! All the bad contracts will be out of the way, decent drafts (these guys do seem to know what they're doing) will start to accumulate a good talent reserve, and somewhere that elusive QB of the future will be found, even if it isn't a true franchise guy (think: Andy Dalton, the pre-2016 Alex Smith, etc., etc.). I'm starting to tend toward clearing the cap room = making a big play for Garoppolo or Cousins.

It probably comes down to how much you think culture plays a role. If you don't believe in that kind of thing, I can see the trade being hard to accept.

If anybody cares about leadership theory, many books - 21 Irrefutable Rules of Leadership, Decisive, The Effective Executive are a few I can think of - all have a theme about how members of a team know first who isn't a good team member, and the longer you wait to address it the more credibility you lose as a leader. Now this is for the business world, but I think it still applies. People know when someone isn't pulling their weight, and if you're complicit it's noticed.

Some people might think that's crap or not applicable to pro sports. If you believe it though, and given what BB has preached I assume he does, then this is the right move.

Who sez disco is dead?

@joebuscaglia

#Bills GM Beane to me in August: Yeah, any player that's not buying in, we'll find a way to move on without him.

I don't understand why this very simple, basic line of reasoning is lost on so many people.

This is a perfect example of addition by subtraction.

It may hurt the team a little now, but the foundation of players moving toward a common goal just got much stronger.

dareus will probably go celebrate tonight and get in trouble

I’d rather he celebrate passing the physical. THEN he can celebrate all he wants! But don’t blow our chance at a 5th rounder until after the draft! :)

I don't understand why this very simple, basic line of reasoning is lost on so many people.

It may hurt the team a little now, but the foundation of players moving toward a common goal just got much stronger.

As much as I hate it, I think I’m in the same boat. I know how much he COULD mean to a team, but he just hasn’t shown a willingness to do what it takes. How long do you just let that slide? What does it say to the rest of the team? I’m sure some are probably pissed that an extreme talent (and their friend) got moved, but DO YOUR JOB! You can be set for life with a few years of doing it right.

Youd think they would have learned after the Sammy and Darby trades.

@JohnKryk

My analysis of #Bills trading long-troubled DT Marcell Dareus to Tom Coughlin's (?!) Jacksonville #JaguarsNFL_2017_JAXJaguars_v2.png:

http://torontosun.com/sports/football/bills-pull-off-another-blockbuster-deal-dareus-to-jaguars

The prototypical Tom Coughlin NFL player thrives in a culture of discipline, is accountable, gives maximum effort at all times, doesn’t sulk, and isn’t a chronic screwup off the field.

To be nice, let’s just say Marcell Dareus doesn’t exactly qualify across the board.

Yet Friday night, in the latest bombshell move transacted by the new Buffalo Bills regime, Dareus became a Jacksonville Jaguar.

Youd think they would have learned after the Sammy and Darby trades.

Learned what? That EJ Gaines can't stay on the field with 2 missed games to go along with two DNFs. Jordan Matthews has also has a missed game along with a DNF. Meanwhile the Rams and Eagles lead their respective divisions at 6-1 and 5-2.

Your assumption they'd have gotten more later is erroneous one must assume. Or they would have done so.

People in the league see what goes on with players. Got what they could for a guy that doesn't seem interested in football.

It has nothing to do with what they would have gotten and everything to do with the cost associated with getting rid of him.

Learned what? That EJ Gaines can't stay on the field with 2 missed games to go along with two DNFs. Jordan Matthews has also has a missed game along with a DNF. Meanwhile the Rams and Eagles lead their respective divisions at 6-1 and 5-2.

Not to mention if Sammy Watkins is doing nothing for the Rams as so many people love to say then what is Jordan Matthews doing for the Bills?