Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are actually plenty of union reality shows. I've worked on a few. There's also quite a budget range these days. Something like Cops, or Big Brother are dirt cheap, because once they are set up, it's pretty much "run and gun" with a minimal crew. Other shows like Hell's Kitchen, or American Ninja Warrior have a pretty decent size budget, and pay pretty well, but are not in production for very long. A season of Hell's Kitchen takes only five weeks to shoot.

True. Huge range. And also some very well made ones. There are so many though and so many cheapies that I guess the percentages are low. You're right though. I was mostly thinking about the quick rise of them and why so many were made.

You can't call me a monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's r .....

real funny? Rape? Rigatoni? Rousing?

Wow so many garbage trump supporters on here

this is why everyone makes fun of bills fans.

no. They just make fun of you. Genius

Brian Orakpo

@rak98

That's how they really feel huh??? ‍♂️ These words out this man's mouth are infuriating to me and the rest of my brothers in this League

This is really the crux in micro and macro. A huge portion of the population (and posters here) just don't believe this to be true, and are not willing or able to see that this is how the majority of the players see it. It's pretty clear.

Brian Orakpo

@rak98

That's how they really feel huh??? ‍♂️ These words out this man's mouth are infuriating to me and the rest of my brothers in this League

@BossManMcNair

Brian, your words are hurtful. I am taking the bus, and you will not see me at the pancake social tomorrow.

Kapernick isn't a starting QB.

He was last year.

Consider application of the law. It's not that people shouldn't be punished, but they aren't punished proportionately. Non-violent offenders are more likely to go to jail if they are a minority.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Prisoner_Demographics.svg

Equality doesn't mean we all have the same everything, it means we're all treated the same regardless of what we look like or how much money we make. That has never been achieved, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it.

The OJ trial proved the system works. A rich black man can get off just like a rich white man.

Exactly, people need to wake up and see we have an economic problem not a race problem

Bad example. And why there is such a divide. OJ got off to two equal reasons, his money paid for the dream team, and, that dream team played the race card. He got off because the black jurors believed the white cops could have framed him. Not his money. His money paid for the guys that knew that and did everything they could to get black jurors to believe white cops screw them. And so many black people in LA are willing to believe that because crap has happened to them. It wasn't at all about money. The money paid for smart people to expose the race issue.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I guess players only feel players have free speech rights ?

I think you're confusing "free speech rights" and "listener's rights"

The players have free speech rights. In return, people observing their protests have the right to comment or to modify their behavior to boycott games if they consider the "free speech" offensive to them.

Texan's owner has a free speech right. In return, the players have a right to react and modify their behavior.

This is the dumbest thing I've read since the Anquan Boldin thread.

It's a common phrase, with a colloquial understanding, which was stated incorrectly. There is no inference of racism.

This is just more horseshit from idiots looking for things to be offended about where no offense exists.

I agree.

I think it is also counterproductive to what things they are trying to accomplish, to behave so stupidly.

It's a metaphor. "We can't have the inmates running the prison". Was he calling the team a "prison"? No. It stands to reason, then, that he wasn't calling the players "inmates". Did the players not learn what a metaphor is in all of their years of elementary, secondary, and higher levels of education? Ridiculous.

Dumb.

1. It's a figure of speech, although technically I think it goes "inmates running the asylum"

2. How horrible of McNair not wanting his employees staging protests on company time on company property. I totally respect the players right to protest anything they want, but do it on your own time in a public place. The teams and networks don't owe anyone that forum.

Fox did the right thing when they decided to just not show the national anthem. Now, if CBS, NBC, ESPN & NFL Network followed suit, these players would only be seen in the stadiums so less of an impact.

Not sure how true this is but it is pretty plain.

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/alcoholism/risk-factors.html

Risk Factors

According to the U.S. National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, about 70% of American adults always drink at low-risk levels or do not drink at all. (Thirty-five percent of Americans do not consume alcohol.) About 28% of American adults drink at levels that put them at risk for alcohol dependence and alcohol-related problems.

RACE AND ETHNICITY

Overall, there is no difference in alcoholic prevalence among African-Americans, Caucasians, and Hispanic-Americans. Some population groups, however, such as Native Americans, have an increased incidence of alcoholism while others, such as Jewish and Asian Americans, have a lower risk. Although the biological or cultural causes of such different risks are not known, certain people in these population groups may have a genetic susceptibility or invulnerability to alcoholism because of the way they metabolize alcohol.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

It's a metaphor. "We can't have the inmates running the prison". Was he calling the team a "prison"? No. It stands to reason, then, that he wasn't calling the players "inmates". Did the players not learn what a metaphor is in all of their years of elementary, secondary, and higher levels of education? Ridiculous.

Of course they know it's a metaphor. It just happens to be an insulting metaphor.

Anybody pretending that "Inmates running the prison" is a common phrase (hint: it's "asylum") and that the usage of prison had nothing to do with the players being black needs to do some serious introspection about why they so desperately need to deny the existence of racism in American society

Edited by Avisan

And the NFL is terrified of alienating them.

They are? Just what has the NFL done through all of this to appease these " racist" fans of which you speak?

Anybody pretending that "Inmates running the prison" is a common phrase (hint: it's "asylum") and that the usage of prison had nothing to do with the players being black needs to do some serious introspection about why they so desperately need to deny the existence of racism in American society

It's not uncommon for someone to misstate a commonly used phrase. He screwed up one word. One that might seem fitting to use after the word " inmates". We know what the commonly used saying is; McNair screwed it up. I'd bet if he had said " asylum" some whiny bit@&es would be saying it was insensitive to the mentally ill. So much PC garbage out there. I hope his employees walk out and he doesn't pay them. He owns his business and can say what he wants, just as his players have.

Fox did the right thing when they decided to just not show the national anthem. Now, if CBS, NBC, ESPN & NFL Network followed suit, these players would only be seen in the stadiums so less of an impact.

I would be on board with this. Have them use their " platform" on their own time, not the league's.

Consider application of the law. It's not that people shouldn't be punished, but they aren't punished proportionately. Non-violent offenders are more likely to go to jail if they are a minority.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Prisoner_Demographics.svg

Equality doesn't mean we all have the same everything, it means we're all treated the same regardless of what we look like or how much money we make. That has never been achieved, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for it.

That is on the money.

That is on the money.

Give them Zay. He wouldn't have caught the comment.

Now that really is funny.

Brian Orakpo

@rak98

Be infuriated if you wish, but you are the LABOR. Not the owner of the business. You don't make the rules, or the tough decisions needed in running the business. Players don't care if they offend customers of the league, but get offended at a trite phrase being butchered by an old guy? The owners will decide how to run things. That's just how it is. Amazing that these tough guys are such pansies over a few words.

Not really. The last actors strike was 1980 for three months. The one before that was led by Reagan in 1960. The Reality Show craze and boon started in the late 80s and early 90s with Survivor and Real World and Big Brother. Then exploded in the early 2000s. The writer's strike, if that's what you mean, was 2008. The industry did learn you didn't need writers for Reality Shows, nor actors, but that was long ago and not the reason people watch them. It's the reason a lot are made because they are so cheap.

It was the 1988 Writers Guild strike that set off the "reality show" craze. It was the longest Hollywood strike ever and forced the TV studios to fill time with whatever they could get their hands on that didn't require writers. That's when the entertainment/gossip shows like Entertainment Tonight launched along with the flashy news shows like Inside Edition. When the strike ended, the studios looked at what it cost to do an episode of a drama or "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire," and made the fiscal decision to do a whole lot more of the latter.

How about this one: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2574163-book-excerpt-daniel-snyder-and-the-unreal-power-of-nfl-owners

"The NFL owners are an interesting group. There are a handful of high-profile owners, but most stay in the background. Ownership meetings are among the most secretive aspects of professional football.

Some owners (and management personnel, including general managers) are genuinely decent people who want the best for their players. Some other owners see their teams simply as ATM machines, and the players as interchangeable parts.

They don't see the players as true partners. If they did, they would care more about them, and definitely not say what the owner of the Texans said to GQ magazine in early 2015.

In the story, Texans owner Bob McNair was quoted as being dismissive of the NFL's concussion crisis, saying, unbelievably, that most head trauma of NFL players didn't happen in professional football."

He may have a point. The average NFL career is 3.5 seasons. These players quite possibly were subject to more head trauma ( at a younger , more susceptible age) playing in little loop, high school and college ball.

Be infuriated if you wish, but you are the LABOR. Not the owner of the business. You don't make the rules, or the tough decisions needed in running the business. Players don't care if they offend customers of the league, but get offended at a trite phrase being butchered by an old guy? The owners will decide how to run things. That's just how it is. Amazing that these tough guys are such pansies over a few words.

And when the LABOR decides not to labor, what sort of business does McNair own? I'm not tuning in on Sunday to watch Pegs shuffle fracking leases.

This is a serious question. I don't think it has a definitive answer. I don't think anyone can say this is right and that is wrong. It is an opinion question. And I'm just curious as to what people think about it.

From what you just posted, and I assume you believe, do you find any difference, small or large, between a business that lets say makes widgets, from unskilled labor, and anyone off the street could be hired to replace the last guy or gal and make these widgets, that has ZERO to do with your bottom line. They are just worker bees to produce the genius of you and your inner management circle - VERSUS - a company you rely on for their expertise. They are the ones that know how to make the widgets and not a lot of people do. They had to go to college and train for years to know how to make widgets, and it's clear to everyone all of the time that some employees are better widget makers than others. And you just bought this company. You don't know how to make widgets either. Not one of them. Without these specific highly skilled and highly trained workers, your business couldn't function.

Do you see any difference in that? As far as what you said about owning a business and dealing with your hired workers? Maybe not. Maybe there isn't one.

I think there is but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the boss is king everywhere and everyone regardless of skill or worth or experience should just do what bossman says.

Highly doubtfull. They posted this to the media as a thinky veiled threat. If they were to walk out im certsin theres contractual language that would hold them acvountable for loss of revenue towards the team in addition to them likely not getting paid.

They were more than likely running there mouths. If they were going to do it they would have done it.