More “painful” layoffs coming for espn

YoloinOhio

I stopped watching ESPN outside of live sporting events and College Gameday as soon as they jumped on the political hype train. They, their producers and so called reporters, have no one to blame but themselves. Sports are a lot of people's haven away from the rest of the bullsh*t going on in this world. When you start crossing over that boundary by trying to force feed people the bullsh*t they are looking to avoid there will be a backlash. They still don't get it. Whatever happens is exactly what they had coming.

While I agree with that I think their downside started way, way before that, for several reasons within their control and a few out of their control.

About the only show I can listen to anymore is Mike and Mike. LeBatard doesn't even talk about sports. Bomani Jones just talks about how he hates white people. Too much SJW'ing going on. Keep politics out of sports. If i wanted politics, I'd tune to one of those channels. I tune to ESPN radio to listen to sports.

The only one that sticks to strictly sports with actual good insight is Mike and Mike.

I :rolleyes: seriously :rolleyes: can't :rolleyes: roll :rolleyes: my eyes :rolleyes: hard enough right now :rolleyes:

I can't believe you think Mike and Mike has good insight....

Though I do agree with your main point. Keep politics out of sports reporting.

The happy hour programing (Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption) are good, fun sports shows and non political. Take more the one hour of programing to save a network.

PTI was my favorite show on ESPN. However I have to credit them with ESPN's demise. When they put those 2 on and did jot takes for a half hour to huge rating success, ESPN made all their programming that way. First Take is basically PTI, ATH is basically PTI, it is like what reality tv did to network channels.

The hypocrisy abound in work real hard, live the American dream and you are entitled to every shred of what you earn, unless you are an athlete, in which case bow your head in humility, because these owners worked hard and never got a hand out, is astounding.

Why are athletes less entitled to the benefits of their hard work than a business man? I genuinely hope that the athletes all just quit to shove your hypocrisy and contradictions in your faces. Call yourselves conservatives, but you're not, the conservative party has been taken over by propogandists. You have no policy comebacks, just phrases you parrot reflexively if you get triggered, because you only want to hear words that make you feel good and don't challenge you. Whiny, mob mentality, snowflake cry babies.

Who is John Galt?

And ESPN radio is awful too. Just a total crap product now. I guess the website is still pretty good - I pretty much leave that page open all afternoon on NFL Sundays. But other than that, it has descended into total irrelevance.

I find Mike and Mike un listenable. Everything is a giant commercial right before they take huge 8 minute commercial breaks after less than 10 minutes of broadcast. I find their takes boring and vanilla. It's all very very bad

i have Directv Now because i got in on the introductory offer of $35 for like 100 channels plus HBO and I'm cheap and a sucker for a good deal. Unfortunately I don't get NFL Network (yet) so the only NFL shows I get are on ESPN and Fox Sports. There are shows on ESPN that are literally unwatchable. Disney absolutely ruined that channel and it's very sad. I grew up watching ESPN and now it's a shell of its former self.

I miss boomer on Sunday evenings with the highlight theme music. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

He's a horses ass.

Good, hope they go bankrupt. Started out as one of the best things to ever happen to sports but turned out to be one of the worst.

ditto

I find Mike and Mike un listenable. Everything is a giant commercial right before they take huge 8 minute commercial breaks after less than 10 minutes of broadcast. I find their takes boring and vanilla. It's all very very bad

Mike and Mike = Romper Room

Buff News should take this for an example, you get greedy and your fan base finds alternative ways to get their news.

They deserve it, karma always wins.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

Yup. Like I always say, when I was a kid there was enough news each day for one 30 minute broadcast. And there still is.

Hour after hour of four idiots who call themselves reporters sitting around blabbing about some other idiot reporter who twittered something about yet another idiot reporter.......it's honestly no different from the Real Housewives shows. Can't fathom who would watch that.

This is exactly the way I feel.

Somehow, I knew what was going on better, too, when it was half an hour of news. Too much noise to get thru now, I guess.

If only they never stopped broadcasting hockey games.

Not sure if you are joking or what...but you have no idea how much I miss Gary Thorne calling NHL games on ESPN!

When ESPN left, it opened the door to what is now NBC Sports Network and their go-to lineup of Doc Emrick and Pierre McGuire. They have become the voice of nationally televised hockey in the USA, and they are horrible.

Gary Thorne is fantastic. Still doing Orioles broadcasts I believe...

Buff News should take this for an example, you get greedy and your fan base finds alternative ways to get their news.

Imo

All I see are big golden locks on the front page of TBD and think to myself, "Cool, now I know what not to waste my time trying to read BN articles!" Now I just live with Bucky and Sully's inane tweets.

Not sure if you are joking or what...but you have no idea how much I miss Gary Thorne calling NHL games on ESPN!

When ESPN left, it opened the door to what is now NBC Sports Network and their go-to lineup of Doc Emrick and Pierre McGuire. They have become the voice of nationally televised hockey in the USA, and they are horrible.

Anyone commenting on this has to know that it's an extremely difficult job. And very few guys, either play by play, or analysts (two diametrically opposed jobs) are universally liked. It's really hard. Like you, I loved Gary Thorne. He was really good and had a great voice and for me, got excited the right amount of time.

Emrick and McGuire, however, and obviously just my take, suck ass but could be great. Potentially both of them are very good. They are both extremely knowledgeable, have good voices, and can do their jobs. But they SUCK at it. They don't talk about the game as it's happening, they go off on stupid tangents, they provide useless tidbits about teammates when they were 6 years old, and it's incredibly annoying to me. I know other fans I talked to agree but not sure what national consensus is.

I can only assume their bosses like how they call games and don't tell them to concentrate more on it. I think both of them could be great but they suck.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Mike and Mike is great schmaltz.  What funny is that about a year ago Mike Greenberg announced he was leaving to do his own TV shown but nothing is happening.  Mike and Mike keeps going on.  I think he realized that radio is best place to be. 

Nope. ESPN is charging ahead by dumping one of its few remaining shows that works in favor of two upcoming awful arrangements doomed to failure: Golic and Trey Wingo, and Greenberg on TV with an assortment of Golic subs.

http://nypost.com/2017/11/08/intense-pressure-awaits-mike-greenberg-at-espn/

I say this as someone who still enjoys Mike and Mike, schmaltzy as it is. We now know they can't stand each other, but dammit, they put on a good act. There isn't much else sports radio that I bother to listen to - Mike and Mike hit a nice spot between hard sports and entertainment, but it will now be just another thing from ESPN's heyday that is no more.

13 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Mike and Mike is great schmaltz.  What funny is that about a year ago Mike Greenberg announced he was leaving to do his own TV shown but nothing is happening.  Mike and Mike keeps going on.  I think he realized that radio is best place to be. 

When it was announced that Greenburg was leaving, the tentative date was always mid-November.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

NFL Primetime was a fantastic show and must see tv at the end of a Sunday.  I'm not much for pregame shows as I'm usually pregaming myself but yeah Berman is and was a national f*cking treasure!  :wub:

On 10/26/2017 at 8:08 PM, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Good. MSESPN is unwatchable when it's not showing games.

Sick burn!!! You forgot to add add snowflake or what super cool stupid term you must parrot.

People who take pleasure in other people losing their jobs are losers who probably don’t have much else going on.

Just now, section122 said:

NFL Primetime was a fantastic show and must see tv at the end of a Sunday.  I'm not much for pregame shows as I'm usually pregaming myself but yeah Berman is and was a national f*cking treasure!  :wub:

It was one that I always looked forward to.  :thumbsup:

On 10/28/2017 at 1:21 AM, Fadingpain said:

Good ole Avalanche/Red Wings games on ESPN.

On 10/27/2017 at 3:49 PM, Leroi said:

Imo

Yeah, how dare TBN charge 3 whole dollars per month for unlimited access to their work. Where do they get the nerve.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's extremely clear that  one subset of the population seems to be particularly up in arms about ESPN. I'm curious if there's a corollary here to opinions on bathrooms, water fountains, or voting rights...

I don't care what side they're on, I just don't want politics in sports.  There's enough outlets to get politics on.  When I decide I want to tune out of that, and just get some sports, I don't want them coming at me..............I grew up on sports, and pretty much had no idea what the politics were of just about any athletes, announcers, etc.  No reason to know it now. 

• Like (+1) 1

ESPN ran into a perfect storm.

First, they expanded too much... ESPN, ESPN2, WatchESPN, ESPNU, ESPNnews

Then, they got more competition... NBCsports, CBSsports, FOXsports, MSG, SNY, other regional stations

Then, they expanded even more... Conference networks are related to ESPN, such as ACC network

AHHHHH... Too much coverage and not enough sports

Then, the sports leagues charge crazy prices for broadcast rights

Then, some of the on-air "personalities" started getting huge contracts

I don't think there is anything that ESPN can do to return to the past and make ESPN great again.

On 10/27/2017 at 2:14 PM, YoloinOhio said:
On 10/27/2017 at 2:09 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Darn millennials are ruining everything !!!

What was wrong with the bar stool?

Espn gave them a show, Ponder tweeted that she was disappointed they gave them a show and screen shotted some nasty sexist stuff they said about her 3 years ago. Then they tried to take her down by digging through her tweets and found some interesting stuff from 7 years ago. She then apologized but her and Sarah Spain got espn to cancel the Barstool show after 1 episode. Then they found more old tweets from Ponder and also from Spain that were nasty toward fellow female sports journalists and the hypocrisy meter was in overdrive.

I follow some barstool stuff and after seeing the episode I honestly didn't think it was anything bad compared to what they do on their site and in general for a 1 am show I thought it was pretty decent. I think they were better off hiring the two guys from barstool as "associates" and that would've severed the barstool ties content wise. I get the move on ESPN's part because Barstool can be quite crude in certain ways, but then why did you sign up in the first place.

8 hours ago, bbb said:

I don't care what side they're on, I just don't want politics in sports.  There's enough outlets to get politics on.  When I decide I want to tune out of that, and just get some sports, I don't want them coming at me..............I grew up on sports, and pretty much had no idea what the politics were of just about any athletes, announcers, etc.  No reason to know it now. 

That era is gone. Politics are so pervasive and acrimonious now that they are in practically every single facet of American life. There is no refuge any more.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/10/2017 at 12:18 PM, jr1 said:

I hate 4 person studio shows and 3 people in the broadcast booth

This is one of the reasons Vin Scully was the greatest baseball broadcaster ever.   Didn't need a studio crew, bimbo on the field or rambling dope next to him.

I laugh whenever I watch old videos of the '86 World Series where they had Vin in the booth with Joe Garagiola.   Garagiola would say something about every ten minutes.  He was the perfect color man!  :lol:

B$PN, the Worldwide Leader in Lies and Misinformation...

13 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

ESPN ran into a perfect storm.

First, they expanded too much... ESPN, ESPN2, WatchESPN, ESPNU, ESPNnews

Then, they got more competition... NBCsports, CBSsports, FOXsports, MSG, SNY, other regional stations

Then, they expanded even more... Conference networks are related to ESPN, such as ACC network

AHHHHH... Too much coverage and not enough sports

Then, the sports leagues charge crazy prices for broadcast rights

Then, some of the on-air "personalities" started getting huge contracts

I don't think there is anything that ESPN can do to return to the past and make ESPN great again.

They also operate with an agenda...

They aren't trustworthy. Even after Deflategate was proven to be a made up scheme by the NFL, Colts, and Ravens, B$PN continued to spread lies. We all knew they were lying. They knew, that we knew they were lying. They lied anyway...during primetime. They apologized for lying at 1AM. It took Mort 2 years to apologize for lying. THAT was the beginning of the end of B$PN...

I grew up in Ellington, CT, 40 minutes away from Bristol. I can't wait for this dung heap to go belly up! Except for Suzy Kolber. I'm with Broadway Joe! She can lie to me all night long...